Mothering Forum banner

Sept 2004 Mamas - Welcome to Toddlerhood!

6K views 270 replies 26 participants last post by  JenInMpls 
#1 ·
rabbit rabbit!!!

:LOL

#3 ·
I've spent the morningin yard sale heaven:
First, a woman selling off all her baby stuff - all of it Gymboree, babygap, or old navy, some still with tags, all very hip and cool - $.25 per item! ANd I got a new native sling for $2 and a baby bjorn for $5 - both with all the paperwork! (I'll be passing these on to a friend who's pg with her 2nd - but her first is $5 and she has no baby stuff at all) I got lots of cute pj sets - all of the clothes were very BOYish, but I got a few things

THen - a giant church sale to benefit Katrina victims
THen - a giant neghborhood was having a neighborhood wide yard sale - park and walk to a few houses, then drive to the next cluster.

And Clint has RObin at his grandpa's....aahh, baby free yard saling!!

(I couldn't help it - found a few things for Tristan - so Jen PM me your addy so I can send them on.)

I have to say I'm glad to be in the toddler section. My energy to respond to infant posts was waning and I felt like a cycle wsa repeating after a year - Plus if I read one more "My baby is writhing in physical agony but I don't want to give him any medication b/c scientists are evil monsters who want to make him sick for the rest of his life and buying tylenol is equivalent to leaving him in a dumpster at the mall" (okay, i'm exagerating) post...I might crack (not to say that I'm not supportive of natural remedies, but I'm not supportive of dogma overruling common sense)

But really, I feel like robin is in fact a toddler: she walks, she eats food, she plays with other kids, she throws wicked temper tantrums, etc. So I'm excited to join a new forum and gain some wisdom from new BTDT moms!

I can't wait for halloween either!

#5 ·
I think it is rabbit, rabbit. :LOL

Today is Lilah's birthday!! We spent the morning running (well she riding in the jogger) in a women's only 5K. I was the second runner with a stroller to finish!

Happy October, mamas!

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissy
We spent the morning running (well she riding in the jogger) in a women's only 5K. I was the second runner with a stroller to finish!
you rock, mama! You must be in great shape! Happy birthday, Lilah!

Stacey - you thought it was rabbit rabbit because it *is* rabbit rabbit

Becca *envy* on the yard saling, how fun! When we had our neighborhood garage sale it was in the 90s and the air was soupy and hot. I pooped out by 11 in the morning and T was too hot to fall asleep in his stroller, so we quit after only 3 sales. Bought stuff for Tristan?! Wow! How did I get so lucky?! Thanks
and I agree with you on the striking a balance between natural healing and western medicine. I reach for the homeopathic remedies first but if T has a fever that just makes him miserable and the remedies I'm trying aren't helping it go away, I know that giving him some Motrin is going to help him sleep and the sleep is going to help him heal faster.

OK, I should be enjoying my alone time here while partner and baby are both asleep for their morning naps! getting up with T on the weekends really exhausts Jo :LOL but I'm still waiting for the day where she says "gosh, I can't believe you do this every day and don't take a nap and instead wash the dishes and do the laundry"...

xo, j

#7 ·
Happy October! I have been meaning to say thanks to everyone for all the nice wishes about Thor, and the helpful ideas. Yesterday and today I am feeling much less worried -- which is good. I was worrying myself batty, to where anything was making me cry. And I thought, well maybe it's AF finally coming, but no, still 6 days late. I've taken 2 preg. tests and both were negative. So, I'm thinking it's the stress of everything... though that normally doesn't affect my cycles. Ah well, I'll find out soon enough I guess.

Chrissy -- You rock, woman!

Becca -- I, too, am envious of the great garage saling. I love it. That's how I've gotten a good 3/4 of Thor's clothes, and they're so nice. And so CHEAP!

It's finally rainy here and fall-like. I'm glad, though. I love it when the leaves start turning and the air is crisp. It's so nice to go for walks this time of year.

Hope everyone is well.

--Ashley

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JenInMpls
you rock, mama! You must be in great shape!

I couldn't find you guys and suddenly it dawned on me - they must be in the toddler section!

Dp's dad was here today (we see him rarely) and it was great for the girls to spend time with him. I'm beat. Haven't been sleeping well this week (new job = bigger paycheck and way more stress and worry!). The girls, by some miracle, are both asleep.

Think I'll be watching a Six Feet Under DVD and crashing. Have a great Saturday night!

#9 ·
Clint took Robin to his grandfathre's house while I was yard saling and they are still not back - and won't be back until like 8:30!! I'm so engorged, but I put my pump up = I've decided I'm done with it. I'm only pumping once at work, and Robin gets a bottle in the morning on her way to school and the rest of that bottle when she gets picked up - But she doesn't really drink it - like if I send a 5 oz bottle she comes home with 3 oz. left inthe bottle. SO, I'm engorged, but I don't want to drag the pump out when she'll be home in an hour. I've checked in, and she's taken 2 naps and eaten well and is in a good mood. I just didn't fully realize DH was going to be stuck there all day (He rode with his folks)

On the plus side, I finished a good book (Maid Marian - it's the Robin hood story from her perspective, very cerebral and interesting), got my bathrooms cleaned and beds made, put RObin's clothes away, etc.

Chrissy - You kick Booty, girl!!

Almamiel - hope you get into a good groove on your new job. It always takes a while to settle in, but I hope your stress level lowers. Enjoy your adult evening!!

#10 ·
Ack!! Are we really toddlers now?! Yes, I suppose we really are... Iain has decided that, for the most part, walking is better than crawling, so he's toddling all over now. So cute!!
But so sad that my baby is so big!

Saw another mama with a September babe today at an event called BIRTH Fair. Her little guy looked so much older than Iain, even though Iain is 5 days older! Her babe was very thin, which is probably what made the difference. Iain's still got his baby cheeks.

Well, I haven't been around much and won't be this week, either. Getting ready for my big Open House. Still unpacking!! I hate unpacking!! And cleaning. Ugh. Then I have to actually get the stuff ready for the party. So I'm going to be VERY busy.

Chrissy, awesome job!
Happy birthday, Lilah!

Ashley, glad Thor is feeling better - and you, too!

Greetings and salutations to everyone... I hope I can catch up someday!!

#11 ·
ribbit, ribbit! See, the great thing about this, is I'm always the first one to say ribbit, ribbit (I know, it's not ribbit ribbit, but let's allow me to be my whimsical self, shall we?
)

Well, our fever broke this morning after two miserable days, and Andrew was up and at em! Then, about an hour later, I was in the kitchen making breakfast, and Andrew was being really quiet because he was messing with the stero -- which he's not supposed to do, but I just pretended I didn't notice
-- when all of a sudden a little boy walks around the corner, looks up at me very seriously and says "oh." (which is what he says for every word lately). And I look down and there is poop running down his legs, and poop on the carpet. So I wake up dh to help me and run to the bathroom to start the tub and get Andrew off the carpets, and dh comes in all muzzy headed and half asleep and says, "You want me to watch him while you clean the carpet?" to which i say "yes" and rush off to clean up the (much smaller) mess on the carpet while he cleaned up the boy

Anyway, so bottom line, Andrew no longer has a fever, but he has a sore tummy and I think he may be getting molars because he woke up from his nap today looking older. Strange,but true.

Alright, he is SCREAMING at me to pick him up again, despite the fact that he wanted down. Oh, he's stopped. What was that you were saying, YBecca, about feeling like you fit in on the toddler board now? :LOL Happy October! This is my favorite month of the year! Jilly

#12 ·
Happy October everyone! It is hard to fathom that we have toddlers now. I now have two toddlers.

We spent the day doing yardwork. Aerating, seeding, fertlizing, and throwing peat moss everywhere. I hope we end up with a green yard. I don't care to have the HOA after us.

#13 ·
Yep, she's a toddler. We went to our fair today and Robin LOVED the carosel - big smiles and waves for all the people looking on - and the super big slides. It was fun going down them with her. Wealso went with my SIL, neice and nephew - MY BIL is going to be in Louisiana for the next 3 months working to set up temp housing, so she's alone with 2 kids and is in her first trimester. We're trying to arrange our schedules so we an help her out as much as possible.

Hope everybody else had fun weekends!

#14 ·
Yes, my babies qualify as toddlers too all of a sudden. Most striking are their recent flop-backwards-onto-the-floor-even-if-it-means-I'll-hurt-myself temper tantrums over nothing. And William has started scrunching up his face dramatically and forcing a fake cry; I'm really hoping I can catch this on film....

McKenna took her first steps this week. So fun! And she learned a couple of new signs -- Daddy, and "excuse me" (hand over her mouth after burping or farting; quite cute!)

I had much to respond to, but now I've just woken up after a late night and can't think straight.

Love and blessings,
Savannah

#15 ·
Mielle's favorite word is currently.... "Stinker!" We laugh and tell her she's a stinker, she laughs and calls us a stinker. It's too funny. It never fail to make her laugh, even when she grumpy and crying. She knows that it means teasing and laughter.

Gotta go run errands, but will return later today to post for real.

Love to all

#16 ·
hi mamas,

BOTH of my kiddos are actually asleep!!! So I'm taking a few moments on the computer. I made a little photo album of Lilah on the day she was born and on her 1st birthday. It's in my sig. Man, looking at all her birth & newborn pictures really sent my baby fever into overdrive. Gotta lay off those for a while!!

Becca, how is Robin doing these days? is her face mostly healed?

anna, that is hilarious about mielle!

okay i really need to go be useful around here but i must tell you all that you need not be too impressed with my running. all of the real runners don't run with strollers. still it felt good to pass a few people. :LOL

off to tackle some dirty laundry,
xo,
c

#17 ·
But.

Chrissy.

You RUN.

Just the thought of running one block makes me feel like I should fall down, gasping and wheezing.

So I'm going to be impressed and you can't stop me

ok, poopy butt I gotta attend to...

j

ps Lilah NICE DRAGON!!!! *wow*

#18 ·
I am officially Not Pregnant.... That's right I just got my period. It feels awful. I forgot how rotten and miserable it is. Oh well, that's life.

I'm surprised at how relieved I am, we really aren't in a good position to be conceiving again.

However, I am excited to start charting my cycle, and hope to begin planning for our next baby.

thanks chrissy for including such a groovy link in your siggy. i'm looking forward to getting started. And wow, that Dragon is SOOOOOO cool!

Keeping super busy, but I found a little time to post on my blog (which I have been neglecting, big time!)

My MIL is spending the night tonight, so I had best get home instead of lurking about in my mom's computer room. mostly ignoring Mielle as she pulls objects out of boxes and spreads things around on the floor.....

Later

#19 ·
Not Pregnant either! Just got my period... It was a false start for us. We weren't really trying to get pregnant. But I think, from my DH's reaction, he'd be into trying for real next month !!

Lulu is a toddler. She goes down the big kids' (well elementry school kids') slides ALL BY HERSELF.

She just toddles to the edge, sits down and flies down it with a big gapped tooth grin on her face. Sometimes I literally sweat with anxiety as I watch her and I stifle an involuntary shriek. (FYI: I am standing by the side of the slide lest anything happen -- but not so close that I'm "throwing her off" her groove). Other people think I am the most relaxed mom they know. Little do they know...

Hey, if anyone's curious what Lulu looks like, PM me. I'm so dumb I haven't figured out how to post the pictures (i'd need a website, right?) but I HAVE finally figured out how to email them. I think.

Lulu's starting to say a few more words other than mama/dada/cat/dog. She said "hi" for the first time in response to a "big girl" ( a seven year old -- the idol of a toddler). She said "na" (no) very politely when I offered her a diaper change. My husband says she says "diaper change." (??) And she will say "yesssssssss" when you ask her if she wants to do something (like take a bath, etc.). She's definately imitating two-syllble words, but I am not sure she knows their meaning. I was shocked, though, that she seems to follow "commands" like "go give the bread to Honey Bear."

And Lulu also clearly chooses NOT to follow "commands" like "come here, Lulu!" She giggles and then scampers away.

Lately she's too figedy and active for books as much as before she was toddling. And man, her already miniscule appetite is just dwindling. As if eating is just tooooo boring relative to all the delights in the world....

Take care all mamas!

Liz

#20 ·
Chrissy - cute pix, and I love the dragon also. Looks like a good birth and fun party too! Thanks for asking about RObin. SHe never got scabs, which they say is a good thing. The scars are still really tough - they don't lie flat and are thick. So her facial expressions are still lopsided
We might end up having to take her to a plastic surgeon after all. I just don't want her to have to go through life answering "So, what happened to your face". Scars are inevitable and I wouldn't trade one of mine, but I want her muscles and skin to work right. We'll see - I'm still hoping it'll keep improving, as it has so far. I was putting up a few bibs yesterday and was trying to remember when I'd used them - I'd already blocked out the days when it was so bad she was drooling b/.c she couldn't swallow - Hopefully it'll all fade away.
Of course, she was feeling and acting like her normal self - and then started running a fever of 101.3! Can't we get a health break? I'm hoping it's just a cold coming on = we'll see.

Anna and Liz - sorry for your negatives - but glad you can start trying in earnest, if you chose.

Congrats to McKenna on her first steps! Good luck chasing her savannah :LOL !

Robin Loves slides too - she likes to climb them, sit and slide all by herself - and with her falling/injury track record, It makes me a wreck. We still haven't set up tthe slide my folks got for her birthday - but I think we're going to put it on the screened porch - they got us pads to put under it too. She always wants to get nto the toddler swings, but then tried to climb out - fickle girl.

She's been saying what I thought was "orange juice" but upon closer listening, she's saying "Robin's juice" It's too cute!! At school, her teacher is constantly trying to keep Robin's Juice separate from Hendley's Juice as they are constatnly trying to trade cups. I think it's great that she now asks for Robin's Juice all the time (even if it's water or milk, we call it juice - milk is moo juice and a EBM bottle is mama juice)

We closed on our house in atlanta today - after putting it on the market before RObin was born. So on the one hand, it's a big relief to sell it. On the other hand...I cried. I was so happy in that house - so much fun, good cookouts, good living. We got married, got pregnant, had our baby - all in that house. Oh, I love it.
I'm just so sad to leave it behind. alright, enough of the pity party!

#21 ·
YBecca -- Oh, I'm sorry about you missing your house. Houses are so.... full of emotion. I know how you feel. DH and I are planning on selling this house next September, but I already know it will be hard. Such cool memories... our first house together, getting pregnant, having Thor, all the firsts are here.

You all have such talkers! "Stinker!" That is so funny, Anna. The only thing Thor says, and I'm not really sure he realizes he's saying it, is "Muummmmmaaah" for me. I think he might say, "Hi" but it's not very clear. He is very clear that he understands LOTS of words, though, and it's so funny. He gets all excited if you say something he likes, like "nursing?" or "bath?" or "go bye-bye?" So that's good.

He seems to be pretty good, but his poops are still not normal, and he is SOOOO clingy. He seriously has wanted to nurse constantly for the last hour. The doctor finally called and said to watch for yellowing of the whites of his eyes, and if the poop isn't normal by Thursday to make a doctor's appointment.

OK -- So maybe I'll be next with AF, after Anna and Liz. Is there anyone else who's waiting on a late period? Mine is now a week late. And I don't feel like I'm starting it, except I've been a little emotional. I never had the excruciating sore nips this month that I've been having during ovulation of my cycles before. I wondered if that meant I never ovulated or if it meant something else...

#22 ·
Yeah, my period's been late for 21 months! :LOL I still haven't had one PP, which I can't complain about! I think there are still a few others - right?

Anna, so hard to find out your not PG by having AF show up!
Hope she's over and your feeling better soon.

I can't remember now how long I went without AF with Gabriel. I was thinking 11 months, but it might have been as long as 13. I just don't remember.
I was thinking it was in February, which would be 11 months PP, and then I got pg with Iain in December. I guess 10 cycles in nearly 4 years isn't too bad!

I am NOT looking forward to AF, but on the other hand, I bought a Diva Cup several months ago and it's still just sitting there! :LOL (And grossing DH out!
)

Iain is just walking SO much now! I can't believe it when he just toddles into the kitchen from the living room. He's walking all across the house whenever he feels like it! And he can climb, too. He just climbed up onto the couch, where DH had a plate he didn't think Iain could reach! Thankfully we were there and got it out of the way in time!

He loves phones and thinks remotes are phones. DH found an old cell phone and gave it to him to play with. I remember Gabriel loving them, too! He sees a phone and waves at it, and often says, "Papa," who is my stepdad. He's suddenly signing more, too! He just picked up "more" and does it much more accurately than Gabriel did. He also started clearly meaning "eat." So he will say "eat more." And of course "milk," "hi," etc.

Just growing up too fast!!

Congrats on McKenna walking! I haven't been keeping up well - is William toddling yet?

Oh, Savannah, I have friends whom it looks like will be moving to Phoenix quite soon! They have an 11 year old, 3.5 year old, and almost 2 year old. I guess with my ILs in Tucson and these friends going to Phoenix, we'll get out that way eventually!

I oughta make better use of my time, I guess! Take care, ladies! (And babies!
)

#23 ·
Hello!

Savannah, congrats on the walking (McKenna's, not yours)!

Anna and Liz, too bad, kind of, about not being pregnant. It's nice to know, anyway, rather than be in constant suspense.

Lilah's dragon and her party dress are awesome. She is so cute.

AugustineM -- I found out that I hardly said anything until I was almost 2, but then I started talking in sentences, so don't despair

Becca-- I'm glad Robin's healing up.

andrew also loves going down the slide by himself. Unfortunately just as he's getting mobile enough to really enjoy the park it is getting too cold to go there -- the high was 5 C today (40 F). I'll have to get him some proper warm clothes so we can keep doing stuff outside. He gets really squirrely if he's inside all day.

Oh my, my son has a temper! Last night, dh and I were watching a movie, and the tv was in our room, and Andrew was sleeping. Well, he woke up, and sat up and started watching the movie. So we turned it off so he would go back to sleep. Well, he started screaming and throwing himself around so badly I thought he was having gas pain, so I gave him some gripe water, but it didn't help. So I rocked him, and it didn't help. So dad came out and held him, which calmed him for a bit. But then I decided that since he was up I should change him. Well, this caused another fit of screaming and thrashing, which even Dad could not cure. Bottom line: he was up from 12:30 - 2:30, and he was screaming mad for about half of it. OR he had some mysterious medical problem that disappeared without us figuring it out. We have a fun few years ahead of us.

Well, I should go and clean. I made lasaungia to freeze for my friend who is due in 2 weeks, and one for me as a back up for fussy days, plus supper dishes are still strewn everywhere. We all had a 4 hr nap today to make up for last night around here, so nothing got done.

I shall be mostly offline for the week. Dh is going to a pre-ordination retreat, and I am going to hang out in Nipawin with my friend Sharon, whose dh is also going. We figure we can help each other -- she has a dd 2 weeks older than Andrew and a 4 yr old and she is 8 mos pregnant. So it should be fun. Have a great week, ladies! Jill

#24 ·
Chrissy, I love the dragon. And the dress!! Where do you find dresses like that?

I am so jealous of all these babes with hair!!! Kate still only has a few strands!
:

DH wants to start working on number 2, and I AM. NOT. READY. AT. ALL. I am still waiting for more than 4 hours sleep.

#25 ·
Hi all,

Chrissy, yay for doing the run and that is such a cool dragon! I saw him on a site the other day when I was looking at rocking things. My in-laws got Mari a rocking caterpillar

Glad to hear Robyn is healing. Hope those scars go away on their own!

Hope Thor continues to heal!

Mari is walking but she only does about 5 steps at a time and then decides that she is better off crawling. It doesn't help that she is such a fast and efficient crawler. I think she could crawl for miles! Friends of our have a 9.5 month old who is walking so I am trying to get her to encourage Mari to walk more.

But, she is still eating absolutely anything. I really hope she doesn't lose her willingness to try things. She can eat spicier food than I can!

She has such a large vocabulary now. I think it's up to 30 words or so by now. She is also finally talking in front of other people besides us so we know we aren't crazy. It's funny because the other night we went out to eat and we were just out for so long. She starts chanting "daddy daddy daddy car car car go go go go night-night night-night" over and over.
She doesn't get fussy, just tells us what she wants to have happen!

The neatest thing is that she seems to understand somewhat abstract concepts. I hurt my knee and was icing it. She was fascinated by the ice pack, and I kept telling her it was cold. She learned how to say cold. So, then a day later she was drinking some milk fresh from the frig, and she held it up and said "coooold". We couldn't believe it! She's done it with other words too. She's such a smarty pants!

So, my girl seems to be the most skilled with her mouth--eating and talking!
Those other skills will come along soon enough.

Holli

#26 ·
David is officially a toddler in my eyes. He pointed at something that he wanted the other day. I just about bawled. He is another kiddo than can walk for about 5 or 6 steps and then decides that crawling is much easier and much more efficient. I am not in any hurry to have him walk.

Chrissy that is such a cool Dragon! Can I have one????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.