do you let your toddler watch television? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 154 Old 04-24-2005, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your two-year-old has unlimited access to the television? How much does she watch in a day?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#122 of 154 Old 04-24-2005, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Your two-year-old has unlimited access to the television? How much does she watch in a day?
I assuming you are asking me this and if I am wrong, I apologize. Sofia is in daycare 5 days a week. I work full time. I dont think she watches much tv at her babysitters house. I would say she watches maybe 2 hours a day on weekends. She would rather be outside, so that is why I am glad it is getting nicer out. I try and play with her here but its so hard because I am in an apartment and dont have a lot of room. She has got a zillion toys and she gets bored with them so easiley.
#123 of 154 Old 04-24-2005, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got it- thanks.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#124 of 154 Old 04-24-2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Got it- thanks.
If you have any suggestions on how I could entertain her so she isnt bored, I would love to hear them! I am always open to that.
#125 of 154 Old 04-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Banned

I am one of those all things in moderation people, hoping we cut back on the tv even more this summer when it's nice, but this past week when my poor DS was hospitalized on iv fluids, that tv in the room was a Godsend...of course i read to him, and cuddled him, etc. but there were times when seeing something like Dragon Tales made him so happy...this poor child was flat on his back for 3 days, no energy to even try to climb out of his hospital bed. He couldn't play, he couldn't even sit up to do a puzzle until Sat. I loved it when he smiled and it was very hard to get him to do so. So I have to say, I was glad there was a tv there!

I agree with all the comments about how inappropriate some tv can be. Even commericials during the day! It's crazy. I screen carefully (no pun intended!)
#126 of 154 Old 04-25-2005, 09:57 PM

In our family we consider a little T.V. okay. We will watch shows with our dd and as long as there are NO commercials. I don't feel that the content of some educational shows is a problem, its the commercials that cause significant brainwashing to occur. We watch treehouse tv which does not show commercials. I know that the fews minutes when she is feeling tired o rcranky and catching a bit of t.v. while I fix a quick meal has not been damaging in anyway. It is about moderation and not letting a t.v. become a replacement for parental interaction. She still prefers books and trips to the library anyday
#127 of 154 Old 04-25-2005, 11:22 PM

We don't have tv. I have a small set which is covered by a cloth in the living room in case I can ever stay awake long enough to watch a movie after dd is asleep, but that rarely happens. I believe tv is addictive and harmful, and I believe that mostly because I know how I react when I have it... I watch a little, then more, then I'm spending hours in front of it without knowing where the time went.

I'm a single mom and my only child care person is a big tv addict, and has started to watch tv with my dd. They've watched Dora and Lassie, and I think some other cartoons. I think she doesn't tell me everything they watch because she knows I don't approve of it. (She would also be giving my 18 month old sugar all day if I wasn't adamant about it.)

I've been having lots of anxiety lately about what to do about this problem. I don't have any other child care options at this point, and this person is a friend, and takes care of dd for free, and they really love each other. So it's a pretty nice situation except that my friend does NOT support my parenting choices and makes me feel like a nut and a fanatic about them. Rather than cause friction I've been keeping my mouth shut, but I'm not comfortable with what happens when dd is there, so I'm going to have to do something soon. Argh!
#128 of 154 Old 04-25-2005, 11:40 PM

Quote:

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but my 2 year old mostly has unlimited access to tv, although I turn it off on occassion after a program is over. If he fusses when I turn it off (which is very rare) I usually say something like "oh I thought you were done, do you really want to watch this?"

He watches around 3-4 hours of tv a week (not including 1 baseball game on Friday nights and Nature a couple times a month)

He self-regulates fairly well.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#129 of 154 Old 04-26-2005, 12:34 PM

Hi all,

We don't have a television in the house so none of us actually watch any tv at all. We haven't had a tv for many years, probably over 10 yrs so we don't really miss it.

Our daughter (18 month old) enjoys spending time with us and we read lots of books to her, sing and dance with her. Both my husband and I play musical instruments (we are NOT professional musicians) so on some nights, we give her a little concerts.

When my spouse and I are in the kitchen preparing meals or cleaning up, she either plays with her toys or she "helps' us. We don't think that it is necessary to have a tv to use as a distraction because there are planty of things around the house that attracts a toddler!

As for keeping up with the news, well, we read the news on the internet and the newspaper.

Don't get me wrong, we are not anti-television or anything. We made the decision to be a television-free house and we are happy with our decision. (It probably helps that my husband is not really a sports fan either!)

Just my 2 cents,

hy
#130 of 154 Old 04-26-2005, 11:10 PM

subscribing
#131 of 154 Old 04-27-2005, 01:01 AM

[HTML]She has got a zillion toys and she gets bored with them so easiley.[/HTML]

Sofia's mom: One suggestion I would like to share is you could go through ALL her toys and organize:

donate ones she is not interested in and put some away so you can rotate them so she doesnt get bored and most of all she could be Overstimulated by all of them. Hope that helps.
Michele
#132 of 154 Old 04-27-2005, 03:38 PM

My daughter doesn't watch tv unless i need a break or me and her daddy need some much needed "alone" time. And then she only watches what I say she can depending on how much time I need. Usually some type of educational show like Sesame Street. But she is really into the Secret of Nimh which was one of my favs growing up and Rainbow Brite (which also makes me smile) Sometimes she'll go days without watching anything, especially since it's getting warmer and she plays outside all day. But when she's sick or I'm sick I usually break the rules and have a snuggle day on the couch with her.
#133 of 154 Old 04-27-2005, 07:47 PM

Our kids don't watch any TV. When DD was really little I watched Sesame Street with her a couple of times - but I thought it was lame, and she was completely bored by it after about 5 minutes, so that was that. We do have a TV stashed away in case of "emergency" (whatever that might be! I think we're just too lazy to get rid of it) - but we haven't turned it on in over 2 years. I can't imagine ever wanting to watch TV with the kids - there are a million more fun and interesting things we could be doing instead.
#134 of 154 Old 04-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Banned

My dd's grandparents gave her a tv a little while back and I let her watch 15 to 30 minutes a week of either Thomas or Elmo DVD. Her mood gets really negative if she watches anymore than that. If she is being watched by her other set of grandparents she may watch a little more with them. I have tried letting her watch some other DVDs, but she is used to books and doesn't understand the concept of the people moving around and her not being able to see her favorite characters the whole time. She has huge melt downs because of this so I don't let her watch anything else.
#135 of 154 Old 04-29-2005, 05:36 PM

My son, about 2.5 years old, watches between 20 minutes to an hour of a video or television most days. DH is gone 12 hours a day, M-F, and I have no backup childcare or anything like that -- it's basically all me, all the time. Added to this, DS only sleeps about 9-10 hours at night, usually waking at least twice to nurse, and takes about a half hour nap. I *need* some time, yk?

Sure, it's a rationalization, but I do think a half-hour of screen times is likely to be less damaging for him than a frazzled, short-tempered mommy.
#136 of 154 Old 04-29-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylith
My son, about 2.5 years old, watches between 20 minutes to an hour of a video or television most days. DH is gone 12 hours a day, M-F, and I have no backup childcare or anything like that -- it's basically all me, all the time. Added to this, DS only sleeps about 9-10 hours at night, usually waking at least twice to nurse, and takes about a half hour nap. I *need* some time, yk?

Sure, it's a rationalization, but I do think a half-hour of screen times is likely to be less damaging for him than a frazzled, short-tempered mommy.
:
#137 of 154 Old 04-29-2005, 09:11 PM

Nope. The most TV DD (now 17 months) watches is if she catches a bit of DH's dirtbike racing while he irons (without sound, thanks to his handy-dandy earphone headset that DD knows is "Daddy's").

I truly believe that no TV is better for DD's development - mind, imagination, soul, whatever. Thus far we've been able to manage without it and I hope that it continues.

Kristen
#138 of 154 Old 05-01-2005, 12:26 AM

I am one of those freaks who thinks her child is better off without TV. My 2 yr old is the only one I know IRL who doesn't watch. He has seen some TV in his little lifetime but it probably adds up to about 60 seconds a week. I was given some videos that I kept "just in case" but I have promised them to a friend because I realized the day I will "need" them will never come. Some days I don't get a shower. Some days we have yogurt for dinner because cooking just isn't an option. I can live with that. What I can't live with is using something I believe to have very real and negative effects as a babysitter.

I worked with young children for years before I became a mother. All of them were TV watchers. Some of them experienced small amounts of age appropriate TV with very minor ill effects. Others experienced small amounts of age appropriate TV with pretty major ill effects. Their watching patterns all started out pretty much the same but for some kids watching TV, videos or DVDs gradually became problematic. I don't know how my son will handle TV viewing. I am not about to find out the hard way.

We all must make decisions about what is best for our children in our individual circumstances. We won't know the effects of many of those decisions for many years to come. Am I "denying" my child needlessly? Maybe. That is the decision I have made. It is a decision I can live with.
#139 of 154 Old 05-01-2005, 05:59 PM

Ours have watched but right now we are doing our best to eliminate as much watching as possible. Which means no children's tv shows at all and as few adult shows as I can negotiate with dh.
#140 of 154 Old 05-01-2005, 11:24 PM

We don't own a tv so dd sees no television.

I have never owned a tv in my adult life!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#141 of 154 Old 05-04-2005, 02:50 AM

My dd loves to watch movies. She likes to pick from a variety of sesame street,Barney, Wiggles...SHREK and has recently asked for her Baby Einstein again(now watching with a million "What's That?"s) She can watch Shrek from start to finish. She also loves books (and often 'reads' while watching) Normally it's in the morning while I get it together or with daddy at night.We are always running to the zoo,park.mommy and me yoga etc,so it's not all day or even every day.I only watch tv after she's asleep. She's 25 months and was attracted to the screen very young. I spent alot of time bf'ing in front of the tube.I still spend alot of time bf'ing BTW. Am I a bad mom? Is this going to haunt me later?
#142 of 154 Old 05-04-2005, 04:27 AM

We canceled our subscription to (what was it Cable or Dish? don't even remember now) about a year ago, just cuz there was nothing good on! and we did not have time to watch it. and we had to watch our finances.

Anyway, DD never really saw any broadcast TV, for even when we had subscription we would watch it at night when she was asleep.

Now, just cartoons on DVD or tape, but - she does not care for them!!! Sometimes I would LOVE a cartoon to "babysit" for me :LOL while I do something around the house

No-o-o, her highness would choose to play "party" or "hide-and-seek" or "teacher" over cartoon any time :LOL
#143 of 154 Old 05-04-2005, 09:49 AM

Ds watches TV. Mostly its PBS and dvds. He actually likes some of the PBS learning shows better than the cartoons I let him watch on PBS! We have "no TV" days 3 days a week, always. Sometimes I'll throw in an extra day when I feel like it. This works for us.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#144 of 154 Old 05-04-2005, 10:36 AM

I haven't read all the threads but just wanted to post a different reason...

I was very strict about tv with my first 2 children...it was incredibly limited...a movie on their birthday or maybe if they were sick...that was it.

My second daughter has now been diagnosed with a reading disability...and because she wasn't able to get a lot of knowledge out of books, television would have been very helpful to her. Not fluff tv but educational television. Now there are a lot of concepts/information she does not get/have because her exposure to those things was so limited.

So now she watches oodles of tv...she particularly likes Discovery channel...she has always had a great interest in animals so we do a lot of that. We also rent animal movies and such...they still get some "fun" movies but I am still strict on that.

Anyway, now with my new daughter(22mos) I allow limited television...The Big Comfy Couch, Sesame Street, a couple cartoons that I find acceptable and occasionally Barney. (she doesn't watch all these every day btw, just maybe one or two)

So I guess what I am trying to say is that it's not necessarily a bad thing and can be a great tool...it just shouldn't probably be the only tool and should be closely moderated by the parent.
#145 of 154 Old 05-04-2005, 12:39 PM

We have it on sometimes. He loves the Wiggles and Rolie Polie Olie and JoJo's Circus but doesn't pay attention to any of the other shows if I leave it on for background noise. We live in a crappy neighborhood at the moment with people who blast their pretty inappropriate and explicit rap music and I'd rather he hear whatever's on Disney Channel than that crap. But most of the time we're in his bedroom reading or playing cars or something. He likes to dance to the Wiggles, they're definitely his favorite. It's useful when I'm trying to get housecleaning done. Otherwise he wants to "help" and that makes it impossible to do anything. lol
#146 of 154 Old 05-04-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira's mom
My dd loves to watch movies. She likes to pick from a variety of sesame street,Barney, Wiggles...SHREK and has recently asked for her Baby Einstein again(now watching with a million "What's That?"s) She can watch Shrek from start to finish. She also loves books (and often 'reads' while watching) Normally it's in the morning while I get it together or with daddy at night.We are always running to the zoo,park.mommy and me yoga etc,so it's not all day or even every day.I only watch tv after she's asleep. She's 25 months and was attracted to the screen very young. I spent alot of time bf'ing in front of the tube.I still spend alot of time bf'ing BTW. Am I a bad mom? Is this going to haunt me later?

I don't think you're a bad mom at all. It sounds like it's all in moderation. My son also loves Shrek and Shrek 2 (he asks for donkey) and Finding Nemo. He generally just gets to watch them in the car for long trips (like the 6 hour drive to see family) because it keeps him entertained and allows us to get there faster if we don't have to stop to calm his screaming every hour or so when he gets bored. I don't think that makes us bad parents. *shrug*

I also did a lot of BFing in front of the tv, or in front of my computer. What else do you do while breastfeeding a newborn? It kept me from getting too stir crazy during growth spurts (which we had a lot of because DS was a preemie). Aidan's doing just fine though. He loves to read more than anything or play with his cars or blocks or play doh or stickers. He's just started getting into the Baby Einstein stuff (he loves Baby Beethoven and names everything he sees and dances and such) and he loves the Wiggles. But we also sit and talk about them while he watches or we dance and sing together so it's helped build his vocabulary and motor skills. TV isn't the devil when used appropriately, imo.
#147 of 154 Old 05-04-2005, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillene
I also did a lot of BFing in front of the tv, or in front of my computer. What else do you do while breastfeeding a newborn?
Isn't that the truth? I'm just about as anti-TV as they come but thank god we had cable right after DS was born. I could not master nursing him lying down for weeks. And I was so exhausted from round-the-clock feedings that I'm sure I would have dropped the poor child numerous times if I hadn't had Crank Yankers and Punk'd to keep me (barely) awake as DS fed.
#148 of 154 Old 05-04-2005, 02:09 PM

I don't even remember what I watched now. I think I watched The View a lot and I know I watched Ellen in the afternoons. Hmmm. It was mostly mindless blather to give me something to think about other than how long I'd been sitting there and what else needed doing (like dishes, laundry, sweeping, etc).
#149 of 154 Old 05-04-2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday
And I was so exhausted from round-the-clock feedings that I'm sure I would have dropped the poor child numerous times if I hadn't had Crank Yankers and Punk'd to keep me (barely) awake as DS fed.
For me, it was a lot of Law and Order. The funny thing was, I kept the sound turned down and the closed captioning on, because I couldn't bear the thought of this innocent little baby hearing about these horrible crimes. (even though he wouldn't have had the vocabulary to understand it). Maybe he'll be allowed to watch it when he's about 45. You know, right after he starts dating...

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#150 of 154 Old 05-05-2005, 12:09 AM

Quote:
My second daughter has now been diagnosed with a reading disability...and because she wasn't able to get a lot of knowledge out of books, television would have been very helpful to her. Not fluff tv but educational television. Now there are a lot of conc
SO you are saying that your daughter has LD because she was kept from watching Television?

(Learning disabilities can NOT be triggered by lack of TV.. However , learning disabilities can be triggered by tv)

Real Life is a great 'tool' to learning...

Michele

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page