Stay-at-Home Moms: when are you planning to re-enter the work force? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Stay-at-Home Moms: when are you planning to re-enter the work force?
When my child goes to pre-school 5 5.38%
When my child goes to kindergarten 5 5.38%
Will work part-time when s/he goes to school 24 25.81%
Not planning to go back to work for some years 59 63.44%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 11-28-2002, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently in school, taking 3 classes this semester (almost over- yeahhhh!!!), 3 next semester, and then full-time after that (4 classes). My dd is 26 mths and I went back to school when she was 4 mths, taking 2 classes each semester until she was a year old, and then 3 classes since then.
But, I am incredibly lucky to have her very much loved uncle keep her- which, by the way, we are now living with (since September).
I am a single Mom and dd's Dad is not very involved at all.
So, her uncle plays more the role of Dad than Uncle.
She actually looks forward to me leaving for school- makes me happy and sad at the same time!
Anyway, I have about 3 yrs until i finish school and until then my parents are supporting me (yes, they are wonderful!!!).
So, with my dd's ;ate Bday, she will likely be in her last year of being at home (may send her to preschool-still debating) when I have to go to work. I am so sad about this but there is no other choice. My parents make good money, but we are definitely a burden on them financially and so I have no choice really.
But, I am going to be a teacher so at least I will be able to have about the same times off of school as my dd.
Then again, maybe I will meet that Prince Charming in the next 3 years and can have more babies and postpone working....
Not likely giving my dating life right now!
Sara
#32 of 37 Old 12-29-2002, 11:35 PM

we plan on hs and i dont plan on going back. the kids are my job
#33 of 37 Old 12-30-2002, 12:26 AM

Never!! I love being at home. Even when all our kids (present and future) are all done homeschooling and I am a grandma, I will be here to finally have the time to meet my DH at the door with a spotless house and a made dinner.
#34 of 37 Old 12-30-2002, 05:10 AM

I think about this EVERY day. I don't know... I didn't vote.

I am actually a very new SAHM - just the past few months. And I'm still officially employed by my employer of the last 11 years. I'm on a leave and plan to separate in Feb as soon as our house refinancing and financial plans come together. I have a 3 year old son and I am 4 months pregnant with our second child. Another chilld after that? I don't know...

I teach yoga a few hours a week now. Right now that is more than enough, but it barely pays for groceries. I'm in a total state of transition, since I used to be the major breadwinner in our house and have been easing out of my career for the past few years.

I echo Sueami - I toy with other career ideas. Right now my idea is to get a master's in education after baby #2 is ready for me to go take classes. I'm totally burnt out from my career in community development (I worked for a federal government agency).

I'm not committed to being at home full time forever, but I NEVER want to work full time in the 8:30am to 5pm plus-an-hour-commute-on-each-side-of-my-day. Blech - that was my personal version of hell.

I enjoy being at home, but it is isolating - even with LLL and homeschooling groups and teaching yoga. I'm a VERY social person and I envision myself doing some work-for-pay as my kids get older. I toy with the idea of homeschooling, but I don't know. We will see what is best for our kids.

Of course money is an issue too...
K

Sueami - your post really made sense to me. I only read and post when I wake up in the middle of the night! I used to read and post from work when I was at a desk job.
#35 of 37 Old 12-30-2002, 06:59 PM

I also consider this question on a daily basis. Last year I thought I had the perfect situation working two nights a week as a psychotherapist while my DH cared for dds 2 and five. Now I am three months pregnant and exhausted. I am working on winding down to one night. I am really excited about this change I love my career but I love being a full time mom as well.

I think I will always struggle with balance but this feels good right now.

Yogamama congratulations on your pregnancy! We just joined the Chicago Children's Museum As always I would love to hook up but am limited by my 5 y.o. school schedule.
#36 of 37 Old 01-03-2003, 03:53 PM

Actually when my children are in full time school (like 1st grade on up) I want to go back to school myself. I only have one semester of college under my belt so far.

Jesse
Mommy to Kieran, Donovan and Liam
#37 of 37 Old 01-09-2003, 05:13 PM

NEVER LOL, I can't imagine working a real job again. Then again I was working at home even before kiddos. I will be self employed forever

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page