Baths: Nightly or no? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Toddlers and Baths: How frequently?
We do the bath pretty much every night. 51 34.46%
We do the bath every other night or so. 26 17.57%
It varies -- we do it as necessary. 68 45.95%
Rarely -- we just go swimming a lot. 3 2.03%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 11-14-2002, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son HATES the bathtub... well actually he only hates it if it's filled w/ water and he has to get in...
so instead of making him scream in terror, I give him a soapy wipe down and wash his hair (out of the tub) about once a week. I do wipe his diaper are w/ warm water and washcloth a few x a day. I wash his hands and face a few x a day as well...
it's funny, he loves swimming, and is practically fearless about getting in a pool, lake, ocean, etc... but acts terrified of the bath! He used to take baths w/ me when he was an infant and seemed to love it, then one day around 7 or 8 months he became very opposed to the tub... won't do showers either.
I'm hoping he'll begin to be less afraid soon. I can't sponge bath him forever.
#32 of 45 Old 11-15-2002, 08:23 PM

I give my 19 month old a bath every night as a routeine and it helps mellow her out to goto bed but also it heps her relax and she loves playing in the water.
#33 of 45 Old 11-16-2002, 06:32 PM

I generally let my kids decide whether or not they want a bath (and only insist if they have food caked in their hair, etc, that needs to be seen to). So...they tend to have baths most nights, as they like them, although we can also easily go several days without...

But when they are in the 'bath every night' mode, we often don't use soap/don't wash hair.

For those of you who don't bath your kids very often - here is vindication! I read a study several years ago (sorry - don't have a link) which found more allergies/eczema/asthma in kids who had very frequent baths (i.e., more than one a day). Kids who bathed only every several days had a lower incidence of these problems.

Something to do (the study speculated) with exposure to germs being good for kids...stimulates their immune system by giving it something to fight. In the absence of those germs, the immune system CAN turn on itself (as in allergies, etc., etc.).

Which is why I ALWAYS let my kids eat the food they've just dropped on the floor!
#34 of 45 Old 11-16-2002, 10:43 PM

Carolyn we go pretty much the same route as you guys do, and i totally beleive that about the allergies and so forth, but do you know if they tested the kids based on what kind of bathing producks they were useing?

i know it makes a whole lotta difference in those things when we use chemical saturated soaps, and frequent use of such things can bring about an allergic reaction much in the same way adult diebites can be developed by a bad diet for prolonged periods.

heres to our clean kids
#35 of 45 Old 11-16-2002, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by fionnsmom
but do you know if they tested the kids based on what kind of bathing producks they were useing?

i know it makes a whole lotta difference in those things when we use chemical saturated soaps, and frequent use of such things can bring about an allergic reaction much in the same way adult diebites can be developed by a bad diet for prolonged periods.

I couldn't agree more, we use all natural products for bathing for other reasons, this just gives me one more! On the occasion that DH uses baby shampoo, I swear I can smell the chemicals in her hair after. I used to think it was clean smelling but now that we use natural products it doesn't anymore.
#36 of 45 Old 11-17-2002, 11:55 AM

No - I don't remember much about the study, other than thinking it was interesting (and nice to not have to feel guilty when we skipped baths!).

I'm sure a lot of allergies surface with the use of certain soaps (I'm very careful with my girls, as I react to almost any kind of perfume/etc. in soaps, shampoos, etc). I've looked into switching to all natural products, but can't seem to find any here in the UK. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places? :

It does make sense to me as well that a bit of dirt is probably a pretty healthy thing for our kids - after all, they love it so much!

And heck...believing that makes me feel better when dd1 is on an anti-bath kick and hasn't had one in 3-4 days...
#37 of 45 Old 11-17-2002, 12:25 PM

My boys are walking snot balls.

During allergy season, we end up doing baths everynight. If my kids have been outside, and they go to bed without a bath, then they rub the pollen, mold, or whatever is in their hair onto their pillows and then their faces get in it, and they wake up wheezing and coughing, etc. Nightly hairwashing makes all the difference.

My older son though, has started wanting showers every morning too -- sometimes the hot water helps clear his head out. And he also still pees in his sleep every night (don't tell him I gave him up though,) so I guess a shower helps him feel fresher. It does seem excessive for him to be bathing 2x a day though!

I do put limits on soap use. I do their hair often with a dot of shampoo, but only scrub their bodies with soap about 3x a week. I can't use any shampoo in their hair that has frangrances, especially the extract from flowers kind of fragrances. If I use Herbal Essences even on *my* hair, and sleep with the little guy -- he has an asthma attack!
#38 of 45 Old 11-18-2002, 01:13 AM

I definately don't give nightly baths unless its warrented. If it fits into our schedule to get ds into bed before 8, then yes but if its gonna throw off his bedtime no way! He will take longer to get to sleep if we miss that all to important 7 to 7:30 window. If he is that dirty I will get him after breakfast in the morning. Plus we live in Colorado and nightly baths even with lotion and no soap are not recommended for dryness reasons. " A little dirt dont Hurt" couldn't tell you who that quote is from but it has a ring of truth for us!
#39 of 45 Old 11-19-2002, 07:50 PM

DD would prefer to bathe about three times a day, but the dry Utah climate won't permit it - too much bathing makes for dry irritated skin.
#40 of 45 Old 11-21-2002, 12:44 AM

Every night bath seems a bit excessive to me. I voted that it varies. If we go out to playgroup he has a bath in the morning, we go to one each wednesday and a different one thursday fortnightly.

Since it's summer here he runs around barenaked unless we go out then it's just a pair of training pants on him. He's 15 and a bit mths old.

He has a bath every second night, and has his hair washed the days we go out. depending on his morning baths.
#41 of 45 Old 11-21-2002, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ds showers with either me or dh every morning. He hates to be left outside the shower when we're inside It's more fun time than anything.

We ditched the nighttime baths (we were trying for a "bedtime routine" that never really took off) because it didn't soothe him--it energized him. Not a big help in nestling down to sleep
#42 of 45 Old 11-22-2002, 12:42 PM

My 8 yr old hates baths. My 10 yr old tolerates them for washing, but loves them for playing. My 3 yr old plays everyday at some point in the tub, but doesn't get a complete soap washing each time. I find a bath at about 4 pm refreshes my 3 yr old and helps her get through dinner and early evening without a and crankiness. She is ready for a nursing and falls aleeps in after just 'one side' at around 7. I think a bath can be an emotional renewal for her. I rarely think of baths as a way of keeping clean. lol My 13 yr old likes to shower almost every morning.
#43 of 45 Old 11-30-2002, 07:17 PM

we do a bath every day because dd insists upon it!!! if dh and i are taking too long to finish dinner (since dd is always done before we are), she gets impatient and starts pulling at dh's sleeve and pointing down the hall to the bathroom.... she LOVES baths, and would probably spend a couple of hours in the tub if it didn't get cold...
#44 of 45 Old 12-02-2002, 12:32 PM

We do a bath every night as part of our bedtime routine. It helps wind ds down a little, and he has a little routine with dh for toweling off and putting on pj's.

I don't wash his hair every night, and don't always soap him up, either. It depends on the day and how messy he gets, but ds loves to swish his hands throught the water.

Teaching wife & mama knit.gif  to my not so little ones - DS (10) drum.gif and DD (8) dust.gif

#45 of 45 Old 12-02-2002, 08:44 PM

Wow, the idea of bathing a child daily is pretty crazy to me. We feel proud when we manage to bathe DD once or twice a week, usually only once. She gets hands, face, feet, and bottom cleaned daily. I guess it helps that she has very little hair, even at 22 months, so it doesn't get too dirty and food can be easily wiped out.

I'm interested to read about the allergy stuff, because I have allergies to just about everything. We use pretty non-allergenic products for her bath, but I wonder if my instinct is helping to preserve DD from having such bad allergies by not feeling I need to bathe her every day. That sounds far better than just being too lazy, huh?

Carol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page