Girls panties for boys? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be interested to see what kind of opinions this one generates.

The boy I sit for is 3 years/4 months old and shows NO, ZERO, ZILCH interest in the potty. No, correction, he shows a huge averse interest. He ain't using no potty and that's that.

Sooooooooo, recently he said he would wear real UNDIES, which I see as a big step in the right direction . . . a step which should be taken no matter what. But here's the catch . . . the undies he specifically asked for are Dora The Explorer undies. His mom looked for them, and the only ones with Dora she can find are pink, bikini style, and have lace.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 06:10 PM

They're just undies...he won't know they're "girls" unless someone makes it an issue. I say go for it if he wants them and it helps.
#3 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

I say let him have them. It is completely normal for boys to want to play with dolls and even wear dresses, my brother did until he was six, if it works for you than let him do it.
#4 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 06:28 PM

#5 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 07:02 PM

Let him feel pretty! He doesn't know they are girls panties.
#6 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 07:11 PM

we almost got ds dora panties - but he ended up opting for Thomas the Tank Engine instead - it wouldn't have bothered me at all. When he was in pull ups, sometimes he would get the minnie mouse pink ones - i let him pick. I imagine sharing a bed with mom and breastfeeding until he was four would make him gay faster than pink panties :LOL (um, kidding, btw)
#7 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 07:45 PM

Maybe the Momma can buy some plain boy-style underwear and find some Dora iron-ons?
#8 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 07:46 PM

#9 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 07:57 PM

I've complained about that issue a lot. My son loves Dora. But almost everything you can buy with Dora on it is pink. Since everyone calls Dakota a girl now, I wasn't about to put pink on him. Consequently he has no clothes with Dora. He does have an umbrella that is lavender. Fortunately he also adores Thomas and Nemo. So he has Thomas and Nemo underwear. Do you know how hard it is to find underwear that is no super heroes or other violent type characters. Even plain white ones were hard to find. Fortunately his big sister found him the ones he has.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#10 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 08:03 PM

#11 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 09:21 PM

My son wears dresses. I think it's fine. Why gender-type little kids who don't care?
#12 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 09:48 PM

Underwear is underwear. Even if a boy wears pink with lace, the penis is still firmly attached. Significance is what you make of it.
#13 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Banned

As long as they are comfortable-if they are bikini style I wonder if there is enough fabric in the front to hold everything in. If he gets half his scrotum pinched on the outside of the undies, that could be a major set-back in potty learning.
#14 of 54 Old 07-13-2005, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Mom
Do you know how hard it is to find underwear that is no super heroes or other violent type characters. Even plain white ones were hard to find. Fortunately his big sister found him the ones he has.
I know a PP mentioned OshKosh. Gymboree, Children's Place, and Gap all sell 'em too.

I don't see any problem with him wearing them. Underwear is underwear. If that's what he wants, go for it.
#15 of 54 Old 07-14-2005, 12:49 AM

if it gets him interested in the potty, why not?!
#16 of 54 Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 AM

i'll be joining the panty-wearing boys soon. I hate plain white undies, and I refuse to buy character undies. I did find some plain, light colored briefs for little girls. They cost a lot less and look comfy, are higher quality, and won't show under his (little girls) shorts. I buy him girls shirts and shorts too, because they fit more snugly, are cuter, more comfy, and lighter in color than boys clothes. Nobody knows that they are girls clothes.
#17 of 54 Old 07-14-2005, 10:22 AM

Hi, my dd loved trains when she was toddler. It is IMPOSSIBLE to find train undies for a girl. I know--I looked. I finally got Thomas underwear for her, and she loved them. Little boy briefs. Whatever. So, if I had a ds that loved Dora, I'd go to the fabric store and get 1 or 2 yards of Dora fabric and make a bunch of boxer shorts, but that's what I'd do . I'm sure they have a boxer pattern for kids (just for an example, if you page down here, you'll find a boxer pattern for all sizes from 2 on up)

http://www.timmelfabrics.com/jalie.htm

Or you could buy a pack of little boxers and reverse engineer.
#18 of 54 Old 07-14-2005, 02:01 PM

Let him wear what he wants * shrug* - honestly if someone has a problem with it ask them WTH they are inspecting his underwear....

Myr: wife to John 8/98 and mommy to Willow 06/03, Rowan 04/07 and Linden 02/10
#19 of 54 Old 07-14-2005, 05:18 PM

How could it possibly matter? Seriously, not trying to be flip but what might happen to a boy who wears girl's underwear? My 6 year old occasionally wears flowered underwear and when the father of someone he used to be friends with found out he made a point to declare it was certainly not OK for his son. I really don't get it... it's like people refusing to put flowered diapers on their boys. Gimme a break.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#20 of 54 Old 07-15-2005, 01:56 AM

Underwear is underwear. Let him wear what he wants. It truly doesn't matter. DS will wear anything and prefers flashy pink stuff.

PM
#21 of 54 Old 07-15-2005, 03:47 PM

I have a 3 year old son and 6 year old boy/girl twins, And my 6 year old will actually switch places with his sister at times, she wears his clothes including underpants and he will wear her clothes including panties, As i said in one of my other posts, Both of my sons were dressed as girls on a Saturday and Sunday last month, And my daughter was dressed as her brother during the same time period, we had gone out to do errands, shopping and visit friends and relatives, Both of my sons have long hair and get mistaken for girls almost all the time.

Even if both of my sons are dressed in boys clothes, Most of the time people think that i have 3 daughters and not 1 daughter and 2 sons, Both of my sons have unisex names, So when i call them no one looks at us funny if they are dressed in girls clothes.
#22 of 54 Old 07-15-2005, 07:52 PM

Yep, gender sterotypes/baggage will happen soon enough. Let them just be little and like what they like.
#23 of 54 Old 07-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodWillHunter
Underwear is underwear. Even if a boy wears pink with lace, the penis is still firmly attached. Significance is what you make of it.
:
#24 of 54 Old 07-04-2006, 06:55 PM

Since my girls wore their brothers old undies to potty learn this wouldn't bother me a bit. Most likely nobody will notice.....Now if either gender of my kids wanted to wear the opposite gender undies I would be fine with it but I would have an honest converstation about other people seeing it and thinking it was funny. I would work on come backs and stuff to help them deal with questions.
#25 of 54 Old 07-04-2006, 08:27 PM

I'd certainly go along with it to encourage the potty... beyond that I don't know.

I just bought my ds Dora swim diapers because he LOVES Dora. Somehow the idea of putting him in lacy girls bikinis seems strange to me though. (blame society I guess) My dd had plain Dora bikinis when she was little. If I could find Dora briefs I wouldn't be strange about it but that's my hang-up I guess.

In the short run anyway I'd go with whatever it takes to encourage the potty. They'll be under clothes anyway so who cares. He'll probably be in to something else soon enough anyway.

Funny side note: My dd has declared Dora to be "a baby show" but she like Diego. I've figured they created the Diego show to pacify people who were upset that their sons liked Dora but my kids are the reverse.

Mom to (5) (9)
#26 of 54 Old 07-04-2006, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
link to ebay search for dora iron-ons

i don't think there is anything wrong with his love of dora, i know a lot of little guys that like dora. there is a link above to some iron-on transfers you can buy on ebay, there is a wide variety there. i think the bikini style underwear might be uncomfortable for him, i'd get some iron-ons and normal briefs and have him help you make his own.

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

#27 of 54 Old 07-05-2006, 01:55 AM

Thank goodness other kids are like my DS! He has never really asked for girl panties, but he does LOVE the color pink and carries around a pink Hello Kitty blanket. I just always assumed it is because he is so close to me. I'm a girly girl and he's a mama's boy...

But i wouldn't have a problem with putting him in pink panites if he wanted them. He's young, and i doubt it would be life changing!
#28 of 54 Old 07-05-2006, 02:11 AM

Ds loves dora too and has a lot of other Dora stuff, but since her cousin Diego is getting popular, I imagine that stuff with both of them on it will be easier to find.
Wait, I take that back.
Ds has Madagascar underwear, but his favorite character is Gloria the Hippo who is a girl and is not on the boys underwear. I thought, that's weird, there is clearly 4 main characters and she's missing. Then he got Cars underwear and Sally, the girl car (his favorite) is missing. Then, he got Over the Hedge underwear, and the girls skunk is missing!!!! Clearly they do not put girl animals on little boy underwear. Would someone really be upset to have a girl character on boy underwear??? How dumb is that?
#29 of 54 Old 07-05-2006, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama
My son wears dresses. I think it's fine. Why gender-type little kids who don't care?
Exactly. I have a four and a half year old who wears dresses, pink, has My Little Pony underwear, etc etc. I have had a heck of a time dealing with family members on this, but my stance is still the same. He's just going with what interests him at the time. There is no need to put a child in a gender specific box. It's really a shame when people do that. It's stifling their creativity, their personality, and telling them how they feel is wrong somehow.

It's not wrong. It's NORMAL.

I've had family *ingore* him while he is in a dress. Flat out not talk to him, even if he is talking to that person.

It's unacceptable.

So, go ahead. Let your fella wear what he wants. There is NO such thing as "girl and boy" other than penises, testes, ovaries and vaginas.

That's all the male female definitions there needs to be.

Let the rest of the world shove it.
#30 of 54 Old 07-06-2006, 06:22 PM

I'd totally get him the pink Dora undies! When my dd started using the potty, she insisted on buying some boy's Nemo undies. With the little opening flap thing in the front. She loves them!

User Tag List