Toddler hitting self on head - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-17-2005, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS - 16 months - recently started hitting himself on the head with his hands. Hard! : Is this something to worry about? It bothers me a lot - especially when he does it in public. He is teething very heavily at the moment (6 are trying to get through) So I wonder if that is part of it?
#2 of 5 Old 03-17-2005, 05:06 PM

I think that is pretty normal. My dd did that, she has moved on to banging her head on the floor or wall to show us how mad she is. They stop pretty quickly when they figure out that it hurts. She is funny, she moves to a soft surface mid-tantrum.....
#3 of 5 Old 03-17-2005, 05:15 PM

Yes, DS, 19M, does that too. I don't know of a soultion. I tell him not to hit it hurts, then he'll kiss himself.
#4 of 5 Old 03-17-2005, 05:19 PM

Liberty will do that too when she is teething. I try to ask her if something hurts and then she will, usually, point to where it hurts. Recently she started smacked herself on her left ear and lo and behold she had an ear infection!
#5 of 5 Old 03-17-2005, 05:22 PM

We're going through a phase in which my DD (21 mo) is sometimes hitting other children (and out dogs). We've been trying lots of different things to deter this behavior, and for a while, we were giving lots of attention to the child who had been hit. Well, when she realized that you got attention if you were hit, she started hitting herself. The first time, I screwed up in my reaction and gave her the response I had been giving others, "oh, no! that must have hurt, are you okay?" And a hug. Well, after that, she did it more and more... I've been completely ignoring it since then and she's not not doing it much anymore. Probably not the same thing as you are going through, but that's what's happening here...

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page