Going to Cancun...ALONE!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2002, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

Last night as I was lying in bed and I realized that I will be away from my ds (15mths) for the first time in his life...FOR A WHOLE WEEK!!!

My dh and I had talked about this a bit but it didn't really hit home till last night.

I'm not really sure what to do...I'm worried that he is going to have a hard time emotionally and I don't really have any way of preparing him.
We used to leave him for the night when we lived near my parents but now we don't live near anyone that can keep him...so I'm not sure how to prepare him (or me) for a one week seperation. Also I don't think I will be able to phone home...this really bothers me...
He is not nursing and has a great relationship with dh...but many nights if just one of us puts him to bed he will start to cry till the other goes up to give him a hug...this fact really bothers me...is he going to think I left forever?? A week is a long time...agh

Any suggestions on how I can try and prepare him would be greatly appreciated...

Cancun in February...what was I thinking...

Oils

p.s. Just in case..there is absolutely no way I can bring him...it's not possible...that would be more emotionally horrible for him I think...I am going for a one week seminar on how to do emotional clearing...:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2002, 06:36 PM

no advice...just

I can imagine how hard it must be to think about leaving your little one. It is amazing tho just how resiliant little people are. I remember my mom leaving for 2 weeks when I was younger and being left with an old woman that I hid from. But, it really didn't seem that long....now that I am older I can only remember one day of it.

Also, it might be good to do some emotional healing, good for both of you....
Old 12-14-2002, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,
Thanks so much...
I know that its not going to scar him forever...(or me..) I just wish that he had a bit more experience being away from me for a longer time...I would feel a bit better...

I think the fact that I can't call home everynight is also going to be a struggle...
I am trying to look at it as a growing experience for both of us...we'll see if I ever leave again!! LOL (Just kidding...)

Thanks for the support...it's nice to know that someone doesn't think I am a horrible mom...like I feel at this moment...

I'm sure part of my guilt will slightly wither as I get off the plane into sunny Cancun!!!

Thanks again
Oils
Old 12-15-2002, 01:32 AM

I would not leave my baby/toddler for that long unless it were a life/death situation (such as being hospitalized). I think a child of that age is simply too young to grasp that you will be coming back and that you aren't gone forever. OTOH, I've nursed all of my kids until they were preschoolers, so that is a different sort of attachment, I suppose.

I'm not trying to flame you or make you feel badly, but it sounds like you are really having some issues about going. I would listen to your gut; if you truly feel that it would be wrong, I would not hesitate to back out. I've known lots of people who've lost out big-time money-wise, because they've realized last minute that it just wouldn't be right to leave their little ones behind.

Food for thought. {{{{HUGS}}}} I don't envy you this decision.

Jen/Twelveducks

User Tag List