Afraid of the plug.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-11-2002, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD is 29 months, we usually co-bathe in the winter, she takes baths by herself in the summer. About 4 days ago she suddenly started crying in the tub, saying she was afraid of the plug. i try to ask her why but she doesn't tell me, just cries more. 2 nights ago she didn't want to get in, i said ok & got in myself, within a few seconds she wanted in too. She started playing and doing her usual thing, then suddenly stopped looked at me & started crying about the plug. I then washed her quick & she got out, then waited for me to wash & get out. I try to reassure her that it won't hurt her but that doesn't seem to matter. She has recently discovered she loves showers, should we just do those for a while? I'm not sure what to do since bath time has become a ritual in the evening.
#2 of 6 Old 12-11-2002, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe you could tell her that it is there to protect her. It is possible that if you can convince her that this plug is there just for her to have a safe bath, she might be okay.

Mir
#3 of 6 Old 12-11-2002, 04:52 PM

I'd go with it, take showers with her instead and let that become a new ritual. Maybe she'll tell you what made her afraid eventually, or maybe it will blow over once she's been showering for awhile and forgotten about the plug.
Alternatively, you could try covering the plug with something, a washcloth or something heavy enough to stay on the bottom. Or you could sit in front of the plug so she cant see it (not as comfortable for you, but if you wanted to stay in the bath maybe that would help)
#4 of 6 Old 12-11-2002, 04:58 PM

is she affraid of the drain that's under the plug?

i remember reading somewhere a while back that some kids are affraid of "going down the drain"

IF that's the case, maybe use on of her bath toys to show her that it can't go down the drain, so she wouldn't either?

best of luck!!
and hey, she might just forget all about it after a few days in the shower and be fine
#5 of 6 Old 12-11-2002, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Sahara
Or you could sit in front of the plug so she cant see it (not as comfortable for you, but if you wanted to stay in the bath maybe that would help)
We have a garden tub so the plug is in the middle, unfortunately I tried covering it, didn't work I will definately go with teh showers to see if she'll tell me why.
Quote:
Originally posted by Chi-Chi Mama
is she affraid of the drain that's under the plug?

i remember reading somewhere a while back that some kids are affraid of "going down the drain"

IF that's the case, maybe use on of her bath toys to show her that it can't go down the drain, so she wouldn't either?
She says the plug but I suspect the it's the drain. I'll try the toy idea next time we get in. Thanks!
#6 of 6 Old 12-11-2002, 09:01 PM

What chi-chi said. I had a conversation with dd quite a while back, when she was signing but not yet talking, when she said something like "water go bye bye -- me not want go bye bye!!!" I explained to her that she couldn't fit down the drain, and we poked at it for a bit, and she felt better.

Off topic, but reminded me -- we have a system where my husband puts a scarf over the door when he leaves in the morning, to help me know what time it is. (I can't see well at all without my glasses and don't want to leave my watch where dd can get at it.) Dd started being really scared of what I thought was the shadow cast by the door when she went to sleep. Eventually it developed that she was spooked by the scarf magically "appearing" -- she kept craning her head around as she was falling asleep to catch it in the act. We explained that Papa put it there when she was asleep, and she has calmed down immensely.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page