dressing battles! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 10-03-2005, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I don't really let them escalate into BATTLES, but ds is definitely fighting me on getting dressed all of a sudden. He's 19mo and this started a week or two ago. Why do they do this and what's the best way to deal with it? I don't usually let it escalate - I just tell him we can't go outside (or go to music class, etc.) until he's dressed and I'm trying to give myself extra time but he usually cries at least a little. I know everything is a stage, but how long should this one last?

TIA! Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-03-2005, 10:44 AM

how exactly is he fighting? my daughter started pitching a hissy fit any time we tried to put a shirt on her, but we discovered if we let her pick out the shirt (or at least led her to believe she did if she wanted to wear an inappropriate shirt-- like long sleeves in hot weather), she is much happier putting it on. she also enjoys putting stuff on "herself" (with help from us, since she's not that coordinated yet).
#3 of 6 Old 10-03-2005, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried the "choice" option a couple of times and it doesn't seem to really help... He lets me get his pants on one leg, then starts kicking his legs out of them. He also fights me on getting his shirts on. I do say, "here's your shirt - would you like to put it on?" And he'll take it, but only put it on his head. He's got the idea, but can't really *do* it yet. I will focus on that though and see if he will "let" me "help" him get his shirt on.

Thanks for the suggestion!

#4 of 6 Old 10-06-2005, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Can you put the clothes where ds can reach them to pick them out? That helps us. Other than that, I wish I knew what helps, because we have similar problems. It's all about control and transitions.

Jennifer DH Bill '97. DS C 2/03  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09
mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 of 6 Old 10-06-2005, 11:46 AM

I'm sorry to take comfort in your woes, but after this morning, your post was music to my aching ears! My dd is doing the exact same thing. I try to divert her attention on other things while I'm dressing her - sometimes works, most times not. This morning she picked out the most outrageous outfit, then, she wanted my older daughter to help her get dressed, but as soon as that started happening, she wanted her other sister to help, then me, then back to my older daughter... You get the drift. 45 minutes to get such a wee thing dressed (and in the end she was wearing a red blouse with no sleeves, sweat pants, two different socks, and a pink sweater).

If you find something that works, please share. In the meantime, maybe as your struggling to get your little fella dressed, you can take comfort that somewhere in Northern Canada, another Mama is going through the same thing but also having to do it again with her winter clothing (yes, we're wearing hats and mittens now too )

41 year old mama to three beautiful girls (19, 16, and 11)

Wildly, passionately, eternally in love with my dear husband.

#6 of 6 Old 10-06-2005, 01:46 PM

Maybe you could let your son put your shirt on you and then you put his on him? LOL. I know that probably is too time consuming when you are in a rush. :LOL

Maybe let him ride in the car to your destination in his diaper and then when you arrive, say "Oh no! Look, we forgot to put your clothes on. We better hurry and put them on so we can *insert activity*.

You could also turn it in to a game. Say "You better run away because here come's Mommy with your shirt! I'm going to get you!" Sometimes they'll think this is so fun and they'll be shrieking with laughter and won't notice that while you are tickling them the shirt is pulled on. I do this a lot with my son.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page