Peeling and cracking between the toes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-26-2005, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is almost two and has a lot of peeling and cracking in between his toes. It doesn't seem to bother him, but he's not really a complainer. Any thoughts on what it could be??
#2 of 6 Old 03-26-2005, 04:51 PM

My son has had peeling and cracking between his toes, and it did bother him when we put him in the bath. We've gotten 3 opinions on what might be wrong:

1) A nurse at our ped office (on the phone) suggested it could be dry skin and that we just add lotion, let him wear cotton socks only, and change his socks more often. A few weeks of Burt's Bees hand lotion didn't help much.
2) At his 12 month check-up, the doc who was seeing us thought it might actually be athlete's foot and suggested we put tinactin cream on his toes. That helped, but then it just came back. So I don't think this was the answer.
3) Our actual ped at 18 months suggested it might be eczema, and that a litttle bit of hydrocortinsone cream might help, followed by a barrier lotion (we just used hand lotion) and cotton socks. We tried this for a few days, it cleared up, and it hasn't come back.

It could be either of these 3 things, which is why I've listed them all. Our problem was that it really bothered my son in the bathtub (he'd scream!). If your son doesn't seem to mind, I'd just leave it. Otherwise try a little moisturizer first and see if that's all it takes.

Good luck!
#3 of 6 Old 03-26-2005, 04:58 PM

It's probably fungal. Lotrimin AF should work. Or diluted tea tree oil.
The other poster has some good suggestions too.
#4 of 6 Old 03-26-2005, 10:34 PM

micah had something similar... i put a few drops of tea tree oil diluted in jojoba oil on his toes and covered them with clean white socks every night for a week or so and it took care of it. and he really enjoyed his little foot massages... he still comes to me with a pair of socks in his hand and a hopeful look on his face asking, "feet? feet?"
#5 of 6 Old 03-26-2005, 10:47 PM

My daughter has this under her toes. The doc told us that its probably athletes foot too! I don't think it is. I am going to try what the other poster suggested or maybe the tea tree oil! Those are great ideas!
#6 of 6 Old 03-27-2005, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much. I'm going to try this afternoon and will report back how it goes. What a relief...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page