Moving with a 2 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-27-2002, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like there was another thread about this that I missed so if you want to direct my attention there, that would be fine.

We are moving into a new home a half hour away, and it will be ds' first move (he is 28 months.) I feel good about the house because ds gave it his approval by running and sliding up and down the hallway, and crying when I was ready to leave, but he may also wonder where those great fishtanks are when we arrive this time (belonged to the previous tenants.)

I feel like it will be hard for ds to accept the move. He has spent his life up until this point growing his sense of where things go and how things work...and we are about to really shake things up. This may be a good challenge for him to work through, but I guess my biggest concern is my capacity, my energy, to support him through a rough period. (I am pregnant, and tired, and with the move alone feel so much pressure.)

Anyway, advice is welcome. Mind you, he is a unique guy, not talking very much (just beginning to apply labels to things, but not at a stage of talking about his feelings or in sentences.) He communicates by demonstrating, more than by talking. Part of what he demonstrates is dependent on knowing where things are to point at their respective cabinet, door, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 12-27-2002, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
b'h

we just moved, 2 weeks before dd2 was born. dd1 was 27 months old. we just talked to her about it a lot to get her excited. her new room, new living room, big backyard (we were moving from an apt to a house). we talked about the things we'd hang up on the walls in her room etc. and we got her involved in the packing...it worked out pretty well.

(then baby came, so we still have a few boxes to unpack I guess that's normal)

good luck with the move! i know the feeling of moving when you're pregnant...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page