Weird question for mamas with a boy... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry if this is weird...What do you call DS's male parts? DH and i have been discussing this and we can't figure out what to call them! :LOL It always drove me crazy that my mom had my brother calling it his "pee pee" or "weiner." I hate it when people use words like that. And "penis" just sounds so medical I guess. We already figured that if we had a girl we'd say "yoni" because that's not medical or gross and doesn't have an negative connotations for us, instead it has good connotations for us. Also...if she talked about it around others most wouldn't know what she was talking about. :LOL But we just haven't figured out what we'd say and teach to a boy...nothing feels right and comfortable to us. I guess "lingam" is the male equivalent to "yoni." Anyone use that word?
#2 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 08:25 PM

I say penis and scrotum and it doesn't feel weird to me. What does feel weird to say is the word genitals. I think that's because it was the word I was told to use when I was a child and there was some weirdness surrounding it.
My son decided that it was a peepee anyway. Close enough to penis, I guess. When I asked him why it was a peepee, he said that it was where the pee comes out. My daughter calls her vulva/vagina a peepee too. Same reason.
#3 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 08:28 PM

twig and berries! also, his package
#4 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 08:28 PM

Penis for us. I call an arm, an arm; a nose, a nose; and a penis, a penis.
#5 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Penis and scrotum. Anything else sounds silly to me. We recently graduated from "messy hole" to rectum. He calls defecating "making messies."

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#6 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 08:44 PM

Penis, scrotum, and testicles. Though he often uses balls and nut sac. (Thanks daddy! )'

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#7 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 09:01 PM

DH is a physician, and while I was pregnant we swore we'd use the correct terms for all body parts (as in a PP -- an arm is an arm, a penis is a penis). However, our son has other ideas and refers to his penis as his "peepee." Since it's his body, we decided to play along rather than make it an issue. We still use the correct terminology interchangably with his language, and he understands both.

Daughter since '68 ~Sister since '72 ~Wife since '97 ~ Mama since DS 5/03& DD 10/08
#8 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 09:04 PM

Penis. That is what it is. He knows the correct name for male and female genitals. He uses the name with no problem.

We also call his scrotum his scrotum and his testicles his testicles. No mincing words here

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#9 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 09:08 PM

Children who do not have baby names and code words for their genitals are less likely to be abused. I think it's important to not be afraid to just say what it is. I think coding it and whispering it is kind of shaming that part of their body, kwim? Of course, like the PP though, younger kids can't articulate as well. My 19 month old can say "penis" and that's what I refer to it as when talking to him but he also says "peepee." As long as they know the name and don't feel like there's shame in saying it (or in having one for that matter) then I think all is well. Of course this is just MHO.

4 yo dd calls her vagina "my vagina" or "my crotchy." 6 yo ds calls his penis a penis and, while we really hardly ever have a reason to talk about testicles, he says "balls" or "testicles."

Atomicmama, "twig 'n berries" : Makes me thing of Austin Powers. Yes, I'm a fan. :LOL
#10 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 09:19 PM

OK, so I have a DD instead of a DS - here's my 2 cents worth anyhoo!

I like the poetry of the words lingam and yoni but I have a background in art history, so they make a lot of sense to me.

But I wouldn't use them for my kids. I go along with abac's post - a nose is a nose, a penis is a penis. I think it's better for children to have words which can be identified easily and are not editorialized. So we use the scientific words for most things - vagina, penis and anus. (Though we do say pee and poop rather than urinate and deficate - it's just easier and seems to be pretty universal.)

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#11 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 09:21 PM

ummmmmmmm we call it The penis and/or the testicles....
#12 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 09:30 PM

I guess I should clarify that ds is only 16 mos. and when he's around 2, we'll use correct terms.
#13 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicmama
I guess I should clarify that ds is only 16 mos. and when he's around 2, we'll use correct terms.
why call it a "silly" name before he's 2? The names are all the same to him! My son has always known it as his penis. Etc.?
#14 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 09:41 PM

Wouldn't it be confusing if you started calling it the "pee pee" and then changed it to "penis" when he was two? We have used the word penis from day 1, but I don't talk baby talk to my kid for any other words either...kwim? If you called his nose his "smelling place" from when he was born and then changed it to "nose" when he was two, what would be the point? I guess I just don't see the point in complicating the issue.

We use the word penis as we do the word arm, leg, and bellybutton. (although, perhaps in the vein of this thread, the belly button should be the "NAVEL" :LOL )
#15 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 PM

Twig & Berries is HYSTERICAL!!!!!

Plain old Penis at our house too.
#16 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 09:44 PM

We use penis.

While we use "yoni" with DD that is because we use it to refer to the entire region (I don't like referring to her vagina when it is really her vulva, clitoris, ... another different body part). So "yoni" basically means private parts and if we are referring to a specific part, we use that name.

Boys just seem more obvious "down there" so we can easily use penis and scrotum.

#17 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 09:48 PM

DS says penis....he's only 20 months and has been able to say it for at least 5 months. In January he had a catheter done, and for weeks would 'remember' saying "pain, penis"....poor guy. Along the same lines others, we use 'real names'

Trying to live life to the fullest.....with DH,  2 fun kids, and a wild dog. 

#18 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 09:49 PM

We call them his penis and balls, although the other day my ds got quite intrigued/confused and said 'Toe?'
#19 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 10:37 PM

We say penis, DS has been saying it since about 12 months or so. I to am of the call it what it is, from the beginning.
#20 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveharps
We call them his penis and balls, although the other day my ds got quite intrigued/confused and said 'Toe?'
:LOL

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#21 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 10:52 PM

we say "penis", "testicles", and "poop-hole" -- because i believe in naming things right but i don't want him laughing at the planet Uranus... yet.
#22 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 11:04 PM

Oh you all have MADE MY DAY!!!!!!!!!!

I have always believed using correct anatomical terms. 9 years ago you wouldn't BELIEVE the looks I got when my 2 yo refered to his penis and scrotum!!!

They pick up the slang on their own TRUST ME!!!!

And, although I do not generally favor slang, I like the term "yoni" for all the female parts in the crotch region. It is rather a unique word, yoni, I have never heard used in any other manner.

Any other thoughts on that?
#23 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 11:16 PM

We call his penis a penis here, too. The question of what to call his testicles came up recently when he asked me what they were - I guess I had never had reason to talk about them before. I said they're his testicles, but some people call them balls, and he could call them whichever name he preferred. He decided he likes balls. In fact, a few weeks ago at playgroup he informed my friend that he had "a rash on his balls." :LOL My friend said that kind of comment won't get him any dates in high school.
#24 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 11:18 PM

I like yoni and lingham. However, I teach my ds that his penis is "pilinchi" which means "penis" in Papiamento (our native language). Ds knows what pilinchi is and will point and pull at it as soon as I say it or ask him "where is your..?". I treat it as any other body part.

Dh (American) has a harder time telling him "penis" so he calls it things like "magic stick" and whatnot. He doesn't call his own penis "penis" anyway, he says :LOL

I do like lingham, though. Maybe dh will pick up on that. I LOVE the name yoni. To me it sounds like something sacred and feminine.. hm.. like a vagina!

Cheers,
#25 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 11:23 PM

: OH OH OH!!!!

I forgot my VERY FAVORITE QUOTE from toddlerhood!!!!!!1

"Why do I have marbles in my scrotum?"
: :
#26 of 111 Old 04-04-2005, 11:53 PM

We're penis people.
#27 of 111 Old 04-05-2005, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveharps
:LOL

Thanks guys! What someone said about children who know the correct terms being less likely to be abused makes me think about this a little differently. That is something I'm very concerned about. I was thinking I wouldn't use "penis" but now I see why it is important, so thank you for informing me about that. I'm thinking that maybe saying lingam for the whole area and then the medical terms for the individual parts might be good. And for a girl saying yoni for the whole area and then the medical terms for each part. I am Hindu, so the words lingam and yoni have very positive connotations for me. I don't want my children to feel ashamed, I want them to feel sacred and empowered. I'm hoping that using those words will help me convey that to them.
#28 of 111 Old 04-05-2005, 12:07 AM

PENIS IS A PENIS... all my DC have been taught what each part is. No code words here.. well that is a lie, I personaly call girl parts 'cookie'.. but DD 2.5 knows it is a vagina. Our DC know the proper words but do choose to use other words.. ie; balls NOT FROM ME!!!
#29 of 111 Old 04-05-2005, 03:12 AM

Twig and berries! :

BeanBean has a penis, scrotum, testicles and an anus. Just this morning we were singing "Everybody has a Body" (to the tune of "Everybody Wants to be a Cat" from "The Aristocats") and taking turns adding body parts; all inspired by BeanBean's realization this morning that if everybody has a butt, then everybody must also have an anus.

Thus far, BooBah has a vulva and an anus because that's all that BeanBean ever sees. He was very concerned when she was catherized last week, and asked the PA if she was fixing BooBah's vulva. The PA thought that was adorable. :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#30 of 111 Old 04-05-2005, 03:31 AM

we say penis and testicles. dd has a vulva, which she calls her "bee-bah" because at 21 months, that's as close as she can get. but dang it's tempting for me to call it a bee-bah too, because it's so damn cute. even ds has started saying bee-bah. i think this is how the silly cutsey word for body parts get started.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page