April 2003 mamas? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 259 Old 04-08-2005, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lucky you! We had two days of sun, but now it's back to cold and rainy. I wish summer would just hurry up! Andrew had a blast being outside all the time when we were in North Carolina, and he keeps asking to go outside here, and honestly, it's either freezing or raining, or the backyard is soaking, and I feel terrible trying to convince him to stay in!

I think we're going to go swimming on Sunday at the pool. I'm parenting by myself for the next ten days, DH is away on vacation (his turn to visit the in-laws, so that he can be pit crew for his dad at a couple of race weekends). We'll see how it goes!

Alison
#122 of 259 Old 04-11-2005, 12:06 PM

Sending you sunny thoughts and hopes that your single-mom week (and a half) will go smoothly!

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#123 of 259 Old 04-13-2005, 05:42 PM

Alison-How is your week going with dh gone? I know I sure miss my dh when he is gone for work. Hope you are having a nice week.

My family is coming to visit this weekend so I am cleaning and planning and hoping for sunny weather while they visit. We live by the beach and this is their first time coming to see our new home. It would just be so fun to play on the beach in the sun but the forecast so far is for showers.

And my dd has the sniffles...clear runny nose and mild congestion. I'm doing everything I know to help her get better before my family arrives. Her little face looks droopy and pitiful but she's happy. She has a book about when Snuffy had the sniffles so she is talking about that a lot. She is also telling me "nose run run" whenever she needs help wiping.

On Saturday we are giving her an easel for her present...she loves art and this will make it easier and less messy so I'll be more willing to set up projects for her. Should be fun.

Hope the rest of you are having a fun birthday month.
#124 of 259 Old 04-14-2005, 12:07 PM

surf mama- DS had 3 colds in a row this spring and started calling himself "boogie boy" b/c his nose was running all the time.:LOL

He, too, is getting an easel for his birthday next week (from my sister). I think he'll also be getting a wagon (from grandparents) and a playhouse (from us). Lucky kid!

#125 of 259 Old 04-14-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

My time alone with DS is going really well, thanks to all who asked. In some ways, being without DH makes things easier, because he's the one who gets grumpy when woken up in the middle of the night. Without him around, I can just deal with comforting Andrew without having to worry about a grumpy DH! Not that I don't love him dearly, he's just not a morning person AT ALL!

Andrew got some nice wooden toys from his gran for his birthday, but it's the Thomas trains that have been the big hit. Not that we didn't know it, he's totally obsessed. To the point where our local children's bookstore (we're blessed to have a WONDERFUL independent children's bookstore--Tine, has Kathleen ever talked about Woozles???) staff are now saving Thomas promotional items that they get, like stickers and stuff, til they see him coming! Aren't 2nd birthdays exciting--Andrew gets the whole concept of "present" now, even more so than at Chrismas!

Alison
#126 of 259 Old 04-14-2005, 02:45 PM

Alison- No, Kathleen hasn't mentioned Woozles to me. (But knowing her, I'm sure she's a regular.) Do tell--what's it like? We've got a couple of great ones here, too.

#127 of 259 Old 04-14-2005, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, it's in what's probably either a Victorian or Edwardian house right of Spring Garden Road, which is THE street for stores/restaurants/hanging out in Halifax. They're just an awesome little store, and since Kathleen knows the assistant manager well, I'm sure she's a regular! If you ever get up to visit her again, make sure she takes you into Woozles (www.woozles.com). We are there often, because they're open Sundays (Nova Scotia does not allow Sunday shopping, so very few stores are legally allowed to open on Sunday!), and they have a Thomas the Tank Engine playtable set up on each side of the store, so we can spend hours there! Anyway, I love having a good independent children's bookstore so close to home (15 minute walk!).

Okay, here's a new topic to throw out to the list. What's your child's favourite book just now? Andrew is head over heels for "Get to Work Trucks" and "See you Soon Moon", both by Don Carter, who does awesome illustrations using paint and plaster. I'd recommend them heartily to everyone!

Alison
#128 of 259 Old 04-14-2005, 05:54 PM

My dd loves books. She likes to hear at least 20 before bed...well she would like more but that is when I have had enough After that many I pull out a book of my own and lay with her while she looks at more by herself.

She really likes books by Olivier Dunrea-one called Gossie about a yellow goose who wears red boots and one called BooBoo about a blue goose who eats a lot and burps. They are cute books and there are more in the series we need to get.

She also loves Dr Seuss books especially Go Dog Go! and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish.

I look forward to more suggestions of books to try next. I haven't seen the ones you mentioned Alison so we'll look for those at the library.
#129 of 259 Old 04-15-2005, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I love the Gossie and Gertie books! Andrew hasn't had them yet, because I haven't managed to get them from the library, but I have ought a few to give to my niece as presents, and she loved them too. Very cute and very simple, and about things that toddlers understand. Oh, I LOVE talking about kids books, which is why my job is so great for me. I adore being a children's librarian!

Alison
#130 of 259 Old 04-15-2005, 11:48 AM

Tony's current favorite is "I Spy Little Letters" (an alphabet book) by Jean Marzollo. His longest-running favorite book is "Goodnight Moon."

My favorite bookstore here in Minneapolis is called Wild Rumpus. It has a kid-size purple door within the regular door. It's home to many animals, from chickens to cats to tarantulas to parakeets to bunnies to lizards! There are lots of nifty nooks for reading, and of course the books are fabulous.

It seems you and I have another thing in common, Alison: books! Being a children's librarian is one of the few things I've thought I'd enjoy doing besides what I do. (I'm an editor at a book publishing company.) I currently edit both parenting books and children's books, but I worked for the Cricket Magazine Group for a long time and also a children's book publishing company for a couple of years.

#131 of 259 Old 04-16-2005, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we had our first really bad night of "single parenting" last night! Andrew woke at 1, after not going to sleep until well after 10, which is very, very late for him. I nursed him, and he insisted on talking and asking where his dad was and saying he needed this car or that car or a drink or something to eat, very whiny the whole time. I nearly lost it, I had to work today, and after two hours, at almost three am, I was pretty much in tears, and he kept saying "big hug mummy, big hug" and hugging me, but then he'd whine for something again. I gave up and called my mum, who is an angel, and she came over, and then Andrew said "Granny, yay, go to granny's house see Michael, bye mummy, see ya". Michael is the dog. I just about lost it, he obviously knew he was skating on thin ice with me and wanted out of there! So she took him, and I guess he was up til 5 am! Anyway, I went in to work, did the puppet show (on a normal day, I would really love my job!), came home and went to sleep before it was even lunch time! Andrew is still at mum's, my sister is entertaining him, and he's having a blast, got on the phone and told me all the fun he's having, then said "bye mummy" and kissed the phone. Well, he's going to stay there tonight as well, and I'm going to sleep here, all by myself, in peace and quiet, and hopefully feel better tomorrow! I have always thought single parents had their work cut out for them, it must be hard to do it alone.

Has anyone read "Operating Instructions" by Anne Lamott? It's her diary entries from the first year of her son's life--she's an author, and was a recovering addict and single parent at the time she had her son. It's such a funny, sad, wonderful little book, that I don't think you would get if you didn't have a child. I recommend it to anyone. That and the CD by Nancy White called "Momnipotent", which has a little song on it called "The Secret", that you should all rush out and listen to as well. Another one of those things that you just wouldn't get until you had a child of your own.

Alison, who is so tired and starting to ramble.
#132 of 259 Old 04-17-2005, 03:04 PM

Hugs to you, Alison, for what sounds like an awful, awful night. I, too, have no idea how single parents do it. Yikes.

I hope you had a lovely, peaceful, wonderful night of sleep last night with the house all to yourself. Yay!

I know of Lamott's book but haven't read it. Glad to hear the good review; I'll put it on my list!

#133 of 259 Old 04-17-2005, 03:37 PM

hi, I'm marnie, my daughter Maya will be 2 on the 22nd!

She's wonderful in every way

She's a major talker. we're a bilingual family (italian/english) and she's started saying complete sentences in english ("i like it" or "don't like it" are her favorites!) She loves dolls and trains and pointing to the sky to find the moon, airplanes, and helicopters. She adores books, and will show anyone who cares to see where all the mice are hiding in "Goodnight Moon".

She has a bunch of great friends her age, including another Maya who lives across the street who has her second birthday on the 26th. The Maya's are sharing a birthday party this year and they're pretty excited about it.

Sometimes she asks to use the potty, but for the most part she's firmly in diapers. Now that she likes to pick by color and pattern which one she'll wear i think we'll be in diapers for a long time

We nurse at naptimes and bedtime and occasionally overnight (about a month ago she started sleeping for more than 3 hour stretches for the first time in her life! woo hoo!). She's a pretty good eater when she's not teething, and she loves veggies and popsicles most of all.

Our biggest problem is that maya loves to run away and thinks it's hysterical. i cannot let go of her for a second or she's off. we live in New York City and walk everywhere and it's really hard keeping her close by. on two occasions she ran right out of a store and into the street before i caught her. and she just laughs and laughs. it's giving me a heart attack daily.

off to read the rest of the thread
#134 of 259 Old 04-17-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&Hmommy
Hi everyone. I'm Chrissy and my son Hayden was born April 16, 2003. He is really small for his age-I don't know why and it's really bothering me. He is not eating much at all these past few weeks. He's probably 25 lbs or so. We breastfed for a year.
Maya's only 23 pounds and 32 inches. She was 22 pounds from the time she was 6 months until last month. Do you have a good pediatrician you can talk to?

I feel that Maya's doing ok because she's developing in a bunch of different ways, so i'm thinking height and weight will come later.
#135 of 259 Old 04-18-2005, 11:26 AM

Welcome, Marnie!

#136 of 259 Old 04-19-2005, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

How is everyone? We've had a really mixed ten days without DH, but he's back tonight, so hooray! Leaving Andrew at daycare this am was the hardest thing ever! He just bawled "my daddy, my daddy. my daddy". He has been missing DH terribly!

Alison
#137 of 259 Old 04-20-2005, 01:38 PM

we've had a great few days - today is lily's 2nd birthday! this past weekend we took her to the other side of island for 2 days, went to the zoo, a horse ranch, stood guard by a koi fish pond outside the hotel many times a day and had a great time. this morning we are going for our usual Wed. morning walk with my mother, add in my father and dh and then some gifts after...I am so blessed to have her and am excited to celebrate the day that she arrived :-))!!!!
#138 of 259 Old 04-20-2005, 03:09 PM

konamama: Wow, sounds like a fabulous time. Happy birthday to Lily!

Alison: We're all well here. Um, except that DH just lost his job. (Huge education budget cuts; he's a teacher.) If I allowed myself to focus on it, I'd be really, really angry and worried. But right now I/we are just focusing on getting ready for weekend houseguests, big birthday party on Sunday, etc.

As I told DH when he gave me the news...the most important thing is that we're all together. Like you, konamama, we feel very blessed!

#139 of 259 Old 04-20-2005, 03:15 PM

DD is very into "The Cat in the Hat" - we have to read it once or twice a day at least. She can even repeat a lot of the lines! For her birthday last sunday we did a cat in the hat themed birthday party. It was just us, grandparents and one set of friends with a toddler, so we didn't go nuts or anything, but I made her a cat in the hat coloring book by scanning the pages of the book and removing the color.

My husband talked me into attempting to make a hat cake - 6 layers of 6" round cake, each decorated with red or white. It was pretty funny since we didn't do any of the internal structure you are supposed to use with those types of cakes, so by the time we were ready to blow out the candles the cake was leaning significantly to one side - it wouldn't have lasted much longer!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#140 of 259 Old 04-21-2005, 07:59 PM

It's fun to hear how all of you celebrated 2nd birthdays! I had to cancel dd's beach party because her grandma and niece were both sick. Bummer! We are re-scheduling for sometime in May.

My family did fly in to celebrate with us and brought some fun presents. Dd loves birds so they got her a kids bird book and she likes to read it again and again and loves to say Chickadee.

I tried a bunch of healthy cake recipes but none of them tasted good to us so I made her honey sweetened oatmeal cookies and for some reason they didn't turn out as good as usual. I'm usually a good cook but something about the pressure of cooking for a birthday always ends up turning something into a disaster dd still liked them and had fun blowing out the candles.

Tine-Sorry to hear dh lost his job....hope something else turns up real soon! And hope you have a great birthday party!

marnie-Welcome! The Mayas birthday party sounds like fun!
#141 of 259 Old 04-21-2005, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Tine: I'm so sorry to hear about your husband losing his job. That really sucks. Does that mean he gets to be a SAHD to save on daycare costs? Jeff hates his job so much some days that I think he'd like to get laid off. Some days I wish we could afford for him to stay at home. He'd certainly learn patience with Andrew then. Anyway, I hope things work out for the best, whatever that may be. Sometimes it amazes me how little importance governments place on education though. I mean, even in Canada I think we spend more on prisoners than we do on school kids. It's nuts. And don't even get me started on how we undervalue teachers and early childhood educators.

surf mama: Andrew loves birds too. We have one of those plush chickadees that you get from I think the Audubon Society, and he squeezes it and imitates the chickadee call. The only problem is that if we're having chicken for dinner, he insists on calling it chickadee, so I'm not sure what people think we eat!

Alison
#142 of 259 Old 04-22-2005, 11:39 AM

Alison and surf mama: Thanks for your kind words.

We've often considered having DH be a SAHD; he's perfectly suited for it, and really wants to. He LOVES spending the summers at home with Tony. But I just don't think we could swing it. The cost of living is high here, and DH is also in grad school right now, so we have a lot of expenses. Plus we're committed to starting Tony in Montessori next fall; we've found a wonderful little school that we think will help him flourish in a way that we couldn't do at home. So...the job hunt begins. Sigh. I'm an optimistic person, but this is getting tiring...it's the 3rd time it's happened. DH is a stellar teacher who gets great performance reviews, but he's been teaching for only 6 years and doesn't have much seniority, which is the deciding factor when jobs get cut. Teaching was a career change for DH. He used to own his own business. It was lucrative, but DH wasn't happy--he'd always wanted to teach. So he went back to college at the age of 40 and followed his dream. Little did he know he'd enter the profession just when education budgets across the country would start being slashed. It's so unfair. And yeah...don't get me started on our screwed-up education system either!

Yikes--this post turned into a long vent. Sorry! We'll be fine, of course. Just wish things didn't have to be so darn complicated all the time.

Loved the chickadee stories. Tony's recent favorite bird to talk about is the flamingo. He calls it "pampinko"--so cute!

#143 of 259 Old 04-22-2005, 06:23 PM

I'm jumping into this thread a little late, but oh well. So many posts! I knew there must be a lot of April '03 babes because three of our local hospital maternity wards were full when I was in labor. Crazy.

Anyway, DS Alex was born 4/12. He's just started talking about 3 weeks ago - it seems like he learns about 50 words a day at least. His favorite word by far is "park" which he says at least 100 times a day. Other than playing at the park, he loves basketball. He already shoots, dribbles and passes. He also loves watching basketball on TV with his dad and "reading" Sports Illustrated. I'm the earthy-crunchy type, so the sports thing is hard for me to understand, but I'm learning to be more open-minded

We night weaned DS about 2 months ago. At that point he was still nursing 8 to 10 times a day. However, there's nothing like pregnancy to get you motivated to wean. Alex is now completely weaned. I must admit the whole process was much easier than I anticipated it would be. He still touches me sometimes and makes a little sad sound, but that's pretty rare. A glass of water or a snack always does the trick.

While toddlerhood can certainly be tricky at times, I just love watching their little worlds open up. So cool.
#144 of 259 Old 04-22-2005, 09:54 PM

Hi ... I'm new here, but I saw this thread and had to post because my son was born on 04 April 2003. His name is Eben. So hello!
#145 of 259 Old 04-22-2005, 11:08 PM

Alison - funny "bird" story. lily's favorite bird is the chicken, there are a bunch who run wild on our farm - she especially loves the babies... so we were at the store the other day, passing the deli section and she saw the pre-cooked chickens, asked what they were, I told her and asked if she wanted me to get one for her and dh (I am a veg) and she said "no yum the doo" translation, no eat the chicken - sooo funny! I'll get my little one to see the light yet, in her own time, on her own terms :-)
#146 of 259 Old 04-23-2005, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, guys, this is my 1000th post! So I've decided to share it with you guys!

Welcome Rida and Annik!

Annik, Andrew has been talking for ages, but he still seems to learn 50 words a day--it's just amazing how much they pick up and how fast they pick it up! Right now he's trying to figure out plurals. So we often hear things like "lotsa carses" or "two birdses". I know he'll figure it out evetually, but it's so funny to hear him trying words out to see what works!

Alison
#147 of 259 Old 04-23-2005, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, that was magic, I'm a Senior Member now!

Alison
#148 of 259 Old 04-23-2005, 05:57 PM

Alison- : : Congratulations on becoming a senior member! Thanks for sharing it with us!

konamama-I am a veg too but dd and dh eat meat...in fact dd LOVES meat best of all. I get her free range organic meat so I feel better about that. I love the "no yum the doo" comment. Cute!

Rida-Welcome! I look forward to getting to know you.

Annik-Welcome! There were so many babies born around here (NW) when my dd was born too. When I went to buy her clothes or diaper wraps her size was often sold out. I had to start buying the next sizes ahead of time!

Tine-my dd loves flamingos too. She used to insist that they were ducks but now calls them mingos. She is an independent little one.

Hope you are all doing well. Dd has a cold and I am hoping and praying that it doesn't turn into an infection! I'm using all the natural remedies I know of. She almost always gets ear infections after being sick. I hope this time is different!
#149 of 259 Old 04-24-2005, 12:02 AM

Thanks for the welcomes.

Surfmama - have you tried Mullein/Willow Bark/Garlic Oil drops for your DD? We've had great luck with it.
#150 of 259 Old 04-24-2005, 12:40 AM

Annik-thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tried that but I am hoping to get to the health food store to get some soon! She seems to be feeling better this evening...tonight will be the real test though.....it is always the worst in the middle of the night.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page