does he need antibiotics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-13-2002, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 15 month old ds has had the typical cold for about 2 1/2 weeks, and although he seems healthy, he's playing normally, no fever, and he's eating okay, he's had this juicy cough and yellow/green nasal discharge the whole time. I'm worried that he needs antibiotics, but I'm also worried that if I take him to the dr she'll prescribe antibiotics whether he needs it or not. If he seems okay, should I just wait it out? Of course if he spiked a fever or was wheezing, I'd get him to the dr asap. What do you think?
#2 of 10 Old 12-13-2002, 07:49 PM

If it were me, based on what you said, I would not take my baby to the dr. unless there was a fever or rash or something alarming. If he has a "juicy" cough then he is over producing mucus which means you may want to limit the dairy he eats/drinks and encourage him to drink lots of clear fluids (to liquify the secretions.) If you aren't noticing any other symptoms don't allow yourself to get worked up about it. I know it's hard to watch your little guy croup around when you feel like there is so little you can do to help. If you are still concerned take a look at Dr. Sears's website. There is a segment that he discusses when to and when not to take you child to the dr.
#3 of 10 Old 12-13-2002, 08:18 PM

No fever usually means no infection, so probably no antibiotics are needed.
#4 of 10 Old 12-13-2002, 08:52 PM

**changed after i re-read**

i'd call the doctor.

a cough that is "juicy" might not be good

and sometimes greenish discharge is an infection.

if you call, they might tell you not to come in.

my dr always has told me not to come in. so far **knock on wood*

#5 of 10 Old 12-14-2002, 04:28 PM

You may want to try www.abchomeopathy.com I always use homeopathics first and call the dr as a last resort. This site lets you enter in the symptoms and tells you which remedy you need. It always works for us. Green mucous can actually be a good thing.
#6 of 10 Old 12-14-2002, 04:46 PM

Sounds like an icky cold. Do you have a naturopathic clinic near you? We love our ND and can almost always avoid the dr and antibiotics by checking w/him first. Your son definitely needs an immune booster, lots of water and lots of sleep.

If he doesn't bounce back soon, I guess I would bring him in.
#7 of 10 Old 12-14-2002, 09:09 PM

I just wanted to say that if you go to a pediatrician that you fear will prescribe antibiotics whether your child needs them or not, it may be time for a new one. My doc is very, very conservative when it comes to doling out drugs (one of the many reasons I chose her) and if you don't trust yours to use that kind of judgment, you should think about switching.

LoveBeads
Madeleine 2.5
#8 of 10 Old 12-15-2002, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice--I'll check out that website for sure! We actually do have a naturopath that we generally use as our first line of defense, but she's at a conference. Our M.D. pediatrician is quite a cold fish, but she's covered under my insurance....
#9 of 10 Old 12-15-2002, 05:53 AM

So many people go to the doctor looking for antibiotics as they are not willing to let a minor illness run its course. Of course there are some things that antibiotics can help and others that they can do no good for.
I have always been very clear with our pediatrician (and my own doctor too for that matter) that when I come in in a situation like this, I am just looking for them to listen to her lungs, check her ears, etc. and assure me I am fine to go ahead and let the illness run its course. I am always clear to say that I am NOT looking for antibiotics unless they are NECESSARY. I have had the discussion with him that I fear they are overused and don't want to do that but am happy (well, not happy exactly, but willing) to use them when they are really needed. So far, he has been great. We usually get the "it will run its course, lots of fluids, etc." talk but on occasion have had the antibiotics prescribed and use them then.
I have heard varying reports about green mucous from the nose. That personally worries me a little so especially with the icky cough, I would pry go in for a little once over. If the child is eating, sleeping and acting fine, I am always less concerned than if these are affected.
Hope all are healthy at your house soon!
Kirsten
#10 of 10 Old 12-15-2002, 01:13 PM

If there is no fever it usually means there's no bacterial infection. He sounds happy enough, is eating and doesn't seem in any distress. Personally, I'd wait it out as coughs are usually nothing to be concerned about unless there is difficulty breathing, wheezing, blueness around the mouth or causing distress. It sounds like it's a cold, there are some nasty ones going around at the minute and the cough does take a while to clear. Try using eucalyptus oil to help clear the passages. At the end of the day, you're the best judge and know whether or not he needs a doctor. Follow your insincts, if he seems pretty normal I'd let it take it's course.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page