January/February '04 toddlers - ITS AUGUST! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-26-2005, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope its ok to start a new thread! Celeste was 18 mo on the 19th and is about 25 lb and 33 inches she does not gain weight but was chunky before so seems fine. Still has 16 teeth, and no hair. In fact recently a little boy in a store was very excited to see 'that baby with a mohawk'...

She is talking (and signing) a lot, and learning a huge amount and runs and climbs everywhere - still falls down and runs into things a lot not sure thats normal but she is very impulsive.

She is also clingy recently and a lot of stranger/separation anxiety though very confident and extrovert generally - with other toddlers but not adults.

Still working on tantrums and GD - latest is the pterodactyl scream. Yikes! I use a lot of flower remedies and homeopathic remedies on her - she even takes them willingly and knows the word lol. Anyhow its helping both of us and I do think she is slowly becoming more responsive to not touching things and listening. I stayed with MIL and she was quite impressed she did so well and was not spanked ( ) though chasing the cats did not go down too well.

Finally when she wants to nurse instead of discretely signing Milk she yells BOOBY BOOBY BOOBY and would be the clearest word she says lol!

Anyhow hope more people post about their newly 18 MO old baby/toddlers!

Who stole my signature!
#2 of 13 Old 07-26-2005, 12:56 AM

My little red devil will be 18 months on the 2nd. He has all of his teeth except his two yr molars. He is not talking but does a few signs. He'd probably do more if I was more consistant.

Here's something I learned. If you leave your mini shower turned in the "on" position it's like leaving a fire hose for your 18 monther to find and use. Be prepared for every square inch of the bathroom to be soaked, and to find a very gleeful toddler!
#3 of 13 Old 07-26-2005, 09:33 AM

:LOL about the fire hose...oh boy can I relate!

Aidan will be 18 months on August 11th. At a weigh-in last week, he was 34 inches tall and 28 pounds 12 ounces. Still a big boy, but he's slowed WAY down.

We have tantrums also, and when he doesn't get something he wants he is a big drama queen...last night he ran out to the refrigerator and places his forehead on it to "weep".

He's also turned into a big bully, and we're trying to curb that one. I babysit my niece and nephew (5 and 3) and he's been bullying my 3 year old nephew who isn't much bigger than him. Thankfully, the 3 year old knows not to hit back and just shouts "No, baby!" alot, but any hints on getting through to AJ that his cousin doesn't like to be slapped in the face would sure help!
#4 of 13 Old 08-17-2005, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Bump For August!!

Who stole my signature!
#5 of 13 Old 08-17-2005, 10:27 PM

Hi all - my DS turned 18 months July 29, but I guess that's close enough...

My mom likens DS to a bull in a china shop, and DH calls him "steamroller"....the boy has boundless energy and knows no fear! Running, climbing, lifting/carrying bulky objects you wouldn't think a toddler would - it's never a dull moment while he's awake...including several head bonks, stubbed toes, and various other minor bumps each day.

I took the time to actually write down his words a couple weeks ago because I realized he was talking more and more, and he has quite a few - but our favorite right now is that he says 'more please' (moh peez) when we're eating. Hearing his squeaky little voice say it is just too cute.

I don't have his height and weight right now, because we had to reschedule his 18-month appointment due to closing on our first home (YEAH!), so I won't have those stats until Aug 30 (though I suppose I could try to measure him here at home...oh no, wait, that would require him to actually be STILL for a couple minutes while he was awake! :LOL ) If i can manage it on my own, I'll edit and post later.

What else, let's see...still loves his books (says ahga, agha, agha to be read to again, again, again), is very into throwing balls now (we got a pop up play thingy that has a basketball hoop and a ball pit he can crawl into with 50 small balls, he is in heaven with it).

He is also a drama queen, too - I am starting to learn about transitioning, which he never seemed to need before, but now when we have to move from one activity to another, I give him a few minutes warning and tell him what we're goign to be doing, and it's working out better. He also gets very frustrated if he's trying to do something that is a bit out of his skill level, so I encourage him to keep trying, and if there's some small way I can help him (like holding a container still that he wants to put a lid on) and he gets it done, he will just light up (and from GD board suggestions, I say "you did it!" - loving everything I'm learning here on MDC!!!!!!)

His hair? Well, it's...um....interesting. Sigh, he got his daddy's hair - we were both hoping he'd get mine. His is fine and wispy, even though there's a decent amount of it, so he has a constant "Alfalfa" bad hair day thing going on, but there's not much we can do about it. Only needs his 2 yr molars and he'll have a full set of choppers (he's actually had all but the 2 yrs since about 15 months - if it has anything to do with food, he's a little ahead - ha! )

I had a recent GD success with a verbal request, which shocked the heck out of me, but I'll take it....I have been telling him for months now that knees or bottoms go on chairs and other precarious things like wheeled toys, not feet (after his one ride-on toy had whizzed out from under him several times...) So after about the 3.7 millionth time saying it, as I was getting up to walk over to him to help him to sit down on it, he actually did it on his own...and has been not standing on dangerous things for about a week now - huzzah!!

Wow, this is a really long post - I definitely can ramble....if you've made it this far, I admire your perseverance!

Who else is with us?

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#6 of 13 Old 08-18-2005, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Well my DD was born 1.19.04 so now she is almost 19 mo - wow. Not sure where the other Jan/Feb toddler Moms are but probably chasing their toddlers all over and collapsing into bed at the end of the day!

DD is not very responsive to GD (or anything else!) right now, and is extremely spirited! She does say "DID IT" when she does something though its cute. But the new words she said today were NOT cute - oops need to watch our language!

DD has not gained weight in forever she is still 25 lbs and 33 inches, but is not too skinny so I think she burns it all off running around. She was chunky before though but hope she grows and gains more weight again eventually as she was actually 27 lbs at 10 mo old.

I think she is working on her final 4 molars, and acts like she is teething again. Oh joy! Still not much hair!

Mostly she is working on climbing, going up and down steps and language explosion. She is very obsessive and will go up and down a step 20 times to get it right, gets a little exhausting but its good to have focus! MAJOR tantrums still off and on!

Anyone else out there with Jan/Feb 04 toddlers?!

Who stole my signature!
#7 of 13 Old 08-18-2005, 03:11 AM

Me! But I'm super-tired right now and DH is waiting (sleeping now?) in bed for me, so I'll come back and post more later.

It's so much fun to read about other little ones around the same age as Gabriel!
#8 of 13 Old 08-18-2005, 11:48 AM

I just saw this post. Abi is currently pulling Nitara around in a toy bin. :LOL Nice to see you all!! Everyone's growing up so fast!

Nitara was 24 pounds 4 oz. at her check-up last week. She's 33 inches tall. Her reflux is starting to improve so the ped suggested weaning from the tube. It's a very long process (maybe years), but we need to start. She's been lifting her shirt to expose her tube when she's hungry instead of asking for food. I'm nervous because she will probably lose weight during this process. Hopefully not too much.

Last week we started by reducing her tube calories. She responsed by being very grumpy. Finally made the connection and now she's trying new foods every day!! She's not eating a lot of volume but that's okay, we will take our time with it.

Nitara is a good little talker. She picks up a lot of words and phrases from Abi, like "Look at me" and "watch me". She's very athletic, loves to dance and jump and climb. She's starting to fight back with her sister, too. Last week she was hitting her! But I think we corrected that behavior, thank goodness. For now anyway.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#9 of 13 Old 08-18-2005, 01:20 PM

Aidan had a checkup this morning. He's 29 pounds 3 ounces and 34 1/2 inches tall...big boy!

He's running and jumping and talking up a storm too. He'll give kisses and hugs at will, but will only tell Daddy that he loves him with words...he does sign I love you though.

We got some pet finches from my aunt this last week and he's having fun helping feed and water them (and is currently trying to stick a piece of apple in the side of the cage for them with Sissy's help.)
#10 of 13 Old 08-18-2005, 04:40 PM

Hello, ladies!

Sorry for being away for so long, I used to start all of our threads in the Life with a Babe forum, remember me?

Well, Vicente will be 18 months in exactly 2 days He is doing very well, and has his 18 month check up on Monday. We started selectively vaxing when he turned a year (I didn't want him getting anything before a year) so this means that on monday he'll have his second round of vaxes, I'm dreading it! Dh will come with me, otherwise I couldn't do it, but I keep going back and forth with my vaccination decision and it's driving me

Valentina (my oldest) is also doing well, she's 4. Well, 4 1/2 according to her She's into princesses and barbies and all that kind of girlie stuff. We drink tea at tea time (4 pm) every day, she's turning into her mother!!! :LOL

Valentina is starting preschool in a private christian school in September. This is the same school she will be going to for elementary school, we think. Although we are just now starting to interview private schools, at least we have an idea of where she will go, even though we still have a whole year. (She'll start kindergarten next year) and while Vale is at preschool, Vicente and I will take a Gymboree class (his first!) so we can have some alone time, just my baby and me

He's nursing about twice a day now, and a couple times at night. I cut back on the nursing because he was nursing so much I was going a little but now things are much better since we are only nursing for naptime, bedtime and once or twice at night.

I'm so happy to be back and hope to be less of a stranger here!

~Carmen
#11 of 13 Old 08-19-2005, 05:56 PM

Hi everyone. Nikolas turned 18 months on August 3rd. At his 18 month well check he weighed 20 lbs. 13 oz. and was 31" tall. He is now at the 3rd percentile for weight, which is an improvement as he had dropped off of the chart at 9 months of age. He is starting to eat more solids, but still loves his milk too.

He is starting to talk more. Most of what he says is still his own language, but he's now saying more words that we can understand. His new words are diaper, baby, bye bye, belly and puppy.

He is such a climber. He climbs on everything including the kitchen table and counters. He pushes the kitchen chairs to where he wants to climb and then does. He also gets upset when I take him down and tell him no climbing. He is starting to have some toddler negativity. He still won't say no or shake his head though. I'm wondering if this is normal. I can't remember when my older kids did this.

He is now sleeping through the night though it is no longer with us and is in his crib. He seems to sleep better by himself and will even let me just put him in his crib awake when he is tired and he will suck his thumb and go to sleep on his own. My other two never did this so this is a first for us.
#12 of 13 Old 08-20-2005, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karry
He is such a climber. He climbs on everything including the kitchen table and counters. He pushes the kitchen chairs to where he wants to climb and then does. He also gets upset when I take him down and tell him no climbing. He is starting to have some toddler negativity. He still won't say no or shake his head though. I'm wondering if this is normal. I can't remember when my older kids did this.
DD is obsessed with the kitchen table, and my PC chair, she went through a phase of saying No - but it was when you asked her to do something she really wanted mostly! I am sure it depends how often you say it to them, I did end up saying it too much when I went to my MIL's not child-proof house and thats when she started...

We have a lot of tantrums and melt-downs though they are slightly better very recently. DD has always been high-needs and emotional/spirited and started tantrums really young.Its definitely a challenge!

Who stole my signature!
#13 of 13 Old 08-20-2005, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
Nitara was 24 pounds 4 oz. at her check-up last week. She's 33 inches tall. Her reflux is starting to improve so the ped suggested weaning from the tube. It's a very long process (maybe years), but we need to start. She's been lifting her shirt to expose her tube when she's hungry instead of asking for food. I'm nervous because she will probably lose weight during this process. Hopefully not too much.
Thats great you have got to that point, and are such a wonderful mother to Nitara, I hope it all goes smoothly, and admire your dedication and caring. I am sure it is not easy.

Who stole my signature!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page