April 2003 mamas? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2005, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We'll probably have a medium-size party just like we did for DS's 1st b-day. He's an only grandchild on my side of the family, and most of my family lives very close to us, so everyone likes to celebrate him. (And he sure doesn't mind it either!) I'm guessing we'll have my family as well as DS's godparents and DCP, a couple of our close friends, and another kid or two.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2005, 01:08 PM

Hey, I just found this thread! Can I join late?

My dd was born April 8, 2003!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm

Absolutely! Welcome! (I didn't start this thread, but hey...the more the merrier!)

Old 03-11-2005, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Please do join us!

Tell us a bit about yourself and your DD, we love to meet new people. Oh, and we've already played a little bit of "six degrees of separation" on this thread, so we're just one big happy bunch!

Although some of us are a little more tired than others--DS fussed from 12-2 last night, then he fell off our bed onto the toddler bed (it's only about three inches lower, but he wasn't intending to go there!), and went to sleep! When will he learn to sleep through the night?????

Alison
Old 03-11-2005, 05:57 PM

Hi, Alison. Just a hug for you.

Sorry you're so tired. Sleep deprivation is torture!

Old 03-12-2005, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

: : : : :

Well, I'm going to catch up on sleep tonight! Andrew is sleeping over at Granny's house, which means NO middle of the night waking for me! Hooray!

Alison
Old 03-12-2005, 02:38 AM

Thank you for the nice welcome.

I am a sahm two two beautiful children. My ds is 4 and my dd is 23 months (the April 03 baby).

I'm just enjoying motherhood. My kids are amazing!

Oh, and I live in Michigan where it's cold but starting to tempt us with warmer temperatures...
Old 03-12-2005, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, and I live in Michigan where it's cold but starting to tempt us with warmer temperatures...
Yeah, Nova Scotia just tried tempting uswith warmer temperatures last week, and today we're waiting for 20 cm of snow!

Alison
Old 03-12-2005, 01:55 PM

Alison-hope you got good sleep last night!

sahm- Welcome! Our weather is getting nicer and we are getting out more. We live by the beach so we collect rocks and shells at the beach or pinecones in our yard. She sleeps so much better on the days we can get out.

Is anyone else noticing your kid getting busier? The last few months dd is getting more active and prefering active games to calmer ones. We have a soft ball we kick around the living room and she loves to play chase or march around the couch. She just might get me in shape with this workout.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, Andrew is so active right now that I'm not sure I can keep up with him! He just had a wonderful night at his grandparents', and completely tired himself out. And them too, come to think of it! He's just a total ball of energy, and hasn't gained much weight recently cause he's burning it all off. I wish I had his energy and his metabolism!

Anyway, I'm off to the doctor. I seem to have thrush again. One of the drawbacks to extended breastfeeding! It's only the second bout I've had, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Andrew seems to not have it this time though, at least.

Alison
Old 03-12-2005, 04:35 PM

Yep, my dd has become more active lately. She asks all the time to go outside and ride her bike... An idea from her brother since she doesn't actually have a bike yet and doesn't know how to ride a bike. :LOL But her brother is asking for it, so she parrots his request...

I think spring fever is hitting my kids as hard as it is hitting me.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:24 PM

Yes, my DS is a total wiggle-bug, too. He literally never stops moving, even when he's asleep. Somehow all that activity hasn't burned off his incredibly chubby cheeks and Buddha-belly, though!

Old 03-14-2005, 04:56 PM

Is anyone working on potty learning yet?

We are kind of....I don't think dd is quite ready but she loves copying. She is sooooo excited to wear undies and to sit on the potty like mama and daddy. When she goes it seems to be an accident that we catch it and she has a hard time pulling her pants up and down...so those are the reasons why I think she's not quite ready. I am letting her have fun with copying when she wants to though and she has had a yeast rash off and on for a few months now and I think extra time naked on her potty is good for her bum.

I'm interested to learn more from you about pottying with kids this age.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:00 PM

We are toying with it I guess. She loves the copying too, so she'll demand to sit on the potty, but only on very rare occaisions does she actually go. Mostly she is up and down and its hard to get her to actually stay on the potty to try to go.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 03-14-2005, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Same thing. Just copying. Andrew was terrible for pooping in the bath, but now we just ask him in the bath if he needs to poop, and usually he'll tell us and we'll hold him over the toilet. In fact, I've lost track of the last time he pooped in the tub, which has been welcome change! However, he's not interested in the potty. If you hold him over the toilet and ask if he needs to pee, you can feel his body tighten up as he tries to figure out how to make the pee come!

He just woke up, gotta run!

Alison
Old 03-14-2005, 05:47 PM

We're just dabbling. For a few weeks, a few months ago, DS was very interested; he peed in the toilet many times and even pooped once. He's totally uninterested now, though, and we see no point in pushing it when we can't really mount a focused effort. (Both DH and I WOHM full-time.) If DS is ready & willing come June, when DH's summer break begins (he's a teacher), we'll start some intensive toilet teaching. Hopefully we'll "graduate" by summer's end. :

Old 03-15-2005, 06:57 PM

oh what a day we are having : ....and it had been so happy and peaceful around here lately. Okay I must admit AF showed up today so I might be partly to blame for the grumpies : ....but dd is also not herself. She is very demanding and fussy. Last night I don't think she slept well...I remember waking up quite a bit because she was moving all around without completing waking. I'm really not sure what the deal is, just wanted to vent and hopefully today will get better and tomorrow even better
Old 03-16-2005, 01:23 AM

My dd asks to use the potty a few times each day. She usually pees at least a little at each try. She is very proud of herself. She is no where near "potty learning" but I figure as long as she is asking and wants to do it, I'm not going to deny her.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf mama
oh what a day we are having : ....and it had been so happy and peaceful around here lately. Okay I must admit AF showed up today so I might be partly to blame for the grumpies : ....but dd is also not herself. She is very demanding and fussy. Last night I don't think she slept well...I remember waking up quite a bit because she was moving all around without completing waking. I'm really not sure what the deal is, just wanted to vent and hopefully today will get better and tomorrow even better
You and me both. I'm in exactly the same boat right now. Andrew is teething, I think, so he's not restful at all. And I nearly passed out at work yesterday afternoon--they sent me home. I had thought that AF was coming, because I'm all crampy, but then just got hit by waves of nausea. Feeling alittle better today, but it's no fun being sick with a 2 year old who's grumpy! Plus I've got thrush (one of the joys of EBF!), and the nystatin doesn't seem to be doing much, but the doc insisted that we try that way first instead of going straight for the systemic medication. I suppose I should admire her way of thinking, but cream on your nipples 4 times a day is a big hassle, and the way I feel right now, two doses of diflucan seems a lot easier to cope with. Plus going to visit the inlaws for ten days on Sunday, and they keep e-mailing me for stranger and stranger things to bring down to them (they moved to the US from Canada about 5 years ago now). So far the list consists of a maple leaf windsock, maple leaf decals, and windchimes with the Bluenose (famous schooner, it's on the Canadian dime). Can't wait to see what tomorrow adds to the list! At least Andrew went happily to daycare this morning, so I didn't start the day with the guilt that always comes if he doesn't want to go!

Alison
Old 03-16-2005, 01:35 PM

Hmm, Alison...crampy, nauseated, and feeling faint...could you be...you know....???

Old 03-16-2005, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine
Hmm, Alison...crampy, nauseated, and feeling faint...could you be...you know....???
Don't think so--I had some spotting yesterday, and AF usually starts with a day or two of spotting, so that's right on schedule. And my temp dropped yesterday too, which is also right on schedule. And even if I was, I couldn't be more than a week or two max, and does morning sickness show up that early? although my temp was WAY up this morning, I figured it was just a little bit of fever from being sick.

I don't WANT to be pregnant right now, we were planning a 4 or 5 year gap, for my sanity and DH's sanity, but also so that I'd be off on mat leave for Andrew's first months of school. I thought it would be nice for him to have mum to come home to in those first months. Although we're not using BC, except for timing, so it's possible. Just unlikely.

What is everyone else planning for child spacing?

Alison
Old 03-16-2005, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
What is everyone else planning for child spacing?
Sorry for my nosiness. Your symptoms were just screaming PG, though, and I couldn't stand it that you hadn't said anything about the possibility! Guess I'm turning into a dirty old woman. :

Our ordeal with infertility has caused us to dispense w/ any notions of child spacing. Planning/timing pregnancy is, frankly, impossible for us. We've recently started TTC#2 now b/c (1) DS is now MUCH easier to parent (sleeps well, communicates well, etc.); (2) DS is such a hilarious, loving little miracle that we want another, not to mention a sibling for him to love and enjoy; and (3) Time's a-wastin'. DH is 49 and I'm 36.

TICK! TICK! TICK! TICK! Hear that? It's my biological clock.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:10 PM

Tine & Alison, I thought PG too :-)) so funny...
spacing - we are leaning towards only Lily, can go down the list of why or why not, but what it really comes down to is that we feel complete...but we'll see. if I were to have a 2nd (and only 2) I would ttc this fall so that they would be about 3 years apart...
Old 03-16-2005, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine
(1) DS is now MUCH easier to parent (sleeps well, communicates well, etc.);
Yeah, if Andrew slept well we might be considering a smaller gap. It's only recently that DH has even admitted the possibility that we'll have two. He was totally against it after the first few months with Andrew. But I don't think newborns have the same effect on most men that they do on most women!

You're not that much older than me, I'm 33 now. DH is 36. We had no trouble getting pg with Andrew though. Sometimes I worry about leaving a 2nd one so long, we're talking about 2.5 more years before even TTC. I'll be 36 then. I guess if it's meant to happen it'll happen!

Tine, I saw Kathleen on Sunday. Her DS is a lot like mine, it sounds, very verbal, wants to go out and shovel snow! Andrew is always saying "I shovel snow" every time it snows. And that's been a lot lately!

Alison
Old 03-16-2005, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Tine, I saw Kathleen on Sunday. Her DS is a lot like mine, it sounds, very verbal, wants to go out and shovel snow! Andrew is always saying "I shovel snow" every time it snows. And that's been a lot lately!
Kathleen was just telling me the same thing about snow & shoveling. Funny! I'm still floored by this whole 2-degrees-of-separation thing.

I know I'm not ancient for a mom, but my DH thinks he's positively prehistoric (never mind his stellar health and the fact that he looks and acts younger than me) and doesn't want to wait too long. Plus we know it'll probably take us a while. So combine all that with low (and waning) fertility, and you get a very loud ticking noise.

Incidentally, Kathleen was the 1st person to foresee our marriage, less than a week after DH and I met, and before she met either one of us. Weird, eh?

Old 03-16-2005, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Tine, I have a high school friend who was a long-awaited long-wanted late baby, and her father always seemed more like the rest of us expected our grandfathers to be. I can understand what your DH is thinking. You say that he looks and acts young, and I've always thought that was the key to staying young, but I'm sure there are days where he feels his age!

You lot have me all paranoid. I still feel vaguely sick and dizzy, still feel crampy. Never had sickness or dizziness as an AF symptom before. I'm SURE I'm not pg, I can't be! It hadn't even crossed my mind until it was mentioned here! Now I'm stressing. Thanks guys!

Alison
Old 03-16-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Tine, I have a high school friend who was a long-awaited long-wanted late baby, and her father always seemed more like the rest of us expected our grandfathers to be. I can understand what your DH is thinking. You say that he looks and acts young, and I've always thought that was the key to staying young, but I'm sure there are days where he feels his age!

You lot have me all paranoid. I still feel vaguely sick and dizzy, still feel crampy. Never had sickness or dizziness as an AF symptom before. I'm SURE I'm not pg, I can't be! It hadn't even crossed my mind until it was mentioned here! Now I'm stressing. Thanks guys!

Alison
Thanks for the insight on your friend and her dad. It's good for me to keep that in mind.

Sorry for adding stress to your day...you didn't need that on top of everything else!

Old 03-16-2005, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Tine, I just wanted to add that I wasn't implying that your husband was too old or anything, just that I could understand what he was feeling, knowing how my friend's dad always felt!

Alison
Old 03-16-2005, 07:14 PM

No misunderstanding. You're saying pretty much the same thing DH says. Ironically (age issues aside), he is the one all gung-ho about having another kiddo. I'm more ambivalent--excited one day, terrified the next. Maybe because I remember oh-so-vividly all the nausea and contractions and mastitis?

Old 03-16-2005, 08:52 PM

I am ttc right now but it is taking awhile...originally I wanted to have kids two years apart and well I missed that....but now I am grateful that didn't happen. My dd is big enough now and easy enough most days that I am ready to add being pg and then having another when she is getting closer to 3. I am glad my body decided to space them further but I also hope my body cooperates soon

Alison-hope you are feeling better soon and hope you get the answer you are wanting for pg or not.

User Tag List