How many playsilks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK I want to get Maya some playsilks. She has a few of the handkerchief size and one larger one she got when she was born. She also enjoys playing with a silk scarf a Thai friend gave me. My question is how many playsilks do you have?
How many do you wish you had? I have seen some places have deals for 8 or 12... Is it a case of the more the merrier?

TIA,
Kathryn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 03:50 PM

To some degree, the more hte merrier, but I would guess that having more is really more useful at the preschool/school age than toddler. I bought 4 initially of the 36" size and a large rainbow one that is like 5 feet long. Really this seemed to be plenty, but I wanted to play with dyeing them myself, so I got some from thai silks and now we have tons - I actually put most of them away for now, having 4 or 5 out, any more and it just becomes another silk in the bundle of silks she carries around and doesn't really seem to contribute additionally to her play. However, when she's older and actually pretending the silks ARE things, I think having more in various colors will be useful.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#3 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 03:56 PM

We have 6 that we dyed ourselves. We have about three or four different sizes and shapes represented in those 6, as well as different colors. Right now the most she plays with at a time is usually 2, so I don't think she could use any more. I agree with mightymoo about when they are older, though. Right now she mostly just likes to put them on her head or around her neck (or on our heads or our necks!).

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#4 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 04:18 PM

#5 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 04:40 PM

what did you use to dye your playsilks? I haven't gotten any yet but I'd like to for dd's 2nd birthday and it would be nice if I could get them cheaper to dye myself. Oh and where did you find ones that weren't dyed? Thanks for your help.
#6 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 04:44 PM

We have a lot, not sure the number. Mainly they are the handkerchief size because they came in a group of ten or twelve when I ordered them. I gave a few of these away as gifts. I dyed them myself so it was not very spendy to get a large collection. DS likes piling them around or on top of himself and hiding in them. I also figure he will have them for a long time.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#7 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf mama
what did you use to dye your playsilks? I haven't gotten any yet but I'd like to for dd's 2nd birthday and it would be nice if I could get them cheaper to dye myself. Oh and where did you find ones that weren't dyed? Thanks for your help.
We got ours from Dharma. I think we got the 8mm habotai - look under scarves. I think we paid about $20 for the 6 we got.

We dyed them with Kool-Aid. It was our first time doing so and it was fun and pretty easy. If you do some searches in Sewing and Crafts you should find some more information.

Good luck!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#8 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 07:34 PM

We have about a dozen We love to play with them all of the time.

Best dyes if you want to "do it yourself" are Acid dyes all the way IMO

I like to make extras to give as b-day presents or sell to others with little ones I meet, etc
#9 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 07:36 PM

#10 of 15 Old 03-03-2005, 07:40 PM

Thanks for all the info on buying and dyeing playsilks.

mamaofthreeboys-I was also thinking about getting extra to dye and give as gifts. Some of my more mainstream friends don't know about playsilks so it would be fun to introduce them.
#11 of 15 Old 03-04-2005, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your imput mamas. I will stick to just ordering a few for now. Dyeing your own sounds interesting but that is not for me now. Maybe in the future. Now I just need to pick out some colors...

It is good to remember that you can have too much of a good thing.
Warmly,
kathryn
#12 of 15 Old 03-04-2005, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotkrrn
I also used Kool Aid, and ordered the scarves from thaisilks.com - the China silk 8mm Habotai ones, 30x30 size. At $1.80 per scarf and .25 per Kool Aid packet, it's a pretty good deal.
Also just a little FYI...Remember to use vinegar to set the dye too....otherwise the silks will bleed :
#13 of 15 Old 03-04-2005, 11:08 AM

we have a bunch- some were gifts, some we bought, some are scarves left over from my retail days sometimes we use a bunch, sometimes just one.
#14 of 15 Old 03-04-2005, 01:04 PM

We have two and he seems pretty happy with them, I don't plan on getting anymore right now.
#15 of 15 Old 03-04-2005, 01:12 PM

I've never seen my 20 mo play with more than 2 at a time. But since i have a 4yo, too, we have about 7 or 8 total. even when we just had one toddler, it was nice to at least have 4 for when friends come over! I would suggest starting with warm colors (salmon, red, yellow, orange) and moving to cooler colors as they get older (blues, greens, also they will need these colors at pre-k age to start using for landscapes).

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page