Sept 2004 Mamas - Welcome to Toddlerhood! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 271 Old 10-28-2005, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Becca, glad you're feeling better!

Savannah, hugs. That sounds brutal. I agree that you're just going to have to accept that you're not going to get their approval and find a way to deal with it. Even though they're being crazy you don't have to be.

Anna, I hope all went well with the ex.

Jillian -- great name! Welcome aboard! YOu have to jump in on this thread or YOu'll never get a word in edgewise

Oh my goodness, I am SO BORED today! It is rainy and cold, and the stroller got left out last night, so its also wet and cold. Sigh. I have already baked bread, vacuumed, almost finished reading a book, eaten breakfast and lunch, did laundry . . . how am I going to survive the winter? Andrew and I are so tired of each other already today. Well, he is screaming because I wouldn't let himb bang the keyboard with a hairbrush, so I must go and be a good mommy. I am going to die this winter. Maybe I'll break down and get cable. :

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#242 of 271 Old 10-28-2005, 06:47 PM

mmm..Homemade bread....sounds good jilly. I lost 4 pounds on the pnuemonia diet. It's fantastic, you don't eat anything, throw up a little bit, but don't have any hunger pains at all . But now that I'm eatng again I'm having bizarre cravings...like rainbow sherbet, which I've never requested once in my life.

Anna - how did it go? It's good to get closure on that kind of stuff.

We're big humidifier fans around here, and I do think they help Robin sleep better.

Well, I broke down and bought Robin "real" shoes today. She is in love with the outdoors - begs to go out, cries when we come in. and with it getting cold and wet, I want more between the ground and her feet than socks and a piece of leather. Plus, she's been walking for 5 months now - I'm not concerned about her stability. Of course, they reommended the hightop, and I declined. She's done fine w/o ankle support so far, and I would find it really annoying. We narrowed it down to 2 pairs, one really cute, one really practical - and my mom, being my mom, said let's buy both! so she bought one and I bought the other. One is a pair of basic stride rite T-strap mary janes (white) (http://www.striderite.com/shopping/p...iProductID=256) and the other is a cute hot pink mary jane with flowers on the strap and a squeaker in the heel! (http://www.beesqueaky.com/shoes.htm the SQL233 in hot pink) Robin loved them - she was stomping in the store to make them squeak and grinning! But you can remove the squeaker if it gets annoying.

We did buy them in 2 different sizes, so as to be at least a little practical, and we paid less than the internet prices.

Cynthia - we had a similar vote in GA in 2004, and I was so disappointed in how our state voted. But the fact is that the people who vote in the largest numbers don't always represent the majority opinion - and unfortunately the poeple who agree with me don't get out the vote as much as the radical right does - and they are well-funded to get voters out. The hate movements are recruiting on a much larger scale than those who favor justice.

ALright - y'all have good nights!
#243 of 271 Old 10-28-2005, 06:50 PM

HeatherB, I'm still in San Jose! I hope you enjoyed your stay in Santa Cruz.

Yo Becca, I'm glad you're on the mend. Sorry you both were so ill!

I just rejoined and I'm already hopelessly behind!

I wanted to share a couple pictures from the pumpkin patch so you would have an updated picture of my little one. I last shared pictures when he was 3-1/2 months old (from our trip to China if anyone remembers)!

Picture 1
Picture 2

We have been having a bit of a rough patch recently. Lucas was sick over the weekend and he just moved up to a new room in daycare. It's an adjustment for all of us becuase we had all really come to love his old room and the teachers so much. The new room is great, though, because he plays outside twice a day and he loves that. The challenge is that they have a set nap time, on cots, they are to drink out of sippies (no bottles), and they sit at tables to eat. It seems so grown up!

I stressed to the caregiver yesterday that I wanted to be sure if he was going to drink one bottle of milk that it should be the breastmilk! I've stopped pumping, but he is still getting 1 bottle of thawed breastmilk a day as I clear out my freezer stash.

Are your kids signalling when they want to breastfeed? He's starting patting either my chest or his when he wants a drink now. It's so cute. Much cuter than a few weeks ago when he would pull on my neckline and look down my shirt. Ok, that was pretty cute, too.
#244 of 271 Old 10-28-2005, 07:19 PM

You ladies will never guess what. I don't know if any of you read my post about Rowan's pimply rash and cough and thinking he was allergic to our kittens or not but guess what? I took him to the Dr yesterday and he's not allergic to the kitties, he has the measles!! I can't even believe it's measles. When I think "measles" I think of some deadly virus and he doesn't have a fever or anything. He has a rash and a cough but other than that he's happy as a clam. Odd isn't it? The Dr told me just to put Eucerin on the rash and be on the lookout for a fever. He also has an ear infection in his right ear due to the virus. Measles! Never would have thought!

I have a question about the ear infection...The Dr prescribed antibiotics but I'm hesitant to give them to him because I've heard if you give a child antibiotics they won't develop an immunity. I bought some natural ear drops with garlic oil and olive oil that I've been giving him and I also have been giving him Echinacea drops. He seems happy and fine and the ear isn't bothering him so the drops and Echinacea should be enough right?

Alia + Brian proud parents to Rowan (9/8/04) Lila (9/3/07) and Rhys (6/11/10)
#245 of 271 Old 10-28-2005, 10:34 PM

Wow, maylea moon! That is really cool that Rowan has the measles! I've been reading more about the MMR (thinking I won't do it with Cis) and it's not always easy for kids to get exposed now with everyone vaccinated, but it's important they do for immunity. So, sorry you have a sick kid, but it sounds like he's doing okay and how amazing that he has the measles!

As far as the antibiotics, he will develop natural immunity even if he has a round of antibiotics BUT if he's not super sick, I think the drops and echinachea should be okay. I've only done antibiotics after 1) Cecilia's ear drum ruptured (yes, I felt like a terrible mom and 2) when she had a really crazy fever (although I think I panicked and should have let it be).

SO speaking of sick kids and antibiotics, quick everyone, tell me how many times your one year olds have taken them. And yes, I'll be jealous when you tell me never. Cecilia just finished hers up and she is NOT BETTER :

I have now officially reached the 'I will try anything stage'. I have just eliminated dairy from our diets, thinking that is the next thing I can try. They say sometimes chronic ear things are related to an allergy. Although I never take antibiotics (I'm not sick much) I think they are okay when you need them but Cecilia has had ear problems off and on since JULY or something and medicine IS JUST NOT THE ANSWER. I'm so frusterated. I started highlighting Michael Schmitz's book 'Childhood Ear Infections' and I'm going to try a chiroquack.

Yes, Steph, the nursing signals are super cute! Cecilia assumes the position and starts pushing at my shirt. Or she just starts trying to mouth my left boob through my shirt. We only nurse on one side, goofy huh. I wear a fakey on the right side to even them out. Now you guys probably have a great mental picture of me! lol!

Jill, how are you getting so much done?!!!!

Cute shoes, Becca! I am loving little kid shoes. I'm also glad you are feeling better.

I think I'll get a humidifier this weekend. Bed, Bath and Barf, as we call it is in town.

Anna, we need a report! How did your night go?

Savannah, I thought you had a good perspective on your MIL. Still sucks, though. You were a trooper to put up with it all. What a hard situation to be in.

Using the issue of same sex marriage is a huge diversion tactic to take people's minds away from what's really important, I believe. Instead of worrying about same sex marriages we should be worrying about if there will be people around to get married, or if we will just need to immediately ship them off to fight. Whoa, sorry to get heavy there.

Okay, Greg has once again taken Cecilia with him to do visiting this evening and completely forgotten about BEDTIME. Off to track them down. meg

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#246 of 271 Old 10-28-2005, 11:24 PM

Steph, Lucas is so cute!!!!! I love the pumpkin patch pictures. Fall is my favorite season.

Becca, Get well!!!! 4 lbs! That's alot....or is that a good thing? Yeah it sucks that thr right wing is more apt to vote. I did try to spread the word though. I called all my friends and told people I knew that would vote no.

Alia~ That's cool about the measles. Natural immunization right there.

Megan, Desi had to take antibiotics once...on her bday she went to the ER for a UTI. She hated it.

I got to tandem nurse today!!!! I watched a friend's baby and they nursed together, holding hands. They're both sleeping right now...Nevermind one woke upl
#247 of 271 Old 10-29-2005, 12:34 AM

Alia I have read that antibiotics make very little difference in how quickly ear infections go away, and if it's viral, they will make absolutely no difference whatsoever since antibiotics only work against bacteria. I would work to make sure it goes away, though, as one of the main lasting reminders of measles can be hearing loss. Keep up that garlic oil for sure!

Megan Tristan only had one dose of antibiotics when the GP in our clinic mis-diagnosed him with strep when he actually had hand, foot and mouth disease (a virus). We gave him a dose at the dr's office before I went home with a scrip which I of course immediately filled. So we have a large bottle of Omnicef sitting in our cabinet now : the worst part about the whole thing is that the doctor never apologized for getting it wrong, even after we ended up going to the ER at Children's twice, worried about dehydration. Oh, and I can speak personally about the adjustments that chiropractors do to facilitate ear drainage, because my chiro did it on me when I had way stuffed-up sinuses - it worked. It may really be worth your time to look into it, even if you think chiropractors are quacks (which they're not *nudge* )

OK, since I fell asleep with T nursing him to sleep, I think I had better go myself. Night night... j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#248 of 271 Old 10-29-2005, 04:01 AM

i just wanted to mention that something I take to strengthen my immunity when I'm feeling a cold coming on is Olive Leaf Extract. I dont' know if its safe for children though so you'll have to check on that.

Measles how uncommon, but great that he can build up the immunity. I'm glad he's okay.

Has anyone else here been still nursing while pregnant? Lately my boobs hurt sooo bad when my dd nurses. And the pain doesn't go away. I don't know if its because they're swelling or what, but it hurts!! My colostrum is in too, and my milk has decreased again, I don't know what to do about it, i guess just wait it out.

i'm tired....must sleeeeeeeep.
#249 of 271 Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 AM

That's so wild about the measles!

No antibiotics yet here...the only illness she's had other than a cold is the flu last winter, but she was over it way before I was...knock on wood....

Anna, I'm dying to know what happened with the ex!

Savannah, I'm so sorry about your in-laws. What crazy cooks. I don't know if I've told you this, but we haven't spoken to my ILs since Kate's bday in Sept. because of how they acted. FIL refused to come b/c he apparently hates me unbeknownst to me until that day! DH talks to his mom on the phone every once in a while and they just fight....but no contact with his dad....and there are no plans for them to see their first and only gc any time soon. Sad, but also really pisses me off. :

Love the shoes Becca. Kate is just starting to walk. She takes a few steps and then plop.
#250 of 271 Old 10-29-2005, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
Anna, I'm dying to know what happened with the ex!
Thank you guys for thinking of me. It was super hard and scary... I nearly threw up from nerves, but it turned out really well. A mutual friend of ours was the one who suggested / dared me to show up, so he was there to support me, and a good friend of mine went with me, so i had back up.

My ex is a musician, and was playing at this bar... so when I got there he was in the middle of a performance, but it turned out it was just him playing acoustically, not the whole band. I couldn't believe how much the same he seemed! I knew about half the songs he was singing by heart! Our mutual friend goaded me into drinking tequila shots right away and insisted I should get my ex a shot and bring it to him.... onstage. I bought the shots but waited untill a set break and approached him in a less public moment. He was super nice and friendly, we talked for almost 15 minutes, catching up with each other and talking about people we knew in common. He told me all about band stuff and invited me to come to another gig this Saturday. I asked him for a hug as he got ready to go back on stage and he gave me a really nice hug.

I ended up staying there until Jerome joined me around midnight, and eventually we headed back to my mom's house to pick up Mielle. This was the first time I've ever been drunk around my daughter... very strange. Jerome went in first and had little talk with her, warning her that mama was drunk and that she needed to have patience with me. I swear, she understood! She barely paid me any attention at my mom's house, she just wanted Papa! He cooked me a grilled sandwich and I drank a bunch of water. She slept like a rock that night, only waking twice during the rest of the night!!! I had to get up with her in the morning, while nursing a hangover, but all in all I got off light.

So, the weird thing about all this is that I don't feel any closure, in fact it feels like something has been re-opened. I've been having flashbacks of our life together, with textures smells and sounds. Things like the fabric on our sofa, the smell of cleaning products, the park near our apartment, old friends, songs he sang, his smile and laugh.... Lots of good memories which I haven't given myself "permission" to think about in a long, long time. I feel like I'm mourning the loss of... something that I haven't let myself mourn. And wondering where I go from here... he seemed open to at least a superficial friendship which is a big improvement from the outright hostility of the past. However, I am hesitant to be to friendly too fast and ruin the progress I've made.

Besides, I have my own life that doesn't include him. It's not like I want him back or anything, I just would really like to have his friendship back, he was the best friend I'd ever had... untill Jerome.

The coolest thing about all this is how much Jerome has supported me and connected with me during this situation. He believes in me and in our marriage so deeply that it seems like this has brought us even closer together. He held me while I cried this morning and told me that he is "proud of my courage and honored to be my friend"... awww.. so sweet.

so, there's the update. In the time since I have been horribly premenstraul and Mielle seems to be teething or something, she's been whiney and clingey and is driving me nuts! I brought her into town to my mom's house so I wouldn't strangle her! LOL Even my mom is commenting on how grouchy she's being. So, I should get off the computer and go interact with the rest of the family.

Later.

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#251 of 271 Old 10-30-2005, 01:35 AM

Sitara - One of my girlfriends nursed throughout her pg with #2 - her DS reduced nursings but didn't cut them out - but he was older than our kids are - he was 23 months when the second was born. But ultimately, if the eldest is eatng well, I think they get what they need between the food and BM - hope this is helpful.

Cute pumpkin pix Steph!. He looks like a grown up boy!

Antibiotics - Robin went on them at 11 months for a severe ear infection - she went on a nursing strike and was in clear pain, and it was baterial b/c it all started with a bacterial eye infection I had. THen on the day of her last dose, she got bitten, so that was 10 more days on amoxicillan. SO, it was one really long stretch. What I've read is that if the child has chronic ear infections, they aren't likely helped by antibiotics - but they worked in RObin's case. And I have another girlfriend whose DS had chronic ear infections, and they went away immediately when she started taking him to the chiro. I don't get it either, but it worked for her like a charm. SHe stopped taking him after a while, they came back.

My Tale of woe today:
We inherited a really nice fridge a few years ago from DH's g'ma and installed it in our house in atlanta. So, when we moved here, but were trying to sell our house there, we put a ratty hand-me-down fridge that made alien sounds in this house (and helped my parents move ther huge nce one to their new house). A few months ago, we got given a slightly nicer fridge, so we moved the ratty one into the laundry room and the nicer one in the kitchen. Well, we sold the house in atlanta a few weeks ago, so we had to move out the nice fridge, move the old one back in, and put th enice fridge in the garage here. TOday, our mission was the great fridge flip-flop: nice one from garage to kitchen, back-up from kitchen to laundry, scary one from laundry to garage, to be passed on. Each one had to be cleaned. Each one is a different size. NONE have EVER fit through the door/hall/door series leading to the kitchen easily. All told, we have made I think 11 fridge moves in this whole process, including the removal of 3 doors, 2 door knobs, a screen door, and 2 fridge handles, and had to haul a fridge up and down the back deck stairs (10 of them) twice. And load a fridge into and out of CLint's super high F-350 twicce. I am officially over it. THese are the fridges I'm sticking with until they DIE. And to anyone who ever custom builds a house: NO doors narrower than 36" between the outside and any appliance location!

(It didn't help matters that the ice maker faucet exploded, Clint turned off the water at the street to fix it and then we couldn't get it to come back on - had a plumber friend come and eventually called the water works guys - and RObin missed her bath last night, so I kept her up so she could finally get one at 9 when the water got turned back on)

Happy sundays everybody!

Oh - I have to order more Bummis SWWs - what's your fave diaper source? I alway use nopins4baby.com, but I'm looking for other options too.
#252 of 271 Old 10-30-2005, 01:29 PM

My favorite diaper source is www.diaperco.com Enter coupon code MDC10 for a 10% discount.

I am pregnant and nursing and my nips hurt too. Although I am only 9 1/2 weeks along, so it may be different than being near the end like you are, Sitara.

I don't do antibiotics unless it were an extreme situation, and Alex has never had any antibiotics nor ever been sick. However, yesterday evening he had his first fever. He was really listless and yawning and hot to the touch, and I took his temp and it was 101.3. I sent dh out to get some baby Tylenol and I thought it might be a fight to get him to take it, but he sucked it right down. He had a very rough night, waking up about every hour, but the fever finally broke and he was 98.6 this morning and happy. But Mom is exhausted! I think I will have to get a look in his mouth for the suspected tooth, because he doesn't appear to be sick.

Savannah - What is up with your IL's?? You have my sympathy.. My maternal grandmother died this week and I will be coming to Phoenix on Friday. The funeral is Saturday, but I will be there for 5 days. Maybe we could meet up? PM me if you want to.
#253 of 271 Old 10-30-2005, 02:06 PM

Sitara -- I'm also pregnant and nursing and having a tough time of it. I'm the same as Stacy -- about 9 weeks. Nip pain comes and goes. It was really bad at about 5 weeks, then went away for a while, and now is back. Thor knew at first, and tried to nurse and nurse and nurse because I think I had less supply. He also totally upped his intake of solid foods and milk. Now I'm working on getting him to nurse less at night, and I am doing some distracting during the day because he loves nursing and wants to nurse too frequently for me! Sometimes I just get this antsy feeling when he nurses like MUST STOP NOW!! But I'm not sure why that is.

Thor's never had antibiotics, but never been that sick. He's just had two little colds with runny noses. He just broke his 13th and 14th teeth, the two bottom canines. He broke four molars about three weeks ago. Gosh, I swear, he's a teething machine.

Anna -- That was a really cool story about trying to get closure with an ex. And so sweet what your DH said! I almost cried! I could picture myself in that situation because I have a very prominant ex -- we were together for almost 5 years, traveled together, and then were very close friends after we broke up, when DH and I met. DH and him are even friends. But then ex moved back to Vermont. But I know what you mean about the past life coming back to you...

Savannah -- So sorry about the ILs. Mine are here now, and though they are nothing as bad as yours, I do know how stressful it can be! Peace to you.

Midwestmeg -- Got your email! How funny that we met up this way!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#254 of 271 Old 10-30-2005, 06:20 PM

Thanks, you guys for all your replies on ears/antibiotics and the like. All the things you said made sense. I am aware that most ear things are viral, I don't know why I've been talked into antibiotics so many times. Well, I do know. Even though I have the 'just tough it out' attitude, sometimes I freak when I see a little sick kid!!

Okay, Jen, I don't TOTALLY think chiropractors are quacks, I just know SOME of them are. Thanks for the nudge. I do have one to check out through my LL group; he's super holistic and I'm hoping he'll help. All of a sudden chiropractors are seeming much more credible and doctors less so.

I'm also trying the no dairy thing and IT'S HARD. One of my girlfriends mentioned that vegetarians sometimes overcompensate in the dairy area and that seems to be me. So now I'm at a crossroads: great time to become a vegan or else I have to start eating some chicken to get a little protein. My FIL raises organic birds and he's always after us to take some (he's always running out of freezer space) so that would be easy. However, after being a vegetarian for 15 years I'm not sure.....

I like thanksmama for diapers. Ships fast and free shipping on orders over $25.

Wow, Anna, what a great night! I'm glad it went well.

Funny story about the fridge, Becca.

I didn't know that measles could cause hearing loss. The local AP list I belong to is having a discussion about vaccines right now. It's interesting, to say the least, what everyone's opinion about the subject is. The only thing I'll say is that I don't think anyone should ever make final decisions using only one reference source- grrr. The research nerd in me comes out.

gotta quit with these smilies

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#255 of 271 Old 10-31-2005, 01:18 AM

Hello, hello, all! Well, Andrew must have heard me complaining Iwas bored because he was a terror Fri. night. He woke up at 10:30 and was awake for 2 hours for no apparent reason, screaming and crying the whole time. It was crazy. I think it was his teeth -- he now has parts of two top molars, and I can feel the bottom two pushing. Poor baby. So since then I have been just giving him Advil every 8 hours. I know I probably shouldn't, but otherwise he's just such a grouchy bear and I can not handle him.

He's been SO funny in the last few days, though. he's just cracked me up all the time. This morning when I was getting ready for church I gave him a little travel hairbrush and he stood looking at himself in the full length mirror in our bathroom and "brushed" his hair. It was so cute. He has also started bringing me books and climbing up on my lap to have them read. And moving furniture. He's just all around cute and funny this week.

Antibiotics: never. Although whenever I take him to the doctor for anything they always tell me I can't have antibiotics (and I"m like "hello, I just wanted to find out what was happening, I don't NEED antibiotics). He had one viral ear infection, but other than that he has been mercifully healthy. It must be all that sand he eats boosting his immunity .

I am so excited because I was thinking of trying out some fitted dipes becuase he's way too squirmy and strong to use prefolds anymore . But then I didn't want to spend the money. And I took him over to some people I'm starting to get to know so they could watch him during confimration class on Saturday. And she said "oh, I see you're using cloth diapers. Do you want some of my old ones?" and of couse I said yes! I got 6 really cute, trim fitteds. They're not as absorbent as my prefolds, but they are SO much easier to put on. I'm so excited! If I like them, I might buy some more fitteds in a bigger size that will last him for a long time. What a score, eh?

Okay, so on the hormonal-but-not-getting-my-period-yet topic: please, God, let my period come soon! I swear I have been PMSing all month long. I have been so grumpy and tired and crampy, it is miserable! But can I just get it over with? No, that would be too easy. I guess this is my payback for not having had a period in 2 years. Oh well.

Well, I should take a shower and go to bed, I"m exhausted. Have a good night, all. Sorry I didn't respond to anyone specifically, but I've been reading sporadically over the weekend and I don't rememer anything really specific.

Jill

#256 of 271 Old 10-31-2005, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmeg
I didn't know that measles could cause hearing loss. The local AP list I belong to is having a discussion about vaccines right now. It's interesting, to say the least, what everyone's opinion about the subject is. The only thing I'll say is that I don't think anyone should ever make final decisions using only one reference source- grrr. The research nerd in me comes out.
I'm pretty sure the hearing thing is well-documented throughout the years.

And I agree - there is a woman in my playgroup that starts all of her statements with "the research I did on the internet says..." - well, it says whatever she wants it to say. You can always find *someone* on the internet to back you up. One of these days I will point this out to her.

Anyway, time for bed! T managed to hold out til 8:30 in spite of daylight savings ending (he usually goes to bed at 9). night, j

#257 of 271 Old 10-31-2005, 06:27 AM

Greetings all!

Got Lucy her first real shoes today -- StrideRites. I knew her Robeez etc. were not going to cut it in the Seattle rainy season, and indeed it is pouring as I write this. But the real occasion was her Pippi Longstocking Halloween costume. She has the Hanna Pippi rag doll (given to her by my mom last Christmas) which has brown lace-up shoes which fascinate Lucy, so it was critical to get something similar for the costume. We found some sturdy brown lace-up boots that will do for both real life & the one-time costume. She was so funny when she first walked in them today -- looked like her feet had been dipped in concrete. I'm sure she couldn't really feel the ground for the first time, but she figured it out pretty quickly.

I stayed up till 7 a.m. yesterday morning (but only 6 standard time -- yippee!) sewing the little lace-trimmed shorts and other essential features of the costume, channeling my mom, who used to make my sister and me our Halloween gear, for which, I'm afraid, we were insufficiently grateful at the time. I was thankful for my meager sewing skills, which were just enough for this little project. I am so impressed with all of you sewing people! This costume thing really made me feel like a parent, I must say. I hope she enjoys it half as much as we will.

I HATE STANDARD TIME. It was bad enough, getting dark at 6:00 -- now 5:00, and soon even earlier!! Grrr. I feel like the lid has come down on the world. It truly puzzles me every year -- why do we "save daylight" during the summer, when we have more than we need anyway, and give it up again in winter, when so many people barely see daylight when they must leave for work before sunrise & come home after sunset?

Happy Halloween everybody!!!

-- Lisa, a.k.a. Pippi's Mom

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
#258 of 271 Old 10-31-2005, 11:28 AM

Wow, measles! Hope it's a mild case for sure.

Anna, so amazing hearing your DH support you through this.

We had 13 families at our place on Saturday for our AP playgroup Halloween party. It was a lot of fun. But, Mari is at the stranger anxiety stage, which I'm secretly pleased about. It meant that mama or dada could not leave her side until she was ready to go off exploring on her own.

She is walking everywhere now and gets faster daily! More teeth are still coming in. She is really a riot.

She's never had any antibiotics. She has really only had 2 colds though. She's fairly hearty considering that she is around other kids all the time.

Holli
#259 of 271 Old 10-31-2005, 01:55 PM

: Lucas has been on antibiotics three times. And he had a 4th prescription that we threw out. He had a ruptured ear drum due to ear infection, so that was the first course. I think we did the 2nd due to ear infection also about a month later. He just recently had antibiotics again because he had a high fever for more than 5 days and had a lot of chest congestion. I was glad we ended up doing the antibiotics because he felt better right away. He tends to get a diaper rash due to the antibiotics even though we feed him a lot of yogurt. Poor kid.

For shoes, Lucas has a pair of See Kai Run shoes which we love! They are leather with flexible soles. Very cute, too, as an added bonus.

Thor has a lot of teeth like Lucas. He has the 1st 12, but I am pretty sure I see #13 peeking through. I am hoping for a respite from teething after these eye teeth come in. Maybe he will sleep longer if he's not teething? One can dream, right?

Is it strange that I've never known anyone that had measles?

We had an awesome weekend. We went to a birthday party for a 3 year old on Saturday and Lucas was right in there with the big kids. Yesterday we had one of our best dinners out in a while. Another family with 2 girls (maybe 4 & 6?) came in right after us and sat at the next table. They mesmerized Lucas for the entire meal, so we weren't rushed at all! We also went to Ikea for their birthday party sale and it was a mad house! We purchased a table & chair set for Lucas's Christmas present. It's unfinished, so we plan to paint it. Good thing we have almost 2 months...
#260 of 271 Old 10-31-2005, 03:28 PM

Steph we too went to the birthday party sale only to find that within the span of a week they sold the last of AND discontinued the sofa bed we had been saving for... and they don't have any of the sofa (sans bed) in stock at their store. Both of them - sofa bed and sofa - are being discontinued in spring 2006. WAAAAH! Because we were working to be responsible buyers and actually save for it before buying it, we lost out - shoulda been typical American shoppers and just bought it on credit and been in debt for a few months. SIGH... I'm glad you found what you wanted, though, and we like that table and chair set, too.

Does anyone know where I can get a plain, unfinished, short (kid-sized) wooden stepstool? I was staying in a bed and breakfast once for a conference and they had an antique stepstool with the following painted on it:

This is my little stepstool
it's sturdy, red and wooden
It helps me reach the things I can't
and lots of things I shouldn't

And I reeeeeeally want to have one for T. There is a mom at my school who would be happy to do the lettering and IKEA sells a red wood finish - not a paint, really, because you can still see the grain of the wood, more of a stain, I guess. So... any tips, let me know.

Postman is knocking, guess i ought to go see what he's leaving... xo j

#261 of 271 Old 10-31-2005, 05:42 PM

Jen, I have also had that happen to me a couple of times. You spend the time to be responsible and think about wether you really need it, then you save up the money or wait a month until you can buy it, and poof, it's gone! This happened with a Majamas dress I was saving up for to wear to my neice's wedding last spring. The site I was buying it from sold out two days before I went to buy it, and then I had to find it in the US, pay US dollars instead of Canadian dollars and pay a huge shipping bill. IT was terrible.

Oh, oh, I forgot to lock the filing cabinet and hurricane Andrew is emptying all the drawer, got to go.

#262 of 271 Old 10-31-2005, 05:59 PM

Jen, what a bummer about the sofa! I hate when that happens. We were there once and couldn't decide whether or not we wanted a stool for our office/library and then of course as soon as we decided we did want it, they were out.
#263 of 271 Old 10-31-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls

Does anyone know where I can get a plain, unfinished, short (kid-sized) wooden stepstool?
LeTarget, my friend. I noticed them just the other day. They are a plain, wooden sturdy square stepstool that I'm sure you could paint.

Sigh. I am so jealous of all those super healthy kids. Steph, thanks for the report. Cecilia has had a similar story, except the antibiotics don't seem to make much difference. Certainly the problem isn't gone by the time the medicine is.

Lucy's shoes sound so cute! So does her Halloween costume!

#264 of 271 Old 10-31-2005, 08:41 PM

I want to wish you all a safe and happy Halloween. We are about to walk out the door to go Trick or Treating at the local mall with My sister and her baby boy. I had an awesome evening last night, we had a bonfire out at the farm and I took some really cool shots around the fire. I didn't use a flash and got some really weird images.... feel free to check it out Here!
Looking forward to hearing about everyone's holiday.. and seeing pictures!

Love

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#265 of 271 Old 11-01-2005, 12:17 AM

We have had such a festive Halloween! Jessie (my SIL) and I hosted the best booth at the Halloween festival at Robin and my neice's day school - and we had adult time to get ready while the kids were at school this morning. MIL and I hunted up 100 rocks (about the size of a plum), hosed them down, washed them with sopa, rinsed them, and cut little stems for the., THen I painted them orange. SIL and I hot-glued the stems to them, and she cut out felt mouths with pinking shears. THen at our table the kids (3-4 yr olds) got to glue googly eyes and the mouths to make little rock jack-o-lanterns. It was a ton of work for me, but they were really cute and the kids had fun (and it wasn't candy-oriented)

Then we invited SIL, her 2 kids, and MIL (FIL is on hurricane duty, and BIL is doing re-building in new orleans, so they are both single ladies right now) over for breakfast-for-dinner and to go trick-or-treating. RObin was too cute - she loved it! She loved getting the candy, trying to ring the bell, and especially walking up to each door. We had the wagon and tried to pull them from house to house, but Robin wanted to walk. I have super cute pix of her holding Witt's (my nephew, 3 days older than her) hand and leading him up to the houses. SHe seemed to dig her bunny costume. SIL and WItt came back home early b/c he was pooped, but RObin loved it.

Jen - that sucks! So much for being responsible! MIL has an adorable little wooden stool with a similar saying:
This little stool is mine/
I use it all the time/
to reach the things I couldn't/
and lots of things I shouldn't.
But there's no way she'd part with it

Anna - love the cool bonfire pix - and the fall leaf pix too. Robin loves hugging her cousin too, and he just cries and screams. (But he's older than her - what a wimp ) It's so sad they the objects of their affection don't return it.

I'm going to start putting otgether a photo album!
#266 of 271 Old 11-01-2005, 01:38 PM

RABBIT RABBIT!

Um, is there a new November thread yet? I didn't see one...

T slept through but woke up to a bit of Jo's coughing at 5. In my sleepy stupor I insisted that Jo get up with him since her clearing her through woke him up. I guess he stayed awake an hour or two, because she did put him back to bed, and he woke up again at 8:30.

Was I too harsh on Jo? At the time all I was thinking was "You woke him up, you get up with him, I always bite my tongue but this morning I'm not going to!".

Your thoghts, please.

#267 of 271 Old 11-01-2005, 07:33 PM

Here are pictures of my daughter Pippi Longstocking.

It was so rainy that only bedraggled older teens were out trick-er-treating in our neighborhood, but we took her to an indoor shopping center where the shops were offering candy & there was a story hour & costume contest. She had a great time clomping around in her new shoes, watching the other kids, getting balloons and seeing "pumps" (pumpkins), and was generally indifferent to the candy.

So, post your costume pictures, those who haven't!

Lisa

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
#268 of 271 Old 11-01-2005, 07:42 PM

Lisa, those are so cute!!!
#269 of 271 Old 11-02-2005, 12:27 AM

Very cute pix of Lucy as Pippi! Loe the yarn hair!

Jen - I don't think that's harsh. Sounds fair to me. Unless she was really sick.

Here's our beach trip and halloween pix: http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...fromshare&Ux=0
#270 of 271 Old 11-02-2005, 12:42 AM

Oh yeah, Jen I forgot to tell you that I don't think it was harsh. Unless maybe you screamed it or something...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page