When will he tolerate spending time alone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2002, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is 2 and 1/2 and refuses to spend any amount of time by himself. He will not play in his room with the door open while I'm in the next room. He will not continue his activity in the family room if I go into the adjacent laundry room, but instead jumps up and chases me on the verge of tears. If he wakes up alone in a room after a nap, he freaks out screaming and sobbing as though he is being tortured.

Up until now, I've just figured he still identified his caregivers (me and dad) as extension of himself, like all babies do -- and felt lost when we were out of sight. But he has definately developed a strong sense of self by now, and he really does understand that just because he can't see something does NOT mean it is gone. So what the heck is going on with him???

I am patient with him over it, but I don't *feel* patient anymore. KWIM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2002, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
had the exact same problem here. it stopped with ds right around 3yo. which was great because we had another baby when ds was 3 y 5 mo, so I had 5 mo of a little freedom!

When ds1 spent time alone it was sooooo cute. he'd create these little stories about a snake, or a chocolate world, and play under the table with his toys. 20 min. or so, then he'd seek someone out.

good luck,

mel

User Tag List