when did you start potty training ds/dd - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-21-2002, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been think about this recently because often our DS will ask us to change his poopy diaper (if I wasn't in the room where he was having the b.m.) He's 29mo and we have not attempted really to start potty training. I'm expecting our second child in May and hoping that maybe it could be accomplished by then?! Have I been foolish?

Dh is gone quite a bit with work and I don't have much energy/ability to appropriately handle soiled clothing. Especially since we have only been able to do laundry once a month at the laundry facilities on the propery. I'm very affraid of starting the training with no assistance but much "input" from my dh. I hope some one can suggest something -

I also have no idea when it is "normal" to have your child taught to use the toilet. We have no books, no experience, on one to help us - please HELP with anything!
#2 of 11 Old 12-21-2002, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to add our budget is extremely tight so we've been unable to purchase a plastic potty chair or a stool for getting up onto the big toilet by himself. We do however have a seat cover he could use. I need to hold it down though since the toilet is every elongated and the seat cover tends to shift and fall in. This might pose a problem for b.m.'s (he likes to have privacy - closets, behind chairs, etc.)
#3 of 11 Old 12-21-2002, 08:43 PM

Ok, your ds is older than my dd, but I'll take a stab at this. If he is able to dress/undress himself and able to communicate when he needs to go and doesn't like to be soiled, then he may be ready. You might want to check Dr. Sears' website for more toilet training criteria.

The biggie is to make sure it is his idea and he doesn't feel any pressure. It's ok to gently suggest it, but he won't be willing unless it is his decision. That said, give him every opportunity to watch you and your dh when you go. If there are any older children he can watch (cousins or neighbors) that can be helpful too. Children often learn by imitation so give him that opportunity.

Also, I know it's cold outside, but allow him to go bare around the house as much as is practical. This will cut down on the laundry and he won't have any obsticals to using the toilet. I think sometimes a potty chair can be more of a hinderance than an aid for some children. My dd won't go in a big toilet which poses a problem when we are out and about. If you can skip that transition, Great!

Whatever you do, don't rush it. He will potty train on his own schedule no matter what you do. I checked out a video from our library on toilet training. You may check your library to see if they can offer something similar. Oh, something else that seems to be helping us is to read about potty training. She seems very interested in the process.

Best of luck to you.
Lisa
#4 of 11 Old 12-21-2002, 08:57 PM

We're doin' it now, with partial success. My ds is almost 28 months. He is becoming pretty consistent in his potty use at home because he loves to please mom and dad, but at the home of his child care provider (where he goes 4 full days/week), he's still totally in diapers and showing no move toward using her potty. We actually let him explore his interest in the potty at around 18 months, believe it or not, because he liked a potty book we had been given by some friends. At that time, we helped him use the potty 1-2 times a day, but he was only interested for about 2 weeks and then wanted no part of it. About 3 weeks ago, he overheard me talking on the phone to my mom about pottying, and we've been going strong since then. He even requests his "pivacy" and asks ,e to leave when he does his thing. The kid has to be interested, I guess, and that's the bottom line.
#5 of 11 Old 12-23-2002, 02:51 PM

OK, my experience is way different than most of the other posts.

We bought a potty chair around 12-13 months, just to have around. We told ds what it was but no pressure to use it vs diapers. Around 14 months he started asking more about the potty (with bits of interest throughtout the time since we bought the potty till 14 months). We encouraged the interest with naked time and talking about using the potty if there were accidents during the naked time (but still no pressure, the talks were very light hearted and just informative KWIM??). By 16 1/2 months he was using the potty all of the time during the day with diapers at night, by 18 months he used the potty full time. We had a few accidents after the diapers were gone, but they too were treated like it was no big deal but he was reminded to use the potty (he got pretty upset when he had the accidents cause he really liked (and still does) using the potty ~ so we'd be sure to tell him that it was OK and everyone makes mistakes and has had accidents in their lives, etc.). Since then he has been going strong with only one or two accidents.
I know this is early (and not typical based on many of the reactions we have gotten (Ds turned 2 in November)) but I just wanted to let you know that it is never too early (I gained this opinion after reading some of the elimination communication (EC)threads around here). I think as long as there is no pressure then it is fine. The combination of having the potty, seeing Dh and I go (he really loved to watch his dad go especially, and outside he thought was really awesome to watch!!!!) and the naked time ~ I don't think we could have gotten there without the naked time, it lets them see how their body works I think, worked really well for us.

Oh and we bought some really great training pants from ecobaby.com, but he really didn't need to use them, so I'd shy away from that (but each kiddo is different!!).

And the other thing that did help us was prompting him to use the potty about 15-20 minutes after eating or drinking a big drink of something (I'd just ask if he needed the potty and he'd say yes or no ~ I got this idea from the EC threads also ~ I'd definately read up on this cause a lot of the info I saw can apply to the older kids too!)

Best of luck to you in your potty using journey!!!!!!

#6 of 11 Old 12-24-2002, 01:49 AM

There's really no right way to do it! Naked time is great, and has been helpful to us. My dd is 27 mths and has been pooping in the potty pretty consistently since before 2. Lately she has been telling me even when we are out or I am not easily available. Her only accidents have been when she couldn't tell me in time (like I was at the other end of the house).
I tried her in training pants and panties exclusively, no diapers, for 6 wks after her 2nd Bday. It was a lot of work and she was no closer to being PTed at the end of the 6 wks, so I have now resolved myself to just wait till she's ready. We have the PTing book about the little girl named Prudence, and the Bear in the Big Blue House video about going potty. I talk to her about how one day she will use the potty everytime she needs to tee-tee or poo-poo and then she will get to where big-girl undies all the time.
But I have her in dipes or naked now with no pressure. If she is naked and looks like she is about to pee, I ask her if she wants to use the potty or put a dipe on.
So, I guess you just have to feel your way through it and find what works for you! Remember, they all eventually get trained!
Sara
#7 of 11 Old 12-24-2002, 01:31 PM

we started much earlier then the recommended wait till age 2. i just found a potty chair at a friends garage sale and grabed it. i had it around and she loved to use it. once in a while she would "accidentally" go potty and we would all do a potty dance and make her feel very special. we had lots of accidents since then. not accidents on the toilet but on the floor, bed ect... but i have never pushed it....she pushed me. for a month we accually stopped because we went on vacation but she was not happy and even with a diaper on would want to go on the potty so i would have her in panties at least once a day. she is now 25 months and is the only one of her friends that wears panties everywhere. i dont thiink anyone else her age in her playgroup has even started. I guess its all about going with their cues whether you want to or not. i wasnt ready.. diapers are way easier!!!! we never did the whole pull up thing. it doesnt allow them to feel that they are wet and recognize if they have an accident.

we are very close to no diapers we are down to one a day at night time. she takes a nap and is dry no problem. its all about taking the leap and trying it. dont be afraid of extra laundry. they drink so much fluid their pee isnt that bad. just wash things out in the sink and let it dry.

i definately think there is a special window when your child will be easiest to potty train. too early and it will be harder for them and too late and it will be harder for you.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#8 of 11 Old 12-27-2002, 03:21 PM

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, but mostly in the foothills of the Cascades
IMHO, it is *never* too early. We did Infant Potty Training, and we started holding DD over the potty when she was 2 weeks old. At 23 months, she hasn't had a poopy dipe in the last 10 months - she always goes on the potty. Unfortunately, I don't have any real advice for you, as we took an entirely different approach to potty training.

Patti
#9 of 11 Old 12-27-2002, 05:55 PM

We're also starting early... but I don't look at it as potty training. Since about 11 months every morning dd is put on the potty as soon as she is happily awake (she doesn't wake up well). She'll do a big pee and her daily poop while I read to her. She just happens to be dry overnight and poop first thing, so this is convenient. I just look at it as getting her used to sitting on the potty in a non-pressure situation.
#10 of 11 Old 12-27-2002, 06:46 PM

I agree with the "window" of time during which potty training will be easiest. And although I feel like my ds is in that window right now, I am realizing he is still drinking way too much to be able to make it to the potty for each time he needs to pee (he has been happily doing all poops in the potty for the last 2 weeks). He uses the potty now up to 7 times a day but still has wet diapers in between and when he wakes up! I guess with the nursing still, plus lotsa milk and water, he has to frequently empty that little bladder.
#11 of 11 Old 12-27-2002, 10:05 PM

We bought our first potty when ds1 was 15 months old. We did not pressure him to use it, but gradually started coaxing him onto it throughout the day. He was potty-trained at 2 and a half years old.

Dd started sitting on potty when she was 18-months-old. Again, no pressure, and she was using the potty by the time she was 26 months old.

With both kids, daytime potty use was the norm while diapers were worn at night for the 1st few months. I don't like to have to run a kid to the toilet when they have to go, so I don't pressure my kids to use the potty. They use it when they can go completely on their own and only have to call me to wipe. We actually didn't use the potty itself often, b/c my kids preferred the big toilet (as did I--too much cleaning to do already!). We bought these small stools to use to get up on the toilet easily and to reach the sink to wash hands.

Good Luck! I didn't find potty-training nearly as stressful as I was led to believe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page