Roll Call- Who's signing with their toddler?***Tribe Update!*** - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 141 Old 03-29-2005, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are some good links to send people who think kids should be talking not signing? We use the Signing Time videos.

My 21 mo DS started signing at 15 mo. He says some things but can sign more. He understands almost everything we say/read though. Just doesn't say the words himself. Signing is like his hobby! He loves (is addicted to) the videos.

On a first visit to a new MD/homeopath), she was extremely concerned that he wasn't verbalizing more. I told her that we are absolutely not concerned about this, but she will not let it go and wants to consider it a sort of symptom - Yikes! Other than this, she is VERY on target and cool, so my feeling is that she simply is not educated about it because her own son (who is now 9 or so) did not do anything like this.

So I want to print out some things/evidence to take to my next visit.

In public we have had only positive responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 141 Old 03-29-2005, 10:52 AM

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#123 of 141 Old 03-29-2005, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

here come the links!!! ......

bbc news
channel 7
yorkregion.com
little signers

there are more, but i have to go eat something- it's dd's birthday & i have existed on frosting all day!!
#124 of 141 Old 04-03-2005, 03:23 PM

I've been trying to watch one Signing Time DVD once a day with my ds. So, the other day we were sitting on the couch with my older ds and my toddler kicked him and it hurt. My older ds made a sound and/or a face that he was hurt and my toddler ran his hand over his face and made a sad face. I didn't really think much of that but my older ds asked me what sign that was. At first I said it was nothing then I realized it was the sign for sad that we had seen on the DVD. We'd only watched that DVD twice, though. Is it possible that he picked up that sign that quickly just from the DVD? I've been showing him the sign for cat for months now and he has never done it.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#125 of 141 Old 04-03-2005, 06:16 PM

We are also using the Signing Time DVDs, my dd loves them and calls them the "Babies". I have learned more myself and been so much more consistant with signing since we got the DVDs. We are having so much fun "listening" to her sign and the frustration of not understanding her has really lessoned.
She also has picked up signs much more quickly than others, I guess some just make more of an impression on her.
Is there a Signing Tribe?
#126 of 141 Old 04-03-2005, 06:30 PM

I'm very late as this is the first time I've heard of the Signing Times DVD's.
We've started learning the ASL alphabet here. One day my DD & I were playing and just goofing around I showed her how to spell my name in ASL (it's the only thing I know). She showed such an interest in learning how to do the letters that I had to find out how to do the entire alphabet. I think it's great that she likes it so much. Now, I must purchase one of those DVD's.
#127 of 141 Old 04-04-2005, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ohh, a signing tribe- what does everyone think? I like it!

MarineWife, i think it totally counts! some signs just "speak" more to a child than others! dd started signing "banana" very quickly after seeing it on Signing Time!

DD has started trying to fingerspell along with the alphabet song. very cute!
#128 of 141 Old 04-04-2005, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobica
DD has started trying to fingerspell along with the alphabet song. very cute!
Ds tries to, too. It's so funny, especially when he follows it by tapping his wrist to sign "time" like Rachel. :LOL

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#129 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 AM

just wanted to share that Lily has started "saying" several new words today! I was getting discouraged a bit and forgetting to use signs myself a lot, but today I showed her thank you, eat, daddy, dog, all done, and she did them all!! And then "performed" for dh--it was so great! Today she's been "babbling" "more" and verbally saying "mama", which is her word for everything these days! Anyway, just wanted to share that it seems things are really starting to click. I needed the boost!

And I just love that my ds who is 3 LOVES to use signs all the time! and he has a great vocab and speech, so it's just purely fun and another way to expand his horizons. I love it! It really helps me remember to use the signs w/ Lily. And dh is getting to brush up on his ESL and showing James how to sign sentances. Very cool! My MIL is impressed.

BTW A signing tribe is a great idea!
#130 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 10:25 AM

I love ASL and have been using it with my two children as often as I can. I've taken quite a few classes and it's my hope that someday I can work at a school for the Deaf!
I've started finger spelling with my 2 1/2 year old. He doesn't recognize written letters but knows certain letters when we sign them. He loves R and E the best. His tiny fingers making the letter R is soooo cute!

Quick question... I've never seen the Signing Times videos but what's up with the woman on the covers with the colored bands on her fingers?
#131 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHmomOF2

Quick question... I've never seen the Signing Times videos but what's up with the woman on the covers with the colored bands on her fingers?
I assume it's to make it easier to "read" some close signs, like the letter M vs N, etc.?

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#132 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

#133 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa20014
I assume it's to make it easier to "read" some close signs, like the letter M vs N, etc.?
Oh. I assume she wears them throughout the video??
#134 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Oh. I assume she wears them throughout the video??
Yes, but only volumes 4-6.

#135 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
We've only watched volumes 1-3 and, although the woman on the box of Volume 3 has the colored bands on her fingers, I haven't noticed them on her hands in the videos themselves. I was wondering myself what they were for and assumed it had something to do with understanding different signs.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#136 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife
We've only watched volumes 1-3 and, although the woman on the box of Volume 3 has the colored bands on her fingers, I haven't noticed them on her hands in the videos themselves.
I don't think the original packaging for volume 3 had that picture. It looks like (judging by signingtime.com) they redid the packaging for the first 3 to make them consistent with 4-6. Our volume 3 (purchased more than 6 months ago) doesn't have the bands in the box picture.

#137 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 03:05 PM

Yeah, I just looked at mine again because I was putting one in for my ds and I see that she has the colored bands on her fingers in all the photos on volumes 1-3. I just bought mine last month so I guess it is a new thing. Like I said, she doesn't have the bands on her hands in the videos themselves.

OMG! As I'm typing I just glanced over to see my ds doing the sign for doll with the kids on the video! I love these DVDs! Now I just have to learn it.

#138 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

yep, the bands are just in 4-6 & it's for clarity on some of the more challenging signs & for fingerspelling.
#139 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 04:16 PM

marinewife - I think it could really be that your baby learned the sign. there are some signs i've been doing with my son for 5-6 months and still he doesn't do them (like the one my other sons LOVED, milk, he just won't do it) but other signs he picks up so fast. He's a maniac for banana and bird! Go figure...
#140 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 05:00 PM

Can I join this tribe? I don't know if my dd is really a toddler, but she's already signing. She knows Milk, Dirty, Dog, More, and Eat. I'm very proud of her. She'll be 10 months on the 18th.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#141 of 141 Old 04-05-2005, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Can I join this tribe? I don't know if my dd is really a toddler, but she's already signing. She knows Milk, Dirty, Dog, More, and Eat. I'm very proud of her. She'll be 10 months on the 18th.

come on over!!! follow the link above- it's for all mamas who sign with their kids, no matter what age!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page