homemade wooden dollhouse?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2002, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there

I read below that many of your toddler love their dollhouse. Can you tell me what they look like?

Dh and I are thinking of making one for our almost 3 years old toddler. I got some wooden dolls and furnitures at the local wooden toystore but didnt want to buy the dollhouse...too expensive and more fun to do it together as a family project too.

Are there types of dollhouse that the kids can stack up and build and rearrange the rooms or are they just big boxes with all the dividers in there already?? Do the kids enjoy rearranging the rooms etc.

Is 3 years still too young for this? Perhaps its better to make her a farmhouse instead to put all her animals??

Thanks for any tips.

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2002, 03:43 PM

Someone I know made a dollhouse out of a little bookshelf - each shelf was a different story of the house... painted walls, windows, etc. It actually looked pretty cool! That way, you can put all your energy into decoration and not building the actual structure. Unless you like that sort of thing...
Old 12-18-2002, 07:56 PM

we have one that is wooden.
you put it together yourself.
it is about 4 feet tall. and three stories.
it is a LOT of work and i do NOT think a child would enjoy this type of work. you use a LOT of HOT glue, and it is tedious.

i love it and it is beautiful, but it is HARD to make and time-consuming.

if you do plan to get a family one, make sure it isn't fancy adult type. cause they would bore a child in the construction area.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:32 PM

My dad made me a dollhouse that was jsut like the house we used to live in, but the dollhouse I played and played and played with was the one I made out of a wooden wine box. It's like a tiny bookshelf lying down. I decorated it with carpet scraps and wrapping paper. It had six rooms (or rather bottle slots) and I converted the living room once by combining it with the dining room and the kitchen so it had an open floor plan.
My grandfather had to get rid of it (it was after all a wine crate) when they were doing a big cleanup and he was so sad aobut it. I was not, but i liked playing with it because you can get at all of the action from the top.
I made the people for it too, and the furniture was a combination of stuff I made and "real" furniture. Obviously I was older.
I loke the bookshelf idea too.

User Tag List