POLL: MULTIVITAMINS or NO MULTIVITAMINS? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Multivitamin or NO Multivitamin (for Toddler)
Yes 34 40.96%
No 49 59.04%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 25 Old 09-08-2005, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you give your toddler a multivitamin supplement or just rely on diet for vitamins?

If you use a multivitamin...which one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 09-08-2005, 11:54 AM

I do not. Dd is still breastfeeding 3-4 times a day. She eats a pretty varied diet but even when she doesn't, I feel she is getting what she needs through breastmilk. However, even if she were weaned I doubt I would give her a vitamin. I think the concensus out there is that they really do not get absorbed into the body well unless you take the 6X a day kind which I do not have the money or discipline for. I also think that if kids are fed a varied and healthy diet without pressure, they will learn to eat what they need to be healthy. I worry that artificial nutrition can mess with this learning process.
#3 of 25 Old 09-08-2005, 11:56 AM

We use Schiff's liquid multivitamin. It doesn't have any unnatural crap in it, and it's the only vitamin for this age range that has 100% of the RDA for everything.

For my older ds, we did it because he has eczema, and getting enough zinc is important for eczema. Also, he's vegetarian, and we wanted to make sure he was getting enough iron (particularly because we lived in an old house with lead paint... getting enough iron helps your kid absorb less lead). Schiff's is definitely the only one I saw that had enough zinc and iron.

For my younger ds... he was FTT, and he still doesn't eat enough. Again, there's concern with him about zinc and iron, so we're going with the Schiff's again.

It has a natural peach flavor, and it's pretty palatable.

#4 of 25 Old 09-08-2005, 02:56 PM

I give my 18m ds Solgar's Kangavites. He eats like a bird so it's like an insurance policy for me. He loves them.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#5 of 25 Old 09-08-2005, 03:25 PM

Though DD is not a toddler anymore, I’d still answer.

I do.

I did not used to, because I thought with the variety of food she should get enough, right?

Well, then I read about it and thought about it – if we did grow our own food, including fish, meat and dairy – there might have been enough. But I doubted that with the store-bought produce she would get enough.

Plus she has eczema, so now she gets the “oily medicine” (as she calls flax seed oil) followed immediately by the rewarding multivitamin that has zinc in it (I don’t remember the name, I just know I bought organic at Whole Foods)
#6 of 25 Old 09-08-2005, 03:32 PM

Not a multivitamin. I do give both my boys a Calcium vitamin since neither drink milk.
#7 of 25 Old 09-08-2005, 06:54 PM

Yes, she takes Shaklee childrens chewables. It's up to you, but for us, we all take vitamins. We try to get what we can from our food, but if we miss somehting, I like nowing that we are getting it in a vitamin form. If I think she is getting sick, she gets to take a chewable C vitamin too, but that's not often. My 7 month old is still 100% breastfed, and I don't give her anything, but plan to when her diet it 75% or more food (whenever she decides that is )
#8 of 25 Old 09-08-2005, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it certainly cannot hurt but I never remember to give it to him.
#9 of 25 Old 09-08-2005, 10:08 PM

Yes. Rainbow nutri stars
#10 of 25 Old 09-08-2005, 10:37 PM

My older ds gets a multivitamin every day. I've not started giving them to younger ds yet.

My mom buys them the Melaleuca children's vitamin... Vita-Bears or something like that...
#11 of 25 Old 09-09-2005, 01:29 AM

My DS is kind of a picky eater (what toddler isn't, I guess) and really only eats fruit, tomatoes and cheese with any regularity. So I use polyvisol drops and add it to whatever he's drinking. A little bottle is about $10 and lasts us about 4 months. It's maybe too "mainstream" a product for some here, but it works for us.
#12 of 25 Old 09-09-2005, 10:09 AM

I didn't even give it much thought until a couple of months ago when dd decided that there were less and less things she would eat. The list has gotten shorter and shorter and she has refused most vegetables that aren't hidden in her pasta sauce or chopped up in her mac and cheese! Giving her a multi-vitamin (Rainbow Nutri Stars) makes me a feel a little better. I still try and get her to eat a more varied diet but I don't stay up at night worrying about her iron intake!

Mama to two wonderful daughers: 02/03/03 and 10/19/05
#13 of 25 Old 09-09-2005, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My kids are all prescribed the vitamins with flouride (and artificial colors and flavors) because the water here is thankfully not poisoned, I mean flouridated. I've never given it to any of them (wait, I might have given it to the girls for a few months when we first moved to NY, and I gave floride only drops to ds once or twice, but for years I've been intentionally avoiding extra floride for them.)

I would give my older girls a multivitamin if I could find one without artificial colors/flavors that didn't cost a small fortune, but ds is still nursing and I figure that's his "multivitamin." I take lots of supplements myself.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#14 of 25 Old 09-09-2005, 11:16 AM

no multivitamin. dd takes vitamin c gummy bears (no dyes) when she's on the verge of a cold. since she decided to potty so abruptly, ( ) she's been having trouble pooping & has been holding it until she's blocked up (TMI, sorry! ) I just started giving her fiber gummy bears (same type) & chewable acidophilus (waiting not so patiently for my yogurt maker to be delivered!).

She goes through stages of what she'll eat & not eat, so we just keep giving her a variety. she's a really good eater 99% of the time, so i'm not too concerned at this point.
#15 of 25 Old 09-10-2005, 12:44 AM

I have tried. I got those gummy vitamins from Trader Joe's. DS has zero interest in them.
#16 of 25 Old 09-10-2005, 02:02 AM

I do whenever I remember to take mine, which isn't too often! Prenatal vitamins make me sick while I'm pregnant, so I try to take two generic flintstone vitamins a day. DS sees me and wants one so I usually give him half of one of mine - it can't hurt and its a little treat. If only I remembered to take them more often!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#17 of 25 Old 09-10-2005, 03:02 AM

#18 of 25 Old 09-10-2005, 08:55 AM

i vote no but thats because i expect a toodler to be nursing. if the toodler wasn't and was a finiky eater i would say yes.

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#19 of 25 Old 09-10-2005, 09:39 AM

I only WISH ds would take vitamins. I've tried liquid and chewables to no avail. He won't take ANY kind of med so it's a neverending battle. He's an extremely picky eater...He won't eat fruits or vegetables. His diet is extremely limited because he simply refuses to even try new stuff.
I'm actually quite worried about his health. I'm wondering if he's going to have to end up getting injections due to his poor diet.

He does not drink juice or smoothies so I can't 'hide' the vitamins in there. Does not eat applesauce or any of the usual hiding foods.

I've tried doing fun, yummy stuff with veggies and fruit but he still won't touch it.

So, although I voted no, I WOULD give it to him if I could.
#20 of 25 Old 09-10-2005, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbell
I think it certainly cannot hurt but I never remember to give it to him.

me either :
#21 of 25 Old 09-10-2005, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter loves pills of any kind, so she gets half a HFS kids vitamin when I take mine. Her pill fetish started with my enthusiasm to get her taking Hylands Teething Tablets when she was little. I would like to spring for Juice Plus, but haven't seen enough feedback on them to validate the $$.
#22 of 25 Old 09-10-2005, 12:49 PM

We do. If DD would still breastfeed, I wouldn't bother. But because she'll often leave half her meal on her plate, or not eat it at all, I like to know that she's getting some nutrition each day. I don't recall the name of our vitamin, but it's a grocery store brand that doesn't have any junk in it.
#23 of 25 Old 09-10-2005, 12:59 PM

No, not yet at least. My dd still nurses LOTS so I don't worry.

-Angela
#24 of 25 Old 09-10-2005, 09:37 PM

We give Dakota Yummi Bears. When he was smaller we gave him Cod Liver Oil every day and vitamin C. He also took acidophilus (okay I know that's not spelled right.) and something called Iberogast for his tummy. He had so many allergies that it was hard to give him a well balanced diet. Now that he is outgrowing the allergies he is eating more of a variety of food. He likes the Yummi Bears and asks for them every morning.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#25 of 25 Old 09-11-2005, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
yep, DS takes Vita Worms or Yummy Bears. And a few times a week he gets a calcium chew since he doesn't drink milk.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page