So, are all 2 year olds this smart? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so bean is our first baby, and she is 2 now (in oct)
And I"m so amazed with how much she knows!

She can sing her ABC's, count to 11, recognize those numbers in print, do puzzles up to 8 pieces without blinking!
She got an alphabet lower case puzzle out for the first time yesterday and she put the whole thing together in 3 minutes!

I assume this is probably normal behavior for 2 year olds, but since I've never really been around one, I don't know?
She seems so bright to me and my dh!

Oh, and a little quirky too...
For example, she likes ORDER! She lines up all of her toys and dolls so they are always in a line or circle and facing the same direction (usually facing a window)
She is always lining things up and putting them in some sort of order.

When she took out her puzzle pieces, she took them all out and laid them in lines,then put them all back in the reverse order...every letter of the alphabet!

I think it is so cool watching them develop their minds like this!

Tell me more about 2 year olds and and 3 year olds !
#2 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 02:11 PM

Sounds like you have one smart cookie to me!

You must be working with her a lot...my neice just turned 3 and can't count to 11 or say her whole alphabet.....or do puzzles more than 4 peices for that matter....

It is amazing to see how fast children learn when put in a nurturing environment!
#3 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sure that being a SAHM has a lot to do with it...we do a lot of reading, singing, and puzzles together (and other things )
just to keep ourselves entertained!

:LOL
#4 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 05:43 PM

I think she is probably smarter than average in many areas. My DS was/is very similar -- could do all of that and did the lining up things too. He was speaking in full, complete sentences at 20 months, knew all his colors, could count to ten in four languages, quote entire picture books (with say 20 paragraphs) word for word etc. before 2 years. Now at age 5 he does simple addiiton and subtraction in his head easily (10 - 4, 15 + 3) and has the vocabulary of a much older child. And nope, we didn't really work with him much, he just picked it up. OK, we did teach him the counting in other languages, but it only took telling him once or twice before he got it.
#5 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 05:50 PM

LaLa,

A is like that, too! She'll be 30 months on Fri. I realized just today that A can recognize letters up to E and can learn a song in a day.

It amazing how much they learn when you put it to music. She can also spell her own name and tell what her mommy, daddy, and sister's names are.

I think that lining things up and repetition are hallmarks of this age. She is always lining up dolls and cars (but not her books on the bookshelf--wonder why?). And she gets very fixated on things--for example she has a MRs. Potato Head and once my mom put the lips on the top of the head. Now she always says, "Lips go on top!"

And the long, long sentences that come out of her mouth!
#6 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 05:51 PM

This is a great outlet to boast a little about our toddlers. I would never tell my friends these things.

My 2 yo (Sept.) started telling us our phone number this week. She must hear us say it to people on the phone.

LaLa keep working with your toddler but be weary of pushing her. Ie flashcards, memorization. Kids can easily get turned off to learing at a young age.
#7 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

oh fun!

It's so cool to hear what other children are doing!

Bean doesn't really speak that well, yet, but that's ok. I know her language!
teehee...I kind of like it that way

In fact, she never even said mommy until she was about 18 months old. She said Daddy, and Grandpa and Grandma, and even doggie, but no Mommy!
WAHHH!!!

It is just so incredible to see how they pick things up so quickly!
And I've learned i have to be careful what she is exposed to also...

Bean watches PBS in the morning, and we watch Seseme Street. Well, she decided to start EATING like Cookie Monster does.
She says "I'm cookie"
then that is followed by "yum yum yum yum..."
while she demolishes everything in her path!
LOL

So, we try to avoid that portion of seseme street now
#8 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 06:24 PM

It's amazing how our little ones can mesmerize us with their love of learning, isn't it?

My Love is almost three and a half, and he has not yet ceased to amaze us both.........he was doing the alphabet thing before he could even talk -- he'd be able to point/identify any letter by his 1st bday (we had this really cool abacus-style ABC tile-turning toy that should get most of the credit) and by 18 months, he was naming them all himself! As soon as the words started forming, his interest in learning grew even more! He will sing you the entire Star Spangled Banner word for word ~ although I'm sure he doesn't know what "gallantly" means, or what a "rampart" is....what IS a rampart, anyway??! (since just before he turned two)....maybe it's because of all the baseball games we've gone to! He is starting to verbally spell familiar words -- his name, STOP, Fred Meyer.........all the signs he's seen frequently over the past couple of years! It's pretty funny sometimes, because he's at the point where he can "read" all the letters of the alphabet, and he knows the sounds each one makes, but he can't read yet. So when we're in the car he'll say really quickly, "Momma, what does f-i-r-e-s-t-n spell?" (He tries to "read" it to me so fast....I get the giggles a lot when he does it!) And I've usually passed whatever sign he happens to be looking at by the time he tells me all the letters, so sometimes I'll have to improvise, or just guess, but the answer to the above spelling question is: Firestone (the one by our house has a very tall sign with neon letters that grab his attention every time we're in that area!).

How sweet your little girl sounds. The image of her tiny self lining up all her toys in neat little rows facing the window (how considerate of her to give them something pleasant to look at!!) just warms my heart! I think all children are born with an innate sense of wonder and discovery.........it just takes a patient and gentle soul to guide them into the love of learning and being a full-time Mom really gives the opportunity for comfortable self-paced learning in your own element, whether it be the living room floor or under the covers sunggled up in bed! I also feel very fortunate to have the option of being with my son all day, and I will never tire of the look he gets when he's trying to figure out how something works! And the smile of acheivement when he "gets it".

Besides, you don't even really have to try too hard.....if our children see us enjoying ourselves & having a good time, then they'll just follow our example & approach things with excitement and curiosity, right?! So I think you and your dh should take lots of credit for her apparent genius-streak. After all, you spend the time not only to notice, but to nurture as well. You should be so proud!

Oh, and keep up with the singing, but some advice: rotate the songs you sing!!! My Isaac started saying/singing EVERYTHING to the tune of "This old man" this summer (right about his 3rd bday)! I guess I had been singing that one quite a bit on our walks & in the car! It was adorable and ingenious (to us!) at first, but eventually became slightly annoying..........so I had to make a concerted effort to NOT sing that song for a couple weeks, and then he did start adding our other old favorites to his playlist!! Every time he'd open his mouth, it was that tune.......it was very funny, and I miss the innocent little "quirks" that are gone all too quickly.

Thanks for sharing! It got me thinking back on my little guy's amazing journey to where we are now, and how cool it really was! ..........And there's so much more coolness yet to come!!
#9 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 06:54 PM

It is nice to hear parents bragging a little about their kids--- they are all special in their own ways! I love it! I am constantly amazed at how different my two boys are each and every day, but I am not really able to brag around the other parents IRL...

My first ds had 6 words at 6 months-- kitty, bubble, hi, bye bye, mama, dada and was speaking full sentences by 14 months. He identified colors at a birthday party at 9 months old on a toy. His grandfather laughed when we told him this and said "Sure, he did. So, what color is this?" To which ds answered him correctly on each one. He could also count to 20 by 18 months old! By the time he was 4 years old, he literally woke up on his birthday and counted to 100! Needless to say, he was also able to read fluently by age 4, as well.

My second ds was also speaking early, as well ( even though everyone said it wouldn't happen with the second one, too ). He was speaking in full sentences by 18 months. But, his true talent is art. He sculpts, paints, and draws amazing things and he just turned three! We literally spend hours each day providing him with the tools that he needs. I actually had to buy an art book to learn how to draw some of the things that he wanted. And music, he started singing from the time that he could talk, "Baa, Baa Black Sheep" and others before a year old. Right now, he loves Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker", as well as Jerry Garcia and David Grisman's blue grass. "Kitaar" for guitar was actually his second word after "Mama".

Now, I should add that my oldest did not walk until 14 months old and by that time he was talking in full sentences and has trouble with art projects like coloring, cutting or writing. In contrast, my youngest walked by 10 months, talked early, is amazing in art work, but could not correctly identify his colors until he was 2 and a 1/2 and has no interest in learning his letters even though he loves to be read to. Soooo... I guess that it all evens out with them.

Thanks for letting me brag
#10 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
It is amazing to see how fast children learn when put in a nurturing environment
OUCH! We have a nurturing environment here too, yet Kailey (who will be two in Feb) can not do many of those things. She loves puzzles though, but doesn't speak yet.

BUT...she can take a part and put back together a 1965 Chevy in less than 6 hours
#11 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 07:22 PM

I just wanted to share one of my favorite stories about my older son, now 7.

When he was about 18 months old, he was "helping" his uncle work on the car, so he was given a screwdriver to "fix" with while his uncle was under the hood. About a minute and a half later his uncle heard a noise, he stood up and looked down to find that my son had removed the headlight!!

Needless to say, he was supervised with tools from then on! He still likes to take things apart..his stepfather now supplies him with computer parts that aren't working to "dissect", and he gets to help build new computers..
#12 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 07:58 PM

DiaperDiva ~ I am sure your wonderful Kailey excels in other areas and is as smart & loving as she can be! I was a little bit apprehensive bragging as I did, because I didn't want to offend anyone (or seem to be sucking the fun right out of it!) who's babe may not be doing the things mentioned here at an early age. I'm sure everyone feels the same way: our children are absolutely perfect just as they are, and they will learn & acheive at their own pace, which happens to be just right for them!!

But I was curious about the Chevy comment..........are you talkin models here, because we've got a 79 Caprice that could use a little work...... !!hee hee!

I'm having fun reading all these wonderful boasts!
#13 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 08:40 PM
Banned

SHAY~ LOL! I was not offended.

That is wild about the 79 Caprice, because we have an 81 caprice! Kaile yhas been tuning it up for a few months now LOL!

I guess I can join in the bragging to....

Kailey loves dressing herself, from diaper cover on up. She also does great brushing her teeth. She is careful to chomp her teeth together and brush away. She loves helping me do the dishes and rinses and puts them in the dishdrainer herself.

She too loves puzzles and is a pro at the number and alphabet ones we have.

Oh and she loves to sing and dance.
#14 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 09:49 PM

wow those kids are smart.

Audrey is almost 3 1/2, and still doesn't know the whole alphabet (but she identifies most letters with a word that starts with the letter) and can count to seventeen or so with only a few missers.
She doesn't dress herself and only makes small puzzles.

But she's an incredible artist. She draws recognizable people and a whole zoo of distinctive animals, and she criticizes me when I miss a whisker on a cat And she plays out whole days with her stuffed animals, making them interact in a way that's not quite AP ("you HAVE to do this now"), and then tells them that they just happen to have strict mamas because not every kid is lucky
#15 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 10:44 PM

I love reading what other people's toddlers can do. I spent several months worrying about dd and trying to slow her down because I was so concerned that she was going to find it hard to mix with other kids her age later on. Then my wonderful pediatrician told me that unless I locked her in a room away from the world, I couldnt stop her and to get on with it and encourage her all I can. Since then I've lightened up about it, but I have to admit I still worry about school or whether or not to homeschool.

Eg she knew most of her colours and shapes, and a lot of letters by her first birthday. By 18 months she knew them all. Now she is 26 months and knows all our names and several of her friends' names too, often from badges at classes etc. She works out the sound of a lot of words, eg she carried the 'b' from an alphabet puzzle upstairs last week and put it on the bed, saying 'B is for bed'.

Like your dd, Lala, she lines up toys and sorts them out really neatly (just like her dad, who is an engineer). Her lego models are amazing, and her concentration is really good. She learns a new song after hearing it once (just like dh who memorises songs from the radio after one hearing).

It's so funny though, because at classes she is silent and doesnt participate. People who don't know her ask me (often condescendingly) if she can talk yet. I smile and nod. She talks non stop in full sentences, and has been doing so for a year.

It's hard though becasue it is a special need, but not one you can easily talk about. I find it challegning to keep up with her and keep stimulating her without 'hothousing' her. When people say things like 'Oh, they all catch up in the end" I get so frustrated. They miss the point completely and I often feel that my concerns are dismissed, or that I'm seen to just be bragging, But I worry about how she'd cope in Kindergarten if she was expected to learn the alphabet, and I dont want her accelerated through grades. So maybe homeschooling will be our only option.

Anyway, I've bragged enough - it's someone else's turn!
#16 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 11:21 PM

Um, hey moms of all those Rhodes Scholars. Here's an idea: teach them their phone number. Just an idea. If they can learn all those other things...it can't hurt. It could help.

#17 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 11:46 PM
Banned

There is a disorder called something- lexia. It's the opposite of dislexia, where the child is obsessed with learning numbers and letters, just can't stop. A lot of these children can read and write by age TWO! But the down fall is that they can't fit in to mainstream classes(and is that really a bad thing? ) Also they find later in life these children/young adults have difficulty socializing with their peers, and tend to be social outcasts

But I don't think anyone's child has that here, it just reminded me of that.

I think everyone's child here seems pretty darn impressive, and in a good way I also think that they are learning different things at different times, so yes, in the end they will all even out, although some will keep speeding along into the future. They HAVE to, I mean who else is going to lead our country into a social revelution? And who is going to deliver my children's children?
#18 of 28 Old 12-10-2002, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaLa
Ok, so bean is our first baby, and she is 2 now (in oct)
And I"m so amazed with how much she knows!

She can sing her ABC's, count to 11, recognize those numbers in print, do puzzles up to 8 pieces without blinking!
She got an alphabet lower case puzzle out for the first time yesterday and she put the whole thing together in 3 minutes!

I assume this is probably normal behavior for 2 year olds, but since I've never really been around one, I don't know?
She seems so bright to me and my dh!

Tell me more about 2 year olds and and 3 year olds !
My girl turned 2 in October. Funny , she also counts to 11- what a silly place to stop. She sings the ABC song, still a bit blurred though. And knows all her colors- just not what they match to!

[Marley holding up a red apple proclaiming ' BLUE MAMA!!"

Loves to dress herself, hat, shoes socks clothes, panties and of course a purse and jewelry.

She just started asking "Why?" after everything. I think she gets that from her 6 year old sister.

I am hanging on to babyhood as long as possible with this one, but she is passing me by.....
#19 of 28 Old 12-11-2002, 03:05 AM

Edited because most of my post sounded like a brag, and I didn't want to do that.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#20 of 28 Old 12-11-2002, 04:17 AM

Okay Diaper Diva, now you've got me worried about the "-lexia thing". My ds was really into letters VERY early. At 7 and 8 months, he started noticing large letters on signs and wanting to know what they were. Since he didn't talk yet, it took me a while to figure out what he wanted, but one day we were walking into Lowe's and he was pointing at the sign on the front of the store and I finally figured it out. Once I told him what the letters were, he seemed satisfied, and started pointing out more and more all the time. For Christmas, SIL gave him a set of alphabet blocks, and that was when I accidentally realized that he could identify ALL the letters. By 16 mos, he could say the alphabet (though he wasn't really talking yet and it was a little garbled) and I also heard him counting to 10 one day while playing (no idea where he picked that up!).

Now, at 2 1/2, he can count to 100, recognizes a handful of words by sight, and has completely memorized tons of storybooks. One day we were at the mall and out of the blue he starts reciting Dr. Suess's ABC--he knew the whole thing by heart! I guess it shouldn't surprise me, as we've read all those books so many times that I know them by heart too . But he does seem somewhat obsessed with numbers right now. He wants to count all the time, and notices numbers everywhere. He is also very orderly and always does that lining up the toys thing. Please tell me I shouldn't worry!
#21 of 28 Old 12-11-2002, 08:11 AM

My daughter turns three in 2 more months :-)

Anyhow...

She can count to 12.

She cannot say her ABCs (although goodness knows she tries, it comes out gibberish).

She can do complex puzzles (I think the most she does is a 20-piece one), and informal addition and subtraction (Mommy took one of Tony's toys and now he just has two, for example). She has never put shoes on the wrong feet or put a shirt or pair of shorts on backwards. She rarely falls or loses her balance, even when doing complex things like forward/backward rolls, climbing all over play structures, etc. We figure she is very good with her spatial abilities, and that she just isn't as talented with her visual abilities (sure she talks just fine, but she isn't into character recognition or anything like that).

Oh, and she also draws rather detailed pictures. Although we don't know what they are until we ask her, they are symbolically complete: the giraffes have long knecks and swishy tails and eyes and noses and spots...fish have scales, things like that.

It is amazing how different kids are in this age range. I see it when I help out in her Sunday School class; these kids are diverse and each one has strong and 'weak' points.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#22 of 28 Old 12-11-2002, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, you all have such smart kids!
:LOL

I dont push bean at all with letters and numbers. I just go with her lead.

She has favorite books, favorite puzzles...we just follow those.

I try to follow the Montessori approach to learning, but she often isn't interested in some of the methods and she likes to skip around. So we go with the flow.

I must say, I don't think it means ANYTHING is wrong if kids aren't doing these things until they are older.

My oldest brother didn't speak a word until he was 4, but he is incredibly intelligent, physically fit, well adjusted, healthy etc.
He is one of the smartest people I have ever known with a very high IQ, yet he's not "brainy".

So, I wouldn't worry in the least if your child isn't counting or talking yet because it really doesn't mean a thing! They truly do grow at such different stages and ages, but it blows my mind to see it all unfold for the first time...I just have to gush!
#23 of 28 Old 12-11-2002, 11:53 AM
Banned

The disorder I was referring to is called hyperleixa- WHEW! Took me forever to remember the name. Here is what it is:

What is Hyperlexia?

Edited for copyright reasons
#24 of 28 Old 12-11-2002, 12:34 PM

Someone once suggested that Abi had that kind of disorder too, and I did worry about it for awhile. I mean everyone wants their child to be normal and not have any special challenges. No she does not have it, she just likes to learn. We are a big reading family and I think she's picked up on that the way some kids pick up on TV shows. She's also socially fine, although she went through a shy stage. She's perfectly normal. I realize that people are trying to be helpful when suggesting certain disorders, and it's educational, but it also causes parents a lot of worry. There is a Advanced Toddlers board on a certain popular mainstream forum on the net if anyone's interested. They have a lot of support and resources to offer. PM me for the URL if you want it.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#25 of 28 Old 12-11-2002, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

USAmmama,
We have read so much about the high rise in autism, that when bean is going through her sequencing and ordering frenzies we have questioned if she may be one of those children, but even if she was, I would be just as proud of her

I know what you mean about causing worry, but I am not worried about my own child being "normal".
Normal or not, I have enough love in my heart, and so does dh, so luckily we don't loose sleep over that issue

Others, like my SIL, went to the extremes of getting an amnio done to make sure her baby would be "normal".
I have to wonder why? I guess it is weird to me because I would not do anything differently even if they came back with something "abnormal". She/he would still be my baby, ....

sorry if I'm going Off Topic!
#26 of 28 Old 12-11-2002, 12:43 PM

Wow! I thought this thread was about bragging about our toddlers. When did this turn into a thread about learing disorders?

I appreciate hearing everyone's points of views, but often people take on the voice of doom and gloom. nikirj, your little one sounds like a normal, happy child. Brag away!
#27 of 28 Old 12-11-2002, 01:29 PM
Banned

Anyway, I only posted the info because I couldn't remember the name of the disorder and I wanted to give accurate information. It was just an intersting subject and I in NO WAY implied anyone's children had a disorder.

And while we are on the subject it really IRKS me to no end when I hear how a child's intelligence has to do with how nurturing your home is, or how much time you invest in your child.

It makes me feel like less of a parent or that something is WRONG with MY daughter!!! I do everything listed above. We both love to read and read books every day with Kailey. We talk about the character's in the books, what they are wearing, etc. In our every day lives we talk about the world around us, we count, we sing songs, including the alphabet, and other things. We try to stimulate her as much as possible, and encourage her curiousity.

YET she STILL does not do the things listed here. So when I see things like "nurturing environment" "quality time" it bugs the crud out of me!!
#28 of 28 Old 12-11-2002, 02:33 PM

DD~

I am sorry to have offended you! I was the one who originally posted about nurturing environment....but I didn't mean that if a child isn't doing those things (counting, reading, recognizing letters....) that they are not nurtured.

I had mentioned in my post about how my neice (just turned 3) isn't doing those things...but it is because she isn't getting the nurturing she needs. Her mom plants her in front of the tv all day and plays movie after movie for her. She doesn't read to her or interact much with her at all. My sis-in-law is a very lazy mom when it comes to things like that. My neice would probably be doing those things if her mom did work with her. Same with my nephew (same mom), he has to have tutoring after school 3 days a week b/c his mom doesn't want to work with him at home. Mind you, she is a SAHM.....doesn't have any outside obligations...is pretty much home all the time...so why doesn't she work with her kids? I have no idea!:

DD~ I am sure your little one is very bright, kids often display those qualities in different areas tho. I bet she is very nurturing b/c she sees that at home. She probably picks up on how you take such good care of her and she wants to take good care of others too. There is nothing wrong when a child isn't counting, or singing ABCs at the age of 2...in fact that is quite normal. So, again...I am very sorry to have sounded rude...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page