Need HELP! Changing Toddler Nap routine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-12-2005, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an almost 25 month old dd and a 2 week old ds. I rock my dd to sleep for her (1) nap still- we eat lunch, I tell her she's going to take her rest (this is roughly at the same time daily), she get into jammy clothes, have some milk in the chair and I rock her to sleep (she doesn't nurse to sleep.). This takes, depending on the day, 10-50 minutes. I don't mind this until...

I now have a 2 week old baby. My mom is back home, DH is back to work and I am realizing that if the newborn is not sleeping at nap time (or wakes while I am rocking dd) I am completely screwed! I will not let my newborn cry while I attempt to finish rocking so I desperately and urgently need to change the way my toddler goes to sleep. At night, I lay down with her, she has milk for a limited time, we say good night to milk and mama and she goes to sleep. I am not too worried about night yet as DH is usually home and can watch ds if he wakes.

How do I transition my toddler to going to sleep in the bed without rocking?? I can still do the nursing (if ds is awake we will just have "milk together") but I cannot rock both of them and be able to get up from the chair!

Any help would be appreciated!! And yes- I probably should have worked this out BEFORE I gave birth but that is no longer an option so please do not go there!

Traci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-14-2005, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have some advice??
#3 of 8 Old 09-14-2005, 11:32 AM

No ideas here, tomorrow is our first day alone, so I'm looking for advice too!
#4 of 8 Old 09-14-2005, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was really worried about this and knock on wood this is amazingly still working for us, I can't believe how I am this lucky, but maybe will work for you too!!!

1. Noticed newborn falls asleep for nap number 2 around same time every day.
2. When he is asleep in the sling, I can lay him down in the crib with sling around him and cross my fingers that he won't wake up until toddler is asleep.
3. Toddler only naps if I sidelying nurse him so no tandem nursing options here ...so once baby is in crib, we creep into bed and try to go to sleep quickly.
4. I found that on the few occassions that baby woke up before toddler was asleep, I just had to LET IT GO...because I found myself actually angry at my toddler for not falling asleep fast enough...whats' up with that evil kind of thought? I let it go and would try for the nap later when baby was on nap number 3.

SO this has been working from day one and he is 3 months old now and I daily have at least 15-20minutes when they are both asleep for getting stuff done or taking a short nap myself...then baby usually wakes and nurses and we can go back to sleep together.

Hope that helps mama!!!!

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
and a HUGE surprise: I'm 7 weeks pregnant!
#5 of 8 Old 09-14-2005, 02:47 PM

I was worried about this too, and this is the solution my DH and I came up with. It's been working for us for almost a year now. (DS just turned 3 and DD is almost 1)

We invested in a really quality double jogging stroller. After lunch every day, I put them both in it and go for a walk. I get some exercise, they nap at the same time. Sometimes I'll walk to a shaded bench and read for a while. If they wake up, I just head home and they're asleep again by the time I get there. About half the time they stay asleep and I get a little time to myself. Even if they wake up immediately, they at least got a rest and my 3-year-old doesn't have a meltdown later in the day.

In the evening, my DH jogs them to sleep. Then sometimes he and I get a little "alone" time when he gets home iykwim.

If a double jogger seems too expensive, just think how much gas money you will save from the times you are so desperate you strap them both in and go for a drive. Okay, maybe you wouldn't do that, but DH and I have been known to do that from time to time. : Much less often than we would otherwise now that we have the double jogger. And this stroller has a high weight limit, so we can use it for years. Probably by the time Ethan outgrows it, we will have a 3rd baby.

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
#6 of 8 Old 09-14-2005, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So like today, perfect example...it took us three trys and I just had to let it go when it didn't work...now they are both asleep for a good long while probably...baby didn't nap long enough first two naps, so here he is really really conked out.

Great idea though with the stroller!

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
and a HUGE surprise: I'm 7 weeks pregnant!
#7 of 8 Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...I am liking the idea of the jogging stroller. I get exercise, they get sleep... I am in an apartment and have no idea where I would put said stroller but I am thinking about this for sure- thanks for the idea!

fireflies- you offer probably exactly what I need to hear- it will work some days and some days it won't. I am keeping my fingers crossed (both are sleeping right now!) and will try not to anticipate a problem!

Thanks ladies. I, of course, am still open to other suggestions!

Traci
#8 of 8 Old 09-14-2005, 07:50 PM

We live in an apartment too. We just keep it parked in our living room, because, well, it's just so valuable to us that it's worth it. We got the Dreamer Design Ditto because it had great reviews, it's lightweight and easy to push, and it's narrow enough to fit through the doorway without folding it up.

And look! It's on sale now! I think they have free shipping on this site, too. (This is where we bought ours.)

http://www.joggingstroller.com/brand...er_ditto.shtml

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page