Mothering Forum banner

Sept 2004 Mamas - Welcome to Toddlerhood!

6K views 270 replies 26 participants last post by  JenInMpls 
#1 ·
rabbit rabbit!!!

:LOL

#178 ·
Hey all!

It's so fun to read everyone's posts. I can feel Cecilia's molar! The back of her mouth is all bulgy and crazy. It is so amazing to me that babies get teeth so quickly.... or anyway mine does. The molar is her 9th tooth. BUT her friend in Alaska (also a Sept babe) has 12- probably 14 by now!

I agree that lots of pooping and a tender butt is probably related to teething. Cis always gets a kind of rash. I also think if they are fighting any kind of virus or something they always seem to nurse more and then poop more. Anyway, that's what Cis does.

I just heard about Our Babies Ourselves from someone else. It sounds good!

Cecilia drinks from a cup now! She likes my squirt bottle, too, but at the table uses a cup. That sippy cup phase was fast! She even sets it down and has begun refraining from giving her food a drink. I have little glass jelly jars that are perfect for little hands.

Good luck with the midwives, pg mamas! I just loved mine so much, it's such a neat relationship.

okay, back to work, meg

#179 ·
GabeMom said:
maylea_moon said:
hitting is definately becoming an issue. I don't know what to do! He loves to hit and pull my hair. I know he thinks he's just playing but I can't make him stop.

Quote:

Hi! I haven't written much on this thread because it would take me so much time to catch up, but I caught a bit and wanted to share my experiences with you. When ds picks up something new that I don't like (we've done hitting, biting, and hair pulling) and he laughs about it, I just make it into a game. I was kind of afraid it would backfire and he would always think these things were funny, but it actualy worked! If he'd hit, I'd take his hand and hit the couch instead. We would both laugh and he'd usually want to repeat it several times. After about a week, the behavior would be gone. It was like he was trying to learn limits and by making it playful, I could save my big "no's" for electrical outlets and the oven.
thanks i will try that!

#180 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiValleySteph
How's that for delurking?
Well hi Steph!! Good to see you again!!

T is sick
with some yucky poopy bug and a fever. Last night he woke up at 12:30 just miserable and hot, his temp was 103.5. He kept waking up and all he really wanted was to be held and snuggled, so finally I said "to h* with Jo's fear that she's going to roll onto him" and laid him between us, at which he protested until he realized there was a breast in his face :LOL and guess what, Jo didn't roll onto him! She says she didn't realize that he was there, I guess that's how out of it we were last night. Motrin and Tylenol got rid of the fever and he was super happy waking up this morning but he's since gotten his fever back. Of course he has his (belated) 1-year well-baby visit this Friday, for which he will not be well at all, it seems. Oh well...

I gotta go get some food on. Jo and t are out replenishing our supply of baby drugs.

j

#181 ·
Hi, everyone! Welcome back, SiValleySteph! All's well here - the girls are growing like weeds. Raney is petite, too - everyone seems astounded when we tell them her age. She's now saying "good girl" to the dogs. :LOL Mieke CLEANED her room today - all by herself -
GASP! Dp said he just walked in this afternoon and she was picking up all her things and putting them away. Be still my heart.

Haven't been posting much but am reading all posts!

#182 ·
Whew!! 4 pages to catch up on!!

We're going nuts around here - Go tback last night from our lovely and fun trip to the beach (except RObin got a little cold while out of town w/o clint, which was exhausting) - and I've been running like a maniac since. Plus my family (mom, dad and brother) are coming tomorrow to stay for a few days - and my house is a disaster. I've decided not to worry about that. But I'm also trying to close on our new mortgage byt hte end of the month, and I'm in charge of the petition effort opposing a walmart supercenter, and SIL and I are doing a booth at the Halloween carnival at Robin and my neice's school! I feel like a crazy woman. Oh, and my new tutoring job, on top of subbing. Oy!!

But I'm glad to read how every one is doing, and so glad to see you new/returning mamas!!

Robin is cutting her last 2 teeth - thank goodness. Her mouth is officially full!

On climbing: RObin gets up on the kitchen table if we don't tuck the chairs under, so I consider the coffee table a safe other choice :LOL . SHe also can do her little tikes slide and her big step 2 slide all by herself. But, when I wanted to leaver her alone in the den when I did worry about her climnbing on the coffee table, I would turn it over. Then she couldn't climb it, and I would turn it right side up when I was able to monitor her more closely. Of course, it's not too heavy and it goes without saying that we don't keep anything on it!

Vitamins - we're using Floradix iron plus herbs. It's a natural, liquid food-based vitamin/herbal supplement. ANybody else using it? We've just started and her poo smells like wretched death. But her iron is low.

alright, gotta go - I'll share pix as soon as I can.

#183 ·
Meg -- Forgot to say that yes, my whole family is from Alaska. Most of them are commercial fishermen. I was born and raised there and moved away when I was 17. DH is from there too, used to be a Bering Sea Crabber...

Thor just broke his bottom two molars. That makes, let's see, 12 teeth! The molars took so long... I'm dreading the rest of them, but hoping maybe he'll be done teething around 20 months, just before the new baby comes.

Oh, and last night Thor slept in his own bed from 8:30p-2am. Oh. My. Gosh!! That's never happened! Of course then he was wide awake from 2-3, playing in our bed, giving us opened mouth kisses in the dark, crawling all over us. Finally I got up and got him a snack of graham crackers and milk and nursed him for a while and he fell asleep until 7:30 when we had to leave for school.

Jen -- Hope Tristan feels better soon. Thor missed his 12 month well-baby because he was sick. I still have to reschedule it. He'll probably be 15 months by then!

Welcome Steph!

#185 ·
Well, I think I have recovered from the ILs visit! It wasn't too bad, but it also was exhausting and frustrating. My ILs are the kind of people who can't ever let you do anything for them, so they raked our leaves, washed the dishes, fixed our central vac, added salt to our water softner, changed the furnace filters, bought us lightbulbs . . . you get the idea. Which is all very kind, but they will never just sit down and visit. The only time they will stop is if they are eating. So it is exhausting to try to do things before they get to them, so that they will not spend all their time doing stuff. They are such workaholics, and they hardly spent any time with Andrew, and then when they did they fed him apples off our tree (they are all soft and gross) and basically overstimulated him like crazy so that he was fussy and tired for a day and a half after they left! But we got through it and only got into one small argument, and I mostly put up with all the "oh, Jill, why don't you give him some more vegetables. I'm sure he'll thin right out if you start giving him more veggies." Andrew is not thin, but he's not fat, he's just chubby. He is 27 lbs, but he's also 31 in. tall.

Anyway, it's over and they're gone back to a land far, far away where they can only bother my answering machine.

Well, Andrew is getting molars too and he's grouchy and dh is amusing him right now, but he has to go to work, so I'll post more later.

#186 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AugustineM
Of course then he was wide awake from 2-3, playing in our bed, giving us opened mouth kisses in the dark, crawling all over us.
Rowan does that almost every night! He goes down at about 9pm and then around 1 or 2 am he thinks it's playtime.

#188 ·
Hi, mamas!

Steph, good to see you again!
Are you guys still in San Jose? We were in Santa Cruz for 6 months, but are now back here in TX. We miss it out there!

I've been very busy with various things around here - not feeling quite as crazy but still overwhelmed! I keep losing track of what I have to do! So, I haven't been spending much time on MDC.

Iain is walking so confidently - almost running now! Tonight we were walking four of us across, all holding hands. He was holding on to his big brother's hand and mine. So cute! Would've loved a picture, too, as we were all decked out in Astros gear!!

I haven't checked to see if his molar has finally broken through or not, but he's working hard on it. He's got 5 front teeth, though. He's had a cold for the last week or so - can't tell how much is teething related.

Anyhow, gotta run and get some stuff done before heading to bed... Just wanted to say Hi!!

#189 ·
Our benevolent dictator Andrew is becoming despotic! I know he is teething, but does he really need to scream at me this much? Not only do I have to carry our majesty, but I need to carry him to see and touch the things he feels the need to see and touch. If one of them happens to be off limits then its "off with your head". Oh, the loyal subjects are close to revolution today, I tell you.

Bookshelves: I forget who mentioned that they were looking for a way to face books out. Someone on the decluttering / organizing section suggested this: rain gutter bookshelves. Here's the link:

www.trelease-on-reading.com/oliver.html

I'm sure you could also find stuff on it if you just googled "rain gutter bookshelves". I thought it was a cool idea and may do it. HOpe that helps. HOpe you're all having a better day than we are.
Jill

#190 ·
Hey Y'all!

Do you think colds and molars/teething are related? I think they must be, somehow although my MIL who is a DR says it isn't. Whatever- I say it is. It seems like a lot of our kids have colds/teething/molars right now! I hope T is better soon, Jen. Keep on the baby drugs. I hate giving them, but ibu./tylenol works! And I hear ya, Jill about the screaming. Man, is that tough to be patient through. Your post was funny :LOL

Oh, have you guys looked at Oompa toys online? I really want one of their little pull toys for Cecilia.

Augustine, that's funny. My dh and I worked Cook Inlet commerical fishing before we moved down here. I worked the cannery through college for summer $. We both miss fishing but it is nice to have steady, dependable income. The rest of my family is still in Kenai. Ironically, my good friend that I met through LLL is from AK also; she has family in Dillingham and was raised in Anchorage. It's a small world after all...

And a note on that 'night weaning' that we were doing so well on?!!! Well, Cecilia has finally connected the rocking chair with nursing. Greg has thoughtfully taught her how to slide off our bed, so for the last few nights at about 2 am, she slides off the bed, walks over to the chair and shrieks until I come over. Grrrr. Then she goes back to sleep until 7:30 or so, thankfully. It's cute, but I'm feeling silly. Greg laughed and laughed when he saw her do it. I suppose there really is something to be said for just letting it go however instead of trying to train them to do what you want. Sigh.

Becca; you are amazing. Can you teach me how to fit so much in my day and still be so cheerful?!

#192 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by midwestmeg
Hey Y'all!
Now, Meg, yer in Minnesoooooota, yer sapoooooosta say "hey, yooooou guysss!" We knoooooow yer not from da south, dere. (OK, this bad Minnesota accent is much better in person, and you ought to hear me get going with it after a glass of wine or two, yah. Sign me up fer da movie Fargoooooo!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg again
Do you think colds and molars/teething are related?
Yes, I do believe that teething does something to make the immune system vulnerable, although science doesn't back me up.

T had his 1-year appt today (a month and a few days late!), 31.5 inches and 22.25 pounds! He didn't enjoy waiting (and waiting, and waiting...) for the doctor, got squirrely in the tiny room... he had a finger poke to test his hemoglobin and lead (we live in a house built in 1911 and want to make sure that he's not getting lead from somewhere...) and he didn't mind the finger stick, but he did NOT like the nurse milking his finger to get the blood out.

Happy weekends!

j

#193 ·
Jen you're funny! I'll work on that accent. I have lots of folks to help me, since we live around a lot of old german farmers.

I think that teething must somehow depress the immune system, too! How can mothers be wrong......

We had the lead test also. Cecilia didn't fuss once. She just watched. Apparently, her pain tolerance is pretty good. It was harder for me to watch them milk the blood- yukkie!

I'm outta here.... happy weekend!

#194 ·
Quote:

Becca; you are amazing. Can you teach me how to fit so much in my day and still be so cheerful?!

Ha! I've been going nuts! really and truly nuts. Yesterday almost gave me a breakdown - hauling my whole family up to Warm Springs (40 min away) in 2 cars to have dinner with my GFIL, which I had to cook before hand, plus all the stupid mortgage paperwork had me running around all day. And of course, who was responsible for cleaning up after dinner
: ? I was steamed. Clint did pitch in, but only after a very huffy comment under my breath.

I taught home ec today, which was really funny in an ironic way. And my folks took us out to dinner, leading me to a new conclusion: Until Robin is more verbal and will st in her high chair through dinner, I am no longer going to restaurants that don't have either a playground or a fenced in outside area.
There is no longer any joy in eating out - Clint and I race to finish and take turns - literally - taking RObin outside the restaurant to run and squeal. Tonight he put her in the backpack and walked outside with her until we ordered, then from the time we ordered until appetizers came (mmmm...samosa) and then again until the food came. SHe's such a crazy monkey, it's no fun any more. But if there's a contained area where she can play (like Jason's deli has), I'll do that. She was screeching with joy int he restaurant just to hear the echo.

Robin learned a new trick from my neice: RIng Around the ROsy. SHe grabs my hands (and somebody elses if they'll play too) and leans her head into the direction we're walking with this big open-mouth grin, and when we get to the "They all fall down" she sits down and laughs. It's so cute! I'm amazed that she gets it. CLint has also taught her "GO!" by saying "ready, set, GO!" and running on Go - so now she says "GO" and runs or, more likely, expects you to run. She loves tellingm y neice to go and amazingly my neice will do it.

THe beach was fun: RObin was absolutley fearless at getting in the water and climingo n the sand. Clint came for one day b/c he was going on a fishing trip 10 miles away (SIL andI planned our beach trip close to the boys' fishing trip so we might see them there) BIL drove in from New Orleans, where he's been working hurricane clean-up as a FEMA contractor, so I let him and SIL take the single room, meaning Robin and I bunked with SIL's sister, who hates me, and my nece. It kinda sucked b/c every time RObin woke up - which was lots b/c she got a cold - I had to leave the room, thus waking myself up all the way. One night I swear I was mostly up from 1-5. But it was the beach - I can't really complain.

The tough part is I was single-parenting for a week b/tw my travels and CLint's, and then as soon as we both got home, my folks came to visit. I need to return to normal, ya know? I need a day at home in our regular schedule.

Alright, I think I might watch an episode of Sex and the City and go to sleep (CLint borrowed the 6th season DVD set, and it's my new guilty pleasure) (except I can't really muster up any guilt)

Meg - sorry to hear about the nightweaning glitch. We were trying NCSS a few months ago, but it was like RObin became paranoid - she started really waking up and fussing when I'd break the latch. It made getting her down really tough and was very discouraging to me. If ever my parents leave, I'm going to try the nursing her and putting her to bed with DH approach when she wakes up at night. But I need the guest bed to sleep in...

Jilly - Sorry to hear your leader has turned on you. Glad the IL visit is done. Andrew sounds about the same size as my nephew, which is definitely solid but not fat!

Almameil - My nephew only has 5 teeth. He still is eating really soft foods and even (jarred) baby foods. WHat is Raney eating? SIl has me nervous about what he can eat - I'm giving RObin all people food at this point, except when I try to use up the tons of baby food I made in the freezer.

Jen - luv that ack-sent!

Wish me luck - there's another big yard sale I'm hitting tomorrow!

#195 ·
Quote:

Augustine, that's funny. My dh and I worked Cook Inlet commerical fishing before we moved down here. I worked the cannery through college for summer $. We both miss fishing but it is nice to have steady, dependable income. The rest of my family is still in Kenai. Ironically, my good friend that I met through LLL is from AK also; she has family in Dillingham and was raised in Anchorage. It's a small world after all...
:LOL :LOL This is hilarious. We probably know each other! My dad has commercial fished in Cook Inlet for 34 years. He was granfathered in. His boat is the Three Rivers (a speed boat) and he sells to Inlet Salmon (used to be Trans Aqua). I deckhanded for him from 18-25. Then I worked on the Trans Aqua dock weighing fish and running the crane for several years. And hanging out at the T-bar when I was off....
Also, DH grew up setnetting in Cook Inlet. I grew up in Soldotna. What boat did you work on? Which canneries? My uncle owns Snug Harbor Seafoods. I know most of the boats in the fleet from fishing on my dad's boat so many years...

I absolutely love commerical salmon fishing in Cook Inlet. It's such a safe, family friendly fishery. Too bad it's basically dying out, though my dad is trying to get DH and I to take over his boat and permit...

The ILs are here now. It's going OK so far but only been 2 days and they're not staying with us, thank god!!

#196 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yo Becca
WHat is Raney eating?
:LOL Everything that we eat! I have to say that with kid number two, she gets whatever we get but cut up in smaller pieces - if she's lucky.

I'm so happy that I have NOTHING planned for this weekend! Between the new job and two weekends in a row with weddings, I am so looking forward to spending the entire weekend at home with the girls! Dp has a gig in cleveland tomorrow night, but we (the girls and I) are just going to have a cuddle fest all weekend.

#197 ·
Hey ladies!

Not much to say today, just wanted to let you know I'm here. Been feeling kinda out of it lately... borderline depression perhaps. Just feeling low energy and stuff, wanting to sleep a lot and not really connecting with anyone.

Went to a movie last night with Mielle in tow.... didn't work so well. She was squirmy and fussy and very distracted by the sounds and sights. I found myself super frustrated and embarrassed. She just didn't settle down and nurse to sleep, so we ended up taking turns holding her off in the aisle/tunnel on the side of the theatre. I almost decided to leave, but really wanted to see the movie. "Serenity" the movie is based on "Firefly" a tv show that didn't make it, and we are hoping that it will get re-picked up and continue after this. It was such a great series!

Been dabbling in some home sales stuff lately.... Pampered Chef and Melaleuca am considering trying to sell one or the other. Am interested in both and need to find some way to bring in money!!!!

anyway, hope all is well with the mamas!
Love

#198 ·
My son called the cops on me two days ago!

I was talking on the phone to MIL and she asked to say hi to Alex. After holding the phone to his ear, he threw such a fit when I took it back that I hung up with her and gave him the phone to play with. Twenty minutes later the doorbell rings, and there's two cops standing there! They said, "We just had a 911 call from this house with sounds of a baby playing in the background." I went to find the phone and sure enough, it was still off the hook! How embarrassing! I apologized profusely and the cops said it happens all the time. Note to self - don't let the baby play with the phone - sheesh!

Anyway, still feeling like total caca here..

Here's some pics from Alex's birthday:

pictures

#200 ·
Robin's last 2 teeth are sure a pain in the butt...literally - she's got the worst diaper rash ever, complete with crying and grabbing her crotch at every pee/poop/diaper change. My poor girl. and of course, congestion, fever, diarreah, etc. I'll be so glad when these bust through and we'll be done for a while!

I finally got time to check out y'all's latest links!

Cynthia - Desi is beatiful, and I love her little ballerina costume! Looks like a fun trip to the punkin patch!

Anna - The Melaleuca stuff looks really nice, but I think you might do better with pampered chef. At least around hree, people know PC stuff, and it has a great reputation. People want to get it and to give it as gifts, you can invite anybody to a PC party. Plus, at least for me, I have a hard time justifying getting pricey toiletries and household stuff. Like, if I'm going to spen money on something I want it to last or be a good gift - so PC stuff woud get my vote. Hope you feel better soon. My hormones have been all over the place for months, and it sends my energy all over the place too. I wrote a big P on my hand yesterday to try to remind myslef ot have patience and be positive. And, see above - I'm not going to adult places with RObin anymore. It's just no fun for me anymore. Do you have any family or friends close by who can babysit? Take a date night - or do a date night trade with another couple with kids. Clint and I have been doing this with our BIL/SIL and it's been fun.

Stacy - Alex's party looks fun. Your DH is a cutie! THis MS has got to be improving soon - hang in there! Robin called 911 from my MIL's house last week. SHe (MIL) had found the phone and hung it up. Then we got a call from the 911 folks to check if there really was an emergency. FOrtunately, they didn't bring up the real 911 call a month ago for RObin's dog bite.

Jen - I couldn't see the leaf pix. Dd I take too long?

Almameil - have fun doing nuttin. My SIL tries to protect my nephew and his few-teeth self, but that kid is trying to eat anything that even remotely resembles food...

Meg - do you sing "Cecilia" to Cecilia? That would be hard to resist. Robin gets "Rocking RObin" every now and then

#201 ·
Sorry, Becca, dunno why, it doesn't seem to want to share anymore - I'll keep working on it.

T is better but went to bed last night at 6 PM and woke up at 2:30 thinking it was time to start the day
Jo actually packed him into the car and took him to the grocery store. This would have been great except for the fact that he went back to sleep at 5:30 and woke up again at 7, and I thought that Jo was getting up with him so when she didn't, boy, was I peeved. It was a less than stellar morning. Plus I've been in pain all day, the chiropractor did something that makes my right shoulder hurt like crazy and going back did it no good... so I've pretty much been taking a lot of advil. How's that for holistic...?
ok, I gotta go to bed. nigh-nigh, j

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.