Which toys did your toddlers really love - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 12-04-2002, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family would like suggestions of what to get DD for christmas, and I wonder which toys your kids played with over and over again. I know which ones she plays with now, but she already has those...
So, besides books and crayons,
what are the best toys?
#2 of 45 Old 12-04-2002, 04:22 PM

When my guys were toddlers, they all LOVED their toy vacuum. It was an upright and when you pushed it, it made a low whirring sound, it's headlight came on and tiny colored balls blew around inside. No batteries, just kid powered. I believe it was made by Fisher-Price. I got it at a yard sale and it made it through all three of my kids and has since been passed on to a cousin and still going strong. They also loved their own tape player - made for small kids with large buttons that they could easily operate (big green button for play/go, big red button for stop/eject and large arrows for rewind and fast forward.) Again, heavily used and loved by all three! It even went down the stairs a few times. Good luck!
#3 of 45 Old 12-04-2002, 11:50 PM

Wooden Blocks
Mega Blocks (the larger Legos)
Magna Doodle (the big one with six magnets) - especially good in the car.

All have entertained DS #1 and #2 for hours and hours.

I think a nice wooden dollhouse would also be a great toy - Santa might bring one to our house this year.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#4 of 45 Old 12-05-2002, 07:42 AM

My girls love both their wooden doll house and their wood playhouse (out in the garden). The playhouse is great...it allows us to get outside and play, even in rainy Scotland.

My girls also both love dress-up stuff. They have a fairy outfit and a few other things, but not much...so we are planning to expand their dress-up collection this Christmas as their main present.

Any and all arts and crafts supplies go down well...beads to string into necklaces, collage supplies, different kinds of paints, etc.

Both of my girls also love little figurines/dolls/etc. that they can use to play in their doll house (or alternatively, that can be 'guests' in their playhouse for their tea parties).

And we have a small (plastic - sorry!) kitchen with lots of different pretend foods, plates, cups, utensils, etc. And they LOVE that...they play with that stuff all the time....

Just be careful not to buy too much! I went through all the Christmas stuff I have for the girls yesterday, and I've already gone overboard, and I thought I was being much more careful this year. So easily done, I'm afraid...
#5 of 45 Old 12-05-2002, 09:47 AM
Banned

These are what Kailey enjoys:

books
paints
crayons

baby dolls
her train set

refridgerator magnets
pots and pans
pouring and scooping toys

* her most favorite as of late.
#6 of 45 Old 12-05-2002, 11:18 AM

I made DD a Waldorf-style doll (Magic Cabin kit) when she was 3, I think. Betty is now Velveteen Rabbit real, and was just out front making snow angels with my DD!

Her train set; building materials of all sorts, and dress-up trunk.

Silk cloth squares: these are portable and versatile for dress up, for running with, for decorating her world.

Riding toys (we had an old wooden rocking horse someone gave us. Hector waits in the attic now)

Household toys (cooking equipment, etc.)
I think little ones appreciate the classic toys.
#7 of 45 Old 12-05-2002, 11:31 AM
Banned

Kailey is fascinated with clothes. A month or so ago I needed to go through her clothes and pack up the ones that were to small. The only way to be sure was for her to trty them on, and she did so happily. In fact after each outfit, would run into the living room to show daddy, and then come running back to try on another.

So...we are seriously considering getting her clothing for Christmas. Since we are tight on budget now, it would be like killing to birds with one stone.

Oh and we are definitely getting her music. She loves to sing and dance!
#8 of 45 Old 12-05-2002, 12:48 PM

When DS was a toddler, he LOVED his cozy coupe car. he used it every single day. would even drive it into his bedroom, haha.ag

we are getting it all cleaned up, and giving it to Macie for Christmas! hah. nothing like recycling!
#9 of 45 Old 12-05-2002, 01:38 PM

DD has a baby stroller and a baby doll that she plays with every day. She also loves wooden puzzles.
#10 of 45 Old 12-05-2002, 01:58 PM

Isabel's favorite toy of the moment is a play tent. It lends itself to all kinds of imaginative play.
#11 of 45 Old 12-05-2002, 02:10 PM

We just got a box of hand me down dinosaurs from a cousin, and they are a HUGE hit! They got us through the Community Thanksgiving Service like a dream! My son RARELY sits still, and usually participates in my husband's sermons. We ALL like the dinosaurs!

He also likes to play in the box that the dinosaurs came in.

He also likes the cat carrier right now. Especially if a cat will cooperate and play in it with him!
#12 of 45 Old 12-05-2002, 02:38 PM

I know this is not all 'natural parenting' my my ds LOVES LOVES LOVES his "Little People" (Fisher Price) and will literly play with them for HOURS. He has them interact with each other and lines them up in all kinds of weird formations (it is a bit creepy) But he LOVES them. They don't actually have to be the Little People brand - we have some from other playsets that he uses just as much - but he ADORES them.

Santa is brining a large wooden dollhouse with a wooden doll family and all the accessories for Christmas - I KNOW that Ds will go nuts over it!!!!!! I can't wait to see his face when he opens it!

He also loves: trainset, kitchen set, playdough, stickers (this is a HUGE hit and fun 'art' for him), cars and trucks, and those soft little beanie baby type animals (he as a bunch of them and wants me to nurse them ALL THE TIME LOL!)

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#13 of 45 Old 12-07-2002, 12:38 AM

I have to agree with the Magna Doodle and the Fisher Price Little People. My 26 MO dd LOVES LOVES these...so much that we bought her a new Magna Doodle( the one she has now the screen is almost black from it being used so much) and the additions to her Little People Farm playset, for Xmas. Also a big one for her are the alphabet magnets (and numbers) for the fridge.... SHe learned her primary colors from them and she enjoys puzzles too!
HTH!
#14 of 45 Old 12-07-2002, 01:26 AM
Banned

Grace~ Kailey LOVES LOVES LOVES doing "sticker" collages. Stickers are one of her favorite thigns to.

And I think the Little People are a good idea. Putting that on her list now.
#15 of 45 Old 12-07-2002, 05:08 AM

Farm animals (we add one or two to the set every so often); Duplo; train set (cheap version of Brio, from Target); books; puzzles; her own cassette player and selection of music cassettes.
#16 of 45 Old 12-07-2002, 01:48 PM

Any recommendations on cassette player brands?
#17 of 45 Old 12-07-2002, 02:48 PM

Does anyone know why most child sized adult tools (broom, mop, garden tools....) are aged for 3+? Do 1 yos really not get any use out of such toys? I want to get a broom set for her, but not if she won't use it for some time.
#18 of 45 Old 12-07-2002, 03:04 PM

I have a broom set for ds who is 18months. He used the broom a little bit, but then started using it more to try to smack at things above his head - on the table, on the counter, etc., so we finally had to put it away. I would give him his broom when I tried to sweep, but then he just wanted my broom. He never used the little dustpan. So, I think he needs to be a bit older before he will get much use out of these. It probably depends on the kid though.
#19 of 45 Old 12-07-2002, 03:48 PM

I *need* a kid broom...she;s using a small adult broom that came with a standup dustpan but I need something lighter. Sources?
#20 of 45 Old 12-07-2002, 03:54 PM

I saw a cleaning set at wal-Mart that came with a little broom, I think a mop and some other stuff. Sorry, I really didn't take a good look at it because my mother has already purchased a little broom for my ds for Christmas. I will ask her where she got it next time she calls.

Trish
#21 of 45 Old 12-07-2002, 04:41 PM

My son is 21 mos, and some of his current faves are:

Puppets/stuffed animals. He is into pretending now and loves to feed his animals and then put them down for a nap. He likes the puppet b/c his dad and I can give it a voice and make him talk. DS doesn't nurse his "babies" though! He gives them his sippy cup.

FP Little people farm. He likes playing with the animals. This was a hand me down, but we got another Little People set for Xmas - it's the circus I think.

Musical Instruments. We bought him a drum that came with maracas, a recorder, etc. We also have a kazoo and a xylophone. He likes making music.

Phones! But my son is totally and absolutely OBSESSED with phones. So we have all sorts of them for him to play with. I mean, his obsession borders on OCD, but I hear most kids this age love them as well.

Slippers, hats, any clothes he can put on himself.

We bought him a vacuum for Xmas, I hope he likes it. He sure likes watching us vacuum and trying to help. We also bought some pretend food and I'm getting him a Dr kit. His imagination is bursting, so I want to foster that as much as possible.

Keep the great ideas coming, ladies. The tape player is great! I never thought of that even though DS loves music.

Jenn

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#22 of 45 Old 12-07-2002, 06:40 PM

I am looking at a set from magic cabin

http://www.magiccabin.com/shop/produ...tem_num=828085
#23 of 45 Old 12-09-2002, 04:32 AM

I got DS a little broom from Toys R Us. They also had mops and vacuum cleaners. He DOES play with it pretty well so far and he is only 18 mo old. I got it for him bc he adores the Swiffer mop but it is hard for him to control.
#24 of 45 Old 12-09-2002, 10:42 AM

I checked - our incredibly durable and easy-to-use tape player is made by Fisher-Price.
#25 of 45 Old 12-09-2002, 01:16 PM

Great, 3boysmom, thanks for checking! Is this it?

http://www.etoys.com/genProduct.html...=17&ls=default
#26 of 45 Old 12-09-2002, 01:43 PM

Sozobe ~

Well, ours is now about 10 years old, but that one looks like a newer version of what we have. Has all the same features, just snazzier colors! My youngest (5) is singing his heart out into the microphone right now!
#27 of 45 Old 12-09-2002, 03:46 PM

vacuum (big favorite)
doll & stroller
dress up shoes
little people
magna doodle - kids keep using this into their teens, by the way!

good luck
#28 of 45 Old 12-10-2002, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Wow,

These ideas are great. My sister thinks I am beimg silly for recommending all sorts of educational toys, but that is what she plays with. Not with the mind candy.

Thanks
#29 of 45 Old 12-10-2002, 04:16 PM

I saw a whole cleaning set at KBToys. It had a broom and vaccuum as well as a few other smaller things- don't remember exactly what.

My DD, 2 1/2, loves her kitchen, doll strollers, new wooden bunk beds for the baby dolls and new wooden high chair for the babies. We celebrate Hanukah so she already got her gifts. She also got a sling to carry her babies in and has been using it daily.
#30 of 45 Old 12-10-2002, 08:19 PM

thanks for the help everyone! I'll start looking. (hey, and I got a free toy vacuum the other month from my vacuum store when i bought a new one!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page