Nose Picking!!!!! Help!!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-18-2002, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD has been picking her nose for the last few days...It seems like her finger is in her nose ALL DAY!!
whjat can I do? I want to tell her not to but am afraid to let her think of it as a way to get attention...but I don't want to leave it without any guidance so that she will end up thinking it is ok...PLEASE anybody help with btdt advice...I will try hydrating the nose to see if that is the problem.
Leena
#2 of 6 Old 12-18-2002, 12:44 PM
Liz

My ds only picks his nose when there is a big booger that is bothering him. I do one of three things (or sometimes all 3):

1. say Do you need a Kleenex? and try to wipe it out (my babysitter makes a pointy end on a Kleenex and fishes around with that).
2. say Do you want some nose drops? and try to hose it out with saline solution.
3. say Have you got a big booger? and try to pick it out myself (only if it is within eyesight).

He'll often say no to all 3 things but I try to push the most effective one explaining that it will help clear his nose so he can breathe. He has even put the nose drops in himself. Sometimes I offer to let him do it to me (only fair I figure).

I am trying to teach him to blow his nose but he is very resistant and I don't know why. But give it a try, I know other toddlers who can do it. Makes colds SO much easier.

So maybe offering an alternative to picking will lessen the need to pick? If it is not caused by actual snot and she's doing it to get a reaction I'd ignore it for a while and hope she moves on to something else.
#3 of 6 Old 12-18-2002, 09:54 PM

Okay, so this probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but maybe it's just the opposite. My dd who is 14 mos, has just discovered that her finger can fit inside her nose and is absolutely delighted when she does it. The first time I saw her do it, I said "Don't put your finger in your nose, that's gross!" She thought that was even funnier, and now, whenever she's feeling mischeivious, she looks at me, grins and puts her finger in her nose. Man, am I sorry I ever started that one. :

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#4 of 6 Old 12-18-2002, 10:12 PM

Quote:
My dd who is 14 mos, has just discovered that her finger can fit inside her nose and is absolutely delighted when she does it.
That is soooo my dd!! She loves to fit her fingers or thumbs into anything, toys, her nose, my nose, argh!!

I figure at 17 mos any concept of public decorum is a ways off. I just say "gentle nose!", hoping she won't hurt herself. Oh, and I don't let her stick that little finger up my nose, but she tries. She also likes to put one finger in each of my ears and giggle.
#5 of 6 Old 12-18-2002, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by talah'smommy
ok...PLEASE anybody help with btdt advice...I will try hydrating the nose to see if that is the problem.
Leena
I gave my 25 month old a little pack of tissues and told her to use that on her nose. Now she likes to play with tissue, but better than fingers right? I also will say, oh lets go clean your nose
( the suction device!) and that gets those little hands playing somewhere else.

Now, unfortunately my 6 year old does it when nervous . She should have outgrown it by now according to the "book". Last night at her school play she had her finger deep in her head for most of the song. And she was in the front row!!!!!!
I was so humilated, for her and ME!

I have tried talking gently. Talking stern. Warning her that other kids might make fun. That it is not clean. etc....So I guess I will be lurking for answers here on this thread TOO
#6 of 6 Old 12-19-2002, 02:07 AM

I think that I have heard that Dr Sears says to teach them that nose picking is a private activity and they should do it only when alone. 14 months is probably too young to amke anmy sense of that, but they sre never to young for you to begin refining your response.

I don't know what i think about "private" behavior. I'd be interested in what other people think.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page