Which toys did your toddlers really love - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 12-11-2002, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd now 2 , started "helping" me sweep and vacuum shortly after her 1st birthday....Only now does she use it ( the broom)as a weapon when battling "The tickle Monster" aka DaddyI got both broom & vacuum atToys RUs for less than $20 for both. I might add the vacuum takes batteries with a light and real sounds....

Take care..
#32 of 45 Old 12-11-2002, 03:48 PM

Fisher Price flashlight

Lego Duplos

anything that he can pretend is a sword. If it is longer than it is wide, then he pretends it is a sword. He even uses my tea strainer as a sword.

Foam letter squares (one foot square each) that make a mat on the floor and that can also be attached to form big blocks
#33 of 45 Old 12-12-2002, 03:50 AM

My 20 month old dd plays with her duplo legos for hours on end. She builds robots, horses, giraffes, and loads of other things. It's the one consistent thing that she enjoys. Well, besides getting into my makeup LOL. She's getting a little tupperware container with play makeup for Christmas. Maybe that will deter her.

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
#34 of 45 Old 12-12-2002, 03:58 AM

#35 of 45 Old 12-13-2002, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

We have those foam tiles with letters in them. I didn't realize I could make them inot block. I guess I see it now that you mention it. I was thinking of glueing the letters in because I am tired of putting the letters back all the time.
What do you think?
#36 of 45 Old 12-13-2002, 06:58 PM

I know what you mean about putting the letters back in all of the time. What a pain! But it helps for teaching letters, so I wouldn't glue them in.

I did throw away all of the little letter bits, like the small spaces in the B, and P. I thought those little pieces were just asking for trouble- choking the dog, cat or kids.
#37 of 45 Old 12-15-2002, 03:45 AM

If any of you are still looking for a neat (an inexpensive) wooden doll house...Costco has them $99--two stories, car, garage, sunroom, FULLY furnished with little wooden people. Very Waldorfian looking. And just a little touch of paint on the room and some furniture pieces. Looks a lot like #4245--the two story one about 1/4 way down on this page http://www.grannys.com/selecta.htm Not the same brand, but darn close. Our boys are getting one for Christmas, and friends got one last year. They are just GREAT! And, can't beat the price

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#38 of 45 Old 12-15-2002, 10:59 AM

I got this polaroid for my 3 year old, which should be fun. The film is expensive though, so it needs to be rationed.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...03&cat1=114177

I also got a mini trampoline, the kind they sell for exercise, a cheap one for about $25 from Farm & Fleet. My son loves to jump constantly. I mean constantly. This is the only thing that even comes close to tiring him out.
He obviously needs supervision, but it's very sturdy and only about 10 inches off the ground. (It's a longer fall off the couch, been there done that.) It was heck to put together. Walmart sells one for $20 that folds in half for travel and looks easier to put together. The mats are about 32-34 inches diameter. With springs they are 36-38 inches diameter- so no flips allowed.
#39 of 45 Old 12-15-2002, 11:40 AM

We were really happy with the pouring, cooking and cleaning items we got from www.littleredrobin.com

It was cheaper than we could find anywhere else as well. We got a sweet broom that our 26 month old uses every day for 4.99.
#40 of 45 Old 12-15-2002, 05:29 PM

we got a broom/clean up set in a big plastic bag from of all places KB toys. I hardly ever go in there because I feel they sell so much junk, but we had to make a return. Anyway, the set is by OCedar and looks just like my broom/whisk and dustpan. I think it was $4. Like someone else said, i had to take it away from Ds as he used it as a sword...but now Dd (22m) uses it and does a fine job!
Other things we got that the kids really like(d) are~
a little snow shovel
garden things like a rake, spade, etc
the vaccume (what is it with that?! ) ours is an awful purple and pink one, almost 18 years old little tikes, handed down from my little SIL! It's indistructable.
blocks
those wooden stacking nesting blocks
jack in the box

I would LOVE to get them a little trampoline! An exercize one looks like it would be just right

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#41 of 45 Old 12-16-2002, 05:45 PM

on trampoline: you may be able to get an excersize trampoline cheaper, but "kid's" trampolines generally come with a bar that the child can hang onto while they jump. It is safer and kids also enjoy hanging onto the bar.
#42 of 45 Old 12-16-2002, 09:33 PM

I looked at those kinds of mini trampolines too. I think it depends on the kid. Knowing my boy, he wouldn't hold onto the safety bar unless he was swinging from it or flipping over it.
It really does require constant visual supervision. We follow a few rules and I'm sure there are more.
1. one person at a time
2. walk carefully on and off the mini trampoline- no jumping on or off
3. no hard toys in hands while jumping, or masks on face, that sort of thing
4. no flips
#43 of 45 Old 12-17-2002, 10:46 AM

Yep, we had one of those "kid trampolines" with the bar but got rid of it quickly because my guys refused to hold onto it and were forever banging different body parts into it. After the bloody mouth incident, out it went. We got one of the "exercise" trampolines with no bar and it is still in use! I guess if you have a child that will actually use the bar for its intended purpose, that is the better toy. I have to say that I've never met any of those kids!
#44 of 45 Old 12-17-2002, 12:57 PM

I find it really interesting that so many kids scorn the bar. I go to an indoor park that has one, and I have never seen a kid not totally love the bar!! I wonder if it has to do with seeing other kids using the bar before you.
#45 of 45 Old 12-18-2002, 12:12 AM

I doubt my kids would use the bar, which is one reason they do not have a kids one! But thanks for the info anyway
I think the old sofa cushions will do just fine for us

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page