First cookie and first major tantrum. Coincidence? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2002, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd is 27 months and we've managed to stay away from cookies, candy etc until now.

On Saturday, though, they had a party at her toddler's dancing class and the parents were asked to bring treats for party bags. Of course, I was the only one who took stickers. : Everyone else took sweets, cookies, chocolate etc.

I managed to get most of the stuff out of her bag and hide it away (for dh to eat out of sight ) but she'd seen it and I didn't want to make it more interesting by saying no altogether.

Saturday afternoon she ate one sugar cookie, with no noticeable effect, then at about eleven oclock on Sunday morning she ate half of another - one of those disgusting iced ones with a coloured picture of Santa on top. She was fine Saturday, but when she woke from her nap on Sunday at three thirty she was crying and really cranky. It went from bad to worse, and we ended up with an hour long tantrum, screaming, hitting, crying, throwing herself on the floor, climbing on things etc etc.

She has tantrums fairly often, but never this severe, they usually last five or ten minutes, but this time there was nothing I could do. In the end, she threw up violently, sobbed in my arms and calmed down, but there was no miraculous "I'm OK now Mummy" like she usually does. But of course, she could have thrown up just as a result of an hour's screaming.

So, my question is, how long would it take for sugar and junk to have this sort of effect? If it was the cookie, would it be the sugar or the coloured motif? Or is the time too long - four and a half hours - for it to have been the cookie? Maybe it was just a coincidence, any ideas anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2002, 03:36 PM

Hard to say, Britishmum, but I'd be more likely to blame the colorings in cookie's icing. Has your daily routine been upset by the holidays? Maybe she's just tired from too many parties or shopping trips.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:00 PM

not sure.. but this is one personal experience:
dd is 14 mnths and recently I let her have a piece of a chocolate chip cookie (kind of ashamed to admit it, but I was eating it and she was really interested and I 'gave in') a few minutes later, she started acting crazy..

she was wired all of the sudden.. it was really crazy. dh and I looked at each other and were like "ok, first and last time she is having this sugar crap"

crazy how it just wired them up!
Old 12-23-2002, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

daylily, I don't think it is overexcitement. She's excited about all the lights and decorations, but we haven't been shopping at all - I did it all on the internet, and her day had been quite routine until then. I don't think it was that, although I guess it's hard to tell. (Aside from givng her another cookie and seeing what happens, LOL)

I"m starting to think it was the colourings.:
Old 12-23-2002, 05:17 PM

I've got a friend who's DS can't handle the synthetic colors in candy and icing, too. He gets wound up and almost angry, she has to be really careful about what he eats. But, I think it's hard to be sure with just one incident.
Chi-Chi Mama, I wouldn't be ashamed, it's kind of hard to be sitting there eating something, telling them they can't have any! I sneak my cookies now.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sahara
I sneak my cookies now.
Yes, I have a lovely pan of homemade brownies that have been sitting pitifully in the fridge for almost a week now since I've had so little time away from dd in which to eat them. (And dd can handle cookies of the oatmeal kind but pure chocolate is too much for her -- she gets kooky.)
Old 12-23-2002, 05:57 PM

On our last roadtrip DH and I had to devise sneaky ways to hand Altoids and butterscotch candies back and forth to one another without DS catching on. It's like we're kids again!
Old 12-23-2002, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I sneak my chocolate fix during naptime. If I'm away from the fridge during nap, I get really cranky, although I don't throw an hour-long tantrum.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:06 AM

Every kid is different, but my ds1 was 4 before he had what I would call a major tantrum. It was shocking (and a bit funny!). But, he's been having cookies for at least 3 years!
Old 12-27-2002, 09:53 PM

Dh has adult tantrums when he eats foods with artificial coloring. My best friend's daughter (8) cannot handle red food dye. It caused her to get angry and violent (hitting) when she was a toddler (last time she tried it.) That stuff is bad news.

User Tag List