Help getting 19 month old to take meds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-24-2002, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to this forum (I usually hang out in diapering), but I hope you can help. My ds is on an antibiotic (I don't want to get into the should/shouldn't of antibiotic use as this one is really necessary) and I am having a terrible time getting him to take it. It is flavored but I don't think it is the flavor he objects to so much. Recently he quit allowing him to give him any herbs or supplements in liquid form that he readily took before. I think he has just decided he will not take this either. They can't put it into a chewable pill form and just told me I have to deal with it the best that I can. I tried mixing it in yogurt and even choc milk! He took one taste and, no way. Has anyone had similar experiences and found something that works?
#2 of 7 Old 12-24-2002, 08:24 PM

Have you tried using an oral syringe, rather than a dosing spoon? Parents tend to have more luck with the syringes, as they require less cooperation from the child. We always run out of the complimentary syringes before the spoons, because they're so popular.

Some pharmacies offer a flavoring service. At mine we can flavor nearly any liquid medication to another flavor of your choice, whether it came from our store or not. The cost is around 2.99 to 3.99. And your choices depend on what the drug is, but there's many choices, usually.

One other lady I knew would give her child a spoonful of chocolate syrup, which would coat the tongue blocking the taste, then give him the medication.

If the drug is something grainy like Biaxin suspension, the flavoring company suggested having a juice "chaser" ready.

Good luck! Wish I had some better suggestions for you.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#3 of 7 Old 12-26-2002, 01:02 PM

my dd's the same, one taste of her usual yogurt or juice and she can TELL there's med in it! She won't let us do anything to her - no temperature taking, no medicine, nothing.
I tried various things, and eventually got the medecine into her. I caved into mixing the medecine into a very small portion of yogurt-pudding (I live in Italy), and she ate it all, so I was sure she got the dose. Otherwise, the syringe thing works, just try and squirt the stuff into the side of the mouth, between cheek and teeth. Otherwise they just spit it right out. She had to be held still for that, 'cause there was just no other way.
#4 of 7 Old 12-26-2002, 01:24 PM

I agree the dosing syringe was the only way to go when my girls were that age. I did have to hold them on my lap so they would sit down-but it was quick. They really didn't fuss-as it only happened rarely.
Good luck!
Laura
#5 of 7 Old 12-26-2002, 11:09 PM

Well, this is no exaggeration: my strong willed ds would take the meds when forced...and then spitefully puke them out right in my face! So, we discovered that the dr can offer the antibiotic in the form of an INJECTION!!! This totally saved our lives. You give the kid one shot in the dr's office, and you're done! This is what we have done every time since the second med-requiring illness. It's the best. Ask your dr about it!
#6 of 7 Old 12-27-2002, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

OMG! I thought spitting it out was bad. He cries and then laughs . The injection is a great idea. I will definitely ask about that next time. What a nightmare this has been. We are using a syringe, but had not tried putting it into the cheek. We will give that a try tonight and see if we have better luck. Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions. I will look for more if anyone adds them 'cause we always need a full bag of tricks.
#7 of 7 Old 12-27-2002, 01:39 AM

Applesauce works for us- especially the cinnamon or berry flavored (organic) . Its just watery enough to mix in whatever, but its sweet so my four year old likes it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page