Should I worry about weight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2002, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 16 months old and for the first year was in the 90th percentile for weight and height. At her 12 month checkup her weight had dropped to the 75th which I thought was expected due to bf'ing and therefore slimming down. I didn't take her in for her 15 month check-up yet, but according to the growth charts on line she has dropped to between the 50th and 75th percentile for both height and weight. She nurses all the time and acts happy and alert. However, while she likes all food (can't eat dairy, though) she doesn't eat a lot. I've been pushing iron and therefore I'm not worried about that, just don't know if I should be concerned in general.

I'd like to do my research here before I go into the pediatrician and here what she has to say. Is it time to make high protein shakes?

Thanks!

homeschooling mamma to dd1 7/01 , dd2 5/05, and '00, '04, '07, 6/09, 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2002, 06:47 PM

I wouldn't be concerned about it. If the baby drops to 5th or 0 percentile, then I would be concerned. I certainly wouldn't give it a moment's thought for 50th - 75th, it is quite normal to go up and down like that. Remember, the difference between the 50th percentile and the 90th may only be a pound or two.

LoveBeads
Maddy Moo - 2.5
Old 12-09-2002, 09:10 PM

My son's 16mths and he's in the 90% range weighing in at 12.040kg

I wouldn't panic about his weight going down to 75% unless he becomes underweight (not sure how heavy that is or which % it's on.)
Old 12-09-2002, 09:17 PM

I wouldn't worry at all. As long as he is feeding, and eating some foods, And active and nothing else seems wrong or out of the ordanary.

All the kids in my family were at 5% and 10% on those charts. I am now 5'7" healthy andnothing wrong. I think to many people base things on those charts! Just make sure he is healthy, weight gain / loss does not tell you much on health unless it is a drastic change.

And making a kids eat to much protien to quick damages their systems. My friend did that with her son, and now he is has a protien intake problem. Not sure the name of it but he can only eat very certin things. So be careful

User Tag List