~Nov/Dec 2003 Toddlers~ September Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 104 Old 09-04-2005, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought I'd start the new thread since the August one was getting buried.

Liz ... are you still ok? Is there anything you need? I've been thinking about you a lot.

Is anyone else just profoundly depressed about Katrina and her aftermath? I have spent most of the week on the verge of tears and just feeling so sad and angry. I just can't believe how awful everything has been and continues to be.

Anyway ... sorry for the bummer, but it makes all the other annoyances of life seem so trivial and unimportant, yk?
#2 of 104 Old 09-04-2005, 03:00 PM

Tears aren't hard to come by around here lately. I've been so hormonal lately. I can't watch the tv because it gets to me so bad. Some people that dh works with put together some boxes of blankets, toys, clothes, etc. to take to the Red Cross and they were told to hold on to them that they only want $$ right now. There are some people closer to the hurricane zone who are taking donations to distribute so we may try to send them there instead.

Yes, Liz, are you OK? Is there anything you need right now??

Yes, our minor complaints and problems do seem so trivial right now, don't they? for everyone
#3 of 104 Old 09-04-2005, 04:43 PM
bec

I saw a series of videos by a woman who has a sling website. She was giving examples of how to carry babies and kids with slings made from pants and towels, etc. She also had a listing of about 10 members of her family that live in Biloxi that she hasn't heard from. She sounded on the verge of tears in each video, and it brought me to tears when I saw it and whenever I speak about it.

We have donated money to the Red Cross and my AP group with a LLL group are trying to gather enough stuff to ship down on our own. There's also a collection being taken by my credit union for stuff to be trucked down.

And I feel so helpless that this is all I can do. Yes, total bummer. My DH's aunt and uncle live outside New Orleans, but evacuated safely to Houston. Unfortunately, he had open heart surgery just a few weeks before the storm, and had been out of the hospital for less than a week when they had to pick up and leave. He needs to be resting quietly and comfortably, rather than looking for new housing, and worrying about his home!

Liz - I hope everything is all right, and that you and your family are safe. Please let us know if you need anything at all!

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#4 of 104 Old 09-04-2005, 07:24 PM

My thanks to all of you for your thoughts and concerns. But we were spared by the storm- our parish never lost power, amazingly enough. We are hosting thousands of refugees from NO in our Cajundome. DH has been volunteering there, helping them on computers locate family and friends, and fill out FEMA forms etc. He said that they are relavitvely happy at the Cajundome. The food is good, they aren't too crowded, and they have shower facilities. THe response in our community has been amazing. We have about 1000 new public schoool students, and the school system, although about bankrupt, has accepted them with open arms. We also have employers passing out available jobs for these people. DH said that it was amazing. Next week, we are making sandwiches at our church for the survivers. WHen I get over this awful sinus infection, I hope to volunteer as well. I feel so helpless sitting here blowing my nose.

As I see the pictures and hear from my friends that still live in NO, I can't help but lose it. I lived there for 10 years, and still would if I hadn't met DH, and I can't help but selfishly mourn my second home. Most of my friends have been accounted for, and most have their homes more or less intact,but I am still waiting to hear from some of them. Phone service won't be up there for some thime,and cell service has been awful all over the gult coast,including here.

I can't watch the coverage on TV- the spin that the "journalists" have put on everything just makes my blood boil. : They could have been a huge help with the releif effort with thier communications- our local agencies had NONE and no way to communicate with those on the ground. Many of my friends' DHs went down there with boats to helps with the rescues- it was sooooo messed up what was really going on. Helicopter pilots getting shot at, boats being hijacked, and no communicatrions were possible down there. Yet CNN and Fox were continuously broadcasting their crap live. Ugh- okay rant over.

We are doing okay here, except for a cranky prego mamma with a sinus infection and a no-sleeping- cranky toddler with a cold. : This no talking thing is getting really old- he CAN sign, but only does so when he feels like it :

OKay- I'm sorry for such the downer post. I need happy hour- y'all that aren't preggo have a cocktail for me PLEASE!!!
#5 of 104 Old 09-05-2005, 12:06 PM
bec

Liz - I'm so glad to hear that everything is ok for you and your family! I hope you hear from the rest of your friends soon and that they are all right too.

There has been a lot of anger and frustration over how the relief effort has been going from top to bottom. I know how upset I've been over it. I can't even imagine what it must be like in your neck of the woods. It sounds like your community has really come together and done a lot of good, though!

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#6 of 104 Old 09-05-2005, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liz ... I'm also glad to hear from you. And your community's response has probably been a burst of light in what has otherwise been a downright awful situation. I keep reading stories in our local paper (which is usually a pretty awful paper -- and we don't have cable) that just have my blood boiling over the handling of everything. I can't believe we live in the supposed superpower of the world and we can't even take care of people in our own backyard through a disaster we knew was coming for days. Ok. Rant over.

If you want to enter an inexpensive auction of natural parenting goods where all proceeds go to the Red Cross, visit Lil' Bunz. She has three $1 items (a sling, a $25 gift certificate, and 3 Fuzzi Bunz or Happy Heiny's with inserts) in the auction, and you can buy as many chances for $1 each for whichever of the items you're interested in as you want. Just thought I'd share.

Liz ... hope you all feel better soon.

We've all been passing around a lower intestinal bug over and over again. I guess I'm going to have to get out the big guns and lysol and/or bleach the heck out of the bathrooms and all the faucets/handles in the house. Natural cleaning products haven't done jack.

Hope everyone is doing well. How goes the testing Christy?
#7 of 104 Old 09-05-2005, 01:58 PM

Liz, I'm glad you're ok. Up here in MI, people are idiots and are totally ignorant of the magnitude of whats going on down there. Several businesses are doing collections, and our local grocery is accepting food donations, but so far all they have is 10 cans of beans!!! I think we are going to donate directly to red cross.

I am going to test again on wednesday...tuesday, i am going to call my internist and see about a blood test...I'll just have to pay the guy, lol. I cant stand the waiting anymore!!! OH! did I tell you guys that yesterday, my boobs were sore, and i pushed on them a little and got some colostrum out of my right boob!!!! Sage has been weaned for 5 months!!!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#8 of 104 Old 09-05-2005, 07:49 PM

Boy oh boy, little miss has developed quite the attitude! Of course she had great teachers so what was I expecting Heaven forbid you should tell her no and OMG does she have a set of pipes on her! She has the most ear piercing scream I think I've ever heard!!!

I got big 3 times by a mosquito last night at MIL's house, one on my upper right arm, one on my right elbow and one on my right knee. The one on my knee is fine, the one on my elbow is a bit swollen, sore and warm to the touch, the one on my upper arm has a huge red patch around it, has a hard spot in the middle, is a bit tender and is hot to the touch. I've never reacted to a mosquito bite like that before - I'm sort of bothered by it...

speaking of screaming - I better go out there before they tear my house down (or the neighbors call the cops saying I'm beating my children because that's how it sounds right now...) I hope everyone has had a nice weekend.
#9 of 104 Old 09-05-2005, 08:08 PM

subscribing

Happy to hear everyone is well and safe.
Hope yours and evans cold goes away soon liz.
#10 of 104 Old 09-06-2005, 12:01 PM

off to call the Dr...:

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#11 of 104 Old 09-06-2005, 04:51 PM

I had to actually stop watching the news, Havent seen it in a few days. I was crying @ the sight of the elderly passing in the chairs they sat in. I would cry when I saw mamas holding their lethargic,dehydrated babies. I was feeling very helpless. I wanted to go there and help. That wasnt an option for me. DP won a little bit of money from the lottery recently, we donated some. Just yesterday we noticed a newcomer in the neighborhood. He and his toddler son came to Cali from Mississippi to avoid the hurricane. Wheew!! I dont sleep well, thinking something tragic is going to happen here....earthquake, fire, anything. Im just praying the people get the help thay need. I wish there was something more we could do.
#12 of 104 Old 09-07-2005, 11:00 AM

well, my blood test was a big fat negative. I would have come on yesterday and talked about it, but I was pretty bummed, ( and still am). my HCG level was at 1. Normal is 0-3, and 1 week pregnant is 5-15. they want me to come back in a week if AF still hasnt showed to re-test. then if that's neg, they'll want to run a bunch of tests on me to see what's wrong.

#13 of 104 Old 09-07-2005, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy1980
well, my blood test was a big fat negative. I would have come on yesterday and talked about it, but I was pretty bummed, ( and still am). my HCG level was at 1. Normal is 0-3, and 1 week pregnant is 5-15. they want me to come back in a week if AF still hasnt showed to re-test. then if that's neg, they'll want to run a bunch of tests on me to see what's wrong.

Hope all is well Christy
#14 of 104 Old 09-07-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy1980
Christy - I'm sorry. I hope everything is alright
#15 of 104 Old 09-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Last night we were at Mikayla's cheerleading practice and Jesi told me she had to pee. There was no bathroom available and I didn't bring any "just in case" diapers so I took her off to the side behind a bush to go. I pulled her pants down and leaned her over to pee and you should have seen the look she gave me :LOL It was hilarious! I was getting this look like "you have GOT to be kidding me" she didn't go, she held it until we got home, about a half hour later.
#16 of 104 Old 09-07-2005, 01:33 PM

Oh, Christy I'm so sorry. I hope you are okay.

Evan peed in the potty!!! He took off his diaper and ran and pointed to the little potty. He sat down and peed. He also took off his diaper later and pooped on the floor, and got poop EVERYWHERE. It was soooo not fun to clean up. :

I would have loved to see the look on Jesi's face, Sherri :LOL I'll bet that was hilarious.
#17 of 104 Old 09-07-2005, 01:41 PM

Yeah for Evan!!! Jesi has pooped on the floor a few times. She does it then runs to get me saying "uh oh mama, poo poo" then practically drags me in to see it :LOL

The look on her face WAS hilarious, I wish I had a camera because that was a prize winning photo :LOL
#18 of 104 Old 09-10-2005, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody out there???
#19 of 104 Old 09-10-2005, 04:55 PM

im here...sage has had a bad cold and has been running a river of snot from her nose for 2 days. she's been generally cranky, which is why i havent been online, lol.

more later, ttfn!

#20 of 104 Old 09-11-2005, 12:09 AM

I'm here - this is the first time I've had more than 5 minutes to myself since Wednesday! I was gone all day Thursday running errands in town with dh, went to the OB so dh could hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time, then that night Mikayla had her performance at the fair so we were out until after 9. Yesterday I was in town again all day long running errands, came home long enough to get Mikayla from school, run to the grocery store and get thins ready to go to dh's RC car races last night - we were out until after 11. Today I got up and had to make a new case for our pop up shade tent because the nylon one that came with it is shredding - I finished it just in time to throw it in the car, toss some water bottles and ice in the ice chest, get dressed and head off to Mikalya's game (which they won again - score was 49-26 this time) We were home for about 10 minutes and dh had some errands to run so off we went again then stopped by his parents for dinner (totally unplanned, just worked out well :LOL) Somewhere in there I realized Danielle was running a fever, we had barely gotten home and she started throwing up. Now I just noticed Jessica has a slight fever as well and is cranky/clingy so just my luck she's getting it too. It's going to be a long night, and probably an even longer day tomorrow. I'm already exhausted from all the running around the last few days - maybe I should go curl up on the couch with the girls and watch Lilo and Stitch 2... Nighty night all!
#21 of 104 Old 09-11-2005, 12:27 AM

i've been lurking. too lazy to put a few words together and post, though. just getting dragged down by the losses on the september duedate group each time i wander around mdc.

oh, and the fact that ds is driving me mad more often than not right now.

example: throwing food or drinks. it makes me want to scream. actually, i have screamed and am not proud of having done so. but sometimes get so overwhelmed i just lose it. then i sob. i don't think jasper knows how to respond to either -- screaming seems to make him cry briefly, then the sobbing seemed to intrigue him.

but how oh how do we get him to stop doing this? he will rarely hand me food when he is done with it anymore, or simply leave it on the table... it's like a game to him, sometimes in direct response to me asking if he's done. yeah ma, look i'm done -- toss, fling, splat! and now it's not only if the doggie is around, hovering and waiting for handouts. we've taken to putting the dog outside to see if that would help. nope, hasn't seemed to and then we just have the dog jumping and barking at the patio door, begging to come back in (now i'm wishing we hadn't taught him to bark when he wants back in).

sigh.

other than that, still baking the babe but not sure for how much longer. my opinion changes day to day, hour to hour. i had a little crampiness earlier this evening that got my hopes up, but i think it might have been continued fallout from whatever food poisoining or bug i was suffering from on tuesday (bec, any of you have issues? i wasn't sicksick, but too queasy to eat, dizzy, coldsweats, no energy and just generally blah for all of tuesday and some of wednesday). still not sure what brought that on, but thankfully didn't have a fever and jasper was mostly-willing to play independently those few days so i didn't need to chase him all over.

i've been nesting a bit this weekend. this morning i rearranged ds's room (finally removed the toddler bed he never really used) and cleared out the junk that's been collecting for a while now (clothes for other seasons, poptart wrappers : etc.). it feels so spacious now, with just a fullsize mattress on the floor, a dresser, a small beanbag chair and a recliner (plus some toys, of course but still tons of floorspace to move about). tomorrow i might finish up the guestroom that i'm prepping as my postpartum hangout. we put the extra crib in there (for naps, hopefully) a freecycled dresser (about half full of 0-3 month girlie clothes, still need to decide which dipes to put in there in the other half), and then there's a queensize bed in there, a nightstand, and a tv (with dish!). i also want to put together a box of toys/books for jasper so he has something to do in there besides bug me and the baby when we're busy with nursing marathons! and i want to get a few pictures on the walls too to make it a little less drab. nothing matches anything else in there, but it will do as a multipurpose room for now. next spring or summer it's slated to become a joint office for phil and me -- once i plan out what we need for desks, etc and we figure out what we're doing for the baby's room next door (which is currently phil's office). that'll be a project!

::: lori
#22 of 104 Old 09-11-2005, 09:37 AM

I'm here- been really busy too. Evan has been on a "Daddy is the one" kick the last couple of weeks and it is really annoying. He freaks out if daddy even leaves the room. I mean tantrum city Driving me nuts.

And he wants to watch Spongebob 24hours a day- not that I let him, but if I watch one more episode I'm going to turn into Spongebob. : I'm really losing my mind

And my nausea has been replaced by contant indigestion. Dh says that he will always remember this pregnancy as "the big belch" :LOL Since that is all that comes out of my mouth these days.......
#23 of 104 Old 09-11-2005, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMama
And my nausea has been replaced by contant indigestion. Dh says that he will always remember this pregnancy as "the big belch" :LOL Since that is all that comes out of my mouth these days.......
LOL! I almost spit my water out when I read that ... you poor thing. I remember belching and passing gas (sorry TMI) constantly with Henry. I was sitting at the table with my FIL and in the span of about 10 seconds (going from sitting to standing) I did both. I was so mortified.

Anyway ... sorry to hear everyone's been sick. Our biggest complaint are these blasted eye teeth. I can't wait until he's done cutting teeth!

Oh ... check out my new and improved siggy ....
#24 of 104 Old 09-11-2005, 05:01 PM

sherri and lori~~reading your posts made me tired, lol. you guys sure are busy.
Amy~~awesome! come join us in the ttc forum on "the ONE thread." are you charting?? fertility friend is free and pretty useful.

i think AF is going to show up soon, i had some light spotting yesterday, but none today, so she should show up this week...hopefully before friday b/c that's when we leave for our very late honeymoon...our 1yr anniv is the 23rd, lol. its kind of an anniv/b-day present for me, (my b-day is the 18th) and i really want to enjoy it and not have to worry about AF the whole time.

sage is doing great, she had fun at the petting zoo today. she got to hang out with some deer, while one of them kept harassing me for popcorn, lol. If I can, I'll post some pics later.

ok, ttfn!

#25 of 104 Old 09-11-2005, 08:43 PM

As I feared, last night was a long night. Jesi was up most of the night and isn't having a good day today. She's napping now, finally, so I get a short break. Hopefully she wakes up feeling better.

Amy - good luck and have fun

Lori - food throwing is a big thing here - even better is to take mommy's glass of water, pretend to get a drink, then tip it upside down on the couch where sissy is sitting before mommy has a chance to react. Either that or she takes a drink and spits it out at sissy. She loves to throw food around, it's even more fun to do after she has chewed it up : I feel your frustration, I really do

I think I'll go lay down now while I have the chance...
#26 of 104 Old 09-14-2005, 01:43 PM

holy smokes, we were almost to page three! Where did everybody go?

Have any of you read The No Cry Sleep Solution? how about the toddler version of the book? I just bought both and started reading the toddler version last night. I really need to wean Jesi, I'm starting to resent bfing and that's not a good thing. It is just so extremely painful right now. I did manage to get her to go to sleep last night without a boob in her mouth - that's a first! It took me an hour and a half but she did it! She still nursed a few times, but it was the first time she didn't have the boob in her mouth when she fell asleep. I'm trying to transition both Jesi and Dani to a point where I can put them in bed and they will fall asleep on their own - because dh gives me NO help at night and with a new baby on the way, I can't see myself being able to get 3 kids to sleep at a decent hour unless I start at 5:00 (which isn't a bad idea actually)

Danielle is giving me presents today - she found a little box and put some stuffed animals and a couple of books from my bookshelf in it - she says I can't open it yet though because I have to wait until everyone else gets here (whoever everyone else is) because theya re bringing birthday presents too :LOL She's so cute I told her she needs to be good to me today and no fighting with her sister - ya right, like THAT'S gonna happen :LOL
#27 of 104 Old 09-14-2005, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Sherri ... I read NCSS for babies and while I loved it's ideas, Henry wanted no part of them. I haven't seen the toddler version yet, but maybe I'll see if my library has it. Henry's been going to sleep at night sans nursing for awhile, which is great for dh (when he's home, which he hasn't been lately) but terrible for me. Henry fights me all the way. He climbs over me, pulls my hair, tries to sleep on my face, or wants me to hold him and dance around the room (what dh does) but won't let me sling him (and he's just too darn heavy for me to do that to anymore). Our biggest problem is that he can't seem to turn off his brain. He just jabbers on and on and on and on ...

That wasn't much help, was it? :LOL I feel your pain, though.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!
#28 of 104 Old 09-14-2005, 07:33 PM

Thank you

Jessica has a hard time settling down too - half the time she's trying to talk to me, with the boob in her mouth :LOL I'm going to try to be on more of a schedule and see if that helps at all - I hate schedules though so I don't know how well this is going to work for us.
#29 of 104 Old 09-14-2005, 08:08 PM

Lori ~ when is that wee one supposed to make an appearance? today's a good day :LOL
#30 of 104 Old 09-14-2005, 09:49 PM

Happy Birthday Sherri! I had forgotten that your birthday is the day before mine We need to hear from Lori- she could be in labor now!

NCSS did nothing for us. I didn't know that there was a toddler version. Sherri- I'm sorry to hear that nursing is not going well. As you know, I weaned Evan in May because I was having such a hard time. It was hard for a couple of weeks, but we survived. I'm not going to suggest that you go one way or another. I got slammed on the BF past infancy forum for telling my story- not even suggesting that the OP should wean, so I'm going to keep my mouth shut. As you know, it is a very personal decision to make. Do what is right or you and Jesi. And weaning does not make bedtime easier- believe me.

We have been struggling with bedtime. Evan was doing so well in his own bed. DH or I would lay down with him and he would snuggle up and go to sleep and it would all be done in 20 minutes. He would wake up once during the night to drink some water, and would lay back down and immediately go back to sleep for the rest of the night. He got sick with a cold, and all that went to hell. He now sleeps with us again, and wakes up screaming at least 2times per night. Only Daddy will soothe him. He he is the biggest bed hog. I asked for a kind size bed for my birthday. I can't stand the kicking at my stomach all night :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's_Mamma
Henry fights me all the way. He climbs over me, pulls my hair, tries to sleep on my face, or wants me to hold him and dance around the room (what dh does) but won't let me sling him (and he's just too darn heavy for me to do that to anymore). Our biggest problem is that he can't seem to turn off his brain.
Sounds WAY too familiar. Evan doesn't talk though, he screams and whines. Drives me up a tree!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Little Monkeys
Danielle is giving me presents today - she found a little box and put some stuffed animals and a couple of books from my bookshelf in it - she says I can't open it yet though because I have to wait until everyone else gets here (whoever everyone else is) because theya re bringing birthday presents too She's so cute I told her she needs to be good to me today and no fighting with her sister - ya right, like THAT'S gonna happen
Too cute

Where is Tammi?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page