vomiting son - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2002, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need a little help.
DS is 17months old. Yesterday he was perfectly fine. He ate a little lunch (mac and cheese). Little.

Then for dinner we all went out and he had Mac and cheese again, but this time he ate it right up. We had dinner on the later side around 9:00 because he took a late nap.

anyway, around 11:30 he got in bed with me had a little booby and then immidately threw up the mac/cheese. then we cleaned up the bed and him and me and then I gave him a little more booby and he threw up. Then he and I got in the tub because we were a mess and he wanted booby and eventhough I was a bit suscipicious I gave it to him, and then there, in the tub it threw up.

He has no fever. He doesn't appear to be sick, no lethargy, etc. Just throwing up.

then at 6:00 this morning he demanded booby, I gave it to him and he threw up about 15 minutes later.

okay, just before I went to bed I took my vitamins and two spirulina tablets. I've taken spirulina for the last ten days and I dont think that is the issue and I've been taking vitamins all along.

I had a 1/2 cup of coffee that had chickory in it around 5pm. but I think if that was the culprit it is out my breast by 6am.....

I don't know. Tell me about vomiting toddlers.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2002, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That's how my kids behaved when they had a stomach bug.

All I can say is to keep offering, SOME of it may be staying down and keeping him hydrated. If possible, give him some water as well. And then you'll just have to ride it out. Took two days with my kids.

Maybe someone else will have some better suggestions for you (I hope). It really stinks when they're sick like this.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 12-08-2002, 05:35 PM

Yes keep offering the breast, offer other liquids too (like water, diluted juice, maybe a fruit juicepopsicle even ?), it does sound like a stomach virus IMO. Poor little guy, just try to keep him hydrated www.AskDrSears.com probably has some good basic care instructions for vomiting toddlers.

Good luck !
Old 12-08-2002, 11:05 PM

When my son has had stomach viruses, I withold food or liquid for an hour or two, then reintroduce only liquids in very small amounts, slowly increasing the quantities if he keeps it down. That is pretty tough to do with breastmilk, but I've done it. I used pedialyte after he was weaned.

Our clinic gives us this whole rehydration schedule to use with a vomiting child (assuming that child is not too young or already dangerously dehydrated). Let me know if you need me to look it up and write their instructions in here.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:57 PM

You'll know for sure if he starts having foul (and I mean *foul*) smelling diarreah for a week or so. My son vomited for a day and then the next "phase" kicked in.

Just keep nursing him as much as he will allow. And some Drs are still pretty clueless about breastmilk and will tell you to stop giving him the "milk" in favor of pedialyte. Don't listen. Oh and one more piece of advice I have heard, if you do want to give something other than breastmilk, I hard gatorade is much more palatable than pedialyte. My son wouldn't touch the pedialyte.

Good luck. Isn't being vomited on fun? My MIL was here when DS had it and he would hang out with her or DH and then come to me to puke. I guess momma was the only one good enough to throw up on. LOL!

Jenn

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
Old 12-09-2002, 02:05 AM

I would go for the Gatorade. It is not a good thing for the little guy to keep vomiting even if some of the breastmilk is staying down. Breastmilk is rich and may not be the best liquid for him to ingest right now.

And make sure you give him small, small amounts every half hour or so.

Good luck!

LoveBeads
Maddy Moo - 2.5
Old 12-09-2002, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much you guys. You were all so helpful! Well, my boy's last vomit was the one I mentioned at 10:30am. He has not vomited since. I gave him a lot of booby based on all your suggestions and I gave him a lot of water. but basically that vomiting of last night and the vomiting early in the morning were the real issues. Then as you all predicted the very smelly diarreah.

I did speak to a doctor, his doctor is on vacation and I left a message with the fill in doc. But because I could see it wasn't an emergency, I didn't leave it on the emergency line, just the regular line and he didn't get back to me for a few hours. By that time I had received all your emails and felt so much better and he really didn't tell me anything that you guys hadn't.

He said it is probably a virus in the intestine which is going around and usually shows up in the winter. I'm sure he picked it up at a couple of play areas which we go to regularly. Oh, well.

I feel so much better knowing you guys are there....it really helped. It was my first virus. Well, my boy's first virus.

Coincidentally, on friday I made a special call to my friend who has a chiropractic/nutrional business in colorado and demand she give me the name of the best immunity boosters. I told her I wanted to start building up my son's immunity. She and her husband are so picky and so well researched and constantly updating their knowledge that I knew she would have a good one. She recommended this place inNYC. I called and ordered it adn can't wait to give it to my boy so we can see how he does this winter.
Although, the timing was curious, maybe I "knew" somethign was up.
Thank you again MDC'rs you are all brilliant.

Old 12-09-2002, 12:34 PM

Good to hear your little one is doing fine. If you don't mind, could you share the immunity booster? My son goes to daycare 3x/week and plays with lots of friends other days and is always picking stuff up. Last winter we had 5 colds. So far this winter we have had 2 and today he woke with a fever (no other symptoms thoigh : )

So even with BFing, his system needs a boost!

Thanks,
Jenn

If it is considered spam, you could PM.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
Old 12-09-2002, 01:22 PM

We're in the middle of a barf-o-rama, too--or, I hope, at the tail end. I'd assumed it's a stomach virus as well.

What do folks recommend for little ones? I'm starting work this week, and ds will be in a "high exposure" environment. Not daycare, but plenty of microbes! And, needless to say, bfing will naturally decrease...he's 18 months.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

The immunity booster

1 800 933 9440 (Klabin Group)...George Klabin is the owner of the company. I spoke to his partner charles, who explained to me, very detailed how immunity boosters work and theirs in particular. I bought a package of 30 which should last two months for my son. Pretty much winter in my community.

Like I said my friends are so, so, so picky that is why I went with their recommendation. People fly from all over the country to go to their office for treatments. I figure they know the best one.

charles was very, very helpful and very nice. And they are on Broadway and 73rd in NYC of all places..... right where I used to live...

Old 12-09-2002, 08:05 PM
Liz

We had a vomiting session like that last year caused by a stomach bug. Watch out because it can be very contagious. It went through our whole family right up to grandparents who'd only seen him briefly. It was really debilitating (no immune booster would have protected us). Also be aware that he will probably not fully recover for weeks. My ds didn't eat more than a few bites a meal for about a month - really freaked me out. Also if it happens again I have had very good luck with Saltines to stop the puking followed by peppermint tea to soothe the stomach.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

I would say he's somewhere around 50-75% back to eating.
In addition I have been putting a little mint tea diluted with water in his bottle. He really likes. The only thing I don't like is that it looks like apple juice and I'm sure people think I'm serving him apple juice. I hate juice.

oh, well.

User Tag List