April 2003 mamas? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 259 Old 03-19-2005, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How is everyone doing here? It's been a few days since anyone posted. I'm off on vacation tomorrow--just Andrew and I going down to visit the in-laws. I'm a little worried about flying with Andrew by myself. I've always had help before. We only have to switch planes once, in Newark, we'll see how it goes! Especially now that he's so darn active. He's still sitting on my lap, since he's not two yet!

The nice thing is that it's already Spring in North Carolina, unlike up here where we had more flurries today.

Alison
#92 of 259 Old 03-19-2005, 03:43 PM

All is well here. We just had a spring blizzard, and I went cross-country skiing this morning. Alone at a nature center, with not another soul in sight. (Well, except the geese--but they're more like demons.) Aaahh, now THAT was a treat! Normally I wouldn't call snow in March a treat, but our snow has been pathetic this season. This was only the 3rd time I got to ski, and I live in Minnesota fer cryin' out loud!

I hope you have a wonderful time in NC, Alison. Even though I'm enjoying the snow, I'd like some sunshine and warm weather even more. Wish I could offer you some tips for the plane, but I've never flown w/ Tony yet.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#93 of 259 Old 03-19-2005, 07:22 PM

Just joining in here. DD was born April 11, 2003, and I'm about to pop with #2, due...April 11th, 2005!

DD loves dressing up, getting undressed, doing EVERYTHING herself , nursing all the time, reading stories constantly, and chattering up a storm. Life is never dull around here.
#94 of 259 Old 03-19-2005, 08:05 PM

Alison-I hope you have a great trip! I haven't flown yet with my dd but I have heard suggestions from other friends. The best idea was to wrap small gifts that can be opened one at a time as needed....opening the wrapping is fun and takes awhile....the gift could be a box of raisins or dried fruit that will take awhile to enjoy....or a small coloring book with a couple crayons..or a bag of favorite crackers...etc. I'm going to try that idea whenever we decide to fly with her.

Ubertulip- Welcome!!! My dd also loves to read books alone and with us. Running and reading are her two favorite activites.

My dd isn't interested in dressing/undressing yet. She will help me when I am dressing her but I thought she would be able to do more by herself. From books I've read it sounds like kids this age should be undressing themselves. I'm curious what the rest of you think. Dd is on track for everything else so I figure she'll catch up on dressing when she's ready.

Our sunny weather recently left...dd and I are missing our outside time. When I open the door she peaks out and says "rain, lots of rain"....I'm thinking about putting on her boots and seeing if she'd like to try getting some fresh air in the rain....we'll see how it goes.
#95 of 259 Old 03-19-2005, 11:19 PM

Melissa, welcome.

Funny that no. 2 is due on no. 1's birthday! You could havea busy day.
#96 of 259 Old 03-19-2005, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Woohooo, not pregnant. Didn't think so, but now I know for sure!

Andrew doesn't do much undressing himself. He can get his socks off, and his shoes, and his coat and hat. He will try to help with the rest, but he gets stuck and needs help. I figure he's bright enough, I'm not worried, he'll figure it out eventually.

Ubertulip, hope number 2 comes on the due date. I think that having birthdays close together sucks, but having them on the same day is kinda cool. My sister was born on my grandad's birthday, and they always had a special bond!

Gotta pack, nothing done yet!

Alison
#97 of 259 Old 03-20-2005, 05:38 PM

Welcome, Melissa! I'll be sending you vibes for a fast (but not too fast) and easy birth.

My DS is very into doing things himself, too. ("Tony do it! Tony do it!") Except dressing and undressing: When it comes to that, he yells, "Shoes off! Socks off! Pants off!" Obviously he thinks I'm his personal valet.

Alison: Glad you got the answer you were looking for. I was wondering...but not feeling nosy enough to ask if you'd solved the mystery.

#98 of 259 Old 03-26-2005, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

How's everyone doing? We are having a great visit in NC. Andrew practically imploded Thursday-Friday though. We took his Grandpa's race car to a track in Virginia for a test day, and it was as if the race car was his new best friend. We had to tell him it was sleeping in the trailer to get him to come into the hotel for the night! He wasn't even strange with his grandparents for a minute when we arrived, and he hasn't seen them since Christmas, and before that last summer. My BIL and SIL and their one year old are here now as well, so Andrew's feeling a little "mine-y"--as in "No, Geordie (his cousin) that's mine". Hopefully he'll get over it soon. It's funny, he plays well at playgroup where he knows things aren't his, but here, where he thinks stuff is his, he basically follows the little guy around and takes everything he puts his hands on and tries to put it out of Geordie's reach! How do people cope with toddlers this age and siblings, I don't know, I don't think I could!

Hope everyone is having as much fun as we are right now!

Alison
#99 of 259 Old 03-26-2005, 11:50 PM

Alison-Glad to hear your trip is going well! (How was the flight?)

We are doing okay. Dd is getting over a croupy cough but she is staying pretty happy thru it all. She needs a little extra help to get to bed at night and for naps.

She is getting into songs even more. She tries to sing her favorites like Baa Baa Black Sheep and gets most of the words right or close And she likes to mix it up and sing Baa Baa White Sheep sometimes too. I'm guessing that's because all the sheep we see in pictures are white.

For those of you who celebrate Easter...what are you doing? Dd is getting her first Easter basket tomorrow and first Easter egg hunt. Should be fun!
#100 of 259 Old 03-27-2005, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

We don't celebrate easter ourselves, but I think that we will be doing something this year, since we're with the inlaws. I guess that my MIL is organising a egg hunt for tomorrow. I don't know if it's chocolate eggs like she did for DH and BIL until very recently! We'll see, I guess!

DS is also starting to sing his own songs. He sings horsey, horsey don't you stop and twinkle twinkle. And he was trying to sing the theme to Thomas the Tank Engine too. Funny thing is he changes words around. Yesterday, for example, he was singing horsey horsey while we were sitting on the stairs and he sang "horsey horsey go downstairs" instead of the actual words, even though he knows the real words!

The flight wasn't bad at all, since they were both really short flights. The hard part was because of a delay in the second flight, we ended up waiting for four hours in the airport at Newark. That was hard on both of us! Wouldn't have been as bad if I'd been traveling with another adult, but I was trying to make sure not to let our bags out of sight, as they repeat over the PA again and again and again, but also trying not to let a wired and rambunctious toddler out of my sight either! he ended up spending most of the four hours climbing over those golf cart type things that they use for passengers who need help getting around, cause we happened to sit next to the wall where they plug them in to recharge!

Went to the beach today and he freaked when the first wave hit his feet! Don't think he knew what to expect, since the last time it was warm enough for the beach he wasn't even 18 months. And the water was pretty darn cold still, even though it's beautiful here otherwise!

Alison
#101 of 259 Old 03-27-2005, 03:07 PM

My mom sent an Easter basket for dd with empty plastic eggs and a stuffed bunny. It's nice that she is young enough to be excited about empty plastic eggs without the candy. She loves taking the eggs apart and putting them back together. Later this morning we are going to hide them around the house....since they are plastic if we forget one it won't get stinky I remember when I was little we would always manage to lose at least one during an egg hunt.
#102 of 259 Old 03-27-2005, 04:52 PM

This morning we did an egg hunt with the plastic eggs with puffins (cereal) inside them. She generally has puffins in the morning anyway and she just loved hunting around for the eggs for it!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#103 of 259 Old 03-27-2005, 08:38 PM

we didn't do any hunt, etc. here - she just doesn't "get it" yeat - colored some eggs with friends yesterady and she was interested for about 2 minutes - much more interested in "hunting" the cat :-))
I had a question this morning for all the 2003 April mamas that I can't remember now - will get back to you all if my brain kicks back in...
#104 of 259 Old 03-28-2005, 12:33 PM

Hi, everyone!

Seems like our DCs are all discovering the joy of singing at the same time. Tony just starting singing last week. His favorite is the ABC song (amazingly, he sings the whole thing with no mistakes--blew me away when I first heard it). He also does Baa Baa Black Sheep and Twinkle Twinkle.

Alison, your stay in NC sounds lovely! I'm a bit jealous of the warm weather and beach activities, I must say. But at least spring has FINALLY arrived here.

Tony enjoyed the Easter festivities yesterday. Well, all except church, that is. Normally he does great at church (and ours is very kid-friendly, which helps), but this time he could not handle sitting in the pew with DH while I sang/played with the music ensemble I belong to. He was wailing "MOMMY!!!!" at the top of his lungs...after about 3 minutes DH bailed and took him home.

Other than that, it was lots of fun. We gave him a small basket with a stuffed piggy, a toy car, a big bag of craisins (a favorite treat of his), and lots of real (dyed) Easter eggs. He adores eggs--ate one for each meal yesterday. Went to brunch at a restaurant with Grandma & Grandpa, where he pretty much followed the costumed Easter Bunny around for 1.5 hours. G&G gave him a set of his very own kitchen stuff (mixing bowls, eggbeater, spoons, cups, etc.) for an Easter gift. He thought it was really cool--he loves "helping" in the kitchen.

#105 of 259 Old 03-29-2005, 12:50 PM

It is fun to hear about others this age doing similar things. My dd just keeps singing more and more songs on her own. She is getting more independent all the way around and that is nice because she had been very clingy as an infant and young toddler.

We had sooo much fun with Easter this year. Our first year celebrating it with dd. She LOVED hunting eggs and wore herself out to where she fell asleep eating her lunch and even woke up halfway thru her nap asking for eggs.
We also read a kids book about Jesus and dd was most interested in the fact that Jesus rode on a donkey. She loves donkeys for some reason.

Tine- Your Easter brunch sounds like it was a lot of fun! How cute that he followed the bunny around!

mightymoo-Great idea putting cereal in the eggs. I think we will do that next year.

konamama-My dd loves "hunting" the neighbors cats too. None of the cats let us get very close though....maybe they've know some toddlers
So far dd is gentle with animals though. MIL has small poodles that dd gets to play with.
#106 of 259 Old 03-29-2005, 11:49 PM

Lily is all about animals - and she is very sweet to them thank goodness! we have a "zoo", 3 dogs, 6 cats, a slew of wild chickens and roosters and 2 horses - so she has learned to be gentle and kind b/c they are "wild", etc.

on another note, chicken pox...anyone had them yet? anyone go to a "chicken pox party"? what do you all think of that?

also, who all is involved with "mama groups"? I am getting on going for moms and "babies", 2.5-still pregnant ladies, going to the beach, etc. what do you all do? how often?

off to finish up my paperwork prior to dinner :-))
#107 of 259 Old 03-30-2005, 12:52 AM

My dd got chicken pox at 13 months and it was really easy. She got a moderate amount and never scratched at them. I gave her lots of oatmeal baths. The only bad part is that it knocked down her immune system and she got an ear infection at the end of the pox. I was surprised that the chicken pox was so easy for her....I had them at age 6 and I remember how hard it was. My dr told me it tends to be easier on little ones for some reason. So that's my experience. With my next I'd be tempted to go to a chicken pox party.
#108 of 259 Old 03-30-2005, 02:13 AM

My dd got the pox late in her first year. She had about 500 spots; I think that's a pretty good case. I used a tiny bit of peppermint extract in water to cool and soothe them. She was only miserable for a day or two-- totally worth it, in my book. I have no idea where she caught'em!
#109 of 259 Old 03-30-2005, 06:29 PM

We're not involved in any mama (or dada, for that matter) groups. Both DH and I WOHM full-time, so evenings and weekends are strictly family time.

We had DS vax'd for varicella, so I don't expect him to get the pox, though it's possible.

#110 of 259 Old 04-01-2005, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

My doctor recommended the pox vaccine, but I've turned it down for now--it's free here now for all kids, so a lot of the kids we know have had it. Andrew hasn't had pox yet, although I expected he would have, since he goes to daycare full time. He has had a host of other cold-like viruses, hand foot and mouth disease, and two stomach flus, so daycare is certainly doing it's job of building his immune system! I haven't been this sick with colds and stomach bugs in years either, so maybe it's giving my immune system a boost too! I'm sure we'll probably end up with him having chickenpox before too long, unless everyone else at his daycare is vaccinated, and I'm betting they aren't, since it only recently because a freebie.

We still go to the playgroup that we went to when I was off on mat leave. I'm lucky enough to alternate working on Saturdays and Mondays, and the playgroup is on Mondays, so I get to every second meeting. A few MDC mamas are involved, so it's a fairly crunchy group, which is nice, because so many of our other friends are mainstream. Not that mainstream is bad, I just get tired of being called the crunchy one! Cause I'm not really even that crunchy, if you know what I mean! My SIL down in Georgia is attending every mother and baby group she can find (she can't work, she doesn't have a work visa for the US, she's just there cause her hubby has a visa), and she's having a hard time finding a group where she feels comfortable. I guess many of the groups that she's finding are very conservative and often times quite religious as well, which isn't really her scene.

Andrew is talking in whole sentences now! He just seemed to figure things out over the time we were on vacation. And he's figured out plurals mean more than one of something, but he hasn't quite figured out the details yet--we are hearing things like "carses" and "truckses". So cute, I hate to correct him!

Alison
#111 of 259 Old 04-01-2005, 11:19 AM

WOW, our babies are going to be 2 years old this month!!! Remember when we were all awaiting our babes over at the Pregnancy Forum?

Anyways, Amber and I do "Toddler Gym" at the YMCA twice a week. They take the area that they usually have gymnastics in (the big blue padded carpeted rug thingy) and place tons of push toys, tubes to crawl in, b-ball hoops, swings, slides, climbing toys, etc. for the kids to play on/in. They also have a trampoline and other cushions to climb on. Then at the end we sing songs w/hand motions. She LOVES it. At first she was so shy, but this has really helped her come out of her shell a bit. We used to do swim too, but last year she loved it and then now she hates it (But she loves her bath). So we are going to wait.

She is now potty learned too. It was all her own doing and has blown me away. Both pee and poop too. My ds didn't learn this until he was over 3 yo and she began at 16 mo. She still wears a diaper for nap and night though.

We didn't vax her for chicken pox either. I did w/my ds and he got a mild 2 day version of it in preschool.

She is a talker and loves to dance, but can be shy around others. She wants to be like brother and do her "homework" when he is doing his (its so cute).

Happy Birthday April Toddlers~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#112 of 259 Old 04-01-2005, 04:49 PM

I haven't been here for a while, we've been on vacation, but it's so nice to hear about all the other ALMOST 2!!!!! year olds are up to! We were visiting family in Seattle, and the first night we got there, ds started singing "twinkle twinkle" at the table and the WHOLE family, all 9 of us, joined in. I'll never forget the look on his face, it was part awe/wonder and part wooo hooo! It was a magical moment, to say the least. It just reminded me of that when I was reading about the other kids singing. ds loves "snuggle puppy" and "itsy spider" and I'm really happy that he's starting to like the big-kid songs like 5 little monkeys.
The first time I took him on a plane was at 3 1/2 months, I was by myself and had an overnight flight from Alaska to Wisconsin. It was about 20 hours each way... that was the hardest. Most airports have "nurseries" or little quiet rooms with an attached bathroom, toys and usually a crib and couches for families. Seek them out on layovers! It's sooooo much easier to fly with him now, he just wants to look out the window and talk about flying, read books, play with the stupid phone they attach to the back of the seat ... I can only imagine it keeps getting easier. But- food, drink, new toys, favorite toys, things like playdough, trips to the bathroom or back of the plane during flight and finding childrens areas on layover make flying... a breeze!
#113 of 259 Old 04-01-2005, 05:12 PM

Today was DD's due date. Man, how time flies! At the time I was so happy she hadn't been born yet, I wanted an April baby. Of course I didn't realize that she was going to stay in there until we pried her out on the 17th

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#114 of 259 Old 04-01-2005, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo
Today was DD's due date. Man, how time flies! At the time I was so happy she hadn't been born yet, I wanted an April baby. Of course I didn't realize that she was going to stay in there until we pried her out on the 17th
Yup, Andrew did that--due date March 28th, hung on for 11 days til the 6th of April. I let myself be induced then, even though I wish I hadn't now. Oh well, we had snow when I went into hospital, and by the time I came out most of it had melted and the weather was lovely!

Alison
#115 of 259 Old 04-01-2005, 05:53 PM

Morgan's due date was april 7th... he finally came on the 23rd. I'm still feeling bad about inducing, which led to a c/s... but if he was 12 lbs. at 42 weeks, he could have been the famed 16 pounder if I would have gone too much longer! I've heard stories of natural homebirths of 12+ lb babies, and pregnancies going past 43, 44 weeks without problems, but I guess there's nothing to be done about it now. It gets easier every year
#116 of 259 Old 04-01-2005, 06:34 PM

Wow 2 years sure flew by....I remember in my last month of pregnancy, there were so many friends having their babies early. I was ready to be done with pregnancy and I was sure my dd would be early too. When her April 10th due date came and passed I couldn't believe it! Each day I was sure it would be time. I waited for what seemed so long and finally went into labor on the 14th. I too had to be induced and had her on the 16th. I had a hospital birth with a midwife. There are so many things I would do differently but at that time I did the best with what I knew. When I am blessed with another pregnancy I look forward to being more empowered to have the pregnancy and birth that I want without being pressured into so many interventions.

I am excited to celebrate her birthday! We are having 2 parties one with my husband's family next weekend and then my family is coming on her birthday to spend the weekend celebrating dd. (My family all live far away) I'm excited for everyone to see how much she has grown and to see how fun she is.
#117 of 259 Old 04-02-2005, 02:16 PM

Hi, everyone. Yeah, it's hard to believe our DCs are going to be 2, isn't it? Sounds like I'm the only one whose baby came early instead of late. DS was due on May 8 and came on April 25. I was praying for--actually, counting on--him to be overdue b/c I was desperately trying to finish editing a book before his birth. I probably have only myself to blame.... We joke that the fatty (but yummy) walleye sandwich & fries I ate that night caused DS to say "I'm outta here!" I wound up practically killing myself to finish that editing project during the sleepless 1st month of Tony's life. What a stupid, stupid woman I was. Ah well...live and learn, eh?

#118 of 259 Old 04-02-2005, 11:56 PM

That's funny, Tine. I've been thinking of all the stupid things I did when ds was just born, and I can't imagine... for instance, when ds would wake up in the morning, all i would want to do is go back to sleep for a half hour. dh would hear ds wake up and come in (dh is an early bird and was always up before us) to tell us he was now going to go get coffee... for an hour... yes he would do this every morning for months and I just want to scream at him now just thinking about it! :
our big problem was that ds was colicky, and dh was secretly freaking out thinking the "baby stuff" was never going to end. He says it will be easier with the second because he'll be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. or maybe the next one will have no eating or sleeping difficulties and it'll be a breeze! we've finally agreed on the time to start ttc- September!! Hoping for a summer 06 girl: !!!
#119 of 259 Old 04-04-2005, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

So, have we had any birthdays yet? Andrew's is in two days! We had cake and presents yesterday though, since I'm working the night of his birthday, and it's not like he really cares right now! He certainly gets the concept of presents, I must say! He had a blast tearing paper of parcels and opening boxes. And he even seemed to get blowing out the candles. My baby's growing up !

On another note, I too often dwell on the things I would like to do differently the second time around. I still haven't got a firm word from DH that there will be a second time around. Although, while he says he only wants one, he's not doing anything about birth control. No way am I going back on anything hormonal. I told him BC was now his responsibility, since he's the one who says he doesn't want a second child. But you know, so much of what happened was beyone our control, or due to our inexperience (I mean, you have to take lessons and a test before they let you drive, but pretty much anyone can have a baby) as parents. I'm sure most of us have similar feelings about our first children.

Alison
#120 of 259 Old 04-08-2005, 03:56 PM

Hello, mamas--

Just a quick note to see how everyone's doing, since no one's posted since Monday. I hope you all are enjoying the same type of splendid spring weather as has FINALLY arrived here. Tony has been spending almost every waking moment outdoors this week, and is having a ball. He's been sleeping like a rock, too...I think we can thank all the fresh air and running around for that. And the dirt! Criminy, I had no idea a 2-year-old could get so dirty! The other evening I peeked out the window at DH and DS in the back yard and saw DS lying on his tummy in a big pile of dirt (DH had been laying paving stones), admiring bugs and squishing soil through his fingers and rolling around like a puppy. It made me feel like a kid just to see that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page