Toddler Haircuts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-14-2005, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 16-month-old is getting pretty shaggy...we've used my husband's beard trimmer the other 2 times we've trimmed him up, but I don't know if that's going to do the trick this time...

Any of you wonderful moms out there have magic tricks for cutting an active toddler's hair? His hair is pretty fine, but he has a lot of it, and he's getting some unattractive fringe hanging over his ears.

I thought about trying to clean up the worst of it while he sleeps, but then he'd be sleeping in bits of hair (not to mention he sleeps in our bed, and I don't want to be sleeping in bits of hair!)

Thanks for any help you can give!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#2 of 9 Old 06-14-2005, 01:47 PM

Colin has been getting full haircuts since he was about 6 months old...his hair grows really fast only at the crown & no matter how long it gets it only sticks straight up....
Until recently I would have him sit on my lap while dh cut it with clippers & this worked fairly well, sometimes we would sit and put a video on and do it...
Now that he is getting older (26 months) he hates haircut time so his hair has been getting out of control a little. Sitting with me doesn't work anymore, we've tried giving him something he cannot normally have, to hold (daddy's phone, a remote, etc), but once he starts to feel that loose hair on him he begins to freak out.
Another thing that worked when he was a little younger, was we would stand him on the bathroom counter with his back to daddy-he would love to watch in the mirror, and my husband gave him his electric shaver to hold to, he'll put it on his cheeks and go "mmmmmmmmmm" while dh cut away....
#3 of 9 Old 06-14-2005, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I put him in his high chair, put "Schoolhouse Rock" in the DVD player, gave him daddy's electric razor to play with, and had at him with the trimmer and scissors....it's a lot better than it was. The fringe over his ears is gone, and the back is no longer almost brushing his shoulders ....but there are a few tiny chunks missing here and there when he moved suddenly... : HA!!

Thanks for the suggestions, KyleAnn, I think holding DH's razor helped a lot, cause he kept turning it on and off - hopefully next time we make an attempt he won't be as fidgety (yeah, right) and I won't take any chunks out!

I'm hoping DH will help next time, too - he is traumatized right now because the other night we attempted, and he nicked DS's ear on the first snip he tried to make with the scissors....poor DH was more upset than DS! That's why I took this one on myself.

Thanks again!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#4 of 9 Old 06-14-2005, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
another thing i would do is take him with u whenever u guys have ur haircut. my dd hated anyone touching her hair but she would go with me. guess what on saturday she watched me and then said she wants her hair cut too and told the stylist exactly what she wanted. short in the back (sniff sniff i wanted it long) with bangs in front so the hair does not get in her eyes. she is 33 months old. she sat so well but asked a bunch of questions. i couldnt believe my eyes.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#5 of 9 Old 06-15-2005, 10:51 AM

I just shaved Aidan the other day...boy what a handful! Had to resort to DH pinning him in his arms while I got it over with quick. Made me feel so bad afterwards.
#6 of 9 Old 06-15-2005, 11:05 AM

Jewely was getting a mullet b/c the back was growing much faster so I HAD to cut it. I took her to a haircutting place and she filpped, they wouldn't do it, So they said to take her to the kids place which is insanely expensive. and being broke I didn't take her. Finally i could take it no more. I got the scissors and some barrett's and started nursing. well nursing i cut the first bit off and pinned it in a barrett. she stopped nursing asked what it was. I told her it was her hair. She started handing me barrett's to put hair in. she stayed perfectly still well i cut her hair and even well i evened up the bangs and back with the edge of the scissors on her neck.

I luckily didn't screw her hair up, it was actually super cute!

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#7 of 9 Old 06-15-2005, 11:07 AM

With ds1 I just got a set of clippers and put the #4 guide on it and went over his entire head. Ds2 was born with a nice full head of hair and I have vowed not to give him a haircut until he is at least 2. I do trim his bangs though, usually while he is nursing. :LOL
#8 of 9 Old 06-15-2005, 11:26 AM

DS loves to sit in the bathroom sink & play with all the q-tips, etc, setting on the counter.

That ususally keeps him still enuf to use the clippers.
I always do that with DH standing right there, ready to provide comic relief.

I've buzzed DS hair about 8 times - longer on top & high & tight around the rest - a modified military cut. 6 on top & 2/3 on the rest.
He looks so cute.

I've also put him on a sheet on the floor while watching Baby Mozart & he'll stay still then.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#9 of 9 Old 06-15-2005, 03:45 PM

I have cut Julian's hair 3-4 times, it's long and curly but sometimes needs a trim in the back because it gets uneven. I've cut it in the highchair before with a friend talking to him, and last time I cut it in the bath because I wanted it to be even and it's too curly to do so with it dry. I just caught the hair and tossed it on the side of the tub, and he got all bathed so there was no itchiness afterwards. It was a bit past his shoulders in the back, and now is at his shoulders.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page