toddler toys??? Help me make a list! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-24-2005, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother's decided to have a party for DD's first birthday, and she wants me to send her some gift ideas. She knows how I feel about beeping, flashing, noisy toys and too much plastic, and she really wants to help make sure we don't wind up with a load of stuff like that. If left to their own devices, my family will buy everything Leap Frog...

Anyway, what are your toddlers' favorite low-tech toys?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#2 of 12 Old 07-24-2005, 04:34 PM

trucks/cars, duplo legos, animals, hand puppets, tools for the garden
#3 of 12 Old 07-24-2005, 05:02 PM

We actually printed on DS's first b-day invitations "no gifts please". Of course, everyone still brought gifts, but most were very small & inexpensive (books, a kids cloth book photo album, chubby cars/trucks, other stuff I don't remember!)

Books are always a good choice. I bought several board books that I could actually read to DS at that age vs. ones without much text (a couple that come to mind that have more text than most board books are "Mama, Do You Love Me?", "Heartprints", "Big Red Barn").

DS also really started to like puzzles at that age - the one's with the large wooden knobs are easier for 1-year olds to hold.

My niece loved (and still plays with nearly a year later) the Four-in-one toy I got her for her 1st b-day (I'm sure other places sell it too - it's called the "Four-in-One Walker" from Taf Toys by Edushape.

Another 1st b-day present I have given is growth charts. I think the one's from eeBoo are a lot of fun, but there are tons of choices out there.

For DS's 1st b-day we asked for a Radio Flyer wagon (which he loves - it was from a family member who wanted to spend a lot of money!).

And if you get anything that's not appropriate or that you don't like (or both), you can always donate it to a shelter or the Goodwill!

Happy birthday to your daughter!

C
#4 of 12 Old 07-24-2005, 05:08 PM

Not a "toy" per se, but one of dd's favorite 1st birthday gifts was a little Ikea play table and chairs. She now sits at it to eat all her "meals" and colors, uses play doh there or stacks toys on it.

Books are always a winner....maybe supply a book list? Dd also loves the Babybug magazines so I suggested that as a gift as well.

Maybe a play house or tunnel (I think they have those at ikea as well) if you have the room.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#5 of 12 Old 07-24-2005, 10:03 PM

Ride-on or ride in vehicles, a play house, a toddler sized table and chair, a wagon, the big legos. A lot of them she might not be ready for yet, but in the course of the year she''l grow into them
Oh a doll - dd got a doll at about 10 months that she absloutely adored from day one.

eta: should have read other posters first Really this just a list of what I would like to have or dd, what she loves at other people's houses. Oh and one more thing, if you spend too much time at the computer, like some of us do, a toy laptop or so might be a good idea :LOL

nothing more to say I guess :
#6 of 12 Old 07-25-2005, 07:23 AM

Paints, playdough, craft supplies
#7 of 12 Old 07-25-2005, 08:14 AM

books, crayola color wonder paints, stockmar crayons, playsilks, blocks, wagon, Kettrike tricycle that grows with dc, a pop-up tunnel to crawl through, legos, dolls, ummmm, i think i need to switch to decaf :LOL
#8 of 12 Old 07-25-2005, 08:28 AM

Ds loves the wire bead toys. He is fasinated by moving them. Bubbles and a shopping cart to push are also a hit here.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#9 of 12 Old 07-25-2005, 10:23 AM

Definitely play silks, ride on horse, hand knit wool balls.

Warm wishes,
Tonya

Simple Living, Joyful Homemaking, Homeschooling Mom of 6
#10 of 12 Old 07-25-2005, 10:38 AM

What about a play kitchen? You can get really simple wood ones, although I can't think of where right off the bat (sorry, going on hardly any sleep)! And dishes? You can get kid sized dishes or just get big people plastic dishes from the dollar store.

I second the shopping cart idea- or anything to push!

Good luck!

Shannon
#11 of 12 Old 07-25-2005, 10:47 AM

Absolutely a play kitchen. It's the single most important item we have ever bought for the kids. It's in constant use--by my 6 yr old and all her friends. Sometimes it's not evenused as a play kitchen. It's pretty, too. Looks beautiful in the living room. check out www.novanatural.com It's an investment, but well worth it. We bought Julianna's Kitchen 13 yrs ago from Hearth Song (when it was still owned by a family) and it looks beautiful still.

I also think blocks are wonderful, and lots of small animals. The above link has wonderful ones, and I think their prices are as good as anywhere for this sort of quality.

For less $, but nice toys, I would say Playmobil. They are plastic, but high quality and without phylates (sp?) . One of the farm set ups (I would skip the chunky preschool one and go straight to the smaller sizes) would probably offer many good years of open-ended play to your child/ren. Here's their website so you can see what they offer. www.playmobil.com
#12 of 12 Old 07-25-2005, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD's faves hands down are her wooden puzzles. Beware the kind that make noises. Second place are her duplos.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page