Help-need warm (0') & waterproof mittens! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-21-2002, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We got outside for a hike everyday and ds is warm except for his hands. I think it's b/c his mittens are so awkward that he can't really "use" his hands and they get cold. So...I'm desperate. ANy ideas where I can find waterproof mittens that aren't too poofy and are warm down to 0'F?

Thanks!!
#2 of 13 Old 12-21-2002, 10:13 PM

I am tired of mitts that :

don't fit their little fingies/thumb

can't get on properly (too narrow)

don't stay on

aren't warm/waterproof

are too *short* to keep snow out

are pricey for something you will get no proper use from

Does anyone know anything about the ski-type-mitts offered in the Kidalog catalogue?
#3 of 13 Old 12-22-2002, 12:32 AM

I get my sons outdoor mitts snowsuit etc from a company called Mountain Equipment Co-op.They have a web site and think they deliver almost anywhere.I think it is mec.ca.
They do really nice fleecy mitts and great waterproof over mitts.
Their snowsuits are great,they even have reinforced knees in them.
When i did daycare the kids that wore these suits stayed dry and warm the longest.they wash really well too.
#4 of 13 Old 12-23-2002, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1040605870122

What do you think of these? Sound good, I think. Still big but pull on over the cuffs.
#5 of 13 Old 12-23-2002, 03:48 PM

Personnally I think it would be tough to find a pair of mittens that keep a childs hand warm in 0' temps. Heck, I can't keep my hands warm in those temps.! the extremities always seem to get cold the quickest, and I usdually judge that to be the right amount of time outdoors. If fingers are frozen, its time to go in and warm up!
That being said, I am also always on the mitten quest.. those from mec.com look interesting!.. I unfortunately just bought for xmas a pair of grandoe mitens and a pair of scott mitten for 2 yo and for my 4 yo I found a pair of glove liners, thin polypro liners they can wear inside their mitts.. I got these from EMS. Don't know how they work yet as they are presents for xmas... I'll let you know, though!
#6 of 13 Old 12-23-2002, 04:54 PM
Liz

If you keep the body warm the blood keeps circulating to the extremities so they shouldn't get cold. My fingers and toes would always freeze when I was younger but now I pile on an extra sweater under my coat even though the coat is quite warm and my fingers and toes stay warm. A fleece vest is a great way to add a layer without adding that much bulk and long underwear ROCK!
#7 of 13 Old 12-23-2002, 07:19 PM

I bought those mitts for my son and promptly returned them. I thought that they looked great and would be really easy to get on. My son is 13 months and they were impossible to get onto his hands. The thumb hole was useless and impossible to get his thumb into. I thought that they would be great with the velcro going so high but I found them difficult. Hope that you have better luck with them. We order a lot from MEC, snowsuits, fleece onsies, hats etc....they have a great return policy and normally I love everything that we get....although I wish that their baby snowsuits came with the botties and mitts!!
#8 of 13 Old 12-23-2002, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

interesting-thanks for the feedback. I'll have to rethink ordering them. i was hoping that b/c they go so high, they'd be easy on and STAY on.

okay...hmmmm...search continues.

Everything else on him is warm-just those fingers b/c he can't use them in his poofy mittens. Glove l iners may be the way to go. don't know who makes them so small.

sorry for typos-i have company in my lap
#9 of 13 Old 12-24-2002, 01:53 PM

I know what you mean about not being able to move the fingers around. It certainly would help keep them warm, wouldn't it? Another thought are those hand warmer things, you know the ones that are like little packets that you crack or smack or something and then put them in thier mittens (or boots!) and they give off heat for a couple of hours? I've never used them but I see them all the time.. they sell for like 1.50a pair. anyone tried those?

p.s...the glove linr I got are just a little big for my 4 yo, I don't think there were any smaller ones, but someone else might make them.
#10 of 13 Old 12-24-2002, 06:06 PM

"Adventure Mitts" (scroll down to about the eighth item)
http://www.kidalog.com/shopfactory/enter.html

scroll down two more to see the liners.

These are the ones I am seriously considering trying/buying. Any comments? (Good or bad comments welcome....)

I think that I like that they come in an extra small (age 12-24 months) size. Although the liners don't seem to be offered in the extra small size.

Would they *perform* well on a very active almost-twenty-month-old ??
#11 of 13 Old 12-26-2002, 10:06 AM

Those look pretty interesting,laila! I think that campmor catalog makes a similar mitt, too. I really like the gaitors they offer, too. Thats another of my favorite items for extended outdoor play, the gaitors keep the snow out of the boots. Stay warm everyone!
#12 of 13 Old 12-28-2002, 09:30 PM

Try a ski shop. My mother just bought DS (2 y.o.) a nice pair of waterproof mittens at a ski shop and the clerk helped her get the right style and size to fit him properly.
#13 of 13 Old 12-29-2002, 06:41 PM

i agree with a ski shop
both the kids have columbia coats gloves ect, they keep them warm stay on and work great. i dont think any of you are as cold as us and the kids still go out with this.
good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page