do you let your toddler watch television? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes? no?
if yes, what kinds of things do they watch?
what things do you restrict?
and how much do they watch a day?

my son loves television and i find it very useful when i need to prepare meals or do something like get dressed in the morning.
but
i have major anxiety about it.
i dont want him to love it the way he does.
if i allowed it he would turn it on first thing in the morning and probably not shut it off.
of course that never happens but i still get anxiety about him watching it.
#2 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 12:56 AM

We watch it sometimes. Usually when sickness strikes or else when I really need it. My son loves to cook so he helps me. But if I have to get somewhere asap I might turn it on. I am on the path to being TV free for my son.

My son does not watches TV. He has seen Zoom a few times on PBS when I was sick. And some animal show that was on on the weekend. I try to not let him watch any other TV shows. I do not have cable so it makes it easy. As for videos--Only Spanish song videos, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang & Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Oh and we watch a learn Chinese video sometimes. And not every day. Just when we really need it.

I restrict everything with licensed characters. I restrict things with violence. Pretty much anything on TV.

He does not love it though, and he could take it or leave it. He would much rather crank up the music and dance. I try to use that first. Or books. Then TV as the last resort. He would rather go outside.

I have been getting ready to read "The Plug In Drug," and I have been told once I do I will banish it forever. I am afraid! :LOL

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#3 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 12:56 AM

HI Wholewheat if you really want to try and get rid of having the tv on or at least limit it more you could attempt during National tv free week ( its the last week of april)
Kai is almost 18 months and we dont have cable however we do have tvs ( for late night dvds movies DH and I rent..

We got rid of cable when Kai was a few months old cause it was a waste of money for us ( however before Kai we loooooved our tv we always tease and say since Friends is over we hate tv lol..we could watch 3 reruns a day in the evening)

Anyways, I really dont even know how we would fine time for it especially Kai. He likes to help with whatever Im doing and we play outside etc etc.. I see a difference already in the way he plays compared to other toddlers that watch tons of tv .........

Everyone has their personal preferences however even more then the millions of commercials i dont agree with how fast paced the images are ......

We really believe our lives are so much more fulfilled and fun without tv.. thats our joke we say even if we wanted Kai to watch tv where could we fit the time in? LOL

Now when we are somewhere and the tv is on we cant believe how silly the NEWS and all the reality shows sound.. who really cares what this famous person did or what ya neighboor did ! I read my news online lol

Michele
#4 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 12:57 AM

yeah he watches tv. Mostly disney channel and he loves thomas the tank engine and veggie tales. It's hard to say how much he watches cuz i leave the tv on most of the day ( i like it for background noise it is so quite w/o it on) but actual time is probably an hour or so that he sits and vegges
#5 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 06:20 AM

I let my ds watch videos, but I very rarely just let him sit in front of the tv and watch whatever is on. He has only a few videos he watches - Bob the Builder, Thomas the Tank Engine, a video about baby animals and the Wiggles. He usually only watches for about 15mins then goes and plays with his toys.
#6 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 06:25 AM

No TV.
Some DVDs.. and he will sit and watch a whole movie in rapt attention.. then cry wanting another.

So in our house we reserve videos for when we are sick or it is raining.
And then I let him watch however many he wants.

We have Thomas the Tank Engine also, some Winnie the Pooh, a couple of Disney movies (even though I hate Disney)

He also gets to watch movies at grandparents' homes.
#7 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 08:46 AM

We only have the TV on in the mornings. The kids are allowed to watch some PBS while I veg on the computer for a minute, drink my coffee, etc. He "watches" (which means he pays attention sometimes) to Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#8 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 08:52 AM

My son watches tv. In the morning while we're getting ready, it's immensely helpful to have Sesame Street on - he loves elmo. I cringe when he asks for it - not because it's tv, but because I can't stand elmo!! Most times if the tv is on, it's on Disney or PBS or its a dvd. He generally doesn't sit still and just watch - he is always playing or doing other things while it's on. I would feel guilty about that I bet, but he's actually learned a lot of things that I didn't think of, so I'm fine with it.

He would totally rather be outside - I think he would live out there if he could - so I actually sometimes have to use elmo to get him IN!!
#9 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 09:12 AM

We watch a fair amount of TV... especially in winter when I just can't find enough to do all day. But mainly it is in the morning to give me a chance to get going and at night to wind down. I think like most things it is about how much and what they watch. I tend to believe in moderation.

Maureen
#10 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 09:28 AM

Yes, my 13 mo old DD watches a bit of tv here & there... some Sesame Street or Pooh or her Baby Einstein videos... maybe 1/2- an hour a day...

Mostly in the morning while I am getting myself together ( coffee, dressing, etc.)!!!

melanie
#11 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 11:09 AM

My daughter is 10 1/2 mo. old. she loves TV. I let her watch TV as much as she wants. She watches educational and stimulating TV. KERA during the day is great. I believe that watching certain TV is very good for children. MY daughter constantly mocs the TV. Singing, dancing, ABC's, 123's, it's all great for her. I can understand with regular TV could be a disadvantage. MY husband works all day so I dont mind leaving it on a channel for her to enjoy all day. Sometimes she sits and watches TV, sometimes she's playing. When my husband is home, we eat dinner together, then she has a bath and a book at bedtime, and then we watch whatever we want. On the weekends, we go places and do thing, dont do to much TV watching then.
Hope I cold help!!
Tia
#12 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 11:22 AM

We don’t watch any TV at all during the day anymore. Things have been much better since I turned the TV off. He used to have some shows he enjoyed but he really doesn't seem to miss it at all.

We watch one of his Thomas DVDs together a few nights a week.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#13 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 11:55 AM

DS never watches TV at home. No videos either. Once a week or so DS and DH play alphabet games on the computer for 20 mins. or so. We keep both the TV and computer upstairs, out of the main living area.

DS is exposed to a small amount of TV (the Wiggles and Sesame Street) at daycare, while DCP is fixing meals. However, DCP says he mostly ignores the TV and uses that time, while the 2 other kids are mesmerized, to get his paws on all his favorite toys. :LOL

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#14 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 11:57 AM

Our household is all about moderation and the TV and computer are both tools and entertainment for us.

We watch DVDs or put things on TV onto DVD for our son to watch so he's not bombarded with commercials. That said, he WILL grow up savvy and we'll explain to him how commercials work and how to be very critical of them so that when he's older he won't be dumbfounded and taken in easily.

My son loves watching Muzzy in both french and english. Loves the old Looney Tunes cartoons on DVD, Speed Racer, Johnny Quest, lots of old cartoons that we watched growing up. Pee Wee's Big Adventure he adores (which is great for me since I've got it memorized!) and things along those lines. He spends over an hour each day intensely painting, spends lots of time reading on his own and being read to, and playing at the playground, so I don't worry at all about TV since he's not in front of it all day. Which means that I have no problem sticking in anything in that I would watch in front of him whether it's Curb Your Enthusiasm or Arrested Development, or Monty Python or The Young Ones sketches, etc.
#15 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 12:19 PM

My little guy watches here and there. I find that if I put Noggin on, he's not interested in the shows...but when Lori and her music comes on in between, he's dancing and right there at attention with her!
#16 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 12:32 PM

Ethan is 14 mo, and watches a smidge of TV/videos. He loves the baby einstein videos, is mildly interested in Barney or Sesame Street. I don't watch much TV with him -- the occasional Dr. Phil or Judge Judy but I try to wait for when he's napping or asleep.

I try to keep videos in reserve for when I REALLY need them. Like if he's having a clingy or fussy day and I need to make dinner. Or it's raining/snowing out and he's cooped up all day. Or if we've got a long car trip. He probably watches 1-2 videos a week.

One of the things I found that helped A LOT in cutting back was we got rid of extended and digital cable. We have basic... just the networks, PBS, and a few other channels. I save about $40 a month and the temptation to watch is just not there when you don't get much. I was so disgusted for paying all of this money and there was never anything decent on.

My brother eliminated cable all together so his kids only watch videos when they want to watch TV. I would miss Survivor, ER, and Desperate Housewives so this is a better solution for us. The only downside is we no longer get ESPN and we are huge UConn Husky basketball fans, so sometimes we have to go to a friend's house to watch a game, or listen to it on the radio.
#17 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 12:33 PM

We're a TV-free household -- don't even own one. I've found it to be a much easier approach than trying to monitor the content or amount of time it was being watched. My main problem with TV is that it's so passive. At this age, I want my DS to be engaged with the world around him, exploring how things work, actively observing, using his own creativity instead of being just being a fan of someone else's imaginary world.

I'm not a stick-in-the-mud about it, though. We did a transatlantic move last year and I plunked DS in front of the hotel TV tuned to PBS for about a week straight because it was the only way we could all survive the stress. I also have a couple kid-friendly movies on DVD and put DS in front of the computer to watch them during the rare times that I'm too sick to care for him properly (the stomach flu incident last year comes to mind). He is also allowed to play toddler-level educational computer games as much as he wants because I see them as being interactive and engaging a completely different part of the brain than passively watching TV.
#18 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I believe that watching certain TV is very good for children.
Do you have any links to back this? I've always heard the opposite.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#19 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 01:01 PM

No TV here, because we don't watch TV. And I'm not about to subscribe to cable just so that my toddler can watch Dora.

She does have a few DVD's and video's that she will occasionally request to watch. Mostly Baby Einstein (which she doesn't like anymore), and a couple of Thomas the Train/Teletubbies/Barney videos that were given to us (ugh).
#20 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 01:12 PM

{I believe that watching certain TV is very good for children.}

Dont really wanna debate and I shouldnt even post this however VERY GOOD for children?

Of course Im sure a lil tv is gonna outright kill achild or deform them

however I have noticed more and more and especially when I was working as a therapist with children>> Kids these days tend to not have much of their own imagination. they are to busy copying images and people they see on tv... everyone has different choices however for us:

We are allowing our DC the opportunity to create and build his OWN imagination

Michele
#21 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 01:30 PM

I took the question at first to mean the actual television until I read some responses so I'll break it down .... no broadcast TV but he is allowed to watch videos in the afternoon after his and before dinner. It is usually about 3:30 or 4 p.m. until 5 p.m. or so so about 1 to 1-1/2 hours most days during the week. None on the weekends as we are usually out and about.

He has Thomas the Tank Engine, Veggie Tales, one Little People video that came with his set, Baby Einstein tapes, etc. He also has a home video of a trip to the zoo with the whole family that he likes to watch, both to see the animals and all the family (grandma, grandpa, auntie, cousin, etc).
#22 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 01:47 PM

{I took the question at first to mean the actual television}

I think thats what the OP was looking for however all our posts should answer her questions anyway

Michele
#23 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
We don't have a TV, because I can't use it moderately.

When we are visiting other people, like my parents for example, if ds wants to turn on the TV, and it's not the sabbath, I let him. He likes to change the channels and make the special menus come up on the screen. So far it hasn't been a problem for me.

At one point some months ago he woke up while we were watching a DVD on our computer during his nap, but he found the images too overwhelming so we shut it off. He likes the animations that you get on the internet quite a lot though. We have used them to pacify him for a few minutes at a time. But it's not that great to get him interested in the computer, because then he's all into pressing all the buttons to see what happens! Hard to protect documents and stuff that way. Oh yeah, he also likes me to put on my yoga video on the computer and get out the yoga mats so we can do yoga.

I am satisfied that he's not a drooling cartoon or movie junkie at 26 months. He's better than I am!

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#24 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 02:08 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wholewheat Buns
my son loves television and i find it very useful when i need to prepare meals or do something like get dressed in the morning.
but
i have major anxiety about it.
i dont want him to love it
I feel the same way. We just started using the TV, as a make shift babysitter, when there is something we need to get done. Housework, showering etc...

The only show I've let him watch so far is Jo-Jo's Circus. I really kind of like it for kids, cause it's non-violent no one calls anyone names, it seems pretty good. DP and I have watched a couple other shows ad didn't like them. Since we have TIVO we just have a few episodes of Jo-Jo on the machine we can start up at any time.

It's hard for me, because before DP I didn't own a TV. DP, however, is a TV junkie. We joke that's why he asked me to move in with him, he had nothing to watch when he slept over my place. :LOL I just don't want my DS to turn into a TV junkie like his dad.
#25 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 02:18 PM

Dd watches a fair amount of TV; almost exclusively commercial free toddler-friendly shows (Noggin, PBS, videos).

I don't disagree that TV can be harmful for some kids, depending on the content, and the amount of time they're spending watching. But I think dd has learned a lot from TV.

She knows the ABC's, can count to 13 (skipping numbers sometimes), knows the difference between a lemur, a monkey, and a sloth; knows how a lobster swims and how a bird hatches from an egg.

She is also a real bookworm, so I'm sure she's learned a lot from books too, but I don't feel that the TV she watches is doing any damage.
#26 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 02:23 PM

Well DH likes to have the TV on all day as background noise. This time of year it is usually on a baseball game. DD never really pays any attention to it. Occasionally, like first thing in the morning while we are still waking up, I will turn it to Noggin or Disney or something and watch a little with dd. I like the Wiggles : DD seems to like Seseme Street. It's weird because when I turn on a childrens program she will watch it but when dh has it on ESPN or something she pays no attention to it. So, the tv is on a lot but I'd say she actually pays attention to maybe a half hour total. When I do watch something for her I will hold her on my lap and talk about the show with her. I wish the TV would be off more, but If I notice her getting entranced by it or wanting to watch it instead of do other things I will definitely limit it, but right now she seems like she could care less about it anyway.
#27 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 02:33 PM

Heck more then the commercials and the content its how fast the tv images move whether it is cable or dvds and such.. JMO...

Michele
#28 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 03:16 PM

We've been living at our in-laws' house but we're going to move in a month or so

In laws LOVE (I repeat, LOVE) TV and have it constantly on. They would never understand what all the fuss is about. Dh loves to unwind in front of the TV after a long day at work (as a child, TV was his babysitter, he tells me ).

I used to watch little TV. Here's what I do now to counteract all that. I don't turn on the TV at all during the day and at night it's mostly on a baseball or basketball game (ds loves basketball).
#29 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 03:31 PM

Actually TV shows, no
Movies and DVD's occasionally yes.
In all honesty the commercials scare me, I can sensor what he watches when its a movie and really limit the amount that he watches. (i.e. when this movie is over that’s all for today etc...)
However, the more pregnant I get the more I find myself letting him : Hopefully that will change a bit more when the baby comes :LOL

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
#30 of 154 Old 04-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Banned

We watch tv in our house. We don't watch violent stuff with dd in the room, like news or law n order. DD usually pays no attention to what we are watching. Dh likes to watch ball games and they talka little about what is happening. I like to watch hgtv. Dd like to watch wiggles, sesame street, thomas the train and tv shows with music. She loves to dance. She doesn't like to watch alone. The only shows she will watch alone are boobah and teletubbies, which she sits and stares at, so I don't let her watch that.

I think that because we don't make a big deal out of tv and we don't restrict it, she does not want to watch it that much. She is more active and prefers to play. She does loves music, however, and loves dvd's or shows with lots of that. We sing and dance along.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page