wooden dollhouse or wooden barn?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-19-2002, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I been contemplating if my daughter was ready for the dollhouse yet and was thinking of making one for her etc. Then today when I got out her bag of mixture of wooden and plastic animals she had such a blast playing with them. I then realized perhaps she is more ready for a barn at this time.

Curious if any of you have barns and dollhouse or both. What ages did your toddler get them and what were their attitude toward them.

thanks
#2 of 7 Old 12-19-2002, 05:28 PM

Hello--I saw your other post about making one. I'm giving one to my 2.75 yo this holiday--she has only begun to show an interest in dollhouses. I got a very, very simple wooden one--not a lot of pieces to it. Would also like a barn for her, but it will have to wait. She's already getting a wooden kitchen hutch for her birthday--these things are so expensive! I wish I had the inclination to make them myself.
#3 of 7 Old 12-19-2002, 08:14 PM

If you are going to put lots of time and money into making one i would go with the one you think she will play with for the most amount of years. i know my daughter loves those plastic barns with the animals. but she is so into dolls and will play with them all day everyday. i know that for the next 5 years a doll house would be used but a barn would only last till probably age 3 or so. if you have more kids planned in the future then either one will get more use eventually.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#4 of 7 Old 12-20-2002, 10:01 PM

We'll get a barn first. Barn is more toddler proof, IMO. The can make the cows walk around and say "moo" at this age. IMO. We'll get DD a Doll House for her third birthday because I think she'll be ready for it then and the barn can be part of the house : )
#5 of 7 Old 12-20-2002, 10:35 PM

My son got a wood folding barn from www.constructiveplaythings.com for his 3 yr b'day from Grandma. He likes it a lot. He also loves the dollhouse at daycare, so I think he would have enjoyed either one. For me, I wanted the smaller portable one with less small parts, in this case, the barn.
#6 of 7 Old 12-22-2002, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for your replies..

I decided to get a wooden barn on ebay...found one for half price than they usually are. Plus will make a cardboard dollhouse with dd as our project this holiday...putting carpets and curtains in it etc. To accessorize her mini wooden dolls and mini furniture she will get at christmas. Then as she get older we can think about a fancier dollhouse then...the cardboard box one will be something fun and suitable for this age. Since I want to include her in the process of making things.

Amazing though... went to check out all the plastic barns and dollhouses... like fisher price and stuff... they are so cheap. How sad though. Its nicer to have wood and one can pass on for many generations too.

I am proud to say that we have very little plastic toys consuming our toy corners of our house. Most of them came as gifts some we use for bath toys.

Hope everyone is having a good Winter Solstice and wishing everyone a wonderful season. HOpe its not too stressful and that you can enjoy the meaningful season with your families and loved ones.

hugs
stephanie
#7 of 7 Old 12-22-2002, 05:25 PM

my 17 month old is crazy about barns, and loves the wooden one at his school.

when my oldest was 4 years old we purchased a wooden dollhouse, he LOVES it,

BUT he hated the time it took to put together.

whatever you get get something that is easy to assemble.

our house took SIX MONTHS

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page