is it a big deal if my toddler swallowed little legos? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 9 Old 04-17-2005, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
 
meowee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can little-sized legos just pass through her digestive tract or should I call the dr? anyone have any experience with this? I don't know for sure if she swallowed one but I just fished one out of her throat and she is hiccuping.

any warning signs I should look for?

thanks!
meowee is offline  
#2 of 9 Old 04-17-2005, 02:25 PM
 
AllyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'd call...those things have pretty sharp corners! You can put a hole in your foot stepping on them the right way...I'd rather know for sure if she swallowed one so that if she did, maybe they can find an easy way of getting it out safely? I just would be nervous that the corners would scratch something...

Can she talk yet? Can she tell you how many she put in her mouth?

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
AllyRae is offline  
#3 of 9 Old 04-17-2005, 04:02 PM
 
4evermom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 8,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If it went down OK, it will probably come out OK. Check her stools to see if it comes out. I would guess she's fine if she doesn't seem fussy. My niece swallowed short straight pins, twice! One my sister knew she had swallowed, the second was a surprise diaper find. (I bet that made you feel better)

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
4evermom is offline  
#4 of 9 Old 04-17-2005, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
meowee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks mamas!

she seems just fine, and given that I don't even know if she swallowed any, I'm not going to take her to ER, but I will call the dr. thanks!
meowee is offline  
#5 of 9 Old 04-17-2005, 07:29 PM
 
Christy1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Michigan Corn Field
Posts: 5,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my DH's uncle swallowed a monopoly piece, (the boot, i think), when he was around 2-3 years old. He is now 36. :LOL no one knows if he ever passed it, but it never caused any problems.

HTH!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

Christy1980 is offline  
#6 of 9 Old 04-17-2005, 10:59 PM
 
morgainesmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rochester, NH
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We once had all 8 marbles from our marble maze go missing, and found one in our son's mouth at about age 2. We eventually found them, but in the meantime I thought perhaps he had swallowed them all -- the doc said no worries; they would pass. My kids have passed a few pennies in their time, acorn caps, etc. In a very small child it can be worrisome, but IME quite a bit can fit through those little intestines! With three kids spaced closely, it's hard to keep the house perfectly baby s afe!
morgainesmama is offline  
#7 of 9 Old 04-18-2005, 03:27 AM
 
Soundhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Gulf Islands, BC
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy1980
my DH's uncle swallowed a monopoly piece, (the boot, i think), when he was around 2-3 years old. He is now 36. :LOL no one knows if he ever passed it, but it never caused any problems.

HTH!

:
Soundhunter is offline  
#8 of 9 Old 04-18-2005, 03:40 AM
 
CaliMommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Boondocks
Posts: 3,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS1 swallowed a 1 1/4 inch long mechanics bolt when he was 3 y.o. Luckily it had a fairly flat end on it, but we had to go in for 5 days for X-Rays to make sure it was passing through his system w/out getting stuck or causing damage. He is just fine noe, but it was pretty uncomfortable for him on the way out IYKWIM. Good luck mama, I'm sure your dd will be just fine.

.

CaliMommie is offline  
#9 of 9 Old 04-18-2005, 12:31 PM
 
HokieMum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 1,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any advice, but our 17 month-old has started putting all kinds of things in her mouth now, so I can empathize!
HokieMum is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off