Check your carseat requirements! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-22-2002, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After the discussion on carseats I decided to recheck our seat's requirements. I've had Abi in a rearfacing convertible carseat for most of her life. I had it turned front facing for a couple months but then read about keeping it rear facing for as long as possibles so turned it back around. Our convertible carseat goes to 30 pounds rearfacing and 40 pounds front facing so I thought we were good to go for several more months. Abi's only 25 pounds at 24 mos. old.

Well . . . I read the back of the carseat and it said up to 40 pounds OR 40 inches, whichever comes first. She's 43.5 inches! Oops! Her head is still about an inch below the back of the seat so I just assumed she was good to go. So today I retired the carseat for baby #2 and got out the 5 pt. harness booster seat (20-80 pounds).

Just wanted to remind you to check both weight and height on your current carseats.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-22-2002, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

OMG now I feel so dumb! I will blame it on the flu meds I've been taking all week, but dd is only 34.5 inches!! I got my numbers mixed up. Well let's see if she'll let me put her rearfacing seat back in. I doubt it.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 4 Old 12-22-2002, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
the 40 inch height limit is really only a guideline because every child is proportioned differently. For example my almost three year old DS is 39 inches and is all legs so he is still RF in his car seat with at least 3 more inches of head room. The AAP guideline states the child's head should be below the top of the car seat and the conservative rule of thumb is one inch below the top of the seat.

I would go ahead and turn her back, she is so much safer RF. I doubt she will mind. My DS is RF in my van but FF in DH's car in a different seat and he doesn't complain I guess he accepts that he RF in my car and FF in Daddy's.

Deborah

t

"The opposite of a lie is not necessarily the truth, but another version of the lie." ~ Cameron Day
#4 of 4 Old 12-22-2002, 03:27 PM

Oh Darshani :LOL we've all done something similar !!

I was gonna say, your dd is MUCH taller than mine

I hope you're feeling better now !

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page