Where oh where is our Jan/Feb 2004 thread?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-30-2005, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just looking and wonder how all the bab..err toddlers are doing!

Celeste is doing great, finally walking well and getting into everything, not much hair, but trimming down (wish I was!) she is really learning so much right now and is very verbal and signs a lot, and very funny!

She does not eat much protein though but still nurses well.

Not a lot else to report but here are some pics, and point me to the official thread!

http://home.earthlink.net/~celestegabrielle/id5.html

Who stole my signature!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 03-31-2005, 11:28 AM

I don't think there's been a thread in awhile.

My babe:

He's blowing kisses.

He's still climbing EVERYTHING, and will now open the curtain and lift the
shade to see "his" choo-choos (whispering choo-choo the whole time...I don't
know why he won't just say it out loud, it's like it's a secret *LOL*) When
the train is gone, he'll put one hand up and say "Aw-gaw" (same when his
food is gone).

He loves to get on the coffee table and STAND UP and run back and forth on
it....and yes, he's fallen...EEK!

He's learned to open up the table doors that Sis fashioned a "lock" out of
a hairband...and gets games out. If I tell him to put them back, he will
though.

He also gets out Bub's football, soccerball, basketball and plays with
them. My mom got him a little mitt and ball for Easter (the ball has velcro
on it so it sticks to the soft mitt) and he'll play catch (has a pretty good
arm on him too!)

He'll climb stairs and is trying to walk DOWN stairs now too...pretty scary!

He "reads" books, will chatter away to you in his own little language. Alot
of words are coming out pretty good, but when he gets going it sounds like
Chinese.

He knows how to comb his hair...of course, it all gets combed forwards, but
he combs it! Anything that looks remotely like a comb gets turned into one
too...even fingernail files, wrenches, you name it...he combs his hair with
it.

He'll draw you a picture, he'll play with Play-doh (though he still likes
to eat a bit of it...bluch!) and though I don't let him watch alot of tv,
he's found some favorites when I turn them on...Sesame Street.

He's thinned down ALOT. Is up to 33 inches tall and though he was 27 pounds at his 12 month checkup, he lost some when he was sick (just got over RSV a few weeks ago) and is sitting at 26 pounds.

Still co-sleeping, but he's almost TOTALLY on a cup now.
#3 of 26 Old 03-31-2005, 05:22 PM

I have never posted here because I've been in denial that my dd is not a baby! -And I'm also kinda new to mdc,-so 'hello!'

Sophia is 14 months and is running all over the place. Her favorite thing to do is torment our poor cat. He is very good with her,-very patient and extremely tolerant. He just takes his beating,as she does body slam him.

She has been signing for a while but I have been very lazy lately teaching her anything new. She has been saying a few words too,-her new one is 'PEE PEE!' -She yells this at the top of her lungs,it can be a little embarrasing. I did not encourage this word to come out and I'm a little puzzled why she is so infactuated with this word.

She's also intrigued by belly buttons. She's always lifting up her shirt to dig in her button and is not afraid to find other peoples bellybuttons either. I made the mistake asking her where our cats belly button was and she threw herself on him and started searching for it beneath all of the fluff.

Question for mamas who are still breastfeeding. How often is your toddler feeding? Are they losing interest? Sophia has definately lost interest and I'm kinda bummed about it. She seems more interested in solids right now and prefers a sippy cup. I work part time and so when I work dh gives her a cup.

Isa

PS: What a cutie-pie Celeste is!
#4 of 26 Old 03-31-2005, 09:23 PM

DS loves to play with our dog. She's great. They'll chase each other all over the room.
He just discovered yesterday how to climb the dining room and chairs and will proceed to try to get on the table.
He also loves to brush his teeth. Whenever he sees Mommy, he has to have his toothbrush. He'll even shake his body like he's trying to brush.
We've been outside enjoying the weather and he loves it! Gets a kick out of watching Daddy blow bubbles and our dog trying to eat them.

Isadora - he's still nursing. Between when we get up and I leave for work in the evening, he nurses really good about 3 times. Altho he'll have little "snax" in between. Then he nurses when I get home for bed and still wakes up at least once at night. He loves his food but loves his Mommy too! :LOL
#5 of 26 Old 03-31-2005, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

They sound so cute, I didnt think I would enjoy the toddler phase as much as the sweet baby phase but I am, they are so funny at this age!

Celeste is nursing umm about a million times a day!

Who stole my signature!
#6 of 26 Old 04-01-2005, 02:28 AM

Welcome Isadora! Alyssa really only nurses at nighttime and naptime anymore. She will stop for a "snack" a few times throughout the day, but not much.

Alyssa sounds a lot like your kiddos - except for the talking. Still not much of that here. She loves belly buttons. She is such a climber. She is totally fearless and will climb anything. She loves to torment the dog. She is just so happy and such a joy. I am really enjoying this age too.

She never liked a sippy cup, she just went straight to regular cups. She drinks very well out of them, but I still hold it for her, since she hasn't caught on as to how to set the cup back down yet, she just chucks it.

We have been spending more time outside this week since it is finally nice out. She actually walked on grass for the first time in her life on Easter. I have taken her to the park twice this week. She isn't a big fan of swinging, hopefully she will learn to like it. I sat with her in the tire swing today and she enjoyed that. Glad this long winter is finally coming to an end.

We still co-sleep but we bought her a twin size mattress and put it on the floor in her room for her to sleep on for naps and at night before we go to bed. I tell ya, that was the best thing we ever did. She is going to sleep about 9pm now, instead of 12am and is taking a regular nap every afternoon. She was the worst sleeper before this.

I'm not sure how tall she is but she has been hanging around 19 lbs now for months. She is just so active. I wish I had her energy.
#7 of 26 Old 04-01-2005, 02:58 AM

Hi! Glad to see some familiar faces!!

Well what can I say about Nitara? She's really doing well. Growing, talking up a storm (I love it when she looks at Abi and says "sis-tah"), walking well, and has the sweetest temperament. Even when she's mad she gets over it real fast. She has slept well since her ear tubes were put in a couple weeks ago.

Not eating but what's new with that? She'll get there. She will bite, chew, and swallow enough that we know that she can eat when she wants to. Which isn't often but oh well. That's what the tube is for.

Glad everyone's doing well. I can't believe we have toddlers!!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#8 of 26 Old 04-01-2005, 04:57 AM

So glad this thread is here, love hearing how the babies are doing. See? I do it too, I should say toddlers!!

Luke is running all over, climbing and into everything. He's very strong too. Sometimes I'm amazed at how much he can lift.

He's finally wearing shoes. Just decided one day he liked them. I was on the floor with him wearing my white tennis shoes and he was playing with them. Then he goes over to his toy basket, pulls out his white tennis shoes, brings them to me and hands them over saying "AH!" he wanted me to put them on. He then proceeded to prance around stomping the living room, showing them off, too cute. Now he knows that putting on shoes means going outside, which he loves to do maore than anything, so he will bring me his shoes and pat the front door.

He isn't talking much. Says da-da, ma-ma and ball pretty clearly. Other than that he does animal imitations. Ask him what the lion says he'll roar, the gorilla he'll beat his chest and yell "ahhhhh" the elephant he'll lift his arm up and do an elephant imitation. He meows, says woof-woof and quack quack for the right animals too. But he doesn't SAY anything else. Although I'm not worried about it now because I can tell how smart he is.

He can stack up to 6 blocks, put all the shapes into his shape sorter, throw a ball with great skill, and sort of catch.

I've only given him crayons a couple times at restaurants where they give them to kids and he's coloring now without eating them, yipee! He drinks rom a straw very well, but I hold the cup because like Alyssa he'll chuck it when he's done.

I'm trying so hard to make all his food, or just give him regular solids that I'm afraid he isn't getting enough protien. I've never bought a jar of baby food, and I'm starting to think the jar fed babies are getting a better diet. So far I've only made in bulk and frozen fruits and veggies. But I just ordered from amazon a baby/toddler cookbook, so I can get some ideas for meals I can make in advance and just defrost. So the only protien he gets is yogurt, not even that everyday and breastmilk. He nurses all day long. Maybe if we go out for a few hours he'll be distracted enough to forget about it for up to 4 hours, but at home it's ever hour at least, for maybe 1 minute but all day long.

We still co-sleep, I even stopped putting him in the crib or naps, he's in our bed all the time. I figure that's a good thing, since we are going to start off on a 3 month vacation traveling the country as a family in June. He won't have any other place to sleep but the carseat and our bed.
#9 of 26 Old 04-02-2005, 01:24 PM

AJ got his first pair of "big boy" shoes yesterday! We had to get him 8 WIDES! EEK! He has a really thick foot though, and I wasn't too optimistic about finding a pair that fit, but they did.
#10 of 26 Old 04-02-2005, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkenny
AJ got his first pair of "big boy" shoes yesterday! We had to get him 8 WIDES! EEK! He has a really thick foot though, and I wasn't too optimistic about finding a pair that fit, but they did.
Wow those are some big shoes! How big is he?! Celeste finally will wear shoes and walk in them, she only takes a size 5 infant though.

She has taken to removing her diaper and running through the house shouting DI-PER DI-PER but she also does this if she poops (and lets us know if we dont know!) so luckily we change her diaper very regularly!

Who stole my signature!
#11 of 26 Old 04-02-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess
I'm trying so hard to make all his food, or just give him regular solids that I'm afraid he isn't getting enough protien. I've never bought a jar of baby food, and I'm starting to think the jar fed babies are getting a better diet. So far I've only made in bulk and frozen fruits and veggies. But I just ordered from amazon a baby/toddler cookbook, so I can get some ideas for meals I can make in advance and just defrost. So the only protien he gets is yogurt, not even that everyday and breastmilk. He nurses all day long.
I am having this issue too, and am worried she is not getting enough protein, if I try to sneak some in she removes it from her mouth, plus she is allergic to dairy, I am hoping she is getting enough in breast milk, and sounds like she and Luke are on the same nursing schedule. I have a vegetarian baby book and might look for some recipes in there though was not intending to make her vegetarian! I only eat some chicken and fish and used to be vegetarian myself though but eat more protein now.

Who stole my signature!
#12 of 26 Old 04-03-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinye
Wow those are some big shoes! How big is he?! !
At his 12 month checkup he was 27 pounds, but he lost some weight when he had RSV last month and at last count was 26 pounds. I measured him at 33 inches tall, so he's gained almost 2 inches in the last 2 months too!

He's a big boy, but big feet run in the family too. My 9 year old wears a size 6 men's and my almost 12 year old is only 4'11", 83 pounds but has 8 1/2 women's feet. (BTW, she was a big, solid, chunky girl when she was our babe's age too...no bearing on her now!)
#13 of 26 Old 04-03-2005, 10:12 PM

Since Nitara is tube-fed I read a lot about nutrition. Jarred babyfood is not that healthy. I mean it's okay, but the fruits and veggies have no protein and not that many calories. The pasta and potato dishes have a little bit more.

As long as the baby is nursing or taking some kind of protein-rich drink (formula, soy milk, etc) and eating a variety of foods it's fine. By variety I mean one bite of this one bite of that, or eating only one thing for 2-3 days and then eating only another thing for 2-3 days. The best thing to go on is growth, energy level, and no signs of anemia.

I think we as a culture worry too much sometimes. Food is such a huge issue. It can be, for many parents, a control issue becuase of something they were made or not made to do as children.

Pediasure is what Nitara gets mostly. I give her some food through her tube once a day, whatever I can find. Avacadoes and lentils (blended and strained), and bananas are the three things that I feel are most beneficial to her right now. I also give her potatoes sometimes. Lots of calories and energy.

Protein is overrated. There are very few breastfed babies who don't get enough protein. Breastmilk is great for protein and fat.

Nitara takes Pediasure for most of her nutrition. It's 30 calories/oz. and she requires 28-30 oz per day. A child up to age 10 can survive on this same amount (32 oz)! Incredible but true. Breastmilk is 20 calories/oz. so it's good stuff and if your baby nurses a lot then they should be getting adequate calories/fat/protein. The only thing I might be concerned about is iron, but most babies are fine, and they do make vitamin drops if you have any doubts in your head about it.

Hope that makes everyone feel better.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#14 of 26 Old 04-03-2005, 11:56 PM

I am constantly amazed at this little miniature person I produced :LOL She does tons of stuff!

Walks! (really well! forwards and backwards and sideways! And wants to do it all the time... wherever we are...)

Runs! Especially when we suggest a diaper change :: sigh ::

Climbs! stairs, furniture, the soft blocks and mats we have

Says about 25 words. About 18 are intelligible, the rest I understand in context.... like if we're reading a book and we finish she says "in?" for again. She blathers a lot. Like another poster said, it sounds like chinese but it's a constant stream of "conversation"

Understands... not sure. A lot. Today she said "side?" so I said you want to go outside? And she looked hopeful. I said "go get your jacket and bring it to me. It's on the couch" And she did it! Then she ran away when I tried to put it on her

Signs - like crazy! It's so useful for the words she can't say yet. And for frustration moments (she can sign all done in the high chair before she gets the words out)

She loves to read. She carefully selects a title off the shelf and hands it to me ("boo?"), then turns around, backs up, and plops down in my lap :LOL

She identifies her body parts - head, shoulders knees and toes is our latest favorite song

She eats all manner of solid food - with only 2 teeth! The top front one is just making an appearance. But she eats chicken, fish, beef, veggies, fruit, and whatever I'm eating as long as it's small bits. She's fairly adventurous about trying stuff too. Her favorite is spinach quiche.

She tries to dress herself! Takes socks and lays them on her feet, hats on head, etc. She tries to dress her friends too :LOL

She uses household objects - if she spots the phone sitting around she picks it up and yells "HI! HI! HI! HI!" She "brushes her hair"

She "puts things away" Even upon request She thinks this is a game - just wait until she catches on that we have her doing chores!

She throws and rolls a ball, fits objects into shape sorters and stuff, empties and fills containers, etc.

Dances! Loves music and will shake, shimmy, bounce and twist for all of our kiddie tunes

She puts her animals to bed. This is hilarious to watch. She takes whatever article of clothing she can find and lays her bear down, then the clothing over it, and pats it, saying "n'niiiiiigh, n'niiiiiiigh" She moves the bear around the family room and repeatedly adjusts the bear's position, the clothing over it, etc. She can spend upwards of 15 minutes at this game! Apparently she pats other children to sleep at school for naptime too

At her 12 month she was 93rd for height and 43rd for weight. And still 99th for head size... heehee.

Her hair is finally coming in. There's a big scraggly crop at the back of her head now - it's very tangly so I started using conditioner. Seems like this happened overnight, though most of her little friends have pigtails already.

Ok this is too long. Keep it coming! I love reading what all the toddlers are doing!
#15 of 26 Old 04-05-2005, 02:04 AM

Hi it's nice to see everyone, and to her how everyone's toddlers are doing.

Nikolas turned 14 months this past weekend, and just this past week began to take steps. He is now taking 3-4 steps at a time and is letting go a lot more.

He weighs 18 lbs. and is 29 in., he is on the small side, but we have seen a GI specialist and so far the GI is just watching him and is not too concerned about his weight. He has been refusing most of his solids lately probably because he is teething. He did eat a few more bites today then he did yesterday so maybe he will begin to eat more.

He has started to say Mama finally, in addition to Dada, and what's that, the rest of his words I don't know what he is saying.

He throws a ball really well, and if you're in the way he'll throw other toys too, ouch. He also dances as well as he can considering he can't stand for very long unless he is holding onto something. He loves playing with his big brother and sister, and loves to follow them around the house.
#16 of 26 Old 04-05-2005, 05:07 PM

Glad someone started this....
Fern is sick these last few days, not sure what with tho, apart from teething (after a slow start she is now getting 5 or 6 teeth at the same time, incl. a couple of molars and a canine) she is miserable with pain, whining and crying all the time (I just bought some Orajel, will use it as soon as she wakes). She's also had very high fever for the last 3 days (well mostly at night, in the day the fever goes away).
She's climbing and trying all sorts of monkey trick (like the picture in my sig )

nothing more to say I guess :
#17 of 26 Old 04-05-2005, 06:02 PM

Hi Everyone! I have a walker here... She learned how to push up to a stand from crawling the Saturday of Easter weekend and now she is off. She has been teetering on the brink of walking for several months now but was afraid to let go. Now she can stand up and go, and she does! She says Mom-Mom (not mama, but MOM MOM), dada, dog, down, baoo (balloon), ish (fish), and meow (for cat). She only signs nursie. It's fun to see the way she understands what I say- like if I say "Yeah!" or "clap, clap" she claps her hands, she knows bye-bye and waves. She also "sings" along with music in the car and cries when the songs end and the commercials start. Which means no more NPR in the car, sigh. Oh- if you tell her to "hug the baby" she will pick up her doll and rock it back and forth. She is eating alot more now but still nursing primarily. She'll eat just about anything we give her but really likes things she can nibble on like crackers. And noodles- LOVES noodles. She'll only drink out of a sippy cup if I am gone but she really likes to drink out of a big "adult" glass cup. She laps the water out like a dog She climbs- everything all the time! She has learned how to push things over to use as a stool to get onto higher things. At playgroup today, she climbed onto a chair and then onto the table and was laying flat on her stomach plaything with the "adult" things on the table. LOVES chairs... She has fallen several times. Most recently- she was have a tantrum about getting her diaper changed and smacked her forehead on the endtable. Resulting in a bruise and bump. I need to get her "real shoes" as spring seems to have finally sprung up here and her Robeez aren't cutting it for outdoor play in the wet spring grass. She HATES the tie shoes that I have- gets upset and won't walk. We still co-sleep and nurse. I tell people that we will until she is in college. That's my standard response to (A) shut the up and (B) avoid having THAT conversation which results in my climbing on a soapbox. We also put a twin bed mattress on the floor for naps and bedtime. I bring her up to bed with me when I go. She is sleeping much better now that i am watching my friends kids during the day- she plays hard & sleeps hard. Fun to read how everyone is doing!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#18 of 26 Old 04-15-2005, 01:05 PM

I
#19 of 26 Old 04-15-2005, 02:46 PM

Aidan's been eating corn for a couple of months now (he has 11 teeth), but of course MOST of it come right out the other end. :LOL

No citrus for awhile though as it makes his bum raw, plus my older DD choked on a piece of grapefruit about a year or so ago...and she was almost 11 YEARS old!
#20 of 26 Old 04-15-2005, 03:39 PM

Yeah,
#21 of 26 Old 04-15-2005, 03:55 PM

My DS turned 15 months yesterday. He's a real toddler, there were times when he looked like either, maybe when curled he up looked like a baby. But he has no baby looks left, he's a full on toddler now. He loves oranges. He has trouble with the skin, I think it's bitter to him. So we try our best to peel back the skin of each section and give him about 1/3 of a section at a time to eat. Half the time he'll chew it up get all the juice out and spit out the pulp. A friend told me to look out for red butt, and diaper rash from the oranges, but we haven't noticed any so far. He does however have trouble with portion control, and you have to give him one pioece at a time. It's like he thinks something is so good, he just keeps shoving more in his mouth before he's done chewing a swallowing. I think the feeding himself part is so much fun, he forgets all the steps and he'll look like a squirrl with a mouth full of nuts in no time.

He's had some excitement this week. Last Friday he fell off the coffee table, and landed head first on the brick fireplace hearth. Talk about a panicked mama, we went to urgent care, and by the time we got there, he was runing around playing with everyone in the waiting room. He did have an ear infection, which I didn't know about. He hadn't been pulling on his ears or fussy when you lay him down. He had been maybe a little crabby, but I thought it was because he didn't sleep well one night. Now I know the sleep trouble was from the ear infection. We got the amoxacillin(sp?) for him. Then this morning he has a RASH all over his chest, stomach and back. His Ped. is working us in and we have an appointment in 30 minutes.
#22 of 26 Old 04-17-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
We got the amoxacillin(sp?) for him. Then this morning he has a RASH all over his chest, stomach and back. His Ped. is working us in and we have an appointment in 30 minutes.
The doctor said the rash was a "side effect", but I'm thinking more an alergic reaction. It doesn't make any sense to me that this would be considered normal. More about it in this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=274357
#23 of 26 Old 04-17-2005, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The doctor said the rash was a "side effect", but I'm thinking more an alergic reaction. It doesn't make any sense to me that this would be considered normal. More about it in this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=274357
It does sound like a allergic reaction to me too. Glad its nothing more serious and hope he feels better soon. Its so hard to keep them from falling off and running into things.

Who stole my signature!
#24 of 26 Old 04-17-2005, 05:53 PM

Hi Ladies!

I have a Jan 04 girl. She was 15 months on the 15th. She is a petite gal and we call her mighty mouse.

Anyone else noticing their kiddos are becoming shyer? I know they go through phases with this stuff. I am a SAHM but she goes to the church nursery once a week and she used to be fine but now screams when I leave her. I am told she settles soon though.

Hmmm - what else...she is a running climbing fool. Loves to spend the day a top of our kitchen table. She is starting to talk well and has mastered "mommy" and "daddy" which melts our hearts. She is also really into using her signs.

She was a late teether and only has her bottom front two teeth in and even those are only about 1/2 way up. Oddly enough, she is now getting her top two molars - she doesn't even have her top two front teeth yet!

We have her 15 month check up this week to check her weight. She hasn't been on the chart weight-wise since 9 months which causes me a bit of stress but she seems perfectly healthy so I just tell her she will be greatful for this metabolism once she is 30!

Oh, and if your dc likes oranges then try grapefruit - that is one of Jorja's favorite fruits!
#25 of 26 Old 04-17-2005, 10:29 PM

Nikolas dropped off of the weight chart at 9 months also, he has seen a pediatric GI as well. The GI is not concerned at this time, but we go back next month when he is 15 months and we'll see where he is at. He is also scheduled to have surgery on the 25th. He was originally scheduled to have the surgery on the 11th, but he ended up with a fever on the 8th, so it was rescheduled. He has a congenital condition called branchial fistula. He has two small holes in his neck that are draining saliva. If he doesn't have the surgery the fistulas can become infected requiring hospitalization and IV antibiotics. Please think of us on the 25th.

Nikolas is now mostly walking. He still crawls a tiny bit, but in the past two weeks has really begun to walk a lot. Most of his words we don't understand, but he has "conversations" with everyone.

He is beginning to sleep better at night, and when he does wake he fusses for a minute and settles back down to sleep. He sleeps with us and hopefully will for awhile longer because he is our last baby.
#26 of 26 Old 04-18-2005, 12:47 PM

Our babies are growing so fast! I can't believe all the stuff they can do!

Emma is taking lots of steps, but still not quite walking. Her newest tricks are blowing kisses and playing Paper, Rock, Scissors (but can only do rock :LOL ). She loves to dance! Whenever there is any type of music, even my cell phone ringing, she gets a huge grin on her face and just goes crazy!

She nurses all day long, but most of the time it's just for a minute. We still co-sleep and I still hold her while she naps. She only wears size 3 shoes, but I have really tiny feet also. She has nine teeth and I think several more coming in.

She is not saying any words, and I'm trying hard not to be worried about it. She jabbers and jabbers all day long but none of it is actual words.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page