Tell me about reading to your toddler. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD loves books, but very rarely will she actually let you read one to her. She usually will sit in my lap and point at the pictures and tell me what everything is. If I actually try to read the story that's in the book, she interrupts me to tell me what's in the picture, or she gets bored and walks away.

Does anyone else's kiddo do this?
#2 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 02:01 AM

DD loves to sit and look through books with us, but has absolutely no interest in the storyline. She's only 15 mos and doesn't talk much, but enjoys pointing to different pictures when we ask "Where's the ___?" or "Can you show me the ___?" If we try to read the actual story, she gets impatient / annoyed and tries to turn the page. :LOL The only exception is short rhyming books, which she seems to enjoy in small doses.
#3 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD always did the exact same thing, she is 2.5, and it was just a couple months ago that she let me read to her. She literally woke up one day and said "read books mama" and that was it! :LOL She loves to be read to now.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 02:14 AM

DS is 13 months and loves all the rhyming books. I read them really fast and silly and he giggles. "Percival the plain little catipilar" is another one I can read. He listens and points at all the shiny things. Some books though he doesn't want to read, we just make things up and talk about the pictures.
#5 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 02:28 AM

Ds is just now getting interested in the actual stories. He is going to be 2 in 2 weeks. I used to volunteer in a read-to-kids program at a children's hospital and I soon learned that the littlest ones wanted to point out things and the older toddlers actually wanted to hear the story.
#6 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 02:32 AM

DS1 wouldn't sit but did like to be read to. (He didn't sit for anything btw) I would read while he played - hours or days later he'd comment on the story so I knew he was paying attention.

DS2 closes the book. Always has. Even if we are reading to his brother he walks over and closes the book. He's almost 3 and it drives me nuts. I'm ok with him not listening, well not really but you know what I mean, but he stops you from reading to anyone. ugggh. Don't know why either, he's done it since he could crawl over to you.
#7 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 02:42 AM

My daughter has enjoyed having books read to her since her infancy (like 6 mos or so- she is 20 mos now). She will sit thru the whole thing, provided it's not too wordy. She likes to get the same books read over and over again, and after we've been thru it a few times she wants to just talk about the pics too.

I think just go with it. That's what I do. And let them see you reading. My kid is obsessed with, "Oh! Mama read a book."
#8 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 08:30 AM

We're with thismama- dd loves loves LOVES to be read to since infancy. she gets waaaaaaaay into one or 2 books at a time & we go nutty reading them a million times :LOL

definitely just go with it. Especially at just around age 2, she's got a lot going on- it may seem like forever to her to sit & listen to a story!
#9 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 AM

Ditto thismama and bobica. DD is an avid reader from birth almost. Now she likes to point out things in the book or echo words that I've said or sometimes she'll just grab the book and look through it herself while in my lap and sometimes she'll sit through the whole book and sometimes she'll see an animal in a book, get up find a stuffed animal like it and come back to my lap. We're actually not allowed to get all the way through Harold and Purple Crayon for some reason. She prefers to just look through that one herself. We never know what will hit her fancy and some short books one would think we could read to her she won't sit through but then she'll turn around and sit through Cordouroy or Ferdinand or Piggy in a Puddle.

And then of course sometimes she'll pull a book down from one of our shelves, Herman Melville seems to be one of her favorites, I think she finished Moby Dick b/c Billy Budd seems to be her favorite now, and sit on the couch with us and "read". Guess I wanted to talk about how cute dd is. But what I'm really saying is go with the flow. However they're interested in books is a good thing. Make sure they see you reading occasionally and make sure they have easy access to books.
#10 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 11:36 AM

My almost-2-year-old does the same thing. Sometimes she'll sit through a story now. But usuallyabout halfway through it, she'll slam the book closed and say, "the end!" Then she'll got get another book for me to "read."
#11 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 12:36 PM

Our daughter has been very much into books since she was just a wee thing. We have had to put books away because she just got too obsessed and wouldn't do anything but look at "one fish two fish" for example. Some days I despair of her ever learning to play....but loving books is a wonderful thing, and hopefully we will find that balance. And yes, she sits quietly on your lap while you read to her and will ferry books back and forth from the shelf, one after another, until you go hoarse <g>.
#12 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 12:58 PM

Ds used to sit and listen until about 2 months ago. Now he wants to point to things. He also loves turning the pages. We've found the flip-tab books to be good at this time, since he loves being interactive. Whatever works.
#13 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 01:01 PM

Niether of my kids would enjoy reading the story until about 2. At about that point something changed and now they both really enjoy actually reading stories. I agree with "go with it" and I'll bet things change when he is a little older.
#14 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 01:19 PM

DD has loved being read to since birth. Lately, she's started something new...she listens to the story, and then takes the book from us and "reads" it to us. It's really quite funny, because she really gets into it and even mimics the sound effects we make when we read to her.
#15 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 07:54 PM

oops! double post!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#16 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 07:56 PM

DD is 15 months and she will look at a book by herself a long time but when i try to read it to her, i can only read the pages she likes. LOL. The other ones, I ask questions and she points to the answer to she points to something she wants to name. I think they still get alot of it even if they dont sit still enough to actually read the whole thing you know?

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#17 of 26 Old 07-20-2005, 07:56 PM

My daughters do that too. They will usually let me read the page, and then point everything out to me.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#18 of 26 Old 07-21-2005, 09:39 AM

MY 3 year old loves books. We have always read to her, actually since before she was born. We go to our library once a week for their "lapbaby's reading program" and it's fun.

I think not sitting through the story and just wanting to see the pictures is totally normal. We used to just talk about the pictures, make up things about them, talk about their colors or the sounds the animals make. I think often that kids learn more about the stuff we make up about the pictures than the actual story line.

My dh has managed to read The Wind in The Willows to dd in small installments when they go to bed. He does the night time routine and we all co-sleep. Our version of the book is a big one with some great illustrations. I think she liked his voice reading more than she was able to follow the storyline.

I think reading to your child is one of the most important things!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#19 of 26 Old 07-21-2005, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We basically do 3 different things that fall in this category:

DD will sit in my lap with a board book on "Colors" or "Counting" or "I Spy", with only one word or sentence and mostly pictures on a page, and she'll point to things and I'll name them, then she'll turn a page, not always in order. It's interactive.

OR, I'll read her a picture book that tells a story while she plays. She'll look up to see the pictures, but is also keeping herself busy, but her ears are open.

Finally, I read her longer stories (Right now, I'm reading her "Jungle Book", before that it was "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking-Glass") at bedtime while she nurses.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#20 of 26 Old 07-21-2005, 01:27 PM

My ds (2 1/2) is generally a very busy boy, in non-stop motion. He does sit still for books, though. Occasionally he'll want to read the same book again and again, but mostly we just read book after book. We must have read 8 or 9 books in a row (some short and some longer) this morning before breakfast. Some books we just point to things and identify them (especially trucks and animals), but if the book has a story he wants to hear it. I love to read and I hope ds keeps it up throughout his life.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#21 of 26 Old 07-21-2005, 03:22 PM

My DS (17 months) also loves reading.....we have several variations, much like Ravin posted...

DS will brign a book and we read through it with him....and read it again....and again....and again...I point to the various pictures and talk about them, and so now when I ask him about where things are he points to them too....we also act out things from some books, like our wake up book that talks about yawning, stretching and touching toes...he also loves when we use silly voices and ham it up while reading to him.

DS will sit on his own and flip through the book, occasionally making his own sound effects - I found him sprawled on his belly with a few books laying around him a couple weeks ago, and just

DS will bring a book, we start reading it to him, and he will walk away and start playing - DH and I think that sometimes he thinks we look bored and he's just giving us something to do! :LOL

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#22 of 26 Old 07-21-2005, 03:54 PM

I had a reply all typed up but when I clicked on post reply I got an error.
My 22 month old loves to be read to, and in fact will often toss a book on your lap and climb up the second you sit down.
#23 of 26 Old 07-21-2005, 03:58 PM

We either:

read long stories and read only a bit at a time until they lose interest

read while they are playing

go with their lead and talk about the book

have one child sit in our lap and read a short story to them if they are calm enough

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#24 of 26 Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 PM

My DS has always like to listen to books as long as they are short . now he likes to repeat everything so the word/picture books are great.
#25 of 26 Old 07-21-2005, 07:03 PM

DS rarely likes to be actually read the story...he prefers turning the pages at his own pace, pointing out pictures of interest and having me make up my own little anecdotes about characters or illustrations I know he'll like. I'm letting him set the pace with books and what interests him at this point...but looking forward to when stories will interest him!

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#26 of 26 Old 07-22-2005, 01:36 PM

Ds is 14 months, and thus far has shown little interest in books. Well, maybe for about one minute, max. He's much more interested in holding the book, chewing on it a bit, turning it over in his hands, etc. If you try to open it and read it to him he just grabs it and takes it away from you so he can examine it more closely (after which he promptly drops it and walks away).

His non-reading behavior may be due to the fact that he's a second child, and I just don't have as much time to sit down and read to him. Or, maybe this is just how he is! Dd, for the record, liked reading pretty much from the get-go, but we made a point to do it a lot with her.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page