swallowing food whole - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-02-2002, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds doesn't chew his food!

He likes pureed food (he's 18 mos)

But anything with texture he either spits out or swallows whole.

I forgot what else I was going to say.

#2 of 6 Old 12-03-2002, 01:11 AM

No advice, I'm afraid, but I hope others have some to offer! (Come on, guys, words of wisdom, please!)

Dd is almost 15 mos: at first she was pretty keen on solids, but then she started just wanting purees. Now she's 'off' them altogether -- I'm hoping it's just because she's had a cold, but I'm concerned it may be more than that. Pretty much 95% of her calories the last while have come from formula. I hated the fact that she was on 100% formula rather than breast milk by the time she was 9 mos (long story), and consoled myself by figuring that soon most of her calories would come from all the yummy, healthy solids she would eat. What's happening? I don't want feeding time to turn into a battle, so I don't push the issue much, but I don't know how to turn her around.

So, PumpkinSeed, I hope I can piggyback onto your issue! At your end, what approach have you been taking so far? How old was your son when he started solids?
#3 of 6 Old 12-03-2002, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

We started giving his tastes of solids at 9 mos. He wasn't interested in actually consuming any solids until after 1 year. Now, he will eat some, but only eats well if it's pureed.

Although, he loves raisins and seaweed crackers. (but the raisins definitely come out whole---I have to shake them out of the diapers after 2 full cycles. : )

Oh and now he's drinking so much soymilk, that's what was giving him diarrhea. We spent the last two days limiting the soymilk and lo and behold, the diarrhea went away.

He's weaning now. Last week it was 3 whole days he didn't ask me to nurse. THe last two days he asks me but then latches, unlatches then runs off to play.
#4 of 6 Old 12-03-2002, 01:41 AM

Soymilk does it too, eh? Dd was drinking whole cow's milk straight for a while (again, I have such massive guit over her having formula, I couldn't wait to get her off it), and she had horrible, smelly runny poop that made me and dh sick to our stomachs (oh, that first morning diaper!), and went all up her back and down her leg several times a day. So now, it's back to formula and back to manageable diapers, fewer changes of sheets.

But oh, I wish she was more into solids! She also started on around the timeline of your ds.
#5 of 6 Old 12-04-2002, 02:57 PM

DD (12mos) also swallows her food whole! I just discovered this because she vomitted for the first time 2 days ago. She still only has her 2 lower front teeth, but I thought because she seemed to work her food when we give it to her that she was gumming them or something. When she vomitted at around dinner time that day, things from lunch were still there, still in the same shapes that I cut them in! Now I wonder whether it is worth it for us to continue to give her the little bits of peach, cantaloupe, etc, if she doesn't even mush them up a bit. Would it be dangerous for her to have so much food stay in its solid form in her stomach? Can it cause problems (obstruction, etc)?

TIA for any help you mamas can offer!
#6 of 6 Old 12-05-2002, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know about obstruction, but it sure makes for a long time sitting in the stomach digesting. That's what I mean about feeding ds pureed foods. Our ped did make a comment about his small size and the digestibility of his food. Meaning, since ds is sooo small compared to other babies, maybe we should make extra sure that he can digest what we feed him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page