Weird question for mamas with a boy... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 111 Old 04-07-2005, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
An important consideration re: our childrens' safety from sexual assault is that cultural issues aside, in the US at least, in the court system the terms used for the genitals are the Latin ones. Police officers, counselors and judges are far more likely to recognize "clitoris" than "yoni". If, Gourd forbid, my child were ever molested I would want him or her to be able to describe what happened clearly and with a minimum of confusion or worries by others that s/he was being "led".
#92 of 111 Old 04-07-2005, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Frank and beans? No, just kiddin. He calls it his "coo coo" and his balls his balls, but I'm starting to call the coo coo the penis now.
#93 of 111 Old 04-07-2005, 07:39 PM

On a related note...

My parents were "proper name" people too. When my younger brother was about 2 1/2 he announced at church that "Boys have a penis - Girls have a Virginia "
#94 of 111 Old 04-07-2005, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlndocs
An important consideration re: our childrens' safety from sexual assault is that cultural issues aside, in the US at least, in the court system the terms used for the genitals are the Latin ones. Police officers, counselors and judges are far more likely to recognize "clitoris" than "yoni". If, Gourd forbid, my child were ever molested I would want him or her to be able to describe what happened clearly and with a minimum of confusion or worries by others that s/he was being "led".
That's true, but unfortunatly, doesn't insure they'll be able to describe what happened clearly. I was molested and knew all the correct terms at that age (around 8). But when my mom reported it to the police and I had to tell my story...I had to tell that story to a room full of men. There were police officers, counselors, and lawyers there...all men. So I had a very difficult time explaining what happened even though I knew the terms. They ended up convicting the guy of "attempted sexual assault on a minor" because I wasn't able to give them enough detail about what happened to convict him of more than "attempted." It wasn't because I didn't know the right words...it was because they expected a little girl to describe all that to a room full of people, men no less. And I was certainly not taught to feel comfortable about my female parts. That is why I say that how the child feels about themselves and their bodies is most important. Yes, teach them the medical terms...they should know that anyways because that is common knowledge that everyone should know. But I am just saying that whatever words you use...it's the way you use them that counts.
#95 of 111 Old 04-07-2005, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
One thing about (most) Mothering participants- we think things out and don't make decisions lightly!
I didn't mean to imply that some of them don't. I just mean that I assume that people in general wouldn't give it much thought. Not because they don't care about those issues, but because they may not have played as much a role in their lives as they have in mine.
#96 of 111 Old 04-07-2005, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl
I didn't mean to imply that some of them don't. I just mean that I assume that people in general wouldn't give it much thought. Not because they don't care about those issues, but because they may not have played as much a role in their lives as they have in mine.

It wasn't an insult, it was an observation.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#97 of 111 Old 05-07-2005, 03:46 PM

We taught our little guy to call it his bird, when DH grew up he called it his bird. He knows the correct name and we refer to parts of his "bird" with correct names like foreskin and glands, etc.
#98 of 111 Old 05-07-2005, 10:41 PM

what's that place called where the "tee tee" comes out?

He said "tee tee hole"

Kids are funny. We normally call it a penis or pee pee.
#99 of 111 Old 05-08-2005, 02:58 PM

we refer to their penus's as 'willy's' in our house, it is a pretty common term for them in the uk.

as for girls parts, when my son was around 2 he suddenly out of the blue referred to my vagina as my tickle - not that we really refer to my parts as anything at all to my son as they are not something we spend a lot of time discussing, it was just funny that he told me one day that he had a willy and i had a tickle.
#100 of 111 Old 05-08-2005, 03:26 PM

My DS is only 3 months old, but I tend to refer to his specifically male parts as penis and balls (wooo with the inconsistency!). Our family is bilingual, however, and I'm wondering about that because it may be changed to the Turkish word later... : I'm not really sure. We'll probably end-up using both.

One thing I ran across with DH was he sometimes uses words which are swear words without realizing it (because English is his 3rd language). For instance he'll use ass where most people use butt or bum, in front of my Grandmother :LOL . We're working on that...(My DH would be horrified that I talk about this online but...) A funny sidestory to that is DH really likes to have his bum cheeks scratched (like after I give him a massage), and he'll say "Honey, could you scratch my ass?" : I always giggle at that...makes it sound like he needs me to get at an itch for him...

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#101 of 111 Old 05-08-2005, 10:41 PM

we say penie
#102 of 111 Old 05-08-2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl
That's true, but unfortunatly, doesn't insure they'll be able to describe what happened clearly. I was molested and knew all the correct terms at that age (around 8). But when my mom reported it to the police and I had to tell my story...I had to tell that story to a room full of men. There were police officers, counselors, and lawyers there...all men. So I had a very difficult time explaining what happened even though I knew the terms. They ended up convicting the guy of "attempted sexual assault on a minor" because I wasn't able to give them enough detail about what happened to convict him of more than "attempted." It wasn't because I didn't know the right words...it was because they expected a little girl to describe all that to a room full of people, men no less. And I was certainly not taught to feel comfortable about my female parts. That is why I say that how the child feels about themselves and their bodies is most important. Yes, teach them the medical terms...they should know that anyways because that is common knowledge that everyone should know. But I am just saying that whatever words you use...it's the way you use them that counts.
As another sexual abuse survivor, I agree with what you've said.
In my case, I was 5-6 and I did not say a word to him. It seems to be alot of responsibility to place on a child to say "Don't touch my penis/vagina" because I think most kids in abuse situations too scared to say anything. Just a humble opinion from someone who's been there.
#103 of 111 Old 05-09-2005, 12:08 AM

I was saying penis, but dh said I should say peter. I think I'm going to stick with penis though, I'll call it what it is, not make it a dirty word.

35 yo mom to ds1 (8), ds2 (6), dd (3), and oops big surprise #4 edd 12/19/11

#104 of 111 Old 05-09-2005, 03:49 PM

My son calls his penis peepee, that's fine with me. Around him we use the word penis so he knows that too.
The other day we were sitting at the foot of a big tree and there were a couple of knotty roots sticking out, he identitfied one smaller sticking out root as a peepee and a larger one a big peepee. So in his mind trees have peepees too!
#105 of 111 Old 05-09-2005, 03:54 PM

I agree with most of the others. We call our body parts by what they are so that there is no confusion or negative conotations.
#106 of 111 Old 05-09-2005, 10:30 PM

When ds was a baby/toddler we used penis... now that he is 6 I'm not even going to get into the many varied words he uses. Let me sumarize by saying that once we were at a giant teaching supplies store on a very crowded Saturday when ds found his way to the giant map rug. Standing on Florida he shouted at the top of his (then) 5 year old lungs: Look mom! I'm standing on America's WANG!"

For dd I use vulva and we have not yet had occasion to discuss her vagina.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#107 of 111 Old 05-10-2005, 06:10 PM

So, does everyone use the correct medical terms for urine, feces, buttocks (not even sure if that's correct), saliva, nasal mucous, sputum, and the like? And do you say urinate and defecate? Just curious as to how far this correct terminologiy thing is supposed to go. We use vulva for my genitals and penis and scrotum for ds's and dh's parts, but butthole for anus most of the time...

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#108 of 111 Old 05-10-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion
Penis, scrotum, and testicles. Though he often uses balls and nut sac. (Thanks daddy! )'

same here
#109 of 111 Old 05-10-2005, 11:44 PM

Penis. Although sometimes ds will call it his peenie (is that spelled right?)

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#110 of 111 Old 05-12-2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
So, does everyone use the correct medical terms for urine, feces, buttocks (not even sure if that's correct), saliva, nasal mucous, sputum, and the like? And do you say urinate and defecate? Just curious as to how far this correct terminologiy thing is supposed to go. We use vulva for my genitals and penis and scrotum for ds's and dh's parts, but butthole for anus most of the time...
Sometimes, but not usually-- just "pee" and "poop." I used to tell my teachers that I needed to urinate, but they'd look at me cross-eyed, so I started saying that I had to pee instead. It's been pee ever since, unless I'm talking to a doctor or someone who needs to know, for whatever reason, what I actually mean.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#111 of 111 Old 05-12-2005, 07:22 PM

We say penis, scrotum and testicles. DS says penis, scrotum, and tentacles :LOL

, mama to DS(7/)22/02) DS (8/14/04) , and an angel (3/10/10)nursing a broken heart...loving my boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page