more potty woes- commiserate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2002, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there any hope?
In the house ds goes with pants and no underwear. That seems to help him to remember to pee on the potty. However, until today he would only poop in a diaper.

Today, ds pooped on the floor- well, in his pants and then it dropped onto the floor. After I picked it up, the dog had to come and pee on the same spot. I was really mad at the dog. I was happy that Ian at least pooped and did not hold it back. I told him that was ok but to try to poop on the potty next time.

Later ds was pulling down his pants and yelling "bottom" or pulling up his shirt and yelling "belly". Now he is just being pure stinkpot with a big grin on his face. Hmmmmm
I was thinking of sending him to his 2 days of daycare with the pants and no underwear routine, but I'm not sure he's ready for that yet, especially if he's going to be flashing everyone.

I suspect that the only good advice is keep on keeping on. How about some commiserating?

(edited to change the "dd"s to "ds"s. I'm just confused today.: )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2002, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add that he'll be 3 on Sunday.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

hey, nobody commiserated

Well, we have made some progress. We finally just gave up on underwear altogether and life is much easier. He seems to be toilet trained from about 8am to 8pm. He still won't poop on the potty, so we put him in a diaper after his evening bath. I'm going to relax and enjoy no diapers during the day for awhile before I tackle the rest of it again. Maybe he'll just get tired of the nighttime diaper or will eventually get more comfortable pooping on the potty.

He is a very busy boy. We usually have to remind him to pee rather than him asking us. When does this finally change?

Will they take him at his 2 days a week of daycare without underwear? He's on break now, but will begin again in January.

Does underwear really matter?
Old 12-17-2002, 08:45 PM

Hi Leafylady,

Just wanted to pop in to give you some support. You sound like you're doing a great job!

My mother warned me that, especially with boys, toilet training is the biggest battle ground. For me, that was true. My son knew what to do by the age of 2. He peed in the toilet right away and went dry through the night, and I thought, this is so easy. But, he wouldn't poop there for any reason.

I tried everything. I put him in underwear, it didn't matter, he went in his underwear and then came to be changed. I let him run around naked (in the summer), he went on the floor. I backed off for about a month and a half around January of thisyear, after trying since June of last year. He still went pee in the potty and was dry at night, but I put him in diapers because of the pooping.

Finally, a friend of mine, who has eight kids suggested that I try to re-train him to sit on the potty to pee, and that poop would just come naturally, because he would get used to sitting to go, and it wouldn't be so scary to let something go while sitting. She said that's why sometimes girls seem to learn easier, because they sit for everything.

The week he turned three, in March I tried it. We had a few mishaps of him sprinkling the bathroom wall, until he learned to point downward, but after about two days, he just started going poop, in the potty. About two weeks after that, he started to stand up to pee, and sit to poop, and everything has been great since then.

Good luck, I know it can be a trying time, especially when the kids know what to do, and you know they know, but they just won't do it. Hang in there, it will happen!
Old 12-18-2002, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Alison74 for the encouragement and sharing your own frustrations. That is just what I needed.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:22 PM

Now he is just being pure stinkpot with a big grin on his face. -leafylady

:LOL

Good luck leafylady!

User Tag List