Better bladder control or not enough fluid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2002, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me again. With more of my tale of low supply woe. If you've been following the saga, Dd loves to nurse even though I've had low supply since day 10. She is 16 months.

A week ago she basically stopped drinking from the bottle, after a gradual decrease in interest now that she is discovering food (which she takes more or less of day to day). A week ago I stopped offering but offer instead a banana when she used to have the last bottle. She only takes tiny sips from cups, and refuses a sippy cup.

The first few nights she had good wet diapers in the AM, but last night the diaper was dry, then she saturated the one I put on in the morning. (Cloth, with a doubler). She is going a long time between diapers. She otherwise looks happy, she is teething mildly, and she is her usual glowy looking self.

She will suck water off my finger (I think she's used to really slow flow from my breasts, and doesn't like fast flow from anything else, and doesn't like anything but flesh in her mouth to drink from), so tomorrow I'm going to sneak a little straw from a rice milk box under my finger, and see if I can teach her to use a straw.

Stubborn thing, like her mother.

Isn't this an age where bladder control improves, though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2002, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No one here seemed to be able to figure us out (we're a tough case, it's happened that way before) so I broke down and called the Ped's office, but I asked for the nurse instead of him; she's way more experienced.

She said this sounded like typical toddler behavior, to choose one thing or another to boycott for awhile, to be more interested in exploration than eating or drinking (more interested in splashing the water in the glass than drinking it), and that as long as there are a few damp diapers a day, and Dd looks happy and healthy, not to worry.

She said I was doing the right thing by giving wet foods and keeping a watchful eye. Dd drank more from the cup in the later part of the day.

Thanks for listening.

User Tag List