mama! Dada! SPONGEBOB? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2002, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok. My son is just now 15 months old. He says mama, Dada, Grandma/Grandpa (not clearly but clear enough) and is pickingup lots of words now. He is way ahead of his sister (when she was his age) and most of these new words are within the past 2 weeks. So last week I am in the supermarket with him and swear he is saying to me, clear as day "SpongeBob". Huh? He then says it and points and wouldn't you know it- a SpongeBob display! Ok, I am crazy.

So yesterday I go to target with my Mother whom I haven't mentioned this too and hear her yell "Did you just say Spongebob?" And he repeats it pointing to a Spongebob shirt. This is really strange being even my 5 yo rarely watches the cartoon and all. Yet he knows and says Spongebob clear as could be. Go figure. It's not like we have him watch any tv, although when it is on he will stop all he is doing for ANY verizon commecial and the "Clapper" commercial. We are not sure why as some verizon commercials are dull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2002, 02:35 PM

DD is fond of the "Dell Guy".
Old 12-02-2002, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When ds was about 7 months old he woud stop dead in his tracks for the Soft and Dry commercial with the women dressed in skinpy camo outifts. It was very strange. He would also come tearing into the room anytime he head the theme song from Beverly Hills 90210. It's amazing the stuff they pick up on so quickly.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:06 PM
Banned

Yeah. Dd just started saying "shake bootie!!!" (dancing around all the while). What can ya do?
Old 12-02-2002, 04:07 PM
Joi

LOL when dd was about 2 she could say Emeril Lagasse. *shrug* I guess I am a little fond of the Food Network.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:18 PM

My ds loves to say Spongebob too! He is 19 months, and has seen it a couple of times at his granparents house.. It has become a fun game lately.. He'll say "spongebob!" and then we'll have to say "squarepants!" or vice versa.. It's very cute.. We are thinking about maybe getting a Spongebob video, because we think it's a pretty funny cartoon ourselves! :LOL
Old 12-02-2002, 05:15 PM

Ds is 18 months old, and doesn't talk at all. One day he was petting my friend's cat and said clear as a bell "kitty." Huh? We don't have cats, no one in our family has cats. He's around dogs constantly, but no "doggie." Go figure.

Oh, and he's never been interested in any cartoons on tv, but if a commercial for the Simpsons comes on he can't tear his eyes away.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:46 AM

I despise Spongebob and will not let it be on in our home. I tell my DS (who is 2) that Spongebob is "yuck" and he doesn't give me any trouble about it at all. In fact, he will happily point out any spongebob merchandise when we are at the store and loudly yell "YUCK!". Once, he kept pointing to a boy about age 9 in a resturant and saying, "Yuck" over and over. I was so embarrassed and couldn't figure out what so offended him about this kid...till I saw the kid's Spongebob t-shirt.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:31 AM
rda

I think there's something about Spongebob's goofy face that appeals to my dd. She was spotting him from across the video store at about 5 or 6 mos old and giggling out loud. My older girls watch it occasionally, but it irritates me, so dd and I are rarely even in the same room when it's on. Think about it though...he's got all the things babies like to look at: bright color, high contrast, large eyes, big smile....
Old 12-03-2002, 03:08 AM

Dd has many words that probably only a parent could understand, but every now and then she'll enunciate a word with the diction of a 20 year old. in a soft voice much older than her usual baby voice. Once it was "more" and today it was "the cat." It's startling, almost like she's channeling.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:38 PM

It doesn't take much. It seems to me that my 2yo DD needs to only hear a word once and it's in her database.

Personally, I can't stand that Spongebob character...he looks like an ugly piece of cheese: But who knows what DD's favorite "friends" will be along the way.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:05 PM

Guess I'm the only mom arounds these parts that thinks Spongebob is amusing... Granted, some of the humor is pretty low brow, but I find the cartoon to be quite entertaining!
Viva Spongebob!
Old 12-03-2002, 05:07 PM
Banned

What is Spongebob, anyway?
Old 12-04-2002, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

SpongeBob Squarepants isa cartoon character. He is on everything these day it seems. To add to my sons Spongebob obsesion: We are in the supermarket and passing the Mac and cheese display-of course Kraft hasa Spongebob mac and cheese. HE reaches out yelling "SpongeBob!!" Again!

This blows my mind. HE is showing me Spongebob is EVERYWHERE but how the heck did he pick up on this (and not say Disney or some other very common crap we do not really watch or have around). Wow!
Old 12-04-2002, 07:32 PM

That is too funny! My older 2 like Spongebob, but the only one DD 18 months like is "jellyfish jam"... I even downloaded the song for her!

All mine were sooo infatuated with Dodge truck commercials... All the red on black stuff.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:29 AM

And I thought we were the only ones! My dd, who is 2, loves Spongebob with a passion. She has only seen the cartoon maybe once or twice, and that is b/c I don't think it is exactly appropriate material for a toddler, but also b/c it scares her (she gets scared very easily by stuff on the tube- any type of action, heck, she's even scared of 2 Barney videos!).
But, I personally love the cartoon! I rarely get to see it but wish we had cable so I could tape it and watch it after dd goes to bed or something !
AS far as them picking up on words, my dd is very good at listening and remembering words. I love to listen to the radio when we are int he car and dd has heard that Toby Keith song "Who's Your Daddy" one too many times I guess. Because yesterday she jumped up on my bed, put her face in mine and said "Who's yo Daddy?!" I had to leave the room:
She alos likes to sing along to the radio, but doesn't always get the words right. Like we were listening to that old song by Dire Straits, it starts out "I want my MTV..." and dd is in the backseat singing "I want my tee-tee..."
Oh, one more thing on the Spongebob thing- I was trying to get dd to cut back on her nursing so I put up a "Nursie Chart" and told her she could nurse only at the times on the chart. Then we went to Wal-Mart and she picked out a SPongebob watch so she could "tell" if it were time to nurse or not. So everytime I told her she could nurse she would say "Spongebob said it's ok to nurse!", she was even saying it in her sleep!
Spongebob rocks!
Sara
Old 12-07-2002, 03:05 PM

My DD, who just turned 3, also likes Spongebob, but her newest favorite TV show is Disney's Out of the Box.

Her all-time favorite character, hands-down, is Shrek. He's her favorite imaginary playmate and her best friend, even if he does try to put her in time out from time to time. LOL! Princess Fiona and Donkey are also regular visitors as well.

She's getting a Shrek pillow buddie for Christmas from my Mom and I just know she's going to be in heaven and we're going to have to co-sleep with the thing.

Stephanie
Old 12-07-2002, 03:20 PM

Elias (35 months) has never been to McDonalds, and doesn't watch commercial television. So as far as I know he has never seen a Mc Donalds commercial.

So I was very suprised yesterday when he pointed out a McDonalds "restaurant" and asked me if we could go in there and have "food".

It really is amazing how well these things are thought out to attract kids.

Carin
Old 12-07-2002, 04:27 PM

Carin--
Yes! When DD was born, we received several Winnie the Pooh outfits and I didn't think too much of it, but then the association grew. Fortunately, DD is not addicted to any character (yet?) but I do let her listen to the Wiggles, Kindermusik and VeggieTales music on tape in the car. She sees virtually no TV. I wish we could get the courage to get rid of our TV, but DH and I sometimes like to vegitate for a bit after our exhausting 2hr drama of parenting DD to sleep. We used to play cards and games more and I'm planning to have that on my New Year's resolution list.

User Tag List