Mothering Forum banner

April 2003 mamas?

6K views 258 replies 26 participants last post by  lisamarie 
#1 ·
I was reading the March 2003 thread and getting quite jealous. DS was due in March, but not interested in being born until April. So I was wondering if there are any April 2003 mams who would like to have their own thread?

Hi, I'm Alison, and DS is Andrew, born April 6 2003. He's amazing, and likes to talk and dance and read and watch Thomas the Tank Engine, and he can name pretty much every engine. He loves dogs and birds (he can even say chickadee, pigeon, chicken, duck, and starling!). He talks all the time, it blows my mind how much he can say! He actually said "excuse me!" the other day when he had to squeeze past someone at the grocery store! He's totally the love of my life. We cosleep, are still nursing, and are starting to toilet train. I hadn't planned on starting so soon, but Andrew started asking if he could pee pee in the toilet! He goes to daycare, and I think that he is watching some of the slightly older toddlers toilet train. I WOHM full time as a children's librarian, and DH brought Andrew to a programme at work one Saturday, and Andrew now thinks that when mummy goes to work she plays with green play-doh. In fact, whenever anyone says they have to go to work, he says "work, playdoh". Ah, to be so young that you think work means green playdoh!

Any other April 2003 babies out there? What is your child mad about?

Alison

See less See more
#52 ·
We are right there with you with the molars and the nursing all night!! Most days I wake up more tired than when I went to bed with the switching sides and general acrobatics. This really is a fun age-we are starting to have conversations and DD is starting to say the funniest things! It just cracks me up to have such a little tyke that can throw her toys all over and then say, with such emotion, "Oh what a terrible mess! What are we going to do?" I am also worrying less about her when she is out of sight for more than a few seconds-she is usually just around the corner reading a book or something equally non life threatening. Up until now I had to watch her every second, now she is learning so fast what's ok and whats not. I am also developing more confidence in those "eyes in the back of my head"..they really do exist!!

#53 ·
Hi everyone! I was just about to pose a question for all of you when I noticed Alison's new post, asking how all our babes are doing.

We're having a molarama, too. It's been going on for months. The teething doesn't keep Tony from napping reasonably or getting back to sleep when he wakes up at night (thank heavens), but he does seem to be night-waking more often. And yes, gnawing on his finger constantly. He's constantly got a chapped something-or-other (chin, finger, lips, etc.) from all the drooling.

Here's my question: How does your kiddo do with fork & spoon? Does he/she eat mostly with fingers, or mostly with utensils? Does he/she need help getting food onto the fork/spoon or getting food into his/her mouth?

Just wondering if Tony's a little slow in this area. He'll sometimes use a utensil, but it takes lots of encouragement, and he's not too swift at it. He'd rather double-fist his food into his mouth. In all other areas his development is great. Maybe he's just too hungry/impatient for utensils??

#54 ·
Tine: Andrew will use utensils if you remind him. I say "can you use your spoon?" and he eats one mouthful with the spoon and goes back to using his hands. So I remindhim again, same story, one spoonmouthful, back to hands. So I don't think Tony is slow for his age or anything like that! Funny thing is, he'll eat with a spoon for a whole meal if he's at his granny's or at daycare, just not for us at home!

OneAtHome: Andrew is just like this! He'll toss his trains all over the room and say "Oh oh, I made a mess!! I clean up". Well, if you didn't make the mess you wouldn't have to clean up just doesn't seem to be a concept that he has yet! And I totally get you with the more tired than when you went to bed. The switching sides in the middle of the night drives me nuts. I just want to sleep! And DH is making weaning noises again. Even though he's only sleeping through the night cause I'm nursing to keep Andrew quiet!

Alison

#55 ·
we had a leaky diaper night too! We used to have those ALL the time, but thankfully have been spared for a while... We had to go downstairs and change clothes (me too), get a new sheet, even pillowcase (Major spillage)!!! It was about 4, so dh was already up, and of course ds didn't want to go back to sleep. I kept telling him it was too early to get up, and he kept telling me "Daddy downstairs! Go now! Get up!" he also picked up a new phrase, "Middle night" as in "No, it's the middle of the night!"

about the spoon/fork thing, don't worry at all. He's working on his fine motor skills by feeding himself with his hands, and soon enough he'll master the great spoon and fork! Just make it available to him and he'll get it eventually.

hmmm... we've found ourselves renting this huge house with plenty of extra rooms, but I don't think I'd be able to sleep with Morgan in a different room. I can't even sleep if he's on the other side of the bed (or if he's too close for that matter).
I'll probably be the one with a hard time transitioning to my "own" bed!!

#56 ·
Well, we tried something different last night. DS slept in our bed, just like normal. Only we didn't come to bed, we stayed on the pull-out in the living room. Didn't make any difference, really, to the amount he woke up. The only difference was that I'd help him go back to sleep and then I went back out to the living room. I think DS slept better, but DS was pretty much the same. Maybe when he's teething was a bad time to try something like this anyway!

Morgansmom, your DS sounds just like Andrew. If he wakes up and DH isn't in the bed, it's "Daddy living room, I get up, I get up"! I've also wondered about letting his sleep with just DH and me have a night in the spare room downstairs, since he misses DH so much when he's not there.

Alison

#57 ·
I am planning dd's 2nd birthday party and I'm curious what the rest of you are doing to celebrate?

We are having a small group of family over for a beach party. We live about a mile from the beach. There will be two other young kids there so we'll have buckets, shovels and kites to play with. After that I figure we'll all come back to our house for a snack. I can't decide if I should make a cake with candles or fun shaped cookies like seashells or sand dollars. (If it rains we'll play inside with shells and rocks collected from the beach and maybe a tub of sand with plastic beach critters like crabs, seals etc.)

And as far as birthday presents...she has soooo many toys that I am thinking of getting her a few small items like felt balls and playsilks and a new kids music CD.

#58 ·
We've decided not to do anything this year. His 1st birthday was supposed to be a few close friends and family members with no gifts, and it turned into tons of people who all bought gifts. This year we're just going to have dinner at granny's house with a cake. That's it! He's getting some more Thomas engines for his birthday, because that's what he's into, and they're good quality so can be passed on to my future kids or to his own kids.

Interesting to hear what others are planning though!

Alison

#59 ·
We live far from family, but my Mom and brother are planning a visit and they will be here a couple days before DD's birthday - my inlaws have decided to do what they did last year which was to come the week before my Mom comes and overlap for DD's birthday. So we'll have a family party, probably with a few friends and a cake.

As for the presents, a few months ago I napped a plan toys dollhouse complete with furnishings used for a great price, so that will be her present. Becasue the new baby is coming shortly after, I really wanted to get her a wooden doll cradle and high chair as well, so she could take care of her dolly while Mommy takes care of the baby, but the ones I want are made by Elves and Angels and they had that horrible fire, so I don't know if we'll get them or not, supposedly they will start shipping again soon.

#60 ·
the 1st was BIG, as is the tradition in Hawaii - so the 2nd will be mellow - day of we'll do gifts (a few clothes, puzzles, etc.) and maybe a cakeish item with my parents (dh's parents live in NY) - but the weekend after her birthday we are going to the other side of the island (the 3 of us) and spend the night and go to the zoo, which she has never been to and LOVES animals - probably won't have any more parties until she asks for one - doing something special is more my style and energy level :)) a room filled with many 2-3 year olds is A LOT :)))))!

#61 ·
We'll probably have a medium-size party just like we did for DS's 1st b-day. He's an only grandchild on my side of the family, and most of my family lives very close to us, so everyone likes to celebrate him. (And he sure doesn't mind it either!) I'm guessing we'll have my family as well as DS's godparents and DCP, a couple of our close friends, and another kid or two.

#63 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahm
Hey, I just found this thread! Can I join late?

My dd was born April 8, 2003!
Absolutely! Welcome! (I didn't start this thread, but hey...the more the merrier!)

#64 ·
Quote:

Hey, I just found this thread! Can I join late?

My dd was born April 8, 2003!

Please do join us!

Tell us a bit about yourself and your DD, we love to meet new people. Oh, and we've already played a little bit of "six degrees of separation" on this thread, so we're just one big happy bunch!

Although some of us are a little more tired than others--DS fussed from 12-2 last night, then he fell off our bed onto the toddler bed (it's only about three inches lower, but he wasn't intending to go there!), and went to sleep! When will he learn to sleep through the night?????

Alison

#67 ·
Thank you for the nice welcome.

I am a sahm two two beautiful children. My ds is 4 and my dd is 23 months (the April 03 baby).

I'm just enjoying motherhood. My kids are amazing!

Oh, and I live in Michigan where it's cold but starting to tempt us with warmer temperatures...

#68 ·
Quote:

Oh, and I live in Michigan where it's cold but starting to tempt us with warmer temperatures...

Yeah, Nova Scotia just tried tempting uswith warmer temperatures last week, and today we're waiting for 20 cm of snow!

Alison

#69 ·
Alison-hope you got good sleep last night!

sahm-
Welcome!
Our weather is getting nicer and we are getting out more. We live by the beach so we collect rocks and shells at the beach or pinecones in our yard. She sleeps so much better on the days we can get out.

Is anyone else noticing your kid getting busier? The last few months dd is getting more active and prefering active games to calmer ones. We have a soft ball we kick around the living room and she loves to play chase or march around the couch. She just might get me in shape with this workout.

#70 ·
Yes, Andrew is so active right now that I'm not sure I can keep up with him! He just had a wonderful night at his grandparents', and completely tired himself out. And them too, come to think of it! He's just a total ball of energy, and hasn't gained much weight recently cause he's burning it all off. I wish I had his energy and his metabolism!

Anyway, I'm off to the doctor. I seem to have thrush again. One of the drawbacks to extended breastfeeding! It's only the second bout I've had, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Andrew seems to not have it this time though, at least.

Alison

#71 ·
Yep, my dd has become more active lately. She asks all the time to go outside and ride her bike... An idea from her brother since she doesn't actually have a bike yet and doesn't know how to ride a bike. :LOL But her brother is asking for it, so she parrots his request...

I think spring fever is hitting my kids as hard as it is hitting me.

#72 ·
Yes, my DS is a total wiggle-bug, too. He literally never stops moving, even when he's asleep. Somehow all that activity hasn't burned off his incredibly chubby cheeks and Buddha-belly, though!

#73 ·
Is anyone working on potty learning yet?

We are kind of....I don't think dd is quite ready but she loves copying. She is sooooo excited to wear undies and to sit on the potty like mama and daddy. When she goes it seems to be an accident that we catch it and she has a hard time pulling her pants up and down...so those are the reasons why I think she's not quite ready. I am letting her have fun with copying when she wants to though and she has had a yeast rash off and on for a few months now and I think extra time naked on her potty is good for her bum.

I'm interested to learn more from you about pottying with kids this age.

#74 ·
We are toying with it I guess. She loves the copying too, so she'll demand to sit on the potty, but only on very rare occaisions does she actually go. Mostly she is up and down and its hard to get her to actually stay on the potty to try to go.

#75 ·
Same thing. Just copying. Andrew was terrible for pooping in the bath, but now we just ask him in the bath if he needs to poop, and usually he'll tell us and we'll hold him over the toilet. In fact, I've lost track of the last time he pooped in the tub, which has been welcome change! However, he's not interested in the potty. If you hold him over the toilet and ask if he needs to pee, you can feel his body tighten up as he tries to figure out how to make the pee come!

He just woke up, gotta run!

Alison

#76 ·
We're just dabbling. For a few weeks, a few months ago, DS was very interested; he peed in the toilet many times and even pooped once. He's totally uninterested now, though, and we see no point in pushing it when we can't really mount a focused effort. (Both DH and I WOHM full-time.) If DS is ready & willing come June, when DH's summer break begins (he's a teacher), we'll start some intensive toilet teaching. Hopefully we'll "graduate" by summer's end.
:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.